Return rejected by IRS (anyone seen "processing issues" from HR Block?)

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Ragnoth

Return rejected by IRS (anyone seen "processing issues" from HR Block?)

Post by Ragnoth » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:22 pm

I used HR block online to e-file last night. I got a notice that the IRS *rejected* the return. :shock:

Checking on HR Block to see what went wrong, they say:
There was a processing issue with your return, and it will be corrected on or about March 10, 2019. You’ll then be able to e-file your return again.
Has anyone seen something like this before, or know what might have gone wrong?

runner3081

Re: Return rejected by IRS (anyone seen "processing issues" from HR Block?)

Post by runner3081 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:04 pm

Ragnoth wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:22 pm
I used HR block online to e-file last night. I got a notice that the IRS *rejected* the return. :shock:

There was a processing issue with your return, and it will be corrected on or about March 10, 2019. You’ll then be able to e-file your return again.
Has your identity been stolen recently? I would hope this is not a sign that someone already filed a tax return for you this year.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:59 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:04 pm
Ragnoth wrote:

Has your identity been stolen recently? I would hope this is not a sign that someone already filed a tax return for you this year.
That's what happened to me about 10 years ago. Someone in FL was just filing with random SS numbers. Took a year to straighten it out, ughh...

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:01 pm

Is there a rejection code associated with the rejection?

Topic Author
Ragnoth

Post by Ragnoth » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:49 pm

fortfun wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:59 pm
runner3081 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:04 pm
Ragnoth wrote:

That's what happened to me about 10 years ago. Someone in FL was just filing with random SS numbers. Took a year to straighten it out, ughh...
Thanks for the responses.

I haven't had any identity theft issues (that I know of). I double checked my credit reports just now. There isn't anything unexpected on there. That said, I could have just gotten unlucky with somebody filing random numbers. I'll keep my fingers crossed that its something more innocuous (e.g., something weird on the IRS end given the new bill).

I tried submitting again and had the same issue. I'm not sure what it could be, but I suppose there's nothing much to do except waiting till March.

Topic Author
Ragnoth

Post by Ragnoth » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:57 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:01 pm
Is there a rejection code associated with the rejection?
Thanks for the response. There's no code given. The full text doesn't really add much:
Federal Return Issue
  • Other Return Issue
We’ll help you fix these issues now, so you can file your return again. If you believe your info is correct, contact the IRS at 800-829-1040 to fix the issue.
There is a link to "fix issues", but it just loops back on itself and has a page with the same message about waiting until March.

Most of my documents were auto-imported from my employer/Merrill Edge. Maybe something got garbled, but there's nothing to indicate what would actually need to get fixed. I might just try again from scratch and see if it comes out different.

JoeJohnson

Post by JoeJohnson » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:53 am

I'm completely guessing here, but with such a specific date listed I would guess it's some type of software issue that they are patching. The issue could be in H&R, the gov't, both, or it could even be an issue with a specific IRS form that needs to be updated by the government. Again, totally guessing. Everything went smoothly for me, but my return is pretty simple.

Have you tried calling H&R?

runner540

Post by runner540 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:13 am

Had a similar issue last year with HR Block (the looping, and it wouldn't accept my previous year's AGI for verification) and just paper filed.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:14 am

I wonder if the OP may have some unusual form(s) that the IRS is not ready to electronically receive until March 10.

Anyway, just wait until March 11.

Michael Patrick

Post by Michael Patrick » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:15 am

If it was an identity theft issue, it would tell you that.

Don't ask me how I know... :oops:

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:19 am

HueyLD wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:14 am
I wonder if the OP may have some unusual form(s) that the IRS is not ready to electronically receive until March 10.

That would be my theory. Or possibly unusual form(s) that HR Block software is not yet set up to transmit correctly until 3/10.

Unclear whether issue is on IRS end, Block end, or both.

bberris

Post by bberris » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:39 am

My return was accepted in minutes. I had no unusual forms, just 8949, ACA, 1099s ...

snowman

Post by snowman » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:09 am

HueyLD wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:14 am

This is exactly what I was thinking as well. There are some forms that are generally not ready until mid-March. I wonder if OP has one of those. My first thought is to go through Accuracy review and see if any red flags pop up. If not, call HRB, they should know. And if they don't, wait till March 11 and refile.

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:57 am

bberris wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:39 am
My return was accepted in minutes. I had no unusual forms, just 8949, ACA, 1099s ...
Ditto - no problems with H&R Block software.
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

Longdog

Post by Longdog » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:13 pm

I agree with those who say it’s an issue that will be corrected with a software patch. Maybe there was an error in how they transmitted information for one of the forms. I successfully filed this week with H&R Block. What forms were filed?
Steve

desertbandit442

Post by desertbandit442 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:13 pm

Second others, most likely a software update for certain form or calculation within in your return and the planned software update to fix the issue is March 10.

WhizKid

Post by WhizKid » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:12 pm

Did your return have a Qualified Business Income Deduction?

Topic Author
Ragnoth

Post by Ragnoth » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:26 pm

Thanks everyone,

For people asking about forms, it was pretty standard. There was a W2, standard deduction, consolidated 1099/1099R from Merrill Edge, and the usual ACA forms stating that I had insurance through work. There was a very small qualified business income deduction from REIT dividends in my taxable account (<$50). Everything passed the accuracy review.

Michael Patrick wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:15 am
If it was an identity theft issue, it would tell you that.

Don't ask me how I know... :oops:
I'm not going to ask how you know, but thanks for sharing. That's a big relief!

runner540 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:13 am
Had a similar issue last year with HR Block (the looping, and it wouldn't accept my previous year's AGI for verification) and just paper filed.
This could be part of it. I filed a 1040X to amend my taxes last year (the dividend numbers on my one of my taxable accounts had been adjusted, which changed my AGI by ~$200 or so). I followed the instructions and used the original number for verification purposes.

I don't know if similarly situated people have had issues (or if they would just tell you if the AGI verification was the problem), but this might be the piece that's causing trouble. HRB wasn't much help, but without speculating too much, maybe it's just a known issue and something needs to get patched before they can get everything verified for those who amended last year?

In any case, I'm going to just wait it out and see what happens in March.

If this doesn't sort itself out, maybe I'll just bite the bullet and paper file.

donall

Post by donall » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:28 am

H&R Blick had an update on Friday for QBI for the desktop version. It caused problems (don’t ask), so I would extrapolate that there were problems with the online version. I am not using H&R Block, I was assisting an older relative. Her decision was to wait a week before filing hoping that there would be another update and let her frustration abide.

rotorhead

Post by rotorhead » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:06 pm

I e-filed our return on Feb 15th, after having been cautioned by H & R Block that some returns "could be delayed" if filed before downloading the "new update" on that date.

I downloaded the new update that morning, filed our return that afternoon; and received email from my bank that refund deposit had cleared at 05:23 the morning of Feb 23rd - 7 days later.

Pretty good as far as I'm concerned.

EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:13 pm

Federal return accepted, but State return rejected. I got a code. Checked out code, and couldn't find anything wrong.

They said update coming. Waited and resubmitted for state again, but rejected again with a different code.

HR Block said I had to print and mail it ---- no more updates and they couldn't help.

Is this the new customer service?

I called up the state and they said the code is internal to HR BLock, not them. I submitted all the info to the state efile and accepted on the first try. It was a lot of extra work, but I did not want to mail the return. The state was trying to be more helpful than HR Block.

Did you attempt to call HR Block?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:02 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (taxes).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Post by 2015 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:45 pm

oldzey wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:57 am
bberris wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:39 am
Ditto - no problems with H&R Block software.
+2
Guess I was lucky too. I am way too deep in estate planning revisions, emergency disaster planning updating, and insurances review to deal with nonsense related to tax filing. Best of luck to anyone who has found themselves caught in that net.