Social Security reply

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Leroy Jones

Social Security reply

Post by Leroy Jones » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:56 am

I applied for spousal SS electronically on January 9th. My wife applied the same day for her FRA benefits plus two months. We are anticipating our first check in April. I'm wondering how long it should take to hear back from SS. I checked my online account and it says processing. It's said that since January 17 when they acknowledged receiving my online application. Just wondering what the Communities experience has been.
Thank you
Leroy Jones :sharebeer

Jimmie

Re: Social Security reply

Post by Jimmie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:47 am

You do know there was a government shutdown at the time you applied, right?

Any delays from that would be atypical for anyone else who applied at a different time.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:18 am

Jimmie wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:47 am
You do know there was a government shutdown at the time you applied, right?
I forget whether local SS offices were closed during the partial shutdown.
Were they?
Attempted new signature...

vtMaps

Post by vtMaps » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:32 am

Data point:
My wife applied in early December for restricted spousal benefits to start in March (first benefit check in April). She got an email a week later asking her to call SS office. She had the conversation with the SS agent on Dec 26th, which was during the shutdown.

As of Feb 8, my wife's application is still listed as processing.

--vtMaps
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true. --James Branch Cabell

Topic Author
Leroy Jones

Post by Leroy Jones » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:29 am

Jimmie, SS Offices were open and SS was not impacted by the shutdown. I went to the local SS Office on January 2, 2019 and gave them my required paperwork. Just wondering what others have experienced. My first check would be April but I would start my SS as of March.
Thanks
Leroy Jones :sharebeer

MtnBiker

Post by MtnBiker » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:06 pm

I applied in person in October for my retirement benefit and my wife's spousal benefit. It took over a month to receive an initial determination for myself and about 2 months for my wife. They are busy and backlogged. If your benefits start before they make a decision, then you are made whole with a lump sum payment.