TaxAct: Online vs. Download Versions

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
DarkHelmetII

TaxAct: Online vs. Download Versions

Post by DarkHelmetII » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:27 am

Hello - a few questions about TaxAct's online vs. download versions:

1) Pricing seems different with the "download" version being higher ... is this correct or am I missing something?
2) Is a difference in pricing between online and download versions typical among other products (e.g. TurboTax)?
3) What is the advantage of each? Seems advantage of "download" is that you can save different "versions" as a distinct file on your computer, while online there is online one "version" at any given time. However with online presumably you get immediate / automatic updates.

Any input appreciated!

bloom2708

Re: TaxAct: Online vs. Download Versions

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:10 pm

I switched to the Online version for taxact whenever it became an option. Nothing to install. No risk of your computer hard drive having issues.

The online version can be accessed from any computer. They use two factor authentication with each login. With the cloud version, you immediately link to the previous years return and pull/copy all the information.

Been at least 5-6 years with online. I'll probably end up paying $30 for fed and state. Pricing options seem to be all over the place. I could probably pay a bit less, but the consistency and ease of use has me staying with taxact.
“People don’t want advice, they want confirmation.” Unknown