Why Working as a Senior Male is Wise...

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Gardner's Son

Why Working as a Senior Male is Wise...

Post by Gardner's Son »

As a 68-year-old man, I have decided that it is better for me to keep working than stop completely. In my case, I retired as a teacher in 2005. However, I have been fortunate to have flexible part-time work that I find very meaningful. In my case it involves working as an editor for a small publishing company and being an Executive Director with a small non-profit. Both jobs offer flexible hours and provide about $50,000 or so a year total. So my question for those individuals over 65-66 and who have taken SS is: Why do you keep on working?
Last edited by Gardner's Son on Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sailaway

Re: Why Working as a Senior Male is Wise...

Post by sailaway »

Why is it wise for you? Financially? Psychologically? Socially?
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I'm curious why does your gender matter since you mentioned it in both the headline as well as the post?

Small jobs or volunteering may be a good way for a single man to meet single like-minded partner.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I'm a senior male in his late 60s and am thrilled not to be working. I retired in 2013.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Gardner's Son wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:05 am As a 68-year-old man, I have decided that it is better for me to keep working than stop completely. In my case, I retired as a teacher in 2005. However, I have been fortunate to have flexible part-time work that I find very meaningful. In my case it involves working as an editor for a small publishing company and being an Executive Director with a small non-profit. Both jobs offer flexible hours and provide about $50,000 or so a year total. So my question for those individuals over 65-66 and who have taken SS is: Why do you keep on working?
I'm not there yet. But if money is not my problem, I would rather spend my time on travel or do anything that is not a job.
But I have no problem with other people who want to keep busy with a job, most of my fellow professors work into their late 60s or 70s. Hay, you may run for the presidency if you want.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

stan1 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:11 am Small jobs or volunteering may be a good way for a single man to meet single like-minded partner.
Or maybe they are perfectly happy being single and just enjoy the work, the meaning it brings to their lives, or the non-romantic company of others? Not all single people are on the hunt for a romantic partner some of us are happier single (I actually prefer the term solo).

To OP I am not in your age range but both my father and uncle work (83 and 80 years old respectively). They both work because they enjoy working, basically it is their hobby. My dad I think it finally going to retire (third time) this spring. I suspect he really will do it this time. He certainly didn't need to work for the money or anything. I also agree I am not sure why gender comes into this particular discussion OP.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:15 am I'm a senior male in his late 60s and am thrilled not to be working. I retired in 2013.
+1000

I am a senior male in mid-60's, retired 10 years ago and THRILLED not to be working......... :sharebeer
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Gardner's Son wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:05 am As a 68-year-old man, I have decided that it is better for me to keep working than stop completely. In my case, I retired as a teacher in 2005. However, I have been fortunate to have flexible part-time work that I find very meaningful. In my case it involves working as an editor for a small publishing company and being an Executive Director with a small non-profit. Both jobs offer flexible hours and provide about $50,000 or so a year total. So my question for those individuals over 65-66 and who have taken SS is: Why do you keep on working?
I think some old people keep on working because they want the challenge of work that they still enjoy.

If they don’t enjoy the work and have no need to work, then it may be a good thing to not be gainfully employed.

But some may have to work due to economic necessity even after taking SS.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Work would be great if only there weren’t those pesky expectations!
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

flyingaway wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:18 am
I'm not there yet. But if money is not my problem, I would rather spend my time on travel or do anything that is not a job.
But I have no problem with other people who want to keep busy with a job, most of my fellow professors work into their late 60s or 70s. Hay, you may run for the presidency if you want.
You can only travel so many months in a year. My first year I might have travelled 6 months, then it’s down to 3-4 months. That’s with about 3 trips per year. Plus don’t forget you need money to do all these travelling. They are not free.

OP, I say do whatever you want, it’s your life. No one size fits all.

Post by 123 »

When I've seen people in my company retire and then come back as part-time consultants or go to work elsewhere in new careers the one common factor I've seen is that these people are very work oriented and sometimes have no life outside of work. In conversations at work they never, or rarely mentioned family, friends, hobbies, or outside activities. Work provides a structured environment to fill their day.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

Like the OP, I have continued to work (currently 69) after retiring from my career job 7 years ago. I only work 10-20 hours a week and with reasonable notice my employer has no problem with my taking 2-3 weeks off to travel several times per year.
Since being fired or laid off is not a threat to me, I have a lot of freedom to speak my mind and do the job the way I think it should be done.

I like the mental challenge of my job as an break from other activities. While I love to read, I can’t do that 40 hours a week. The money isn’t something I need but it’s still a nice bonus; if it just ends up going to my grandkids that’s fine with me.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

stan1 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:11 am I'm curious why does your gender matter...
That was my first thought when I saw the title.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Jags4186 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:14 am Work would be great if only there weren’t those pesky expectations!
I doubt I ever had a day at work where I wouldn't have wished I could be somewhere else of my own choosing. I enjoyed my work, my customers, peers, and employees I supervised. I had a strong work ethic, I worked the hours that were required, sometimes just a 40 hour week, sometimes many more hours if major project or contract involved.

But, at the end of the day, it was still work.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

Gardner's Son wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:05 amAs a 68-year-old man, I have decided that it is better for me to keep working than stop completely. In my case, I retired as a teacher in 2005. However, I have been fortunate to have flexible part-time work that I find very meaningful. In my case it involves working as an editor for a small publishing company and being an Executive Director with a small non-profit. Both jobs offer flexible hours and provide about $50,000 or so a year total. So my question for those individuals over 65-66 and who have taken SS is: Why do you keep on working?
The bolded part in your post jumped out: work that I find very meaningful.

Sounds like you are enjoying yourself, keeping your mind sharp, and benefiting from the flexible part-time schedule you have had since retiring in 2005 from teaching.

Our sets of parents did very similar things after retiring from their full-time gigs by all being involved with part-time, flexible work at your age and beyond - including non-profit work. It wasn't about the money. They all enjoyed it for what I assume are the usual suspects: sense of identity, sense of purpose, mental challenge, routine, giving back, etc... The extra money was mostly used for giving back to others via charity, organizations, extra travel, and even grandkids.

We could both envision doing much the same.
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

cheese_breath wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:14 pm
stan1 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:11 am I'm curious why does your gender matter...
Perhaps because he is telling HIS story, and he stated this:

As a 68-year-old man, I have decided that it is better for me to keep working than stop completely (my bold!)

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

I would consider working part time for the mental stimulation if I could find a job that I enjoyed that I could do while traveling.

My wife and I live within a one day drive of my older daughter and granddaughters and on occasion she (my daughter) calls and asks if we can drive up to help out for a few days or a few weeks when her husband is traveling. She needs to leave for her job as a teacher before her young children need to leave for school and pre-school. When her husband is home his schedule permits him to take the kids to school however when he is traveling for work she needs some help and I am happy to do that as I enjoy having the opportunity to spend time with both my daughter and granddaughters.

Who knows, maybe someday I will find some work like this in our increasingly digital world. If not, I am happily retired and life is good!
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:22 pm
cheese_breath wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:14 pm
Perhaps because he is telling HIS story, and he stated this:
As a 68-year-old man, I have decided that it is better for me to keep working than stop completely (my bold!)
Broken Man 1999
True enough, and at the risk of piling on unnecessarily, the title Why Working as a Senior is Wise... still makes sense. OTOH, of the frequent gender specific nonsense I see daily, this doesn’t seem bad.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
NYnative

Post by NYnative »

There's no question that this is a very individual decision and, if you don't need the money, the choice is optional. Obviously, if you need the money, but have to retire for any reason, then part or full time work is a requirement, even after starting SS at whatever age you are fully eligible. I have friends who are in their 70s, collecting SS with lots of savings, and still work full time. Nearly all still working are male, only a very few female. I believe the male ego and sense of self worth is far more attached to work than for females. I'm not being sexist, just stating that this is what what I have observed from having worked with hundreds of people over the years in a white collar environment and staying in touch, at least occasionally, with many of them. Another factor is the difference between having done extensive planning for what you will do in retirement and doing little or no planning. Hobbies and friends are also a big factor. In my case, I hated my long commute, disliked the office politics and saw no future in what I was doing. And I wanted to travel, not have work responsibilities and have many hobbies.

Each to his or her own.
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

To each his own.

If you don't have to, why do it? Personally, I have a low tolerance for BS. I can barely read the news.
jacksonm

Post by jacksonm »

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Volunteering feels like all the good parts of work without the bad parts--except that the pay isn't very good.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

jacksonm wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:13 pm Image
I didn’t have this problem when I was working. Haha
Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 »

My plan was always to work part time in retirement. I enjoy being part of a business team, contributing, and being paid for it. I did not plan on IRMAA coming along. I'd have to work 150 hours to break even. Everyone has ideas on what you should do in retirement, whether work or volunteering etc., but only you know what works for you.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

My mother retired at 65, but continued to work part-time until 70.

If you enjoy working you should. Studies show that work is good for you and increases your life span.

Post by 2015 »

I find these "studies" highly suspect. Self-generative individuals do not need to work. I have entirely too much life to do and not enough time to do it in to work.
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

To be honest, I never understood those who want to retire early. I liked working as did my wife. All of our adult work had social utility. I also liked all the money and assets we accured by working, for me into my 70s and for my wife until her late 60s. I retired from the feds at 60, benefiting from the ever rising real estate markets in the DC area, to take a position at a B1G university.

I came to Washington to do good but all I did was well.

In my retirement job, I worked until I was 71, the money didn’t match my government salary BUT I had more authority than I’d ever had, had a great boss, was regarded as someone who knew what he was talking about, lived in one of the great college towns in the country, was able to buy the most expensive home we ever had, and purchased a condo for the weekends in Chicago. I was joined by my wife who retired from the feds as a branch chief and took a position with the state where the university was located.

I took SS at 65 because, as one of my colleagues said: “Who knows what’s going to happen.” My wife took SS as soon as she was eligible.

We now have four pensions, social security, over a mil in investments, and a house four minutes from the water in a beach community.

We no longer work. Intellectual slippage and exhaustion with a never ending barrage of tales of woe and grief did me in. My wife is as active as she ever was with volunteering and women’s groups.

We won, the benefits of working for over 40 years into my 70s, but different strokes for different folks.

Unconsciousable bragging now over.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Old Guy wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:16 pm To be honest, I never understood those who want to retire early....
As you say below, different strokes for different folks.

We won, the benefits of working for over 40 years into my 70s...
You won the race for riches, but not everyone runs that race. Some consider control over their own time to be more valuable.
afan

Post by afan »

123 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:03 am the one common factor I've seen is that these people are very work oriented and sometimes have no life outside of work. In conversations at work they never, or rarely mentioned family, friends, hobbies, or outside activities. Work provides a structured environment to fill their day.
This is me. I have almost no life outside of work and I definitely do not discuss personal matters at work.

Continuing to work as long as I can also is just proper financial management.

The present value of my expected future earnings is a lot of money. I have no intention of throwing that away.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
NYnative

Post by NYnative »

I understand your motivation. However, the future value of your earnings will always be a lot of money. Will you ever be able to throw that away? People retire when they believe they have adequate resources to live in retirement the way they want to. I know people who never retired until they were forced to, either because health, layoffs or other reasons out of their control. Some died at their desks with their boots on. One guy I remember well was the deputy general counsel of DOD. He was about 80. It took a few hours for anyone to notice that he wasn’t just taking a nap. The old “I’ll never have enough money to retire” may be true for many, but holding on as long as there is money to be made just doesn’t make sense. There is always money to be made.

But, you are right. If you have no life outside of work and you like what you are doing, you may as well leave all your money to someone else. OTOH, you could enjoy life while you still have it.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

I notice a lot of seniors working past the age where I would imagine they want to work. Women cashiers in retail, for example at the dollar stores, and men often as janitors, for example at the mall - and of course there is the classic example of Wal*Mart greeters. Maybe these elderly people just enjoy their work, but I doubt it because these jobs are not really what I would call meaningful work, and often they do not have smiles on their faces. I am guessing they are working out of necessity.

Makes me glad we were able to defer consumption and invest.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

I'm only 64, but no longer working.

It's terrific that you have found meaningful part-time work. After I retired at 60, I worked part-time doing some consulting two days per week for my former employer and ended up earning about $50k for the year as well until the contract ended. I enjoyed it and would do it again should I get a call.

That said, I'm thoroughly enjoying not working. I've been very busy preparing our primary residence for sale, and preparing our weekend/vacation beach home to become our new residence. Once we move, I expect to be taking some classes, volunteering in the community, and enjoying life.

At this point, I would never work just for the money - we have plenty. I might work if something particularly interesting comes along.

Now my wife is a different story. She tells everyone that she isn't retiring, just moving. She expects to find new work in our new location. There are tons of possibilities there - virtually every employer is hiring. She will have the pick of pretty much any job she wishes. She can stay in her current profession or try something new. She somehow just has to make up her mind what she wants. So far, no conclusions.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

Old Guy wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:16 pm To be honest, I never understood those who want to retire early. I liked working as did my wife. All of our adult work had social utility.
But surely, even if you enjoyed your job and found the pay acceptable, you've met people who either:

1) Did not enjoy their work as much or
2) Had specific interests outside work they wanted to spend more time on or
3) Made enough money to retire early and do whatever they wanted.

I get why YOU didn't want to retire early, but I can't grasp why you think everybody else would have the same experience ..... perhaps you worded that sentence badly?

To the OPs question (why work if you >65), I think it is vital to remain socially engaged and use your mind; that could be done in many ways and continued employment is one option. I do think there are people who have little life outside work and need a job to provide a structure.
GCD

Post by GCD »

Old Guy wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:16 pm To be honest, I never understood those who want to retire early.

I took SS at 65 because...“Who knows what’s going to happen.”

We no longer work. Intellectual slippage and exhaustion with a never ending barrage of tales of woe and grief did me in.

Edited, I think your post answers your own question. Some people actually want to enjoy their retirement.
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

I can see several reasons for working:
- enjoy the activity,
- stay involved, mentally sharp, have social contact,
- reduce draw from portfolio,
- postpone RMDs from 401K.
I don't carry a signature because people are easily offended.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

My observation is that for some people retirement is a joy and freedom and for others it is a major existential crisis.

My advice: know thyself before taking the plunge.
beyou

Post by beyou »

GoldenFinch wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:57 pm My observation is that for some people retirement is a joy and freedom and for others it is a major existential crisis.

Things are never black or white. I am truly looking forward to retiring yet scared to death. No matter how much I do the math and dream of having free time, I think about money on the table and fear being bored. And honestly everyone I know thinks it shocking to consider retiring in my 50s. People discussing FIRE ok this board are a small minority of society. In my experience most people HAVE to keep working, and those making big $ WANT to keep working.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

I am asked at least 1x week "when are you going to retire?" At age 63 it is something that I have not given serious consideration to. When it is time, I will know it.

Why keep working?
1. What else would I do with my time? With every investment one holds, we are faced with "do I sell?" If one sells then what does one re-invest in? Similarly this is how I look at my time. If I do not work, what will the investment in my time be in?
2. Obviously the decision to remain working involves not only compensation, but satisfaction. Would I enjoy my time doing something else? Not yet.
3. Am I treated fairly? Absolutely. The management treats me well and with respect.
4. Is the career "infrastructure" manageable? The commute is about 50 feet from the kitchen to my office. Travel to see my customers is 2-3x per week...frankly a nice break from the office. My employer is less than 25 minutes away, so a quick trip to manage my accounts within the office is not difficult.
5. The social structure of the career is enjoyable. I work with great people and my clients are very reasonable. I am good at sales and am constantly getting referrals. In return, customers are treated fairly with high levels of service and product at a fair price.
6. There are enough outside interests in my life to fill my non working hours - astronomy, biking, weight lifting, gardening, reading, slide rules (yes, performing math with a slide rule), guitar (attempting to learn music theory), and railroads (not models, but the big trains). These interests fill my time adequately while working....what would I do to fill an additional 40-50 hours per week?
7. My health is very good. No reason yet to use that as a determining factor to retire. Included in that is the mental stimulation provided.

When there is a shift in the industry which is my career, or a shift within my employer, then it will be time to reassess.

Meanwhile it is Sunday night and I am ready to resume work tomorrow morning. I call that the "Sunday night rule"...how does one feel on Sunday night....ready to work or dreading work?

Ed
FBN2014

Post by FBN2014 »

Julius Westheimer was a well known financial advisor and journalist who appeared for 29 years on Wall Street Week till age 85, wrote a weekly financial column and maintained a practice well into his late 80s. Reminded me a lot of Mr. Bogle with his common sense approach to investing.
"October is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May March, June, December, August and February." - M. Twain
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

MP173 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:46 pm I am asked at least 1x week "when are you going to retire?" At age 63 it is something that I have not given serious consideration to. When it is time, I will know it.
Agreed! You will know when it's time to retire. Sounds like you are having too much fun to change. Good on you!
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
GoldStar

Post by GoldStar »

You didn't answer or explain your own statement. It's wise because its meaningful(?) In what way?
cinghiale

Post by cinghiale »

2015 wrote,
I find these "studies" highly suspect. Self-generative individuals do not need to work. I have entirely too much life to do and not enough time to do it in to work.
I would add that there’s some evidence/indication that those who tend more toward introversion do better in retirement than those who are more extraverted.

Currently a few years into retirement and I cannot imagine having to work again. I would seriously cut back on my spending and would aggressively simplify my lifestyle rather than go back to paid labor. Poster Old Guy has “never understood those who want to retire early.” I would ask back, How and why have you concluded that life is only meaningful if you are committed to something that you will only do if someone is paying you to do it?

Now, without all my cognitive energy and focus being poured into my work, there are places to see, books to be read, museums to be visited, music to be experienced, health to maintain, recipes to be tried, football to be viewed, new people to meet. Everyone’s list will look different, but I’m sure most anyone could easily compile an inspired list.

Call this, “Why Retiring while still Healthy and Active is Wise...”
Last edited by cinghiale on Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell
celia

Post by celia »

First, there aren’t enough job openings available for every single male in his sixties, even if they all wanted to work.

Second, you took 2 of those jobs, more than your “share”.

Third, your skills/background made it a good fit for you but others may not find a job that suits their skills/ interests.

You are fortunate to be in your situation. You would likely be fortunate even without these jobs.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

I'll keep working as long as I'm able.

My FIL stopped working after he retired. A couple years later he had Parkinson's, had a stroke and now can't walk. Working kept him fresh, lack of work broke him.
NYnative

Post by NYnative »

Unlikely. Parkinson’s is unrelated to working or not working. Many people are affected by Parkinson’s in the prime of their working years. Strokes can be from many, many, causes. Lack of work stress is generally not one of them.

My father retired at 65 and died from cancer at 70. Not caused by retirement- but from exposure to carcinogens while he was working. Had he retired at 62, he would have had 3 more years to enjoy retirement.

Last I checked, no one, on their death bed, ever expressed regret at having not worked longer.
SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater »

sunny_socal wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:29 pm I'll keep working as long as I'm able.

My FIL stopped working after he retired. A couple years later he had Parkinson's, had a stroke and now can't walk. Working kept him fresh, lack of work broke him.
Or you could argue that he missed out on some good health years in retirement before the Parkinson's and stroke. Those aren't caused by retiring.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

To me I dont work...I do what I love to do and have for 40 years...Now are there some days when I think I am getting too old for this stuff? Yea...of course..but as long as someone will hire me I want to work til they fire me...and that will happen...anyone in coaching knows you are either getting fired, getting closer to being fired or they cant find anyone any better than you so you are ok for now...they will fire you later..LOL..but really I am only 64 and I would love to work as long as its fun..and as long as I am worth my salary.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

beyou wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:27 pm
GoldenFinch wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:57 pm My observation is that for some people retirement is a joy and freedom and for others it is a major existential crisis.

Things are never black or white. I am truly looking forward to retiring yet scared to death. No matter how much I do the math and dream of having free time, I think about money on the table and fear being bored. And honestly everyone I know thinks it shocking to consider retiring in my 50s. People discussing FIRE ok this board are a small minority of society. In my experience most people HAVE to keep working, and those making big $ WANT to keep working.
Yeah, so I can relate. I just retired on Jan 1 at age 53. It IS scary. But fortunately, no boredom yet! And I've only left the property about once a week. But I'm cool with that. Definitely an introvert. But I'm really looking to get outdoors once the weather warms up.

Just had my retirement party over the past weekend. Some folks I worked with 30+ years ago, and have maintained contact with showed up. They were like, "How old are you, 58-60?" When I said 53, jaws literally dropped.

They've all been in tech for 30+ years too, so they know the math is possible. But very few people put the plan in place early on (I started investing when I was 22), and then follow through with it all over time.

I'm still not sure I made the right choice. Maybe I would have enjoyed lifestyle inflation more than I imagined. Or maybe a beach house would be nice too.

And at $200k per year in an average COL area, I'm probably leaving a lot on the table.

But one of the advantages I see is that I can give it a try at 53, and if I don't like it, I can still get a good job, at least for the next 3-4 years.

And I trust the opinion of someone like The Timelord, who took a year off, then went back by choice, more than those who keep working and working and have never tried the alternative.
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
Bir48die

Post by Bir48die »

Interesting because pretty much all of my friends and acquaintances who taught retired in their early to mid 50's. Then any additional work was double dipping on the PERS system with additional income. I'm in the camp of not working. In fact I just shut down a consulting gig of which I would do maybe four hours a year and was even tired of that due to preparation for each call.

The only time I'm bored is when I'm sick and I'd be bored sick if I was still working.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

As the old saw goes... Some live to work, and others work to live.

I'd like to say "to each his own." But the issue as I see it is the former are more likely to rise to the top of the organization, and then they expect the others to be like them.