Looking for property management freeware/open source non web software suggestion

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
lepa71

Looking for property management freeware/open source non web software suggestion

Post by lepa71 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:02 pm

Hi all

I currently have 3 property. I currently use AceMomoney to track rent and expenses payments.
I was wondering if somebody uses different software. I was looking at GnuCash but I think it is too much for my needs.

Any suggestions would be appreciated?

Thanks

Topic Author
lepa71

Re: Looking for property management freeware/open source non web software suggestion

Post by lepa71 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:40 pm

Does nobody have any suggestions?

fortfun

Re: Looking for property management freeware/open source non web software suggestion

Post by fortfun » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:51 pm

lepa71 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:02 pm
Hi all

I currently have 3 property. I currently use AceMomoney to track rent and expenses payments.
I was wondering if somebody uses different software. I was looking at GnuCash but I think it is too much for my needs.

Any suggestions would be appreciated?

Thanks
I'd probably just use Excel or Google Sheets. The formulas for subtotals and grand totals are pretty simple. A pivot table could be created to show all category subtotals.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:52 pm

Get your self a pre 2014 copy of Quicken and use that. Don't use any web connections.

Stormbringer

Post by Stormbringer » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:00 am

I'm not aware of anything free or open source, but if it is just a few rentals you could probably get a copy of Quicken Home & Business. You could probably find an older version on eBay and save money.
"Compound interest is the most powerful force in the universe." - Albert Einstein

randombits

Post by randombits » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:33 am

Even though it might be somewhat complex, you could try gnucash. I use that for most of my expense management, and pretty much as a ledger for personal and business (though I do have some slight modifications to it to perform other things). Once you get used to it, it can be pretty powerful. Same with ledgercli (assuming you like messing with terminal/command line interface). You could also try moneydance but keep in mind manual entries are limited unless you pay for the complete version. If you prefer a more pro and advance management system, you could do like Saving$ suggested and get a copy of quicken pre 2014 and use that.

Mcjamp2122

Post by Mcjamp2122 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:42 am

I use Landlord Studio. Although it is not free after a trial month., it does exactly what I wanted to easily track rent payments on my phone. I tried QB for a few months. Nightmare.

Topic Author
lepa71

Post by lepa71 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:43 am

randombits wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:33 am
Even though it might be somewhat complex, you could try gnucash. I use that for most of my expense management, and pretty much as a ledger for personal and business (though I do have some slight modifications to it to perform other things). Once you get used to it, it can be pretty powerful. Same with ledgercli (assuming you like messing with terminal/command line interface). You could also try moneydance but keep in mind manual entries are limited unless you pay for the complete version. If you prefer a more pro and advance management system, you could do like Saving$ suggested and get a copy of quicken pre 2014 and use that.
I use Acemoney free version. It is very similar to Moneydance. Those are more budgeting and records keeping software and it works. I'm trying to look at Gnucash and I like software but it is not easy for real estate. As I understand in Gnucash, everything needs to have an invoice, job, person. Am I right? This is how double entry ledgers work.