Recent SS Restricted Spousal Applicants - Did you get new Medicare Card?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Carl53

Recent SS Restricted Spousal Applicants - Did you get new Medicare Card?

Post by Carl53 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:18 pm

In the past, BHs have reported that they would get a new medicare card based upon their spouse's SS number if they applied for SS but restricted it to spousal benefits. This only applies to those born before 1/2/1954. The last year or so SS has been issuing every Medicare recipient new cards with new numbers not based on their SS numbers. Since I and my spouse intend to soon file for benefits with myself filing a restricted application for spousal benefits, I was wondering whether those that had done so recently were still getting another different Medicare card/number different than the one SS just issued.

Topic Author
Carl53

Re: Recent SS Restricted Spousal Applicants - Did you get new Medicare Card?

Post by Carl53 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:18 pm

Bump to see if anyone might have missed this that has recently filed.

GS

Post by GS » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:42 pm

My wife filed 2 months ago for a restricted application for spousal benefits and received another Medicare card with the new numbering system. It looked identical to the the card she received with the new numbering system in 2018 to replace the old style card. I checked closely.

saddle_tramp

Post by saddle_tramp » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:13 pm

Carl53 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:18 pm
In the past, BHs have reported that they would get a new medicare card based upon their spouse's SS number if they applied for SS but restricted it to spousal benefits. This only applies to those born before 1/2/1954. The last year or so SS has been issuing every Medicare recipient new cards with new numbers not based on their SS numbers. Since I and my spouse intend to soon file for benefits with myself filing a restricted application for spousal benefits, I was wondering whether those that had done so recently were still getting another different Medicare card/number different than the one SS just issued.
In 2016 I filed for Part A when I turned 65 as required (I was still working at this time and had medical coverage for me and the Mrs through employer). I received a Medicare card with my number. In 2017 a few months after I reached full retirement age I filed a restricted application for spousal benefits. Much to my surprise I received a new Medicare card with DW's SSN with a B1 after it. This was different than the Medicare card no. I received when I initially filed for Part A at 65. Due to qualifying illness DW had been on SSDI since 2010.
All went well so I thought nothing of getting a second Medicare card. Then last October I received a letter from the SSA saying I should have received $0.00 for January through September 2018 and I owed them $3,492 for overpayment of those months and I'm going huh????
I called my local SSA office and they looked at my record and said they didn't see any problem and asked me if I received a second Medicare card with a B1. I said yep. I had to file a 'Request for Reconsideration' form which I did and is still pending I suppose since I haven't heard anything since other than when DW passed last November they sent me another letter saying they were keeping the $255 death benefit as a payment toward the 'overpayment'. So I am not sure what the final resolution will be but for me the second Medicare card created a PITA situation. :annoyed
I received new Medicare cards for us both in December with the new unique number/letter assignment.

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:27 pm

Based on my experience, that change is standard procedure.

I am a year older than me wife. When I retired at 66, we both went on Medicare. She did not file for SS that year and her Medicare number was based on her SS Nbr. A year later when she filed for spousal SS, she was issued a new Medicare number based on my SS Nbr but with a different letter suffix.

Then the new random Medicare Cards came out.