Social Security reply

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Leroy Jones

Social Security reply

Post by Leroy Jones » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:56 am

I applied for spousal SS electronically on January 9th. My wife applied the same day for her FRA benefits plus two months. We are anticipating our first check in April. I'm wondering how long it should take to hear back from SS. I checked my online account and it says processing. It's said that since January 17 when they acknowledged receiving my online application. Just wondering what the Communities experience has been.
Thank you
Leroy Jones :sharebeer

Jimmie

Re: Social Security reply

Post by Jimmie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:47 am

You do know there was a government shutdown at the time you applied, right?

Any delays from that would be atypical for anyone else who applied at a different time.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:18 am

Jimmie wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:47 am
You do know there was a government shutdown at the time you applied, right?
I forget whether local SS offices were closed during the partial shutdown.
Were they?
Attempted new signature...

vtMaps

Post by vtMaps » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:32 am

Data point:
My wife applied in early December for restricted spousal benefits to start in March (first benefit check in April). She got an email a week later asking her to call SS office. She had the conversation with the SS agent on Dec 26th, which was during the shutdown.

As of Feb 8, my wife's application is still listed as processing.

--vtMaps
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true. --James Branch Cabell

Topic Author
Leroy Jones

Post by Leroy Jones » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:29 am

Jimmie, SS Offices were open and SS was not impacted by the shutdown. I went to the local SS Office on January 2, 2019 and gave them my required paperwork. Just wondering what others have experienced. My first check would be April but I would start my SS as of March.
Thanks

MtnBiker

Post by MtnBiker » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:06 pm

I applied in person in October for my retirement benefit and my wife's spousal benefit. It took over a month to receive an initial determination for myself and about 2 months for my wife. They are busy and backlogged. If your benefits start before they make a decision, then you are made whole with a lump sum payment.

Topic Author
Leroy Jones

Post by Leroy Jones » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:42 am

Just wondering if I should contact SS. As I said above applied electronically on January 9th. As of January 17 they say that they are processing my application. Haven't heard word one from SS and it's now February 24th. Benefits are supposed to start March 1, with first check in April. Many people on this site have more experience in this stuff than me so I'm looking for advice.

btenny

Post by btenny » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:45 am

Be patient. I suspect that you will get a check in March based on your bday. I am not sure but some of the processing and letter mailing may be slowed by the govt shutdown.

Good Luck.

jacksonm

Post by jacksonm » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:23 pm

The following sequence of events is my recent experience....

1.) Received a letter from the SSA around February 1 urging me to apply for my benefits because I would be turning 70 in June.
2.) Was going to wait until March but applied online on Feb 5.
3.) On Feb. 10, received another letter from the SSA acknowledging that the application was received and processing was underway.
4.) On Feb 19, received another letter informing me that the application was approved and that I would receive my first check in July.

So it was a matter of only two weeks from application to approval. Kind of surprising.

Topic Author
Leroy Jones

Post by Leroy Jones » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:08 am

Just thought I would give an update. It took about 7 weeks from application for the wife to get her SS approval, and it took 8 weeks for me. As planned we will be starting SS in April. I still haven't figured what took so long but it should be on it's way now.

TBillT

Post by TBillT » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:54 am

Leroy Jones wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:08 am
Just thought I would give an update. It took about 7 weeks from application for the wife to get her SS approval, and it took 8 weeks for me. As planned we will be starting SS in April. I still haven't figured what took so long but it should be on it's way now.
We have had a much better online experience just taking a few days for the online system to show approval. Within the last 6 months we have applied for Medicare online twice (once for each spouse), and in Jan_2019 we applied for one spouse to start collecting SS. In all 3 cases we saw prompt approval generally less than a week or so. Next my turn for SS restricted app later in this year.

I have no explanation except our case is straight forward no issues.

One thing confused us was I guess benefits are paid the following month, so I guess the Feb check was for January. We also relatively quickly got a refund for excess Medicare payment as we had paid in advance but now they are taking the Medicare from the monthly SS check, although I was starting to worry about that.
Last edited by TBillT on Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:04 am

TBillT wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:54 am

We have had a much better online experience just taking a few days for the online system to show approval. Within the last 6 months we have applied for Medicare online twice for both spouses, and in Jan_2019 we applied for one spouse to start collecting SS. In all 3 cases we saw prompt approval generally less than a week or so. Next my turn for SS restricted app later in this year.

One thing confused us was I guess benefits are paid the following month, so I guess the Feb check was for January. We also relatively quickly got a refund for excess Medicare payment as we had paid in advance but now they are taking the Medicare from the monthly SS check, although I was starting to worry about that.
We have had a similar good experience doing everything online, including 2 Medicare applications, my DW's SS and my restricted application. They were all back in 2015-2017, so I don't know if maybe there's been some changes since.

However, I wonder why you "applied for Medicare online twice for both spouses"? Did you each apply for Part A and Part B separately?

TBillT

Post by TBillT » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:22 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:04 am
TBillT wrote:

We have had a much better online experience just taking a few days for the online system to show approval. Within the last 6 months we have applied for Medicare online twice for both spouses, and in Jan_2019 we applied for one spouse to start collecting SS. In all 3 cases we saw prompt approval generally less than a week or so. Next my turn for SS restricted app later in this year.

We have had a similar good experience doing everything online, including 2 Medicare applications, my DW's SS and my restricted application. They were all back in 2015-2017, so I don't know if maybe there's been some changes since.

However, I wonder why you "applied for Medicare online twice for both spouses"? Did you each apply for Part A and Part B separately?
No sorry I just meant total of twice for Medicare (one time for each spouse and we both got Part A and Part B).

Topic Author
Leroy Jones

Post by Leroy Jones » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:32 am

Just received my official letter from Social Security. To my surprise they will be issuing a new Medicare card apparently under the wife's SS number. Is this normal? It shouldn't change anything with my current Medicare Advantage program should it?
Thanks

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:04 am

neilpilot wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:04 am
TBillT wrote:

We have had utterly miserable experiences with SS/Medicare so far. First attempt to establish online account for husband yielded series of completely unrelated security authentication questions (multiple choice for buying cars he never owned and addresses in states he never lived in) leading to online registration locked out; telephone auto-line reporting no ability to make appointment at local SS office; 7 hour wait at local SS office at which the only language business was conducted was Spanish-we are not bigots, however we are also not fully bilingual so this created some difficulty in deciphering random loudspeaker instructions and number calling; [one bright spot] helpful agent registered husband for Medicare part A, 'reset' online account and provided password for online access to SS website which worked once; subsequent attempt to log in yielding password-incorrect message and system does not allow updates.

The nightmare will continue shortly, I'm retiring so husband loses my medical insurance coverage and needs to register for Medicare part B. Have no reason to expect it will be anything other than another long ordeal with incredibly frustrating interactions until we stumble our way into chairs in front of a live human who will temporarily solve our problems. G*d only knows what may happen if and when he actually attempts to claim any money.

It would be nice to live in this world you speak of, where social security actually has an online interface, people are able to use it and things in fact happen the way they supposed to on time, in phase.

Unfortunately I live in Florida so doesn't look like I"ll ever dwell in that paradise :?

Pops1860

Post by Pops1860 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:41 am

I believe that the Medicare card # is based on who is paying for the coverage. If you are claiming (restricted) spousal coverage, then your spouse's social security is paying for your Medicare coverage.

When you switch to your own earnings record coverage, you will again get a 'new' Medicare #.

I think this is how it goes (from memory of how it worked with us back when...), others can correct this if it's not accurate description of how this works.
The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those who do not have it. ~George Bernard Shaw

vtMaps

Post by vtMaps » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:08 am

Pops1860 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:41 am
I believe that the Medicare card # is based on who is paying for the coverage. If you are claiming (restricted) spousal coverage, then your spouse's social security is paying for your Medicare coverage.

When you switch to your own earnings record coverage, you will again get a 'new' Medicare #.

I think this is how it goes (from memory of how it worked with us back when...), others can correct this if it's not accurate description of how this works.
I think that's how it used to be when your medicare number was your SS number. Here's a very recent data point:
When my wife began medicare (a year ago), her medicare card had her SS number. A few months ago they sent her a new card with a new, non SS number. This month, my wife has begun collecting SS benefits (restricted spousal) and they just sent her a new medicare card with the same (non SS) number that she already had.

--vtMaps
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true. --James Branch Cabell

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:28 am

I'm about three weeks in since I submitted my online restricted application. Had a phone call from SS the other day and they spoke to my spouse verifying marriage information after trying to convince me that I ought to file for my retirement benefits and have my spouse switch to spousal rather than own benefits. I checked back online two days later and saw that they now showed that I indeed was applying for spousal and not retirement benefits. Same day, I get a letter from person I spoke to on the phone stating we had talked (did not) about eligibility for SSI and that was not eligible but might be if I acted now.

I did feel somewhat affirmed that the benefit my spouse is getting and the spousal benefit I'm getting matched what I calculated from http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10070.pdf .

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:28 am

Very smooth for all the above, here, but it was 3 years ago, 62 in March 2016, filed online 89 days before my 62nd, approval in 3 weeks as I recall, had to be 62 a FULL calendar month prior to receiving a check, thus April 2016, first direct deposit the 3rd Wednesday of May 2016. Lump sum change notice Oct 2016, along with a new payment amount and the additional lump sum deposit same month. If you are receiving SSA prior to Medicare age, you will AUTOMATICALLY receive your Medicare card in the mail 3-4 months prior to your start date, which is the first day of the month you turn 65.

The system sounds overloaded, and I suspect it will continue to be, as the peak of the baby boomers turn 62, with the 1957 birth year being the peak as I recall from memory. They are turning 62 this year of (2019) of course.

I was planning on a personal visit to the local SSA office, and called to ask of their routine slowest day, when a helpful gentleman urged me to try online first. I did and it was a smooth and pleasant experience.

OPM has been on a backlog status for 2-3 years, and their turn-around has been poor too, especially if you have more than a streamlined application, (divorce & and two agencies) The D-E-W (dear ex-wife) still has changes pending from Sept 1 2017 retirement date.

TBillT

Post by TBillT » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:54 am

Carl53 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:28 am
I'm about three weeks in since I submitted my online restricted application. Had a phone call from SS the other day and they spoke to my spouse verifying marriage information after trying to convince me that I ought to file for my retirement benefits and have my spouse switch to spousal rather than own benefits. I checked back online two days later and saw that they now showed that I indeed was applying for spousal and not retirement benefits. Same day, I get a letter from person I spoke to on the phone stating we had talked (did not) about eligibility for SSI and that was not eligible but might be if I acted now.

I did feel somewhat affirmed that the benefit my spouse is getting and the spousal benefit I'm getting matched what I calculated from http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10070.pdf .
I got a what I thought was a strange letter from SS recommending that I start taking payments. Wonder why they feel they need to proactively tell people to take benefits?

Mike Piper advised me The SSA does seem to have an unofficial policy of operating on the assumption that people want their benefits as soon as possible -- which is true for most people, even if not necessarily a good decision -- so much of their messaging is written with that implicit assumption in mind. Ditto for conversations with SSA representatives.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:28 pm

jacksonm wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:23 pm
Received a letter from the SSA around February 1 urging me to apply for my benefits because I would be turning 70 in June.
You did? Same situation here, turning 70 this June. I got no such letter. :(

Maybe it was because I insulted them (?) By ignoring the letter I did get when turning FRA nearly four years ago. That one excitedly announced the news that I qualified for a higher monthly benefit, stating that they thought I did not know this, and urged me to look into it right away! So I wouldn't miss out on this "extra" $$$. The phrasing strongly suggested it was written by the same people who write the scripts for GEICO insurance commercials. :shock:

Of course, there was absolutely zero mention in this letter of the benefits of delaying until age 70.

Had been drawing widow's benefit since 2009, guess that generated reason for letter. Apparently, as others here have noted, SSA encourages shell games type thinking, and eschews any idea of delayed gratification. :P

jacksonm

Post by jacksonm » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:53 pm

drawpoker wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:28 pm
jacksonm wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:23 pm
Received a letter from the SSA around February 1 urging me to apply for my benefits because I would be turning 70 in June.
You did? Same situation here, turning 70 this June. I got no such letter. :(

Maybe it was because I insulted them (?) By ignoring the letter I did get when turning FRA nearly four years ago. That one excitedly announced the news that I qualified for a higher monthly benefit, stating that they thought I did not know this, and urged me to look into it right away! So I wouldn't miss out on this "extra" $$$. The phrasing strongly suggested it was written by the same people who write the scripts for GEICO insurance commercials. :shock:

Of course, there was absolutely zero mention in this letter of the benefits of delaying until age 70.

Had been drawing widow's benefit since 2009, guess that generated reason for letter. Apparently, as others here have noted, SSA encourages shell games type thinking, and eschews any idea of delayed gratification. :P
You probably didn't get it because you were already receiving widow's benefits. I think the letter was probably aimed at those who were turning 70 and had never applied for benefits before .

Topic Author
Leroy Jones

Post by Leroy Jones » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:33 pm

My "Official Letter" also states that I will have to apply for any benefits other than the spousal benefits, not including Medicare since I'm already on Medicare. I take that to mean that 3 months before I turn 70, or any time before 70 if I choose to take my benefits, I'll have to apply for my benefits. I don't believe that transition to full benefits will be automatic.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:49 pm

Leroy Jones wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:33 pm
.... don't believe that transition to full benefits will be automatic.
Yes, that is correct, if you will be switching from spousal to your own old age benefit it is a whole new application.

There is still a lot of confusion and misinformation coming from SSA offices. Ex: Friends of mine were able to get in on the
"file and suspend" strategy before the law changed. When husband turned FRA, he filed and immediately suspended as soon as wife filed for spousal and was approved.

He just turned 70 (still working) March 1st and believes that SSA will automatically "un-suspend" his status, start sending him checks as of next month. Without any action on his part. Why? Because some SSA worker told him that 4 years ago.

I told him, Don't bet on it......

sport

Post by sport » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:22 pm

drawpoker wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:49 pm
Leroy Jones wrote:
Yes, that is correct, if you will be switching from spousal to your own old age benefit it is a whole new application.

There is still a lot of confusion and misinformation coming from SSA offices. Ex: Friends of mine were able to get in on the
"file and suspend" strategy before the law changed. When husband turned FRA, he filed and immediately suspended as soon as wife filed for spousal and was approved.

He just turned 70 (still working) March 1st and believes that SSA will automatically "un-suspend" his status, start sending him checks as of next month. Without any action on his part. Why? Because some SSA worker told him that 4 years ago.

Yes. We were given incorrect info at our local SS office. They gave DW payments she was not entitled to receive. She had to pay it all back. And then, there was the 1099 form showing she received the money, and then we had to file income taxes and then...

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:13 pm

This morning I logged into my checking account and saw a deposit of $271 in my name from SS. As noted in prior post above, I had applied for restricted spousal benefits and had paid my quarterly Medicare B premium a few weeks ago. So it appears to be a refund of two months worth of Medicare B premiums.
For the past five or six days when I log into the MySSA site, I see a tag saying that a decision has been made on my restricted application and that I should click on the "Decision" button to see it. Clicking on it revealed the following less than informative message.
A Decision Has Been Made On Your Benefit Application
Your claim for Spouse benefits has been processed. A notice has been sent to you with a detailed explanation of the decision.

If you disagree with the decision, you may request an appeal within 60 days of the date on the "Notice of Decision" you receive.
Today in the mail I received a letter from SSA letting me know that I am entitled to "monthly husband's benefits" starting in April.

Several bullets after "What we will pay"
  • Your first payment is for $271.00.

This is the money you are due through March 2019.

Your next scheduled payment of $XXX.XX, which is for April 2019, will be received on or about the WWW Wednesday of May 2019.

After the first payment, you will receive $XXX.XX on or about the WWW Wednesday of each month.
The XXX.XX amounts are $136 less than what I had anticipated as my SSA spousal benefit. I find it curious that they did not note the actual benefit but just a combined benefit SSA less Medicare B without noting that it as such.

The letter goes on to acknowledge that I have been entitled to medicare coverage for some time and that they will be taking out $135.50 beginning in the May check, one month in advance! I guess that means they are taking the May payment out of the April SSA payment made in May. Pretty convoluted to say that it is being taken in advance, but then if that's how it is done.

The letter also mentions I will be getting a new Medicare card. I know that in the past I would get one based on my spouse's SS number. I already received two Medicare cards last year, with the last one being an apparent random number. Interesting that they will, I supposedly generate another random number Medicare card perhaps generated with a seed number of my spouse.

Ron

Post by Ron » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:00 pm

drawpoker wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:49 pm
Leroy Jones wrote:

I turned 70 in January of last year (2018) and had been in a suspend status since I turned FRA for the benefit of my wife who was receiving spousal benefits on a restricted application.

I did nothing, and my first check was deposited (with the 48 months Delayed Retirement Credits applied) in February.

My wife on the other hand, had to file to receive her age 70 benefits a few months before her age 70 birth date, since she had been collecting on my record for the previous four years.

Her's went off without a hitch (filed on-line) and was pleasantly surprised that her payment date remained on the 2nd Wednesday (based upon my birth date) rather than the 4th Wednesday, which would have been her normal date if she had not been collecting a spousal benefit. The first deposit based upon her record also contained the 48 months of DRC's. She did get a call from SSA concerning collecting the six months of backdated benefits but she knew that her benefits would have been reduced for her lifetime so she simply refused the offer.

- Ron

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:38 pm

Carl53 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:13 pm
This morning I logged into my checking account and saw a deposit of $271 in my name from SS. As noted in prior post above, I had applied for restricted spousal benefits and had paid my quarterly Medicare B premium a few weeks ago. So it appears to be a refund of two months worth of Medicare B premiums.
For the past five or six days when I log into the MySSA site, I see a tag saying that a decision has been made on my restricted application and that I should click on the "Decision" button to see it. Clicking on it revealed the following less than informative message.
A Decision Has Been Made On Your Benefit Application
Your claim for Spouse benefits has been processed. A notice has been sent to you with a detailed explanation of the decision.

If you disagree with the decision, you may request an appeal within 60 days of the date on the "Notice of Decision" you receive.
Today in the mail I received a letter from SSA letting me know that I am entitled to "monthly husband's benefits" starting in April.

Several bullets after "What we will pay"
  • Your first payment is for $271.00.

This is the money you are due through March 2019.

Your next scheduled payment of $XXX.XX, which is for April 2019, will be received on or about the WWW Wednesday of May 2019.

After the first payment, you will receive $XXX.XX on or about the WWW Wednesday of each month.
The XXX.XX amounts are $136 less than what I had anticipated as my SSA spousal benefit. I find it curious that they did not note the actual benefit but just a combined benefit SSA less Medicare B without noting that it as such.

The letter goes on to acknowledge that I have been entitled to medicare coverage for some time and that they will be taking out $135.50 beginning in the May check, one month in advance! I guess that means they are taking the May payment out of the April SSA payment made in May. Pretty convoluted to say that it is being taken in advance, but then if that's how it is done.

The letter also mentions I will be getting a new Medicare card. I know that in the past I would get one based on my spouse's SS number. I already received two Medicare cards last year, with the last one being an apparent random number. Interesting that they will, I supposedly generate another random number Medicare card perhaps generated with a seed number of my spouse.
Got two more HHS/SSA correspondence this week. One alerting me to the fact I was approaching FRA and that I might want to consider filing for benefits and a second containing a new Medicare card that is identical to the card I received last year. Apparently they are no longer tying it to your spouse's SS number if you already have one of the new numbers. Hopefully they get there act together on the amount of correspondence they put out. Three of the items were totally unnecessary if they had crosschecked to see what I had already had in my possession or applied for.

Topic Author
Leroy Jones

Post by Leroy Jones » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:43 am

I received my new Medicare card and surprisingly it had the same number as my old card. I wonder why they go through all the effort. In the letter stating what I would receive they also didn't say that it was after Medicare. Running the numbers it was obvious what they had done. Should receive my first deposit on April 17. It also stated that I would have to apply for my benefit at 70 in order to receive it.
Thanks