Job Offer - 24 Hours to Decide?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
trustquestioner

Job Offer - 24 Hours to Decide?

Post by trustquestioner » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:09 pm

I have a job offer. 20% raise in salary, slightly worse benefits. New opportunity is more secure but has a lower ceiling moving forward. Current job has marginal political environment; new job would be better (I think - you never know).

Anyway, I’m legit undecided and they only gave me 24 hours. I’m thinking of just going back to hr and saying I need more time and if they can’t do it I appreciate the interest but it’s not going to work.

Thoughts?

8foot7

Re: Job Offer - 24 Hours to Decide?

Post by 8foot7 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:11 pm

It is immature of them to give you a hard 24 hour deadline. I agree with your suggested approach. Tell them you will have made a decision within 72 business hours so they know what you are thinking. If they won’t grant that then they’re probably not folks you want to work for.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:14 pm

Flesh out your benefits for us. Might be great for you with such an immediate 20% raise.

Consider the whole package for your decision.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Dale_G

Post by Dale_G » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:06 pm

No reasonable rational HR department would request a 24 hour decision.

I'd definitely ask for an extension - and if not granted - I would pass.

Dale
Volatility is my friend

delamer

Post by delamer » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:24 pm

8foot7 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:11 pm
It is immature of them to give you a hard 24 hour deadline. I agree with your suggested approach. Tell them you will have made a decision within 72 business hours so they know what you are thinking. If they won’t grant that then they’re probably not folks you want to work for.
What information will the OP have in 72 hours thst s/he won’t have in 24 hours?

mhadden1

Post by mhadden1 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:28 pm

delamer wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:24 pm
8foot7 wrote:
I don't think asking for two or three days is unreasonable at all.
Oh I can't, can I? That's what they said to Thomas Edison, mighty inventor, Thomas Lindberg, mighty flyer,and Thomas Shefsky, mighty like a rose.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:31 pm

delamer wrote:
8foot7 wrote:
While a 24 h deadline is not common, I have been wondering, too, what difference it really makes, unless you are still interviewing with other potential employers.

You are hopefully not planning to use the offer to negotiate a raise/promotion with your current employer, so... write down the pros/cons, talk with your family about potential issues that affect them (longer commute? relocation? more evening work?), then sleep over it and make a decision tomorrow.

Do you have the offer in writing?

dandinsac

Post by dandinsac » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:36 pm

One concern that your new company may have is that you will go back to your existing employer and negotiate a better deal and leave them hanging.

Since it’s almost a weekend, you could tell them something like, “Thank you for your offer. This is an important decision in my career and would like the weekend to fairly evaluate your offer and make my final decision. I will let you know by 8 am Monday if I accept the offer. Be assurred that once I accept your offer, I will be committed to leaving XYZ and joining your firm. I am looking for a better opportunity, more responsibility, (or whatever) and I appreciate you giving this me opportunity.”

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:40 pm

I think 24 hours is enough time but it's not an abundance of time. The reason is that you should have been thinking about whether you would have accepted the job from the first contact you had with the new company.

If you NEED more time to decide, then tell them so, and tell them when you will inform the company of your decision. They are free to do whatever they want with that information.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:43 pm

What additional information will you gain in another 2 days? 24 hours is reasonable - they may have another candidate they want to move to if you aren't interested. - if you can't make a decision in a day then you perhaps aren't really interested.

delamer

Post by delamer » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:43 pm

mhadden1 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:28 pm
delamer wrote:
8foot7 wrote:
I don't think asking for two or three days is unreasonable at all.
We don’t know the employer’s side of the deadline. What if their second choice has told them she needs an offer within 48 hours or she is going to take another job?

I don’t think 72 hours is unreasonable either, but neither is 24 hours.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:44 pm

I tend to believe that shorter time frames like 24hrs are to try and prevent you from going to get a counteroffer. While of course you can accept the job and later renege if you accept a counteroffer, I think most people once they “sign on the dotted line” would commit to the move.

It’s not a deal breaker assuming you’ve done your research, reached out to others who may have worked there in order to figure out the company culture.

One thing I can tell you is that HR is generally not the best barometer for a company. Your manager and team will be the biggest barometer for how your time at the company goes.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:52 pm

90% of the time when I offer someone a job they accept right away. Why? Because through the interview cycle they have learned everything and already made the decision. If my HR dept asked for an answer in 24 hours and you asked for more time I would certainly see it as a red flag. The longer someone takes to decide the less likely they are to take the job. I'd rather have someone that was really motivated and excited to take the position versus someone that can't seem to make a decision.
Last edited by GoldStar on Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:52 pm

I have started giving short time frames to potential employees. The reason is I've been burned too many times providing people a week or two only to have them back out and we start the new hire process again. I understand that's part of the game but I now give them a window that I will only negotiate with them. After that period is up, I tell them I am opening up the offers to other candidates.

mighty72

Post by mighty72 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:53 pm

I was in a similar situation a few months ago. I politely told the recruiter that this was an important decision and I would need more time to think about it. I also told that I was very impressed by the team and I am inclining towards accepting but need to talk to significant other and a couple of other folks who are working in the company. The recruiter said okay, let us connect in 2 days

mighty72

Post by mighty72 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:05 pm

GoldStar wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:43 pm
What additional information will you gain in another 2 days? 24 hours is reasonable - they may have another candidate they want to move to if you aren't interested. - if you can't make a decision in a day then you perhaps aren't really interested.
There are number of things in the offer which are not disclosed before like salary, bonus structure, incentives for joining, etc. You might also want to talk to someone you know in the company about the work culture, etc which you were not comfortable doing so without an offer. It takes a couple of days to decide. I think some times these tactics are used to ensure that you don't negotiate and just accept.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:25 pm

I would want the weekend. 24 hours is crazy. The attempt to box you in doesn’t say much for the new company.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:55 pm

8foot7 wrote:
Why is that unreasonable? Presumably you have ALL the info. PRIOR to the clock starting. You have the location, the job description, the structure of who reports to who, what they want from you, your chances of moving up over time based on performance, etc... That was all had/ should have been had during the interview or shortly thereafter. Now you have the critical salary and benefit structure. That is when the clock should be ticking. How long does it take to go, "Yes this is the salary and numbers I wanted" or "No it is not the salary or numbers I wanted". As I mentioned everything else should have already been knows BEFORE this clock starting.

The ONLY reasons you can't decide is either: 1. The applicant is getting cold feet or 2. They are trying to leverage this deal for their current or another employer. Either way that is NOT what a boss or future employer wants in a future employee. Heck, if I didn't have the answer in 24 hours I wouldn't wait for the applicant to turn me down I would just send a generic email saying times up and then go to the next person on my list. No one is worth the extra time.

Reality is folks think TOO highly of their ability. There are VERY few folks who are really needed in any company to make it go. Those folks don't need to worry as they have already known and have been moving up the chain in their current company as they DON'T want to be lost as they are too valuable. Anybody who hasn't been moved up doesn't really matter if they stay or not. Hurts to hear, but most folks are replaceable.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

awval999

Post by awval999 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:11 pm

staythecourse wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:55 pm
8foot7 wrote:
Why is that unreasonable? Presumably you have ALL the info. PRIOR to the clock starting. You have the location, the job description, the structure of who reports to who, what they want from you, your chances of moving up over time based on performance, etc... That was all had/ should have been had during the interview or shortly thereafter. Now you have the critical salary and benefit structure. That is when the clock should be ticking. How long does it take to go, "Yes this is the salary and numbers I wanted" or "No it is not the salary or numbers I wanted". As I mentioned everything else should have already been knows BEFORE this clock starting.

The ONLY reasons you can't decide is either: 1. The applicant is getting cold feet or 2. They are trying to leverage this deal for their current or another employer. Either way that is NOT what a boss or future employer wants in a future employee. Heck, if I didn't have the answer in 24 hours I wouldn't wait for the applicant to turn me down I would just send a generic email saying times up and then go to the next person on my list. No one is worth the extra time.

Reality is folks think TOO highly of their ability. There are VERY few folks who are really needed in any company to make it go. Those folks don't need to worry as they have already known and have been moving up the chain in their current company as they DON'T want to be lost as they are too valuable. Anybody who hasn't been moved up doesn't really matter if they stay or not. Hurts to hear, but most folks are replaceable.

Good luck.
Why even offer 24 hours, then? Why not 12 hours? End of business day? One hour?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:18 pm

delamer wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:43 pm
We don’t know the employer’s side of the deadline. What if their second choice has told them she needs an offer within 48 hours or she is going to take another job?

I don’t think 72 hours is unreasonable either, but neither is 24 hours.
I had the same thought: There might be another candidate that they feel is equally qualified waiting in the wings.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

imyeti2

Post by imyeti2 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:35 pm

I had a candidate accept my offer and renege a week before joining. Such is life.

If you accept now and do not join later, what harm can it cause? It is definitely unethical ...

Topic Author
trustquestioner

Post by trustquestioner » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:00 pm

Relatively small community/industry, I definitely don’t want to burn a bridge.

The benefits are substantially worse and the commute is much longer, so I’m leaning towards declining. The 24 hour thing struck me as a bit odd and is making the decision easier.

Randtor

Post by Randtor » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:10 pm

trustquestioner wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:00 pm
The benefits are substantially worse and the commute is much longer, so I’m leaning towards declining. The 24 hour thing struck me as a bit odd and is making the decision easier.
You must have an idea in your mind if you really want it. Weigh the Pros (20% raise, and... what else??) vs the Cons (worse benefits, longer commute), factor in your happiness quota where you work (do you want to stay or leave), life style impact of raise vs the cons, where you are in life and where you want to be down the road. I'm guessing you interviewed with a new company for a reason.
24 hours? I think you already know..... :wink:
"Whats done is done, and can't be undone"

StandingRock

Post by StandingRock » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:24 pm

It could be a number of things, I agree with some of the other responses that are speculating that they want to box you out of a counteroffer from your current company.

I had a bad experience with being given a 24 hour deadline. However, I was working with a 3rd party recruiter so it is a little bit different. They were definitely pressuring me to take the job by giving a short deadline. I did not have time to do my due diligence on researching the situation I was going into and it was a huge mistake. I knew within the first couple of weeks that I had screwed up taking by the job. Long story short, I left an average to bad situation to move laterally into a bad to horrible situation.

You live and you learn. I wasted six months at the new job and moved on as soon as I could. I have since blocked that recruiter on LinkedIn, email, and phone number.

Be careful. It's hard to absorb all the information you have gathered, read between the lines on everything they tell you, and compare with current situation in a 24 hour window. It would help if you have someone on the inside at the new job that would give you the real scoop, but that's not always an option.

dziuniek

Post by dziuniek » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:39 pm

Normally, I would ask for more time but you sound like you're leaning towards declining the offer. You can decline and even mention the short time frame a factor, but I wouldn't bother.

It doesn't sound like you need more time to make the decision - but that's because you don't sound like you're on the fence at all. I think your mind is made up.

If I can tell this much - or atleast that's how I am hearing it - sort of ... wishy-washy... then I wouldn't bother with a potential candidate such as this for longer than 24 hours either.

This isn't to put you downm but rather to let you know that you sound like you don't want it. Asking for more time when you know is just a waste of time. Don't spend your weekend mulling over it when deep down you don't want it.

If there is a number that would make this work... for example if HR says: "what about 25%" then have an answer ready.

If 20% isn't making you jump, I don't know if 25% would.

Good luck on the next one!

ved

Post by ved » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:48 pm

OP,

When was the initial offer made? Have you negotiated on the offer at all? Did this 20% increase come after negotiation, and both of you agreed it's fair. In that case, 24 hours maybe enough, as you would have had the time to discuss with your family and considered all the relevant parameters.

If the initial offer was today, then start negotiating. Ask for more salary, better benefits, bonus, etc. That will prolong the decision period.
If they will not budge on the compensation/ benefits at all, then, politely tell them that though you really want to work there, you were expecting better compensation for the skills/drive you will bring. However, you want to think through this as you really want to work there, and would need the weekend to convince yourself that this a great opportunity for you.

tindel

Post by tindel » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:52 pm

imyeti2 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:35 pm
If you accept now and do not join later, what harm can it cause? It is definitely unethical ...
How on earth is this unethical? It might not win you brownie points with the people involved in the future, but taking an offer, only to find out a week later that you have a better opportunity somewhere else is not unethical. Not in my book anyway. It's business. Each person is their own business. If you're looking for a job, it's prudent to be interviewing with several companies. Any company giving you an offer should realize there's other companies potentially out there looking for your skill set, and should make the strongest offer they are willing or they are taking a risk of losing you.

If you work for 6 weeks and take another job is that unethical?

Most states are at-will these days on both sides of the fence. Either party can terminate employment at any time for any reason.

Don't take it personal - it's business.

magister

Post by magister » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:59 pm

It is one thing if they prefer to have an answer within 24 hours. But if you politely ask for the weekend to make the decision, and they refuse, I would move on. To decline such a request seems to me to be a breach of basic decorum and professional etiquette. It also seems to me to be a boneheaded business practice. Decisions made in haste are more likely to be wrong; I think this kind of inflexibility increases the chances that employees won’t stick around.

Incidentally, there are all kinds of good reasons why someone might want more than 24 hours yo make such a big decision. For example, maybe one’s spouse is out of town and so unable to discuss the details of an offer immediately.

celia

Post by celia » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:07 pm

8foot7 wrote:
It is immature of them to give you a hard 24 hour deadline. I agree with your suggested approach. Tell them you will have made a decision within 72 business hours ...
72 business hours???
72 / 8hr = 9 days (almost 2 business weeks if you assume business works 8 hour days)

Is this what you really mean?

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:10 pm

imyeti2 wrote:
I had a candidate accept my offer and renege a week before joining. Such is life.
I had a candidate accept, work for two weeks, then just disappear. We had to fire him for job abandonment. A couple of years later, someone else came to work for us from the same company. I mentioned that guy. “Yeah, he wasn’t sure he wanted to work for you guys, so he worked for you during his vacation. He decided he liked his old job better, so when his vacation was up, he went back.”

This was during the dotcom bubble, when people could behave like total idiots, and still get hired.

I also had to lay someone off on their first day, so it works both ways.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:19 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:31 pm
...Do you have the offer in writing?
^^^ This. You have no offer until you've received an email (or actual letter) signed by someone with authority to give you the job.

If they want a decision before that happens, thank them for their time and look elsewhere.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:26 pm

trustquestioner wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:09 pm
I have a job offer. 20% raise in salary, slightly worse benefits. New opportunity is more secure but has a lower ceiling moving forward. Current job has marginal political environment; new job would be better (I think - you never know).

Anyway, I’m legit undecided and they only gave me 24 hours. I’m thinking of just going back to hr and saying I need more time and if they can’t do it I appreciate the interest but it’s not going to work.

Thoughts?
You want to work for an organization that only gave you 24 hours to make one of the most important decisions of your life?

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:37 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:10 pm
imyeti2 wrote:
I had a candidate accept, work for two weeks, then just disappear. We had to fire him for job abandonment. A couple of years later, someone else came to work for us from the same company. I mentioned that guy. “Yeah, he wasn’t sure he wanted to work for you guys, so he worked for you during his vacation. He decided he liked his old job better, so when his vacation was up, he went back.”

This was during the dotcom bubble, when people could behave like total idiots, and still get hired.

I also had to lay someone off on their first day, so it works both ways.

I don't condone it, but that's a great story!

JustSomeGuy155

Post by JustSomeGuy155 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:40 pm

staythecourse wrote:
8foot7 wrote:
I was once given a 24 hour timeline after receiving a second offer from them, a day or two after interviewing. It was the decisive factor for me choosing another offer I had from a different company. It wasn't so much the timeline, rather the way that it was communicated. "Here is your offer, you have 24h to decide." Without any explanation why.

Since I was up front with them that I was in the process of interviewing with several companies, same as they were interviewing multiple candidates, it came across as a rude power play. I wasn't sure if they would continue to make other unexplained ultimatums once I joined the company.

By contrast, at the company whose offer I accepted, when I told them I was in the process of interviewing at a couple other places, they had an executive reach out to take me out to lunch and answer any questions I had about them to help me make my decision.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:43 pm

I have a job offer. 20% raise in salary....
20% increase from what to what? from $40k to $48k? or $400k to ....? (that kinda matters!)

Is it across town? or across the country?

do you have to sell a house? pull kids out of school? move away from family? etc^3

provided info seems far too vague to give advice.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:50 pm

24 hours would be a dealbreaker for me. I just can’t properly evaluate my options in 24 hours. Plus it makes me think they have something to hide. I’d pass. If companies insist on not giving me enough time to evaluate my options, they are just begging for me to play their game and accept only to renege later when I get a better offer. I doubt most employers would prefer that.

Goal33

Post by Goal33 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:11 pm

tindel wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:52 pm
imyeti2 wrote:
How on earth is this unethical? It might not win you brownie points with the people involved in the future, but taking an offer, only to find out a week later that you have a better opportunity somewhere else is not unethical. Not in my book anyway. It's business. Each person is their own business. If you're looking for a job, it's prudent to be interviewing with several companies. Any company giving you an offer should realize there's other companies potentially out there looking for your skill set, and should make the strongest offer they are willing or they are taking a risk of losing you.

If you work for 6 weeks and take another job is that unethical?

Most states are at-will these days on both sides of the fence. Either party can terminate employment at any time for any reason.

Don't take it personal - it's business.
+1
A man with one watch always knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never sure.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:30 pm

trustquestioner wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:09 pm

Thoughts?
To me that is unreasonable to give 24 hours vs I am sure they made you do apply for the job, then took 2-3 weeks to call you for a phone screen, then took another week or two for a first interview then another week or two for a second interview then probably another week or two to make a decision, this is an employee job market and they need to recognize they don't have the power or control. remember they are COURTING you, the way they act now is the absolute best they are going to act, so if they are acting like this I am sure when there is a work deadline, there will be no flexibility, and it is all about their needs, I would say I need 3 days to review and talk it over with my wife and if that isn't acceptable then I am sorry, I will have to pass. I would love for you to ask them what is going to change in 24 hours that the MUST have an answer... to me it sounds like they don't care if you take it or not they just need someone to start ASAP and do not have a good structure and probably horrible work life balance. I would problably just tell them to keep their offer...

pennylane

Post by pennylane » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:38 pm

delamer wrote:
8foot7 wrote:
This. Why did you apply to the job if you weren’t sure you wanted it? If I apply for a job, I don’t need more than 5 minutes to decide. Why would they tie up valuable time for you to then say no? They probably have other candidates they need to move on fast or they won’t be available.

Also, more than likely a position that can’t be vacant for long without affecting business.

72 hours. If a candidate came back to me requesting that I’d retract my offer.

28fe6

Post by 28fe6 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:51 pm

awval999 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:11 pm
staythecourse wrote:
8foot7 wrote:

Good luck.
I would love it if I could walk out of an interview with the deal done. I have often said, even when interviewing out of state, that I am able to start the next day, should we come to an agreeable offer. So far, no company has taken me up on it, and they always take days or weeks to issue an offer.

learningstill

Post by learningstill » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:00 am

Out of curiosity, did they extend the offer at the end of your interview or did they follow up later with it? If later, how long did it take?

I think it's reasonable for them to ask for an answer in 24 hours but I also think it's reasonable for you to request more time and I would expect them to give you a couple more days.

asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:57 am

pennylane wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:38 pm
Also, more than likely a position that can’t be vacant for long without affecting business.

One could consider the question strategically. The answer to a request of the weekend to respond could reveal concrete information about the culture of the company and of the hiring authority that you'd have to work for. (I think the economists call this the difference between stated and revealed preferences.) Refusal could reasonably generate thoughts of, thank god I found out about that martinet before I had to work for them.
Regards, | | Guy

StandingRock

Post by StandingRock » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:14 am

pennylane wrote:
delamer wrote:
8foot7 wrote:
This. Why did you apply to the job if you weren’t sure you wanted it? If I apply for a job, I don’t need more than 5 minutes to decide. Why would they tie up valuable time for you to then say no? They probably have other candidates they need to move on fast or they won’t be available.

A job interview should be a two-way street. It's an information gathering process. It's not unusual at all for someone to apply for a job and then get information during the process that is a "deal-breaker". Many, many companies and hiring managers do NOT have a good grasp on what they NEED or even WANT when it comes to staffing a project or department.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:27 am

OP,

Follow your instinct and intuition. If you need more time, ask for it. Do not rush into any major decision.

KlangFool

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:30 am

KyleAAA wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:50 pm
24 hours would be a dealbreaker for me. I just can’t properly evaluate my options in 24 hours. Plus it makes me think they have something to hide. I’d pass. If companies insist on not giving me enough time to evaluate my options, they are just begging for me to play their game and accept only to renege later when I get a better offer. I doubt most employers would prefer that.
Many schools have explicit rules about "exploding offers" made to their students for internships by on-campus recruiters. Those students could have, at worst, a sub-optimal summer. A working adult deserves, absent extraordinary circumstances (which would be explained to them), at least a couple of nights to "sleep on it."
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:02 am

awval999 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:11 pm
staythecourse wrote:
8foot7 wrote:

Good luck.
The answer lies in discussing with spouse if you have one or if your at work it gives you time to make the decision AFTER work when you have time to mull it over. Many folk's spouse work and not so easy to make a big decision trying to get a hold of your significant other while they are at work as well. Besides standard SOP in many fields of business is 24 hours. Think about when you buy a house. An offer is made you usually get 24 hours to accept/ deny/ or counter offer. Why should this be any different.

In your protest you did not mention WHY you need more then 24 hours. Maybe explaining that would help. Remember in ANY decision making it is the person who has the power that calls the shots. The answer is they don't need you. They may WANT you, but they will just find someone else to take that spot if you have a problem with their SOP.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:08 am

JustSomeGuy155 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:40 pm
staythecourse wrote:
8foot7 wrote:
I was once given a 24 hour timeline after receiving a second offer from them, a day or two after interviewing. It was the decisive factor for me choosing another offer I had from a different company. It wasn't so much the timeline, rather the way that it was communicated. "Here is your offer, you have 24h to decide." Without any explanation why.

Since I was up front with them that I was in the process of interviewing with several companies, same as they were interviewing multiple candidates, it came across as a rude power play. I wasn't sure if they would continue to make other unexplained ultimatums once I joined the company.

By contrast, at the company whose offer I accepted, when I told them I was in the process of interviewing at a couple other places, they had an executive reach out to take me out to lunch and answer any questions I had about them to help me make my decision.
Understandable as many folks would be annoyed. Personally, I'm a bit autistic in these situations as I don't get emotional. As mentioned, there is a reason for nearly everything in life (if you or I agree is different). Communication in every aspect of life breaks down as folks 1. Don't explain WHY they are doing X and/ or 2. The person offended doesn't ask WHY someone is doing X. If you asked I can bet they would have said they have been in situations either the candidate played them to get a better deal elsewhere and/ or they lost out on other candidates waiting to hear back from one that got the offer. The company is going to do what is best for them and you are going to do what is best for you. That is how the world should and does work.

Good luck.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:11 am

pennylane wrote:

This. Why did you apply to the job if you weren’t sure you wanted it? If I apply for a job, I don’t need more than 5 minutes to decide. [snip]

I think this is nonsense. Over my career I have interviewed literally dozens of times for jobs that I didn't know whether I wanted or not. I worked at my first employer for 14 years and interviewed 2 or 3 times a year, often receiving job offers. I never accepted any of them, but several I seriously considered for several days before declining.

Now, as a hiring manager, I understand the need to put a deadline on it. But if I made an offer to a candidate and they requested an extra day or two to think it over, I would absolutely give it to them.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:15 am

28fe6 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:51 pm
I have often said, even when interviewing out of state, that I am able to start the next day, should we come to an agreeable offer. So far, no company has taken me up on it, and they always take days or weeks to issue an offer.
I'm not sure you're serving yourself well with this comment. Assuming you have a job currently, I would expect you would give standard notice to your employer. If a candidate told me they were willing to just leave their current employer the next day, I would probably not give them an offer...it would just be a matter of time before they decided not to give ME notice in the future.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:17 am

staythecourse wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:08 am

Understandable as many folks would be annoyed. Personally, I'm a bit autistic in these situations as I don't get emotional. As mentioned, there is a reason for nearly everything in life (if you or I agree is different). Communication in every aspect of life breaks down as folks 1. Don't explain WHY they are doing X and/ or 2. The person offended doesn't ask WHY someone is doing X. If you asked I can bet they would have said they have been in situations either the candidate played them to get a better deal elsewhere and/ or they lost out on other candidates waiting to hear back from one that got the offer.

Good luck.
staythecourse,

<< If you asked I can bet they would have said they have been in situations either the candidate played them to get a better deal elsewhere and/ or they lost out on other candidates waiting to hear back from one that got the offer.>>

So what? It is a relationship. The employer has to do whatever necessary to make the candidate comfortable in accepting the job offer. The lack of effort in this part is telling. The employer is not interested in a long-term relationship.

<<The company is going to do what is best for them and you are going to do what is best for you. That is how the world should and does work.>>

That is not how it works if the company is interested in a longer-term commitment.

KlangFool