Moved to new state/job 6M ago. Previous employer wants me back!

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Epsilon Delta

Re: Moved to new state/job 6M ago. Previous employer wants me back!

Post by Epsilon Delta »

sunny_socal wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:05 am I moved from CA to TX about 6 months ago.
So have you been in TX in August? :twisted:
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

For me, this would be a no-brainer: Under no circumstances would I move to California for anything less than $2 million per year. Period.

For a $10k difference??? Not a chance.

But for you, as others have said, family trumps everything.

If you feel your brain starting to rot from the lack of stimulation, pick up a hobby or research project on your own time.
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

sunny_socal wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:43 pm Thanks for the feedback y'all!

Told the old company I'm not interested in moving back. They're now deciding whether they'd let me work out of the local TX office instead while working on the CA-based project. This is feasible since I've seen other people do it, but it depends on how much interaction there would be with other teams.

Anyway all of this seems unlikely to make me want to take any offer. I think it might be a bad career move to leave a local company 6M after joining and hence burn many bridges! A career isn't built only around the things I've learned, the products I build or the money. I'm not into "networking" but I do value my relationships. If I look 5-10 years down the road I'm more likely to have a stable career in my new town by putting some good years into my current position and getting to know people.
If they didn’t immediately tell you that you could work from Texas than they either aren’t serious or aren’t competent.

Move on
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

Bacchus01 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:02 am
sunny_socal wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:43 pm Thanks for the feedback y'all!

Told the old company I'm not interested in moving back. They're now deciding whether they'd let me work out of the local TX office instead while working on the CA-based project. This is feasible since I've seen other people do it, but it depends on how much interaction there would be with other teams.

Anyway all of this seems unlikely to make me want to take any offer. I think it might be a bad career move to leave a local company 6M after joining and hence burn many bridges! A career isn't built only around the things I've learned, the products I build or the money. I'm not into "networking" but I do value my relationships. If I look 5-10 years down the road I'm more likely to have a stable career in my new town by putting some good years into my current position and getting to know people.
If they didn’t immediately tell you that you could work from Texas than they either aren’t serious or aren’t competent.

Move on
Stay the current course. Your former employer and or boss do not seem to have high long term forward looking visibility. I would not hitch my much less my family’s wagons to this organization and leadership team. Perhaps the fact that 6 months following your departure there is now the desire or need for your services.

I would not even consider returning to this unstable environment with a golden parachute that consists of guaranteed financial compensation should your position no longer be necessary. When I mean golden, I mean golden such as guaranteed exit payout for every year short of 10 years (without cause- you can’t do something illegal or dumb). If they can’t foresee their business out at least 5 years then that speaks volumes! Your prior boss or manager is likely a cog and has no influence and thus not a decision maker, thus you would be susceptible to this persons management shortcomings, which in hindsite has shown to be poor if your situation is accurate.
GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker »

SimonJester wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:37 am I'd stay put with the new job, you said returning to the old job would be more stress. Traveling to Socal multiple times a month will add to that stress both on you and your family.

"Supposedly a brand new project being started in a hot field (AI)"

This doesn't sound super promising, the new project could never materialize, could not take off and be canceled after six months?
^that
KlingKlang wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:07 pm You quit the old company because "things had really dried up and all projects were killed". Now the old company has ONE (?) new project. What happens when that one dries up?
^ and that

Plus, the CA state tax on $180k is over $10k.

My BS detector is suspicious that the new AI activity at the California job is not a sure thing and is being overstated by your old employer.

You like your old employer, but you like yourself and your family more.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.
Pobre

Post by Pobre »

Keep the new job, and for get the old one. Stay where you are.
RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 »

Stay in Texas. Quality of life, California versus Texas, is a no brainer.
AtlBoglehead

Post by AtlBoglehead »

Don't move. Just say no.