Is the Bonvoy Boundless card worth the $95 annual fee?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
ChinchillaWhiplash

Is the Bonvoy Boundless card worth the $95 annual fee?

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:04 pm

This card has a lot of perks and a 100,000 signing bonus. We usually put around $80,000 a year on a card that is paid off each billing cycle. Never had a card with a fee, but this seems like it might be worthwhile for someone who vacations yearly. Hoping to get free nights in Marriott properties. What do you all think? https://www.businessinsider.com/marriot ... offer-2019

stan1

Re: Is the Bonvoy Boundless card worth the $95 annual fee?

Post by stan1 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:24 pm

How many nights per year do you stay in Marriott properties? I use my free night to offset the annual fee so yes it is worth it. Otherwise I only use the card at Marriott properties. In general I'd rather have the sure thing of cash back instead of hotel awards points.

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:26 pm

The signing bonus will tell you. What do you get for 100k points ? How much would it cost in $$ ? Is it something you would buy anyway ?

ShowMeTheER

Post by ShowMeTheER » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:43 pm

Yes, worth it for the sign on points so you can pick up anywhere from a few up to eight or so nights depening on the style/demand of the Marriott property. Outside of the sign up though, you’d find better value with other cards for your $80K spend.

greenflamingo

Post by greenflamingo » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:08 pm

It’s a great signup bonus. If I didn’t have the Marriott card I’d grab that, rack up a few more points, and spend five nights in a Ritz Carlton on my next vacation.

There is better point value in other cards if you don’t pay for Marriott properties occasionally.

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:19 pm

You also get one free night every year.

Plus. Mariott points can be transferred to airlines, including some valuable programs like Alaska. However, these benefits are lower than they used to be per $ of spend.

With that level of spend, I'd look into getting multiple cards and running up signup bonuses on all.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:43 pm

ChinchillaWhiplash wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:04 pm
This card has a lot of perks and a 100,000 signing bonus. We usually put around $80,000 a year on a card that is paid off each billing cycle. Never had a card with a fee, but this seems like it might be worthwhile for someone who vacations yearly. Hoping to get free nights in Marriott properties. What do you all think? https://www.businessinsider.com/marriot ... offer-2019
Signup bonus is nice, but I would sock-drawer it after putting the minimum required spend ($5k) on it to get the 100,00 points. The card earns 2x Marriott points, which are worth less than a cent a piece. So a simple 2x cashback card would beat it on everyday spend. I’d look for a different card for the $80k in spend.

I have the previous iteration of the card and keep it primarily for the “free” night every year that makes paying the $95 annual fee worth it. Though quite frankly, even that benefit is perhaps not worth the “slot” in my fleet of cards and I am considering getting rid of it and applying for an Amex Marriott care one of these days for a new signup bonus instead.

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:01 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:43 pm
Signup bonus is nice, but I would sock-drawer it after putting the minimum required spend ($5k) on it to get the 100,00 points. The card earns 2x Marriott points, which are worth less than a cent a piece. So a simple 2x cashback card would beat it on everyday spend. I’d look for a different card for the $80k in spend.
Just to clarify, the card earns 6x on charges at a Marriott property, and 2x on everything else.

The free night of up to 35K points on each anniversary year pretty much cancels out the $95 annual fee, so I don't think I would count this as a true annual fee card.

Anyone have a feel for how long this 100K point bonus may be in effect? We are leaving in a few days for Australia for 6 weeks, but I'd be game to apply for this after I get back. I'm also considering applying for one of the Chase Ink business cards, and I would probably want to do that before this card (to stay under the Chase 5/24 rule), but if the 100K will drop down to 50K or something, I'd want to apply before it drops.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:06 pm

That is a much higher bonus than I got. The card is worth it as long as you use the free night each year and I always do (well I forgot once.)

I think they had to increase the bonus to compensate for the new name.

Topic Author
ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:09 pm

I think it gives 6x points for select Marriott properties. I spend at least 5 days a year at Marriott properties so makes sense to have. Will run it up quick to get the bonus and use when I go to Marriott. Think I will look into another card too for majority of other purchases. Was looking at the Barclays Arrival + since it has the chip and pin for travel overseas. Also like that it can be used for any hotel or airline and no foreign transaction fees. 70,000 signing bonus. Gives 2 miles per $ spent and 5% miles back on redeemed points.

Topic Author
ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:12 pm

Horsefly wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:01 pm
TravelGeek wrote:
Just to clarify, the card earns 6x on charges at a Marriott property, and 2x on everything else.

The free night of up to 35K points on each anniversary year pretty much cancels out the $95 annual fee, so I don't think I would count this as a true annual fee card.

Anyone have a feel for how long this 100K point bonus may be in effect? We are leaving in a few days for Australia for 6 weeks, but I'd be game to apply for this after I get back. I'm also considering applying for one of the Chase Ink business cards, and I would probably want to do that before this card (to stay under the Chase 5/24 rule), but if the 100K will drop down to 50K or something, I'd want to apply before it drops.
Looks like it last up to April 24th as long as you spend $5k before then

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:25 pm

Horsefly wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:01 pm
TravelGeek wrote:
Right. 2x on everyday spend, 6X on Marriott. I personally don’t have a ton of Marriott spend. Not sure how much of the $80k of the OP would be 6X.

Even for Marriott, I would rather get 3x on my CSR, though (unless I was specifically working towards a Marriott award). See

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=192008&start=3300#p4395336

for details.
I have been able to get more than $95 in value over the last few years with the older Chase Marriott card. Which is why I kept it. But it’s not a life changing benefit to me and it might be blocking more attractive options (signup bonuses).

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:27 pm

Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:12 pm
Looks like it last up to April 24th as long as you spend $5k before then
Actually, the article you linked to points out that the offer for the Amex card (the Bonvoy Brilliant) ends 5/24. So you are right about that one.

I can't find anything similar about the Chase Bonvoy Boundless card, which is the one I'm interested in. I'm wanting to know when that offer expires. I guess it may be the same date as Amex, but I don't see any reason why Amex and Chase would coordinate such a thing.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:36 pm

Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:09 pm
Think I will look into another card too for majority of other purchases. Was looking at the Barclays Arrival + since it has the chip and pin for travel overseas. Also like that it can be used for any hotel or airline and no foreign transaction fees. 70,000 signing bonus. Gives 2 miles per $ spent and 5% miles back on redeemed points.
Another card I probably would not use for the bulk of $80k of spend. 2x with no category bonuses. And a $89 AF (waived first year). And the 2x is only worth 2 cents if you apply it to travel charges. A cashback card without AF would be simpler and likely cheaper. The 5% back strikes me as a bit of a marketing gimmick. I got the card recently for the $700 (70k points) signup bonus, but will cancel when the first year is up.

I’d probably look into the Chase Ultimate Rewards or Amex Membership Rewards “eco system” of cards to maximize the value derived from the $80k annual spend. Figure out what categories you spend most of your money on.

Lots of good discussion in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=192008

Topic Author
ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:47 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:36 pm
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:09 pm
Think I will look into another card too for majority of other purchases. Was looking at the Barclays Arrival + since it has the chip and pin for travel overseas. Also like that it can be used for any hotel or airline and no foreign transaction fees. 70,000 signing bonus. Gives 2 miles per $ spent and 5% miles back on redeemed points.
Another card I probably would not use for the bulk of $80k of spend. 2x with no category bonuses. And a $89 AF (waived first year). And the 2x is only worth 2 cents if you apply it to travel charges. A cashback card without AF would be simpler and likely cheaper. The 5% back strikes me as a bit of a marketing gimmick. I got the card recently for the $700 (70k points) signup bonus, but will cancel when the first year is up.

I’d probably look into the Chase Ultimate Rewards or Amex Membership Rewards “eco system” of cards to maximize the value derived from the $80k annual spend. Figure out what categories you spend most of your money on.

Lots of good discussion in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=192008
Thanks for the info. That makes sense. I have been using a flat rate rewards card, but it only gives 1% back. I like the idea of the rotating 5% categories. Might be worth have a few of those if the catagories don't overlap.

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:26 am

This is a bit off topic, but am I the only one that thinks the new names for these cards (Bonvoy Boundless / Bonvoy Brilliant) are terrible?

barreg

Post by barreg » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:17 am

alpenglow wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:26 am
This is a bit off topic, but am I the only one that thinks the new names for these cards (Bonvoy Boundless / Bonvoy Brilliant) are terrible?
You aren't alone. People have been making fun of the new "Bonvoy" name since it was announced

Faisal

Marriott Bonvoy Credit Card

Post by Faisal » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:11 am

Thinking of getting either the Chase version with its 95 dollar yearly fee and then perks. Has anybody applied for this card? Any input would be appreciated.

TravelGeek

Re: Marriott Bonvoy Credit Card

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:48 am

Maybe check out yesterday’s thread about the same card. :D

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=274380

For personalized advice, we’d need to know your personal travel goals, what other cards you have, etc. etc.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:26 am

^^^ I moved Faisal's thread into the on-going discussion.

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (credit card).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Topic Author
ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:58 pm

Found that you have until April 24 to apply and 90 days after that to spend $5000 to get the signing bonus