Why Working as a Senior Male is Wise...

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
OldBallCoach

Re: Why Working as a Senior Male is Wise...

Post by OldBallCoach »

cheese_breath wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:39 pm As the old saw goes... Some live to work, and others work to live.

I'd like to say "to each his own." But the issue as I see it is the former are more likely to rise to the top of the organization, and then they expect the others to be like them.
Its crazy but in coaching everyone better work AT LEAST as much as the head coach..failure to do that usually ends poorly in the long run. I have also been in places where the HC is smart enough to know that when his staff is happy at home they will do a better job as a coach. I think that applies about everywhere...
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

OldBallCoach wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:43 pm
cheese_breath wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:39 pm As the old saw goes... Some live to work, and others work to live.

I'd like to say "to each his own." But the issue as I see it is the former are more likely to rise to the top of the organization, and then they expect the others to be like them.
Its crazy but in coaching everyone better work AT LEAST as much as the head coach..failure to do that usually ends poorly in the long run. I have also been in places where the HC is smart enough to know that when his staff is happy at home they will do a better job as a coach. I think that applies about everywhere...
I didn't say anything about coaching. And a sports team analogy doesn't apply even though the type A's would like to convince the type B's it does. Forcing everyone to work 60-80 hours per week because the boss-man enjoys it breeds discontent, not happiness.

"The beatings will continue until morale improves."
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

celia wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:40 pm First, there aren’t enough job openings available for every single male in his sixties, even if they all wanted to work.
In my part of the country there are.

Plenty of jobs remain unfilled.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

cheese_breath wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:14 pm
stan1 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:11 am I'm curious why does your gender matter...
That was my first thought when I saw the title.
I'm wondering how "single" got into it.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Retired in 2004 and since I don't fish, got a P/T job at the library which I continue to enjoy doing.
Last edited by joe8d on Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All the Best, | Joe
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

montanagirl wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:37 pm
cheese_breath wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:14 pm
stan1 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:11 am I'm curious why does your gender matter...
That was my first thought when I saw the title.
I'm wondering how "single" got into it.
And why is he asking about "working"?
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

cinghiale wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:24 pm
2015 wrote,
I find these "studies" highly suspect. Self-generative individuals do not need to work. I have entirely too much life to do and not enough time to do it in to work.
I would add that there’s some evidence/indication that those who tend more toward introversion do better in retirement than those who are more extroverted.

Currently a few years into retirement and I cannot imagine having to work again. I would seriously cut back on my spending and would aggressively simplify my lifestyle rather than go back to paid labor. Poster Old Guy has “never understood those who want to retire early.” I would ask back, How and why have you concluded that life is only meaningful if you are committed to something that you will only do if someone is paying you to do it?
My goodness, do you know me?

As an extreme introvert who worked many years in positions that required me to act as an extrovert to be successful, I found retirement the chance to start to breathe, along with allowing me to live my life as I wanted to - not as my employer and positions held required me to act, for decades.

The last dozen years of my life, spent in retirement, have been the best years of my life TYVM.

As to the OP? I hope that he along with others that feel the same, continue to work until the day they no longer can. They can continue to contribute to my monthly SS income :wink: ...

- Ron
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

Different life stories, but a common thread. Retire not from, but to. To each his own.
beyou

Post by beyou »

MathIsMyWayr wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:17 am Different life stories, but a common thread. Retire not from, but to. To each his own.
Nice sentiment, but since many people retire as a result of a layoff, this is often unplanned.
Yes one could "prepare" but if one wants to work to 65 and is laid off at 55, you will not likely be prepared.

Personally with a 3 hour min commute and many responsibilities at home, my life was a treadmill.
No, I didn't spend any time thinking about what I would do if I had lots of free time on my hands.
I dreamed of one thing, having NOTHING TO DO.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

beyou wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:21 am
MathIsMyWayr wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:17 am Different life stories, but a common thread. Retire not from, but to. To each his own.
Nice sentiment, but since many people retire as a result of a layoff, this is often unplanned.
Yes one could "prepare" but if one wants to work to 65 and is laid off at 55, you will not likely be prepared.

Personally with a 3 hour min commute and many responsibilities at home, my life was a treadmill.
No, I didn't spend any time thinking about what I would do if I had lots of free time on my hands.
What a terrible way to live, no wonder some folks are just treading water until retirement.
I truly hope the goal is not to "have nothing to do" and that's just a manner of speech.
beyou

Post by beyou »

smitcat wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:26 am

What a terrible way to live, no wonder some folks are just treading water until retirement.
I truly hope the goal is not to "have nothing to do" and that's just a manner of speech.
Maybe better said, the option of not having to do anything.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

beyou wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:31 am

That certainly sounds like a good option.
If you have not had the time to do things you like for many years I am hoping your 'list' is long and you will enjoy it all.
beyou

Post by beyou »

smitcat wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:33 am
beyou wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:31 am

That certainly sounds like a good option.
If you have not had the time to do things you like for many years I am hoping your 'list' is long and you will enjoy it all.
Actually I enjoyed working and family activities, but kids are out of the nest and work went downhill after moving to a megacorp from another job I loved. Megacorp knocked to love of work out of me. So at this point it's try and find another job I would like (doubtful for various reasons), or retire and enjoy the free time to get in shape and maybe do some volunteer work. Not a golfer nor do I love to travel...but I may do some travel as the wife would enjoy it. I lean towards retirement, really hating the treadmill. So yes I am retiring FROM not TO something. And it does not bother me at all.
slyfox1357

Post by slyfox1357 »

Why does gender matter and how is it 'wise' for you? Missing the point here, plus you haven't responded now to any of the follow-up questions, even after 30+ replies. :confused
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

slyfox1357 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:20 am<snip...>plus you haven't responded now to any of the follow-up questions, even after 30+ replies. :confused
Probably too busy working :twisted: ...

- Ron
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

munemaker wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:19 pm I notice a lot of seniors working past the age where I would imagine they want to work. Women cashiers in retail, for example at the dollar stores, and men often as janitors, for example at the mall - and of course there is the classic example of Wal*Mart greeters. Maybe these elderly people just enjoy their work, but I doubt it because these jobs are not really what I would call meaningful work, and often they do not have smiles on their faces. I am guessing they are working out of necessity.

Makes me glad we were able to defer consumption and invest.
Most of them ARE working out of necessity. In the rarefied bubble of this forum many dont realize it but out in the real world many elderly people need the income to get by and put food on the table. Both my and my wife's parents are in this situation and still working (or just barely scraping by on a minimalist SS income lifestyle) in their 70s. I truly worry what will happen when declining health becomes an insurmountable barrier and the income stops coming in a few more years.

One thing to think of when you just keep working forever because you have nothing better to do: there are probably others out there that need that job and income (both poor seniors and young entry level folks struggling to break into their first real job) a lot more than you do. Maybe take up volunteer work?
NYnative

Post by NYnative »

Seniors working at semi-menial jobs is very common. From Walmart greeters and cashiers to elderly baggers, cashiers and stock boys in supermarkets. As well as cleaners in malls, etc., etc. I don't think any of these folks would be doing those jobs if they had the money to afford living or there was something they could do that paid more. As a grey haired guy myself, I've had casual conversations with some of these workers and, in every case, they were working out of necessity and, at 70, 75 or older, there aren't many places they can find work. I didn't ask about their pasts, but nearly all said they would continue working until they physically couldn't.

I take care to not judge people in these situations, where it's pretty obvious that they didn't save enough or plan for retirement. Not sure if this was said earlier, but there was an article in the local paper that said 40% of adults would not be able to come up with $400 to cover an emergency expense. It's a sad situation and doesn't bode well for the next generation of retirees (or elderly still working non-retirees).
Last edited by NYnative on Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:15 am I'm a senior male in his late 60s and am thrilled not to be working. I retired in 2013.
Likewise, I'm a male in my mid-60's, retired two years ago, and I'm kept pretty much busy with daily housework, yard work, daily walking, and volunteering. Still truckin' along, enjoying not having to worry about the phone ringing ...
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

NYnative wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:03 pm Seniors working at semi-menial jobs is very common. From Walmart greeters and cashiers to elderly baggers, cashiers and stock boys in supermarkets. As well as cleaners in malls, etc., etc. I don't think any of these folks would be doing those jobs if they had the money to afford living or there was something they could do that paid more. As a grey hired guy myself, I've had casual conversations with some of these workers and, in every case, they were working out of necessity and, at 70, 75 or older, there aren't many places they can find work.
Walmart may not be such a place much longer.
Walmart employees with disabilities could lose their jobs as the retailer changes its “store greeters” policy.

More than 1,000 store locations are replacing their greeters with an expanded “customer host” position, which will require employees to lift “25 pounds, clean up spills, collect carts and stand for long periods of time,” among other tasks, NPR reported. The policy change is scheduled to go into effect in April.

While the new position will include higher pay, it seems that the change will disproportionately affect people with physical disabilities.
Guess I'll have to check out employment at the local Burger King ... :annoyed
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
NYnative

Post by NYnative »

I've never seen an "older" worker at In N Out Burger. Not even more than a handful of over 40 types. Nearly all are kids.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:14 pm
NYnative wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:03 pm Seniors working at semi-menial jobs is very common. From Walmart greeters and cashiers to elderly baggers, cashiers and stock boys in supermarkets. As well as cleaners in malls, etc., etc. I don't think any of these folks would be doing those jobs if they had the money to afford living or there was something they could do that paid more. As a grey hired guy myself, I've had casual conversations with some of these workers and, in every case, they were working out of necessity and, at 70, 75 or older, there aren't many places they can find work.
Walmart may not be such a place much longer.
Walmart employees with disabilities could lose their jobs as the retailer changes its “store greeters” policy.

More than 1,000 store locations are replacing their greeters with an expanded “customer host” position, which will require employees to lift “25 pounds, clean up spills, collect carts and stand for long periods of time,” among other tasks, NPR reported. The policy change is scheduled to go into effect in April.

While the new position will include higher pay, it seems that the change will disproportionately affect people with physical disabilities.
Guess I'll have to check out employment at the local Burger King ... :annoyed
Walmart hired the greeters who were on the their last legs and then took out 100K life insurance policies on them. Once that scheme was exposed, they had to stop.
All the Best, | Joe
Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 »

I cannot wait until I can retire so I can do whatever it is I want with no career in the way.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

The Walmart debacle.

This is my opinion. This is just another example showing it's hard to find an employer that values worker loyalty.

Save hard, invest and build an emergency fund. Once you're FI or 25x or 33x, get out while you can.

If you think you're safe maybe think a bit more.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || VTI/VXUS/AOR
ad2007

Post by ad2007 »

beyou wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:27 pm In my experience most people HAVE to keep working, and those making big $ WANT to keep working.
Very true
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Ron wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:44 am
cinghiale wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:24 pm
2015 wrote,
I find these "studies" highly suspect. Self-generative individuals do not need to work. I have entirely too much life to do and not enough time to do it in to work.
I would add that there’s some evidence/indication that those who tend more toward introversion do better in retirement than those who are more extroverted.

Currently a few years into retirement and I cannot imagine having to work again. I would seriously cut back on my spending and would aggressively simplify my lifestyle rather than go back to paid labor. Poster Old Guy has “never understood those who want to retire early.” I would ask back, How and why have you concluded that life is only meaningful if you are committed to something that you will only do if someone is paying you to do it?
My goodness, do you know me?

As an extreme introvert who worked many years in positions that required me to act as an extrovert to be successful, I found retirement the chance to start to breathe, along with allowing me to live my life as I wanted to - not as my employer and positions held required me to act, for decades.

The last dozen years of my life, spent in retirement, have been the best years of my life TYVM.

As to the OP? I hope that he along with others that feel the same, continue to work until the day they no longer can. They can continue to contribute to my monthly SS income :wink: ...

- Ron
I'm the same way. Current day job requires me to interact with people for 5+ hours/day, very little actual "work." It drains me. Can't wait to work on something by myself! :beer
DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny »

I retired 10 years ago at age 42.

I find life itself meaningful. And don't need work for that.

I have countless hobbies and interests that fill my day.

Some of my golf buddies retired. And were bored, so they work part time now. I feel sorry for those guys.

Not a chance I ever work again.
Funding secured
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

sunny_socal wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:29 pm I'll keep working as long as I'm able.

My FIL stopped working after he retired. A couple years later he had Parkinson's, had a stroke and now can't walk. Working kept him fresh, lack of work broke him.
Surely you are not serious.

Lack of work wasn't the problem. Many many people retire and remain healthy and active. Your FIL's misfortune is no reason for you to work until you drop. It's possible there might be a lesson in what he (or did not) do after he retired. Or he might have just been unlucky. People can do everything "right" and still have bad outcomes (which really sucks .... but that's the way it is).
Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 »

DanMahowny wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:56 am I retired 10 years ago at age 42.

I find life itself meaningful. And don't need work for that.

I have countless hobbies and interests that fill my day.

Some of my golf buddies retired. And were bored, so they work part time now. I feel sorry for those guys.

Not a chance I ever work again.
Oh I am jealous. 55 is my magic number. 21 years. Congrats.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

TN_Boy wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:48 pm
sunny_socal wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:29 pm I'll keep working as long as I'm able.

My FIL stopped working after he retired. A couple years later he had Parkinson's, had a stroke and now can't walk. Working kept him fresh, lack of work broke him.
Surely you are not serious.

Lack of work wasn't the problem. Many many people retire and remain healthy and active. Your FIL's misfortune is no reason for you to work until you drop. It's possible there might be a lesson in what he (or did not) do after he retired. Or he might have just been unlucky. People can do everything "right" and still have bad outcomes (which really sucks .... but that's the way it is).
I retired at 56.

DW had a stroke two years ago.

If I'd waited until 65 to retire, that would have been nine less years we could have spent together in retirement.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Topic Author
Gardner's Son

Post by Gardner's Son »

OP here -- Sorry I have not been in on the conversations. My main reason for staying employed is a defense against becoming too emotionally/socially isolated as I grow older. I saw this in my father's life and the lives of older men I know. They withdraw, go without social interaction, etc. I was just wondering if other older men view this as a problem or is it just me...
Tamalak

Post by Tamalak »

I plan to retire at 40. Social stimulation is easily found online for me. I don't need a job for it, personally.
Calico

Post by Calico »

I plan on working well past 65 if I can (woman here by the way and I am not a senior either). I plan to do so for the same reasons as the OP. I am single (divorced) and don't plan on marrying again so I have no one to spend my retirement years with. I have friends and hobbies, but I can't imagine they would take up 40 hours a week. Friends have their lives outside of me and my main hobbies are reading, coin collecting, and scuba diving. I can't do any of those things every day except read and even then, I can't read non-stop for days at a time.

People I've known who fully retire and are alone (like I am) seem to atrophy physically, socially, and emotionally. The ones who do work tend to "stay young" longer. And they still get to do things with friends, neighbors, do hobbies, and even travel. I have a few working, senior neighbors who do these things as well as relatives.

Granted, I just want a little part time job, something without a lot of stress but I can interact with people too. I'd be up for being something like a Walmart greeter. I like saying hello to people and helping if I can. And little extra money in retirement couldn't hurt either. I'm not a big earner with a six figure salary (or in a dual income household) like a lot of people in this forum.
I am a mere Boglehead apprentice... even after all these years.
JerryS

Post by JerryS »

Today is my 5 year anniversary of retirement. The first 3 years I enjoyed being unstructured, doing projects around the house. Then I wanted more. I looked around for local opportunities to donate my time but found none. I then took on a part-time job at my local box store. I work in the lumber department, which is great for me since I do woodworking as a hobby. I enjoy helping customers with their projects and working and interacting with others (I'm not a friendly guy on my own). The work can be physically challenging, but not stressful. They give my about 25 hours a week, which is more than I had planned and the schedule is erratic, which is retail. I get to put in for about 3 vacations/year. When my wife retires, things might change. I don't need the money, but it's nice. I'll be 68 soon and, for now, it fills my week enjoyably.
Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 »

I want to be just like Peter in the movie Office Space.
I'd retire today if I could swing that.
FootballFan5548

Post by FootballFan5548 »

I'm still in my 30's and have a loooong way to go, 20 years minimum.

However, I've always been a huge sports fan (see name), so I'm already looking into part time officiating of high school games. I figure I love sports, I love watching all types of sports, and there's a major need across the country for high school officials. It doesn't pay much but better than $0.

I may even consider retiring earlier than planned if I could latch onto 4-5 sports games per week to officiate... pick up an extra $100 per game. I'd make some secondary income, and be doing something I enjoy.
DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny »

A working career should span 25 years maximum. That's enough time. The rest of your life should be spent being free.

If you can't save/invest enough after 25 years of earning an income, then you're doing it wrong. (and yes, my wife and I have 2 kids).

Work is an escape from freedom.
Funding secured
midareff

Post by midareff »

I retired at age 64, 7,. .. almost 8 years ago. I worked a total of 46 years beginning to end. I have not worked since retirement (71 now) and have turned down consulting work. I'm just not interested in ever having a report to again. FWIW, I retired with adequate funds that I/we never have to consider the prospect of working again. I really can't imagine a situation where I would want to give up my free time, give up my travel time, or any other time to make another buck. ... as they say; the thrill is gone.
LawyersGunsAndMoney

Post by LawyersGunsAndMoney »

One of the big problems we face as a society and a not-insignificant cause of the "retirement savings crisis" is the fact that working into your 70s might be fine for some white-collar/office work type folks.

It most cases it doesn't work for blue-collar types who rely on physical labor to work into their late 60s or 70s. And that's still a lot of people in America.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

FootballFan5548 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:18 amHowever, I've always been a huge sports fan (see name), so I'm already looking into part time officiating of high school games. I figure I love sports, I love watching all types of sports, and there's a major need across the country for high school officials. It doesn't pay much but better than $0.
I umpired a lot of little league baseball as a teen, and have long planned to get into officiating again in retirement.

I love sports, it will get me involved in the community, and the seasonal aspect will (hopefully) prevent drudgery from creeping in.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I retired a couple of years ago at 52. I have considered going back for short stints a couple of times because of fears about health insurance, but every time I got close to getting hired somewhere, I did something to sabotage it. So I doubt I’m ever going back. I have ideas about developing passive income streams that may come to fruition that would allow us to spend more on travel, but if it doesn’t work out, we’re still more than fine financially. My existence at my last megacorp was soul sucking, and I never want to repeat that.

I haven’t been bored since I was 10. I can’t imagine that happening now. During my working career, when I was between jobs, I always had enough to do that I had to cut back when I went back to work. And for pretty much my entire adult life, I’ve cultivated a social circle and personal relationships outside of work that were more rewarding than anything I had at work. Not working gives me the time and opportunity to do what I personally find most rewarding, instead of what an employer finds enriching. I’m in the best shape of my life, I have time to spend with friends and family, and time to spend on art and intellectual curiosities. I volunteered for a bit, and probably will again, and I have a very part time low wage job that I would do for free. And we have the freedom to travel as much as we want.

To each his own, I suppose, but financial independence allows us to choose the life we want to live. I truly don’t understand why someone would hand that choice off to an employer, unless they were forced to in exchange for money.
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

DanMahowny wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:26 am A working career should span 25 years maximum. That's enough time. The rest of your life should be spent being free.

If you can't save/invest enough after 25 years of earning an income, then you're doing it wrong. (and yes, my wife and I have 2 kids).

Hmmmmm...

I started full time work at age 24, so by 49 I should have retired? On average, that’s only 50,000 hours of work - or 6.7% of the 744,600 hours of my life if I live to 85. Missing out on contributing a full 35 years to Social Security, my wife missing out on meeting the rules to qualify for her full pension benefits, both of us retiring before the kids even enter college, and having 16+ gap years to fund?

Great advice - not, but thanks for playing. :mrgreen:
Last edited by CyclingDuo on Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

CyclingDuo wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:30 am
DanMahowny wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:26 am A working career should span 25 years maximum. That's enough time. The rest of your life should be spent being free.

Hmmmmm...

I started full time work at age 24, so by 49 I should have retired? On average, that’s only 50,000 hours of work - or .067% of the 744,600 hours of my life if I live to 85. Missing out on contributing a full 35 years to Social Security, my wife missing out on meeting the rules to qualify for her full pension benefits, both of us retiring before the kids even enter college, and having 16+ gap years to fund?

Most here would have no trouble hitting the second bend point in those 25 years...and once they do there's little added to the monthly check.
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

ncbill wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:13 pmMost here would have no trouble hitting the second bend point in those 25 years...and once they do there's little added to the monthly check.
“Most” being the operative word. We’re not all created equal in terms of our experience in the work force.

We lived and worked overseas for more than a decade in those first 25 years, so due to FEIE - those years did not count for anything with regard to SS. Those years are goose eggs for us regarding SS. Years of part-time high school and college jobs prior to age 24 are now being replaced by peak earning year salaries. We did enjoy the option of travel and seeing Europe while we were young as a result. Had a car, used the trains, and covered Italy, Germany, France, Austria, Poland, the Czech Republic, Holland, Spain, etc as often and as much while we could. Had two months every summer plus Christmas holidays to see it, ski it, bike it, hike it, museum it, speak it, culture it all - long before we were age 40. Maybe it’s all those 2nd bend pointers who were doing it wrong as now they have to travel and see it as older folks dealing with their bodily aches and pains as well as figuring things out in multiple languages they never learned to speak before they were age 49.😁

Back to SS...

Wife took some years off for child rearing, so dual income and dual SS contributions softened. Peak earning years finally hit for both of us after hitting age 49 - so again, Dan’s comment up thread that if one had done it right in the first 25 years one would not need to work longer does not apply to all of us. Not us in any shape or form.

We’re still feeding into the three legged retirement income steam of SS, pension, and risk portfolio via our contributions. We are certain we’ll get off the wheel at some point, but actually don’t mind the prospect of some transition work in retirement - not for the money, but for the stimulation such as the OP.

What if Jack Bogle and Warren Buffett had both stopped at age 49? Or 59? Or 69? Or 79? 🤓
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny »

my 25 year plan does not include SS or a pension.

Like I said, 25 years is enough.
Funding secured
Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 »

55 is my target, got hired at 22. Have 10 years worth of pension at 95 dollars which isnt much at all. Company froze it last contract, but helped us in other ways.

21 more years.......ugh
NYnative

Post by NYnative »

"We did enjoy the option of travel and seeing Europe while we were young as a result. Had a car, used the trains, and covered Italy, Germany, France, Austria, Poland, the Czech Republic, Holland, Spain, etc as often and as much while we could."

We had the same experience when we were young. And we contributed to SS the whole time we were in Europe, as well as other places on the planet. Of course, being in the Army meant there were some countries that were off limits, but we did see them at a later date. There are other options to make sure you hit all of the bend points 8-) .
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

Gardner's Son wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:54 am OP here -- Sorry I have not been in on the conversations. My main reason for staying employed is a defense against becoming too emotionally/socially isolated as I grow older. I saw this in my father's life and the lives of older men I know. They withdraw, go without social interaction, etc. I was just wondering if other older men view this as a problem or is it just me...
Thanks for clarifying. That makes more sense.

In my father's case, he was "retired" unexpectedly at age 62.

It hit him hard for a while, but eventually he became much more active in his church, a service club he belonged to for years (Lion's Club), the local volunteer fire department, and a home owner's group. Plus he spent MUCH more time organizing and atteneding family events.

At 87, he's starting to wind down.

But the point being, he found other ways to interact socially that didn't involve a paying job.
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

Gardner's Son wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:54 am OP here -- Sorry I have not been in on the conversations. My main reason for staying employed is a defense against becoming too emotionally/socially isolated as I grow older. I saw this in my father's life and the lives of older men I know. They withdraw, go without social interaction, etc. I was just wondering if other older men view this as a problem or is it just me...
That’s a real problem, and continuing to work is one way to ameliorate it, but, frankly, continuing to work seems like a lazy, suboptimal way to solve that particular problem. Stepping back a bit, work seems to me to often be a major factor in creating that problem in the first place. I’m not trying to offend, and I saw the same thing in my father’s life (and understand very well all the pressures that shape relatively isolated lives), so I do sympathize, but to me it smacks of failing to plan.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

CyclingDuo wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:30 am

Hmmmmm...

I started full time work at age 24, so by 49 I should have retired? On average, that’s only 50,000 hours of work - or 6.7% of the 744,600 hours of my life if I live to 85. Missing out on contributing a full 35 years to Social Security, my wife missing out on meeting the rules to qualify for her full pension benefits, both of us retiring before the kids even enter college, and having 16+ gap years to fund?

After only 25 years of work many people today have barely paid off their college education, and still have young children that they need to support for years to come and put though college. Not to mention that people who actually make the median income in this country and have the associated median cost of living cant possibly save the high percentages required for an early retirement.

Its great if you where born into a rich family, got a full ride to an elete college, started out over 6 figures in some hot sector and/or never had kids... but we need to stop asserting in these threads that people who where not so lucky "didn't try" :oops:
rh00p

Post by rh00p »

Given the rising divorce rates among seniors, AKA the grey divorce, OP may be onto something.
Preparing for the worst. Hoping for the best.