Where to put money aside for car fund?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
crossbow

Where to put money aside for car fund?

Post by crossbow »

We are looking to purchase a new car within the next 1-5 years (depending on how much longer our 6yo/70K mile vehicle lasts us). This may or may not be a new/used vehicle, and we are unsure how much we want to spend. For now, we plan to put vested RSUs, ESPP and tax return $ aside in anticipation of this purchase.

Where would Bogleheads recommend we put these periodic few-thousand-dollar deposits ? Ally Savings? Money market fund? Bond fund?
sport

Re: Where to put money aside for car fund?

Post by sport »

I use a Vanguard MM fund. You never know when you will want to use a car fund. Someone could run into your car tomorrow and total it. So, I keep it very short duration.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

I use total stock market VTSAX.
I buy a car every six or seven years.
I like the long term capital gains rate compared to ordinary income tax rate...
Attempted new signature...
ninjafirepants

Post by ninjafirepants »

Where would a Boglehead put it? Probably either a high-yield savings account or a money-market fund, as you suggested, focused primarily on the loss-avoidance. It's really all just a determination of how much risk you might want to take, and how flexible you are with the purchase date. Just remember - this is a good problem to have, and don't stress out about it.

With rising interest rates, bonds are iffy (even though the Fed has suggested they're going to chill out a bit), so I'd probably just park it in an Ally account and stop thinking about it; we actually went through a similar process a few years ago when saving up to buy a new house (moving), slowly divesting and moving money over to savings. We might have had more money taking on a little more risk, but I slept like a baby.
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

emergency fund for my wifes car, which earns 2% (checking account). we would never spend more than like 5-8k tho, well she would but i would veto
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
Thecallofduty

Post by Thecallofduty »

Personally i would choose Vanguard money market or high yield savings.
-thecallofduty
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

In your checking account generally as you get closer or VG MM fund for a longer span. I keep enough in the MM fund to at least partially buy bigger ticket items but also have sold investments to buy cars. Seems to me a 6 year 70,000 mile vehicle has more than a few more years left in it.
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

I take the loan that the car manufacturer offers.

Targeted Car payment is $250-$300 (Accord type)

Targeted SUV payment is $450.

I will put a few thousand down to help get my payments where I want them.

It’s really not that much interest (0.9 or 1.9%) for me to make a concerted effort to pay cash for these vehicles.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

To be clear here, you are talking about a small amount of money. The difference in returns among the "safe" things will be at most like a few hundred dollars over 5 years.

If I felt the need for a dedicated pot I might go treasuries because I live in a high tax state. I wouldn't use a bank savings account paying less than a money market fund.

Final comment, a 6 year 70k car should last more than 5 years.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

Another vote for online savings or MM fund.

Another option would be a shorter-term Treasury bill ladder (which can be set to auto-roll if purchased through Fidelity), especially if you live in a state with a relatively high tax rate.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Problem with using savings account, MM fund, or ST bond fund is that interest and bond dividends are taxed as additional Ordinary Income, taxed at 24% for me. This is no fun.

Accumulate funds in a stock index fund like VTSAX or VFIAX instead and your Qualified Dividends and eventual LT Capital Gain is taxed at 15%. This is lots more fun.

And if the stock market is down around the time you wanted to buy that new car, you still have options, from delaying a while to doing a car loan...
Attempted new signature...
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

crossbow wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:33 pm We are looking to purchase a new car within the next 1-5 years (depending on how much longer our 6yo/70K mile vehicle lasts us). This may or may not be a new/used vehicle, and we are unsure how much we want to spend. For now, we plan to put vested RSUs, ESPP and tax return $ aside in anticipation of this purchase.

Where would Bogleheads recommend we put these periodic few-thousand-dollar deposits ? Ally Savings? Money market fund? Bond fund?
Vanguard Prime Money Market Fund (VMMXX).
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Vanguard Prime Money Market Fund.
guyesmith

Post by guyesmith »

I'm using VBIAX for my long-term car savings. Each month I make a car payment to myself. When I need a car I withdraw what I need for the car. Over time I expect it to be a size-able car fund I only pull from every 3-5 years.
m@ver1ck

Post by m@ver1ck »

Would you invest in a California MUNI instead of Vanguard Prime Money Market? It's 2% vs. 2.5%, but after taxes it would be slightly more...
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

MikeG62 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:58 am Another vote for online savings or MM fund.

Another option would be a shorter-term Treasury bill ladder (which can be set to auto-roll if purchased through Fidelity), especially if you live in a state with a relatively high tax rate.
I’d go with auto rolled t-bills as well. Should beat most other risk-free rates even before the state tax waiver.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

mega317 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:08 am Final comment, a 6 year 70k car should last more than 5 years.
+1

At a little over 11,000 miles per year and assuming 200,000 miles, you still have a good 11 years left unless you just want to get another car just because.

Personally I don't worry about this amount of money and the small opportunity costs and just keep the money in my savings account where I can transfer it via smart phone into my checking account as I'm writing the check for the next vehicle.