$50,000 executive MBA at a state school or $5,000 MBA at a regional school?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Username1

$50,000 executive MBA at a state school or $5,000 MBA at a regional school?

Post by Username1 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:37 pm

Hey boggles. I learned my lesson from overpaying $2k for my car; so, now, I’m consulting you guys before making this decision.

I’m a 29 year old with a six figure upper management job. I’m one of the decision makers at the company and the two cofounders who i work with both have Harvard MBAs. I have a bachelors in business.

I’m considering getting my MBA.

I get ~$10k/year if tuition assistance from the state of Michigan since I’m in the national guard. MBA programs are 2 years usually.

The two schools I’m looking at are MSU for the eMBA program and Eastern Michigan for the traditional MBA program.

The executive MBA is $70,000 in total and it’s every other weekend. The traditional MBA is $25,000 I total and it’s full time.

With the Tuition Assistance, the eMBA is $70k and the traditional MBA is almost free ($5k).

IMO, the eMBA sounds better since it’s every other weekend. It also focuses on decision making, which is really what my job is all about. The traditional MBA has interesting specialization but it’ll take more time. I also have a feeling I’ll meet a totally different set of people at the two programs.

Anyone here gotten an MBA? Please chime in.

Also, no, the MBA won’t get me a raise nor will the employer pay for it. I’m doing this out of my own want.

Shackleton

Re: $50,000 executive MBA at a state school or $5,000 MBA at a regional school?

Post by Shackleton » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:42 pm

Even if your company won't pay for it, you might want to get the founder's opinion on the two options you are looking at.

Other than that, I thought that eMBA degrees didn't have as much prestige/influence as regular MBA degrees -- if that factors into your decision. Otherwise, I'd pick the one that seemed to have a program that best matched my interests and areas I wanted to focus on.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton

NJ-Irish

Post by NJ-Irish » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:53 pm

Half the value of an MBA is the network you make while there. I don’t know anything about these two programs, but you will want to know what type of people attend, where they work after, and see how that matches your current career path.

What specializations do each program have? And does it match your career?

Somebody else might be able to articulate this point better than me, but eMBA programs are often attended by people who don’t intend to leave their job / look for promotions.

I don’t want to use the word “prestige” because the subject matter is probably the same, but I think you get a better experience and result by committing to a full time program.

boogiehead

Post by boogiehead » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:54 pm

Based on this statement
I learned my lesson from overpaying $2k for my car;
it seems like the best choice would be none of the above as you also mentioned it won't help you get a raise and it seems like you are already in a management position. To me MBA is more for people that want to have a change of career or its stepping stone for them to get into an opportunity into a management position + networking. It seems like MBA will provide little to no value for you except an extra few characters on your resume.

Topic Author
Username1

Post by Username1 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:32 pm

Shackleton wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:42 pm
Even if your company won't pay for it, you might want to get the founder's opinion on the two options you are looking at.

Other than that, I thought that eMBA degrees didn't have as much prestige/influence as regular MBA degrees -- if that factors into your decision. Otherwise, I'd pick the one that seemed to have a program that best matched my interests and areas I wanted to focus on.
They love the eMBA since they like the word “executive” and the social status it conveys.

Do you have a source saying eMBAs are less prestigious? I know Ivy’s dont offer eMBAs at the moment, but I think that’s due to them wanting higher academic rigor.
boogiehead wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:54 pm
Based on this statement
it seems like the best choice would be none of the above as you also mentioned it won't help you get a raise and it seems like you are already in a management position. To me MBA is more for people that want to have a change of career or its stepping stone for them to get into an opportunity into a management position + networking. It seems like MBA will provide little to no value for you except an extra few characters on your resume.
You missed the very last sentence where I said I’m doing this out of my own want.

I have dignity and deserve an education not because I’m a cog in a capitalist machine but because the very thing that makes me a person, my mind, deserves all I can give it.

I hope you can get past your current economic situation to understand this.

Topic Author
Username1

Post by Username1 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:36 pm

NJ-Irish wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:53 pm
Half the value of an MBA is the network you make while there. I don’t know anything about these two programs, but you will want to know what type of people attend, where they work after, and see how that matches your current career path.

What specializations do each program have? And does it match your career?

Somebody else might be able to articulate this point better than me, but eMBA programs are often attended by people who don’t intend to leave their job / look for promotions.

I don’t want to use the word “prestige” because the subject matter is probably the same, but I think you get a better experience and result by committing to a full time program.
I don’t want to leave this job. Also I’m an entrepreneur so the MBA is not for a new job.

What makes you say a full time program is better? Details please.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:39 pm

I don’t recognize those two school names at all. I wouldn’t even do it. Save money. Unless you get some online program with better name recognition.

cpan00b

Post by cpan00b » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:40 pm

Username1 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:32 pm
Shackleton wrote:

They love the eMBA since they like the word “executive” and the social status it conveys.

Do you have a source saying eMBAs are less prestigious? I know Ivy’s dont offer eMBAs at the moment, but I think that’s due to them wanting higher academic rigor.
boogiehead wrote:
Based on this statement
You missed the very last sentence where I said I’m doing this out of my own want.

I have dignity and deserve an education not because I’m a cog in a capitalist machine but because the very thing that makes me a person, my mind, deserves all I can give it.

No need to get upset for his sound advice. I personally think an MBA is not worth getting if you don't go to a m7 school or your personal situation with your employer dictates it. As he pointed out, and you rightfully admitted, it sounds like it's for your dignity and prestige more so than it is for an education (some could argue that MBAs don't necessarily even teach much and the network is what is of importance). You might be offended but you are asking about the financial aspect of it, and I think you're free to spend your money how you like with the understanding it is what it is. I'd do the cheaper one if I had to pick -- this way you, too, will be an MBA like your cofounders (but I actually wouldn't do it at all).

EDITED TO ADD: If you are quitting your current job to take the full time MBA at the less prestigious school, I retract my advice above and say do not do that.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:42 pm

Username1 wrote:

If that is truly your drive, why an MBA? I do not have one (but I do have a PhD), but among my circle of friends is a graduate of Wharton, Harvard, Stanford, and two from U of Texas MBA programs; I've heard every one of them state that the actual education component was close to worthless. For some of them, the networking was extremely valuable though.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:44 pm

The MBA sounds ok and a great price. The eMBA is ludicrous - no way you get more value for what you are paying.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:04 pm

Username1 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:37 pm
I’m a 29 year old with a six figure upper management job.

The executive MBA is $70,000 in total and it’s every other weekend. The traditional MBA is $25,000 I total and it’s full time.

With the Tuition Assistance, the eMBA is $70k and the traditional MBA is almost free ($5k).
You also need to factor in the lost income and the benefits you would give up.

It sounds like you could still work full time and get the executive MBA but with the traditional MBA you would not only have to ge up two years income but you would also need to pay your own health insurance and other living expenses for two years. The "almost free" one could cost you a lot more.

You might also want to compare what you will actually learn in either of the MBA programs to going back to school and getting a second bachelors or masters in something like accounting, logistics, information technology, etc. It would not be the same but you might find that something like that could work out well in their own way.

You also need to be realistic about the odds that you will actually complete the program. Even if you are sure that you are up to it academically there can be a lot of other factors like health, relationships, getting deployed as part of the national guard, finances, kids, burnout, etc that will cause people not finish the program. not finishing the full time MBA program will be a noticeable gap in your resume.

cashmoney

Post by cashmoney » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:34 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:39 pm
I don’t recognize those two school names at all. I wouldn’t even do it. Save money. Unless you get some online program with better name recognition.

I hear that Phoenix University is the Harvard of online colleges.

boogiehead

Post by boogiehead » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:05 pm

boogiehead wrote:
Based on this statement

[/quote]

Totally understand .... but when your first line states that you had a lesson learned from overpaying 2k for a car its seems the last thing you want to do is overpay for something again... but what you are proposing seems like you will either be overpaying 5k or 50k.... think about it .... if you truly want to learn and feed your mind you don't need an MBA you can join meetups, read books, even get a master's degree which would be cheaper in most cases, but it seems you would like the "prestige" of an MBA which as someone else mentioned why not aim for a top 10 mba school then

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:01 am

I did an executive format MBA program at one of the ivy league schools. I had a blast. Very intelligent and motivated and experienced classmates. Good teaching. Interesting subject material. I'd recommend you try taking some free online moocs first. There are some courses from Kellogg, Wharton, etc. Try them first and see if you still want to do it.

getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:15 am

Username1 wrote:
Shackleton wrote:

boogiehead wrote:
Based on this statement

To echo a few others, an MBA is just an odd choice for personal knowledge and fulfillment; even at the best places it's about networking and career advancement. If you just want more education, maybe advanced work in economics or finance might be more your style?

cpan00b

Post by cpan00b » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:16 am

Woah I just reread this thread and realized you meant Michigan State University when you said MSU...for some reason I was thinking you meant University of Michigan. You would be absolutely overpaying if you paid 50k to go there, especially for absolutely no discernable reason/benefit to your career trajectory. People won't automatically think more highly of you just because you have an MBA, particularly when it's not from a prestigious university -- and even worse when it's an "executive MBA." Focus on your career and being successful in other endeavors and if you really want the educational experience, just learn things on your own or audit classes at a local college or something.

MBAs are meant for people to (i) build their network and become friends with people who will be very successful in the future, (ii) people looking to change careers and go into banking/consulting and (iii) people who need it to reach the next rung at their current employer. The first two require you actually go to a top MBA program. Hope you don't get discouraged by some frank advice.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:40 am

If you enjoy learning an EMBA can be fun and if you want to build a lifelong local network it's worthwhile. If you expect your career and family will keep you in Michigan and you work in an environment where your company interacts with a lot of other Michigan based businesses the relationships can absolutely be worth it.

There's no way I would quit your job to go to Eastern Michigan full time. Most of the students in the classes with you won't be near peers. Some will eventually be successful, others will graduate and manage a Ross store. Most every student in an EMBA program will already be successful.

Try (added: again) to get your Harvard bosses to chip in some money for your EMBA, also.
Last edited by stan1 on Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

ModifiedDuration

Post by ModifiedDuration » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:51 am

Would it be worthwhile to try and get your bosses to kick in and do an Executive MBA at the University of Michigan?

https://michiganross.umich.edu/programs/executive-mba

khangaroo

Post by khangaroo » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:58 am

I have an MBA from a state university here in the Pacific North West. As others have stated, if you're looking to get an MBA for the education portion of it and giving your mind what it deserves then I would forego it. You can learn everything from an MBA program in a few HBS articles, case studies, and graduate level business textbooks.

I would recommend really looking for what you want from an MBA. For me personally, I wanted the additional network, the degree itself (it's always been a goal of mine to get a graduate degree), and I don't know what my future lies so it couldn't hurt to get more educated.

I had to pay $29k and my company covered the other portion. I was luckily enough to be in a position where I could do the MBA with no student loans, part-time and still work full-time so I didn't have the opportunity cost of losing 2 years worth of salary.

In closing, I highly recommend you to do some deep introspection on why you want an MBA. It's a huge commitment in terms of finances, time, relationships, and effort.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:30 am

Style note - EMBA, not eMBA. The eMBA looks like an online degree. Which might be educational but wouldn't give you the contacts.

EMBA programs are great for networking, and your cohort will be higher ranking mid-career professionals on their way up instead of ambitious kids just out of business school. Totally different environment. You can learn something in both, but you'll be learning with people thinking at a higher level with the EMBA crowd.

I'm not familiar with the MSU program, certainly the UMich program would be higher ranked, is there a geographical or other reason to pick Lansing over Ann Arbor?

My EMBA was employer paid and provided because I was on my way up, not the start of the trajectory. Many of my classmates changed jobs or started companies or both, and heavily networked to get the new positions they attained. A pretty high achieving group. Many self-funded, can't say it was a bad idea, but then I don't know what they would have accomplished without the magic initials.

Good luck.

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:38 am

If you are tied to Michigan go to Michigan Ross. No other MBA program is worth it.

WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:27 pm

This is a very personal decision. In Michigan, I would look at the eMBA over Eastern. I worked for a large Michigan company and we sent a lot of people to the MSU program (we paid for it) so your networking will be great there.

Just a FYI, there are hybrids. For example, you can do the General Management program at Harvard Business School which is an incredible program for $70k. While not a MBA it is a very targeted curriculum and it does away with the nonsense stuff. It is intense and requires you go to to two 4 week on campus sessions while also doing some stuff remotely in between. The on campus requires you to live on campus in their dorms with work teams, it is 6 days per week of classes with Sunday being an intense catch up day for homework. No family or anything.. It is intense.

At the end you are a full alumnus of Harvard Business School, will have learned a ton from top professors (Clayton Christensen, Michael Porter, John Kotter etc. etc. ) and will have made incredible global contacts. (FYI, My class was only 20% US the rest were international).

Good luck!
Twitter: @JAXbogleheads | EM: JAXbogleheads@gmail.com

patrick013

Post by patrick013 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:24 pm

Username1 wrote:

The two schools I’m looking at are MSU for the eMBA program and Eastern Michigan for the traditional MBA program.
What do the course lists look like comparing the two schools ?
Unless you are interested in which one has the largest student fraternal organizations for networking.

I've suggested this before but you could always go back to your original school and just take a couple of finance courses, or someplace like Harvard and get a certificate in finance with no prerequisites.
age in bonds, buy-and-hold, 10 year business cycle

Stick5vw

Post by Stick5vw » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:26 pm

I dont have an MBA but came *very* close to going for an EMBA. May still do it someday. For me it was all about the network, which in turn means you should try to find the most prestigious program possible in my opinion.

As such if you have great experience already (and sounds like you do) I second the other posters who said EMBA is better. The other students will be head and shoulders above what you will see in a normal MBA program.

However the costs are not insignificant nor is the time commitment involved - make sure you really want this because every moment that you are not sleeping or at the office for 2 years will be spent studying.

In the Midwest, there are programs at Northwestern and Chicago that are very good and your cohort will be people from all over the world. Have you looked at them?

Also suggest talking to your bosses from HBS and to see if the company can help pay the costs.

Topic Author
Username1

Post by Username1 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:13 am

Thanks guy! I've made my decision.

I think it's funny how people's reply show more about themselves than anything else :) Thanks to all the MBAs who answered.

It's pretty obvious that going to a top tier MBA program would be the best. It's really who else is in the class that'll make the MBA program worth it.

So, here's my plan:
1.) In the near term, I'll go to Eastern (for free) and get a Master's in Philosophy just because I like Philosophy and it's free.
2.) I'll continue working and earning.
3.) In the distant future, I'll go to a top tier Executive MBA program. I'll have the money saved up for it by then and, also, my career will be a lot better by then too.

So, I get the best of both worlds! A great learning experience in a subject I love as well as a prestigious title from a top tier university (without any debt)!

McGowan

Post by McGowan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:49 am

Honestly, you'll study the same information in both places. Don't know your other variables but that might argue for the less expensive option. I do think a bigger program will provide a LOT of extra points of view and contacts that can be very valuable.

Most Exec. MBA programs I'm familiar with are Friday/Saturday and maybe beginning with Thursday night activities. If so, you'd need your employers cooperation to do that I think.

FWIW, 30+ years ago, I was choosing between part-time, local MBA at night paid by an employer or going full-time and giving up 2 years of compensation while doing it. Not the same choice you are considering I understand. I decided that if I could get into a top, top tier school, I'd go full-time. Luckily, I got in and that has worked out well. The other option would have worked well also I suspect but

MillennialFinance19

Post by MillennialFinance19 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:58 am

FWIW - I did some recruiting for a public agency in State of Florida early in my career. Finance/Accounting managers would always review my stack of applicants and inevitably pull the Vanderbilt and UNC business school grads over more qualified candidates. So with that being said, you can say that "prestige" doesn't matter, but based on three years of hiring, I would disagree. Just food for thought.

tedgeorge

Post by tedgeorge » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:08 pm

You sound like you're bored and looking for something to do. Which is perfectly fine for a successful 29 year old. Good to have time and options!

Here's a thought experiment for you, answer this question for yourself... "When I get my MBA I will...."

Then you can start deciding if you need that MBA to get you there. You can easily read people's bios and search job descriptions to see if that's a requirement.

Topic Author
Username1

Post by Username1 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:18 pm

umfan11244 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:58 am
FWIW - I did some recruiting for a public agency in State of Florida early in my career. Finance/Accounting managers would always review my stack of applicants and inevitably pull the Vanderbilt and UNC business school grads over more qualified candidates. So with that being said, you can say that "prestige" doesn't matter, but based on three years of hiring, I would disagree. Just food for thought.
tedgeorge wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:08 pm
You sound like you're bored and looking for something to do. Which is perfectly fine for a successful 29 year old. Good to have time and options!

Here's a thought experiment for you, answer this question for yourself... "When I get my MBA I will...."

Then you can start deciding if you need that MBA to get you there. You can easily read people's bios and search job descriptions to see if that's a requirement.
I actually want to go from Entrepreneur to Investor. The MBA wouldn't do anything job wise but it'll be good to have socially.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:26 pm

If you're looking to become an investor, would an MBA be better, or a Masters in Finance?

jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:30 pm

[ quoted post removed by admin LadyGeek]

Just FYI, per US News rankings shows Michigan State as the 37th ranked graduate business school in the country. (Michigan is #7.) I would say both have good name recognition.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:47 pm

jrbdmb wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:30 pm

Just FYI, per US News rankings shows Michigan State as the 37th ranked graduate business school in the country. (Michigan is #7.) I would say both have good name recognition.
It maybe for that region but not nationally.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:30 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:47 pm
jrbdmb wrote:

37th nationally is actually a very good school. Maybe not quite good enough to get a job in investment banking in NYC, but that's not what OP wants to do. 37th nationally is more than good enough for pretty much anything else, though.

exigent

Post by exigent » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:19 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
You don't recognize the name Michigan State University?

jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:59 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:30 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
jrbdmb wrote:

37th nationally is actually a very good school. Maybe not quite good enough to get a job in investment banking in NYC, but that's not what OP wants to do. 37th nationally is more than good enough for pretty much anything else, though.
Just curious, what do you need to get a (reasonable chance at a) job in investment banking in NYC? Ivy League only, perhaps other top private schools (Chicago, Stanford, Duke, Northwestern), and maybe a few "public Ivies" (Michigan, Virginia, Berkeley)?

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:20 pm

exigent wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:19 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
You don't recognize the name Michigan State University?
No, I’m in California, for MBA, I think the top 25 or maybe even top 15 is more we’ll known. I’ve heard of University of Michigan , my daughter was accepted at the school of engineering but she didn’t go there.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:21 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
jrbdmb wrote:

Ok, if you say so. But I don’t really trust US news either. But it has zero name recognition from somebody who does not live in the Midwest. I recognize the top 15, or maybe top 25. I advised my daughter’s best friend the same. Luckily, she got accepted to the top 15 and still doesn’t sound like the quality of the program was what it was when I applied for it. Take it for what it’s worth. Want to waste money, go ahead and do it. Why post online if you can’t handle the truth.
Last edited by DrGoogle2017 on Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nasrullah

Post by nasrullah » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:46 pm

Username1 wrote:

A few thoughts here.

- If you aren't going to quit your job, a full time MBA program is going to be next to impossible for you.

- A good MBA program is going to focus on practical business experience. I haven't read them all, but lots of comments are going to tell you it's not worth it. It is, I spent 10 years and 100s of thousands of dollars in my business learning lessons I would have learned in two with an MBA. Granted I have something to show for it, but I would tell my kids to take the shortcut and learn from other people's experiences and mistakes.

- The point of your MBA is upward mobility both at your current employer, but more importantly at your next one(s). Full time vs EMBA is not going to be an issue here for you. What you want is BRAND and NETWORK. Getting an MBA from USC is probably not going to get you the network that you ultimately want.

- I'm going to repeat the last thought. You are buying education, brand, and network. We can debate the value of the education from one school to another (or if it's important to you at all), but you should be thinking long and hard about the brand and network that you are paying for. Which school is going to give you the best opportunity to 2-3x your current salary?
"We have a lot to do, and very little time, so we must work slowly." Liviu Ciulei | | Thanks vineviz (https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=134698) for the quote.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:50 pm

Sounds like you have a great plan, best of luck to you.
(I'll start collecting SS in a few years, need someone to keep contributing to the salaries that fund the program. Thanks in advance.)

pinhead

Post by pinhead » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:31 pm

Username1 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:13 am
Thanks guy! I've made my decision.

I think it's funny how people's reply show more about themselves than anything else :) Thanks to all the MBAs who answered.

It's pretty obvious that going to a top tier MBA program would be the best. It's really who else is in the class that'll make the MBA program worth it.

So, here's my plan:
1.) In the near term, I'll go to Eastern (for free) and get a Master's in Philosophy just because I like Philosophy and it's free.
2.) I'll continue working and earning.
3.) In the distant future, I'll go to a top tier Executive MBA program. I'll have the money saved up for it by then and, also, my career will be a lot better by then too.

So, I get the best of both worlds! A great learning experience in a subject I love as well as a prestigious title from a top tier university (without any debt)!
Even without a top tier MBA, you already sound smug.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:45 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:21 pm
quantAndHold wrote:
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
jrbdmb wrote:

Ok, if you say so. But I don’t really trust US news either. But it has zero name recognition from somebody who does not live in the Midwest. I recognize the top 15, or maybe top 25. I advised my daughter’s best friend the same. Luckily, she got accepted to the top 15 and still doesn’t sound like the quality of the program was what it was when I applied for it. Take it for what it’s worth. Want to waste money, go ahead and do it. Why post online if you can’t handle the truth.
Business schools are very much about the networking. Once you get past the top 20 or so, b-schools are regional. As a student, you go to a school in the region you want to live in after graduation. You network with local people who work at local companies. If you're in the upper midwest, Michigan State is one of the best choices. If you want to live in Oregon or Florida, it's still a good school with a solid program, but the networking opportunities are less useful.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:52 pm

Username1 wrote:

It sounds like you do not want to be a full time student. So try the executive MBA I guess.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:01 pm

Among other things, Michigan State is known for its agricultural programs. I am going to take a class to become a Master Gardener through them: https://www.canr.msu.edu/master_gardene ... r_program/

No doubt the University of Michigan has better name recognition for an MBA but Michigan State has a great reputation locally.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:49 pm

If you simply want the MBA out of academic interest, then I would advise you to simply get a library membership at the local university and perhaps audit some classes for fun. I would not pay $10,000s or leave my job at age 29 for “the fun of it” unless I were so wealthy I didn’t need to work.

MSU is at least a ranked program—it is boarderline 3rd quintile of the ranked MBA programs. Eastern Michigan isn’t ranked. I would guess neither would help you that much unless you went to work for a company with a significant alumni presence from those schools OR you have a job where you simply are required to have an MBA to continue to climb the ladder.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:53 pm

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:38 am
If you are tied to Michigan go to Michigan Ross. No other MBA program is worth it.
True outside Michigan if the plan is to go to Wall Street or California, but inside Michigan there are many, many MSU grads happy to stay in the state or maybe spread out Northern Ohio for the rest of their lives. You'll benefit from the network with the local guys and gals if you are staying nearby.

polyphasic9

Post by polyphasic9 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:06 pm

My counsel would be to first ensure that you have defined for yourself exactly *why* you want to attend. If it's just to add a few additional skills and if you're already self-motivated, then a couple of textbooks and some online content should suffice.

However, if you seek to ensure that you have a wider business skillset, then seeking a degree is likely the right approach for you. As others have mentioned, the networking aspect can be important. I'd argue, though, that what you learn in class is more important (and much of it is rather interesting). What you learn will make you more capable for your present employer, and better able to speak their language. Earning a credential will also be of value if you ever need to seek outside employment.

On the subject of cost, I'd suggest that the "nearly free" full-time option is much more expensive. Foremost, you're forgoing a couple of years of 6-figure salary, if I recall the original post. Second, you're taking on the risk that at the end of those two years you'll be able to find a job that at least equals your present role. Third, most EMBA programs typically draw somewhat older and more experienced students, so you will be developing higher-level contacts there.

Lastly, regarding the prestige of the two schools, I suggest that it won't matter very much for you. Any employer looking to hire you will look first at your results and career progression; the brand name of your MBA would generally only be of importance if you were an early-career hire.

Disclosure: I graduated from an "M7" school, but where you attend matters far less than how you attend. Work hard, and you'll do great anywhere.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:48 pm

I removed several contentious posts which derailed the discussion. This thread has run its course and is locked. See: Locked Topics
Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.