Question About Deed Upon Death

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
bluebutterfly50

Question About Deed Upon Death

Post by bluebutterfly50 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:11 pm

I'm filing a "Deed Upon Death" form for my home so that it will transfer outside of probate. It's a fairly simple form and I'm getting it ready to file at my local courthouse. Here's my question: my court requires a cover letter to be attached to the front of the document for filing and recording purposes. One of the places on the form says: Mail Tax Forms To: (applicable to documents transferring real property). Since I am not actually transferring the property yet (only filing a revocable deed upon my death), I assume I would put my name and address in that space, right? And not the charity I'm deeding my property to. Because if I do that, the tax forms will go to the charity and not to me which obviously I don't want to happen at this point (only at time of death when the Deed would become applicable). Just want to make sure I'm doing this right! Thanks!

ResearchMed

Re: Question About Deed Upon Death

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:23 pm

bluebutterfly50 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:11 pm
I'm filing a "Deed Upon Death" form for my home so that it will transfer outside of probate. It's a fairly simple form and I'm getting it ready to file at my local courthouse. Here's my question: my court requires a cover letter to be attached to the front of the document for filing and recording purposes. One of the places on the form says: Mail Tax Forms To: (applicable to documents transferring real property). Since I am not actually transferring the property yet (only filing a revocable deed upon my death), I assume I would put my name and address in that space, right? And not the charity I'm deeding my property to. Because if I do that, the tax forms will go to the charity and not to me which obviously I don't want to happen at this point (only at time of death when the Deed would become applicable). Just want to make sure I'm doing this right! Thanks!
Can't you ask the Courthouse (a clerk, or ?) about just what should be entered in each field if it isn't completely obvious?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

bogle520

Re: Question About Deed Upon Death

Post by bogle520 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:47 pm

bluebutterfly50 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:11 pm
... Mail Tax Forms To: (applicable to documents transferring real property). Since I am not actually transferring the property yet (only filing a revocable deed upon my death), I assume I would put my name and address in that space, right?
Yes, exactly. Put your (i.e., the current owner) name and address.