TurboTax Changes Not Being Carried Forward

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Kennedy

TurboTax Changes Not Being Carried Forward

Post by Kennedy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:13 pm

I am doing my taxes using TurboTax software (desk top version). I noticed that if I input information, continue inputting information and later go back to correct some information, the changes are not carried forward.

I had the same issue last year and had to spend time on the phone with TurboTax to help me get around this. I can't remember what we did, and I would prefer to avoid a similar phone call this year if I can figure it out.

What am I doing wrong? Is this a known glitch?

sailaway

Re: TurboTax Changes Not Being Carried Forward

Post by sailaway » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:16 pm

Are you saving the file each time? Even though I click save before exit, it still asks me if I want to save changes when I exit and I always say yes.

Topic Author
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:26 pm

sailaway wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:16 pm
Are you saving the file each time? Even though I click save before exit, it still asks me if I want to save changes when I exit and I always say yes.
I do click save from time-to-time. However, this morning I input information and clicked save. I later thought I made a mistake and went back and made a correction to this information. (My taxes owed at the top of the screen reflected I owed more as a result of this new data.) I subsequently realized that the change was incorrect and went back and put in the original numbers. However, the taxes owed did not decrease back to the original amount amount. I continued to click through and finish the section, but the taxes owed never reverted back to the lesser amount it said I owed with the first numbers I input.

Since I hadn't saved it after making the first correction, I went back to the last saved version, and the taxes owed did reflect the lesser amount as I had expected.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong...

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:34 pm

Kennedy wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:26 pm
I do click save from time-to-time. However, this morning I input information and clicked save. I later thought I made a mistake and went back and made a correction to this information. (My taxes owed at the top of the screen reflected I owed more as a result of this new data.) I subsequently realized that the change was incorrect and went back and put in the original numbers. However, the taxes owed did not change. I continued to click through and finish the section, but the taxes owed never reverted back to the lesser amount it said I owed with the first numbers I input.
Under such a situation, you might want to look in forms mode.

Topic Author
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:37 pm

SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:34 pm
Kennedy wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:26 pm
I do click save from time-to-time. However, this morning I input information and clicked save. I later thought I made a mistake and went back and made a correction to this information. (My taxes owed at the top of the screen reflected I owed more as a result of this new data.) I subsequently realized that the change was incorrect and went back and put in the original numbers. However, the taxes owed did not change. I continued to click through and finish the section, but the taxes owed never reverted back to the lesser amount it said I owed with the first numbers I input.
Under such a situation, you might want to look in forms mode.
Yes, I believe that's how the turbotax agent walked me through it on the phone last year. However, it's very inconvenient that the software doesn't automatically update the information owed in this event. And, it's hard to decipher what to do with the forms mode to make the proper correction.