How many hours do you work and what do you outsource

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Hillview

How many hours do you work and what do you outsource

Post by Hillview » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:07 pm

I am in a senior leadership role. I currently work in the office from 7-5 or 6 and then work another hour or 2 at home. I am exhausted (I also have 2 kids and a husband and stuff around the house to do). I wonder how many hours you all work. Also wondering what you outsource. I have a babysitter for my youngest after school and a housekeeper who comes once a week. While I want to avoid lifestyle creep I also need more time. Right now things that I could use more help with are meals and laundry.

delamer

Re: How many hours do you work and what do you outsource

Post by delamer » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:16 pm

I found housecleaning every other week was sufficient. Some housekeepers will do laundry.

In our area, there are a couple options for groceries — delivery or pre-order with pick up at the store (from lockers out front).

If you have an Omaha Steaks nearby, they have several good quality prepared foods that can be heated in just a few minutes. They aren’t cheap, but not too bad with coupons.

shorty313

Post by shorty313 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:23 pm

Right now 35 hours/week. I added a biweekly housecleaner when I had my first child, working 40 hours. When I had my second I went to part time, which can be anywhere between 32-38 hours a week. I try to average 35. That allows me to get dinner on the table at a reasonable hour and do some kid shuttling after school.

Up until this year I had an after school sitter for 2 hours a day. Now that my older is in middle school, she can watch the younger until I get home.

Dry cleaning picks up at work. Still getting biweekly house cleaning (wish I could do weekly!). Occasionally I’ll get grocery delivery, maybe 3-4 times a year. We don’t source out anything else. It’s a very good balance...gives me time to do errands and appointments during the week to keep weekends free. Also I get to do school stuff for kids. If husband didn’t balk I’d go to 32 average!

Husband works 40 hours normally, with about a month each year of 50+ hours.

I’m not surprised you are exhausted! Will your housecleaner do laundry? Ours does for our elderly father in law. Precooked meals would also be helpful. Also our house cleaner changes our bedsheets so that’s another chore off my plate. Depending on kids age they can do laundry too...my 11 year old does entirely (I have to remind her) and my 9 yo can fold and put away after I wash.
Last edited by shorty313 on Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:25 pm

I come to work at 9:30 and I leave at 6:30. Plus minus. I have a lunch with friends every day and sometimes go to the gym. I have a kid. Unfortunately I have to commute 45min-1h each way.
My wife works more than me.
We don't outsource cleaning or cooking mostly for health and example to the kid reasons. We we use an after-school program in his school. He has to play and have friends.

Thecallofduty

Post by Thecallofduty » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:29 pm

Step 1: do you have financial priorities in order, i.e saving adequately for retirement, emergency fund, auto investing, no carry over credit card balances, etc.

If yes then I see no reason not to make your extra spending money work for you.

Some ideas:

Deliver your groceries. It is well worth the money for those that are busy. Yes it is much cheaper to shop at walmart and you will save money long term but spending an extra 1-2 hours at home with children vs going out can be well worth it.

Deliver food 2-3 times during the week.

Laundry. Good luck! We have a few kids and its non stop. You can try the suggestion of house cleaning service and Maybe they can help do couple loads.
-thecallofduty

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:37 pm

Senior leadership role as well. I'm at the office at 7am and head home about 4pm. I usually work about an hour each night at home and a few hours on weekends. I do work from home on Wednesdays - I actually have a lot of autonomy to work remotely - so I can spend some time with my 3yr old son. I also travel pretty frequently, about 45-50 days total a year. My wife also has a full-time career, works 7am-3pm each day but virtually never works at home. She does travel a little, 15-20 days a year. Magically, only once have we had to travel at the same time, and my in-laws happened to be living with us at the time so we had an easy solution. Wife is also a full-time student (and has yet to get a "B" with 3 semester left to finish her degree). Two kids, 6 and 3; older daughter is in gymnastics and son is wrestling. Yep, we're insanely busy by most standards, but it is just life for us and we don't regularly feel overwhelmed (though it does happen). We outsource absolutely nothing. We have a system for everything; we've got cooking, laundry, grocery shopping, etc. down to a science. Honestly, I'm a control freak and have exacting standards, I would have a really difficult time trusting someone else to clean my house, cook, do my yard work or laundry even if it was at no cost.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:47 pm

Laundry should be easy. I don't know you, but I have seen that perfectionists waste a lot of time on laundry.

Our laundry room is off the hallway between the kitchen and the dining room. We throw clothes on the floor of the laundry room or in the washer. Then when we feel like it, we run the washer which takes a minute to turn on. 1 minute. When it finishes, we know it, so we put the clothes in the dryer and turn it on. The dried clothes stay in the dryer until someone needs clothes or notices them. The clothes get tossed in the dining room on the carpeted floor or on the dining room table. (We eat at our kitchen table and only once a year in the dining room.) There is no ironing ever and no one cares about wrinkles because all the clothes are underwear or under sweaters or permanent press.

Note what I didn't write: There is no folding of clothes. There is no putting dirty clothes in a hamper. Clothes are not kept in a dresser or a closet.

Our maids will tidy up the dining room when they come. They also change the bed linens and put the dirty ones on the floor of the laundry room.

In our family, everybody does laundry if they want any clean clothes to wear. Laundry is easy and takes really no time at all because it only involves turning on a machine or throwing clothes down the hallway. Even if we did 3 loads of laundry every day, it would take 5 minutes of actual time because we are doing other things when the machines are running.
Last edited by livesoft on Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:49 pm

I work 36 hrs seeing pt and i spend another 10 hrs doing notes

6Pack

Post by 6Pack » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:49 pm

I work from 6:00AM to 4:30PM Tuesday through Friday and my side hustle after that and on Mondays. Three young kids and my spouse stays home.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:50 pm

I work 10-20 hours a week and outsource home cleaning, mowing the lawn, baby sitting and we eat out a bunch. We also do quick simple go to meals - tuna melts, pasta with meat sauce, etc. For laundry, we get the kids involved some which makes it more fun.

I wouldn't be too concerned about lifestyle creep if your finances are in order. Time and happiness are much more important.

bgf

Post by bgf » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:53 pm

wife works like 7:30 - 3:45. i work 8 - 5 or 5:30. i drop daughter off at daycare and wife picks up. we cook dinner every night and do our own cleaning. i do our yard and pool maintenance. neither of us travels for work. we don't really outsource anything. blue apron sometimes for dinner, but we go to the grocery every weekend anyway.

i like our balance. things are good.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:56 pm

I think this question needs to be answered in the context of the cost and quality of outsourcing on the one hand, balanced with the value of the free time or the extra income generated as a result.

We work hard and have high household income as well as financial independence, so we employ a full time housekeeper/cook/personal assistant to take care of many of life's details. We also have landscape and snow plowing services. Having an assistant allows for freshly prepared, healthy meals and frees up time for both high yield work, for exercise, and for other enjoyable activities. But we also enjoy cooking, gardening, and sometimes doing other household projects.

If we did not have sufficient funds for this type of assistance, we would need to spend more time taking care of many things, and we would have significantly less time for both productive work and leisure activities.

pdavi21

Post by pdavi21 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:04 pm

40 flat. Employer makes the difference, not job title. My boss also does 40 flat.

My wife does everything with kids/house. I quit my previous harder job (same title, 60-80 per week, much higher pay) to help her out more with babies.
"We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity." -Stephen Hawking

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:28 pm

livesoft wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:47 pm
Laundry should be easy. I don't know you, but I have seen that perfectionists waste a lot of time on laundry.

Our laundry room is off the hallway between the kitchen and the dining room. We throw clothes on the floor of the laundry room or in the washer. Then when we feel like it, we run the washer which takes a minute to turn on. 1 minute. When it finishes, we know it, so we put the clothes in the dryer and turn it on. The dried clothes stay in the dryer until someone needs clothes or notices them. The clothes get tossed in the dining room on the carpeted floor or on the dining room table. (We eat at our kitchen table and only once a year in the dining room.) There is no ironing ever and no one cares about wrinkles because all the clothes are underwear or under sweaters or permanent press.

Note what I didn't write: There is no folding of clothes. There is no putting dirty clothes in a hamper. Clothes are not kept in a dresser or a closet.

Our maids will tidy up the dining room when they come. They also change the bed linens and put the dirty ones on the floor of the laundry room.

In our family, everybody does laundry if they want any clean clothes to wear. Laundry is easy and takes really no time at all because it only involves turning on a machine or throwing clothes down the hallway. Even if we did 3 loads of laundry every day, it would take 5 minutes of actual time because we are doing other things when the machines are running.
Who folds the clothes?
Also, where do you eat if the dining room is working as a family closet? Or is this the formal dining room?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:39 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:28 pm
Who folds the clothes?
Also, where do you eat if the dining room is working as a family closet? Or is this the formal dining room?
My post said the clothes are not folded, but occasionally the maids will fold the clothes. One doesn't need to fold underwear, socks, bed linens, towesl or really anything. Shirts can be draped over the chairs in the dining room.

As for where we eat: Re-read my post where I stated where we eat. This is the formal dining room.

One more thing: Socks. I have only black gold-toe socks. They all match, so I never have to match up socks. I can pull any two clean black socks off the rug of the dining room and put them on.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:56 pm

livesoft wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:39 pm
unclescrooge wrote:
Who folds the clothes?
My post said the clothes are not folded, but occasionally the maids will fold the clothes. One doesn't need to fold underwear, socks, bed linens, towesl or really anything. Shirts can be draped over the chairs in the dining room.

As for where we eat: Re-read my post where I stated where we eat. This is the formal dining room.

One more thing: Socks. I have only black gold-toe socks. They all match, so I never have to match up socks. I can pull any two clean black socks off the rug of the dining room and put them on.
Oh I missed that.

Yeah, formal living rooms are the most bizarre architectural choice ever.

I wouldn't be surprised if 99% of formal dining rooms get used once every 5 years for eating.

When we were remodeling we got rid of it.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:58 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:56 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if 99% of formal dining rooms get used once every 5 years for eating.

Where do you hold family game night then? Certainly NOT in the family game room!

Our formal living room has been turned into a combo gym and music room with a piano, weight bench and more.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:02 pm

livesoft wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:58 pm
unclescrooge wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:56 pm

Where do you hold family game night then? Certainly NOT in the family game room!
LOL.

Our living room/dining room/kitchen is 988 sq ft. Big enough for family anything night.

runner540

Post by runner540 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:12 pm

Leemiller

Post by Leemiller » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:15 pm

I’m new in senior leadership role, I work from 9:30 - 7/8...sometimes from home. And the work is pretty mentally taxing. My husband is more 40 hours a week. We have a full time nanny and a bi-weekly housekeeper. We also outsource lawn care. I’m considering someone to cook but since we hope to put our youngest in daycare in the next 6 months or so, we might just look for partime flexible help. But I live in a neighborhood with full time nanny’s and stay at home parents in the same household.

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:25 pm

I average around 15-20 hours of actual work per week. I work from home (and hotels). My current fixed, bare minimum production schedule is about 8 hours per week. I’m self-employed and single.

I outsource business tasks and property management on my rental properties, but I don’t think that’s what you meant.

Around the house, I handle laundry exactly the way livesoft does — dirty clothes go in the washer, clean clothes sit in the dryer. In the kitchen, my life is one pot, one plate, one fork, one spoon, one knife, one cup, so dishes simply swap sides of the sink, basically. I vacuum once every few months, and bathrooms get cleaned once a year — when I turn the house over to property manager for conversion to rental.

I have no furniture other than a desk, office chair, and bed, and there isn’t a single thing on any wall. So, no furniture, frames, or shelves to dust. In my current house, only 3 of 11 rooms are used in any way or have anything in them.

I live a simple, boring, lazy life (by US standards). I’ve come to accept it with cheer, because it sure beats my prior life of living in a car.
“Life doesn’t come with a warranty.” -Michael LeBoeuf

getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:45 pm

Spouse and I both work full-time, but he works from home, and I have a very flexible schedule. Typical days around here run from about 6am-4pm, with plenty of evening time/weekends for hanging with the kids and chores.

Right now we outsource nothing. I've considered a house cleaner, but with two young kids I feel like I'd just wind up cleaning up toys in preparation for the house cleaner's arrival. If we worked more traditional schedules with long commutes, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:29 am

We place a premium on time in our house. I'm a teacher and, after quite a few years teaching the same curriculum, have found ways to run things fairly efficiently. I work 8-3 Monday-Friday and usually put in a couple more hours over the weekend. I have about half the days of the year off. My wife stays at home with our four-year-old. I really enjoy my job and look forward to going to work (at least most of the time). I also really enjoy the time off, though. We have a house cleaner, robot vacuum cleaner, and no yard to maintain in order to create more time in our lives.

This is an interesting thread to me; I find myself often looking for ways to reduce the amount of time it takes to do mundane things. This is a gem:
livesoft wrote:
What a great idea! I've been matching socks like a fool for way too long. I think I might modify it a little bit and dump all the socks together in a drawer but, still, this should totally save time over having to partner up every individual sock.

ny_knicks

Post by ny_knicks » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:37 am

Work in Finance - average day is 9 AM to 1 AM Monday - Friday and 9-6 Saturday / Sunday. It ebbs and flows though some days I get out early at 9 or 10 and some days it’s all nighters.

I outsource everything - my girlfriend helps a lot but use wash/fold laundry service, eat out every meal (work pays for a lot of them), take cabs everywhere (work pays for a lot), have dog walker, cleaning lady comes once a week lol

Any free time outside work will not be spent working...

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:56 am

Senior manager here. I work anywhere from 38-42 hours a week. Very flexible working arrangement as I oversea a service area that is away from the HQ (aka boss's office). If I go into the office, I'll drop off my kids at 8am and arrive at 8:40am. I leave anytime between 3-5pm depending how busy I am or if I have meetings. I'll work from home 1-2 times a week. I do often find myself doing some work in the evenings.

DW stays at home but has the green light to get dinner via one of the delivery apps. House cleaners and gardeners come bi weekly. Kids go to sports practice and after school care twice a week. Cost are minimal.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

davebeers

Post by davebeers » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:55 am

Average 60hrs week working nights in health care. Wife stays home with the kids. Outsource as little as possible but that is only possible due to my wife assuming duties such as laundry, cleaning, and most other household chores. She also mow's the lawn. I take care of most of the outside and assist her as much as I can. I've become used to(not comfortable with) getting 5-6 hrs of sleep instead of the 8hr I prefer for the sake of getting stuff done and spending time with them.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:19 am

livesoft wrote:
unclescrooge wrote:
Who folds the clothes?
So you just throw throw them in a bunch?
Who is ironing?
I do the same, but i don't keep them on the rug.

One thing I would never pay for is gardeners.
I mow the lawn maybe 3-5 times a year, trim the trees and bushes twice. If I don't feel like it what's gonna happen? OMGOMG it's gonna look like... nature! Can't have that, can we?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:00 am

Here's something else. You already know this from work: Touch a piece of paper only once. That is, at work you don't open the mail, then put things in piles to come back to them. You don't read e-mail and say you are going to respond later. You just act. The paper goes in the shredder or gets filed as needed never to be looked at again.

Do the same at home. In particular when cooking: Don't leave all the spice bottles on the counter. Don't leave ingredients sitting out to be put away after dinner. Instead, use what you need and put the jar/bottle/box back in the pantry or fridge without even taking your hand off of it. Example: Pour the milk and put the milk jug back in the fridge without ever setting the jug down on the counter. Example: scoop the oatmeal out of its carton and put the carton back in the pantry. Get the blueberries out of the fridge, shake them into your oatmeal bowl and put the remaining one's back in the fridge without ever setting them on the counter top. Cut the cheese you need and put the rest immediately back in the fridge and don't let it sit out. When you pop open a bottle of beer, throw the cap away while it is still in your hand and don't toss it on the counter.

And for folks who are perceptive and paying attention: If you are not touching your laundry once to throw it on the rug in the dining room, then you should only touch clothes once to carry them immediately from the dryer to the dresser drawer or closet where you store them.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:17 am

Hillview wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:07 pm
I am in a senior leadership role. I currently work in the office from 7-5 or 6 and then work another hour or 2 at home. I am exhausted (I also have 2 kids and a husband and stuff around the house to do). I wonder how many hours you all work. Also wondering what you outsource. I have a babysitter for my youngest after school and a housekeeper who comes once a week. While I want to avoid lifestyle creep I also need more time. Right now things that I could use more help with are meals and laundry.
Dual Income Household in Education (she in public schools, he in college teaching + a part-time side gig outside of education)

During the work season
- or known as the academic school year for us which runs from the end of August to the end of May (up at 5:30 AM, in bed by 10:30 PM)

She: 7:15 AM - 5:15 PM M-F + an hour or two in the evening + 2-3 hours on both Sat & Sun (averages 50-61 hours per week)

He: 9:10 AM - 9:30 PM T/W/Th + 6-8 hours on M/F + 4-8 hours on both Sat & Sun (averages 53-65 hours per week)

During the 115 days off - or known as the off season to us and includes the December/January 3 Week Holiday Break, the 10 day Spring Break, and the June to end of August Summer Break...

She/He: We practice "mini-retirement" with lots of bike riding, reading, cooking, socializing, travel, sleep, gardening, home repair/maintenance, and whatever comes along. *Will include 22-28 hours per week for He with the new side gig.

:mrgreen: :sharebeer :mrgreen:

We outsource nothing as we do all housework, cooking, yard work, snow removal, laundry, handyman work ourselves. Empty nesters now, but we didn't outsource during child rearing years either.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

Cuzz35

Post by Cuzz35 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:28 am

I usually work 40 hours a week. About 10 week a year its double around 80 hours a week. Also things come up and frequently do 50+.

My wife stays at home with our three kids (ages 7, 2 and 8 months). So in a sense I outsouce a lot. She cooks for me, she'll do my laundry when I can't keep up during the busy weeks. She get what I need at the grocery store.

Yard work is my responsibility and I just started outsourcing that last year. Was taking 3 hours 1-2 times a week in the spring, summer and fall and after being at work all week, I hated taking so much time away from my wife and kids doing it. I also try to work out every day so stacking that on top of 3 hours of yard work was not fair to anyone else.

My wife will do grocery delivery when kids are sick and when I am in the office for longer hours. She doesn't like taking the younger ones to the store as it just makes it take longer. We take advantage of grocery pickup once a week though. I just drive up at a schedule time and they load the car up. Use target to deliver things like diapers and baby wipes.

We do house cleaning every other week mainly to help out with the "deep" cleaning stuff.

That is about it. I don't know what else we would outsource unless my wife were to work which to me would mean we would need to outsource raising our kids.

oh, I've heard there is a growing thing where you can drop off your laundry at someone else's house and they will do it for you and you just pick up. Or they might even come get it from your place. Might be worth looking in to.

FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:33 am

I work 35-40 hours per week. DW works more like 45, usually about one day from home. Two preschool kids.

We have a cleaner come every other week.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:51 am

40hrs/WK. Individual contributor (engineer).

I don't need to outsource anything since we have a small apartment that Marie kondo would approve of and is easy to clean. We have a small lot that is easy to mow with a reel mower / clear snow with a shovel (15-20 minutes). Also, fitness is very important and this stuff is free exercise.

I exercise 50 minutes a day by bike commute, so I don't waste much time in the gym (2 hrs per week, weight stuff). I'm contemplating just swinging some kettlebells on my way out the door to reclaim that 2hr gym time.

I currently take an express bus out to the suburbs, but am currently applying for 2 jobs I can bike directly to.

My wife takes her car to the shop to have all the work done. I could do it myself easily, but I don't want to encourage personal car ownership.

In a few months we will be sending our child to daycare, which is technically outsourcing.

DW works significantly more than me, has to work in the evening from home. her work is just very inefficient with her whole day full of meetings, so her only time to get real work done is at night
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

onourway

Post by onourway » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:07 am

8:00-4:30 pm for me.
9:00-5:00 for my wife.
We both travel, me 20-40 days/year, her 10-20 days.
I pick up kids on the way home and do dinner most nights.

We've had house cleaners in the past, currently they are cut out for other priorities. I outsource all major home repairs, and an increasing amount of auto repairs which I previously did myself. We have a regular gardener in season that is worth every penny because they do so much in relatively little time.

Kids go to after-school programs until we pick them up.
When they were younger we had a full-time nanny which was a huge help because she did a lot of cleaning/laundry/cooking as well. If we weren't paying for private school and childcare I'd have help with all that stuff again in a heartbeat.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:31 am

DS and I work about 40 each.

- We currently outsource daycare, after school, and summer care. ($14k/year.)
- We tried a cleaning service, but couldn't find one that did a good enough job to justify the money, and gave up.
- Wash and fold laundry services are a very good value, but laundry is easy to diy if you keep up.
- We use online grocery shopping when we need it, but it's hard to get past the 20% premium they typically charge to use it for every trip.

finfire

Post by finfire » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:36 am

I work from home 7:30-4:30. Wife works 8-6. 2 kids.

Outsource nothing (mostly). Found the grocery delivery was more work than going there. I dump the laundry in washer/dryer during the day.

I replaced the biweekly cleaner with an irobot and instituted a no-shoes policy in the house. Once the floors are clean, the house for the most part stays much cleaner. We share bathroom cleaning chores every so often.

I did outsource house renovations. Paying those guys was much cheaper than doing it myself.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:27 am

livesoft wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:00 am
Here's something else. You already know this from work: Touch a piece of paper only once. That is, at work you don't open the mail, then put things in piles to come back to them. You don't read e-mail and say you are going to respond later. You just act. The paper goes in the shredder or gets filed as needed never to be looked at again.

Do the same at home. In particular when cooking: Don't leave all the spice bottles on the counter. Don't leave ingredients sitting out to be put away after dinner. Instead, use what you need and put the jar/bottle/box back in the pantry or fridge without even taking your hand off of it. Example: Pour the milk and put the milk jug back in the fridge without ever setting the jug down on the counter. Example: scoop the oatmeal out of its carton and put the carton back in the pantry. Get the blueberries out of the fridge, shake them into your oatmeal bowl and put the remaining one's back in the fridge without ever setting them on the counter top. Cut the cheese you need and put the rest immediately back in the fridge and don't let it sit out. When you pop open a bottle of beer, throw the cap away while it is still in your hand and don't toss it on the counter.

And for folks who are perceptive and paying attention: If you are not touching your laundry once to throw it on the rug in the dining room, then you should only touch clothes once to carry them immediately from the dryer to the dresser drawer or closet where you store them.
Why is this so hard for most people to understand? You get something out, you immediately put it away when you are done. You make a mess, it is cleaned up right then and there. It is that simple. It takes us almost no time to clean our home because it is never messed up. Actually, I spend 5-10min each morning going around the house picking up the clothes, toys, dishes, etc. that my wife and kids left out the day before and we do a thorough cleaning every Saturday morning - maybe an hour - before the kids gets breakfast.

Ollie123

Post by Ollie123 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:58 am

DINK (for now). Academic working ~50 hours/week on average, though that number can be quite variable. Wife is a data analyst working <officially> full-time, but is pretty efficient and probably putting in < 35 hours in a typical week. I do actually find <hours> can be quite difficult to calculate in many professional jobs, especially with flexible schedules. Some days I go in late so I can squeeze in a morning run. Other days I'm in the office until 8PM because I'm working on something I'm super-excited about and want to get done. Yet that same day, I might spend 30 minutes on internet forums...is that "working" since I'm physically at the office? What about work dinners? I'm on the clock, but its (usually) fun. If I count the hours I spend at home writing as "work" should I count the hours I spend in the office on the phone with the doctor's office, utility company, etc. as "not working"?

Anyways, somewhat of an aside but I think many folks (myself include) tend to overestimate the amount of time we <actually> spend working. Despite not having kids, we outsource a fair amount. We have biweekly house cleaners. We completely outsource any/all lawn care besides planting flowers/landscaping my wife does for fun. We do not outsource laundry, but I'd consider outsourcing ironing if I could find an easy way. We do most of our own cooking aside from dinners out with friends. This is 20% frugality, 40% health and 40% the fact that I genuinely enjoy cooking.

How much that "creep" matters depends on your income level, expenses and goals. We're meeting our savings goals (27% of gross income last year not counting our generous employer matches of ~ 10%), targeting the same this year which we should easily hit. Would likely be higher except we're cash-flowing some extremely large one-time expenditures. Honestly, outsourcing cleaning/yardwork was probably one of the best decisions we made. Sure, the extra money would be nice but it works out to just a hair over 2% of our gross income we spend on these things and it made our weekends infinitely more enjoyable. If we earned less than we do (we make ~200k gross so we are high-earners by normal standards but fairly middle-of-the-road as bogleheads go) or if we hated housework/yardwork less than we do, we would reconsider. However I think the notion of "buying" freedom from tasks you hate is one of the main advantages of a big income. Honestly, there are a LOT of things I would cut from our budget before I'd consider cutting the cleaners/gardeners.

BarbaricYawp

Post by BarbaricYawp » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:40 am

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:01 am
Why are you senior leaders working so much? Don’t you have teams of people to do the work? Your job should be to make decisions, not to do the work.
Not true. Unless you are in a VERY large organization most managers are also do-ers. Plus if you have a team, someone needs to set the strategic direction and constant 'rebalance' or tweak the strategies being set by the managers to ensure that everyone is headed in the same direction, responsive to changes set by the executive leadership team etc. It gets easier the longer your team works together, but it is almost never frictionless.

I'm 40-50 hours, plus occasional odd hours on weekend. 1 hour commute minimum each way. We used to have a housecleaner that came bi-weekly when the kids were small and I would highly recommend that to any sr. exec with small kids. It's invaluable if you have animals in addition to small children and much cheaper than hiring a lawyer to deal with the murder charges. :) Spouse has home-based business so can handle periodic repair calls, deliveries, and regular animal care. My kids learned early on to assist with chores like sorting, folding and putting away their own laundry, tidying their rooms and watering houseplants. Even a VERY small child can bring the trash cans down from the bathrooms to the garage and it makes them feel helpful. Periodically we all pile in to clean one level or the other of the house. We have a riding mower, so I typically do that (and actually enjoy it. More than vacuuming, anyway) and spouse does the weedwhacking. Weed pulling is a family affair. All my kids know how to cook, and generally enjoy it, so we take turns making things on Friday/Sat/Sun nights and there are typically enough leftovers to see us through most of the week. I do pay the kids when there is some chore that we don't consider 'regular', like painting baseboards or pressure washing the deck.

It's tough when the kids are small, but it gets easier. Put your own oxygen mask on first.
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." --Dorothy Parker

BarbaricYawp

Post by BarbaricYawp » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:43 am

livesoft wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:00 am
+100 on this. I went paperfree a few years ago and although it was in initially a pain, I have since discovered that it is WAY easier to keep things tidy and organized if my 'home workflow' minimizes the likelihood that paper accumulates. I swear it breeds in corners if you let it in the house.
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." --Dorothy Parker

xenochrony

Post by xenochrony » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:36 pm

I'm FT self-employed, wife is PT self-employed. I never work a minute over 40 hrs or ever bring work home with me (that is, work I perform for clients). That said, I do spend extra time (over the 40hr) at home running my business (invoicing, admin stuff, payroll, etc).

We outsource absolutely nothing. Unless you count going out to a restaurant once per week as outsourcing "cooking."

Currently in the 12% tax bracket with 2 kids in a VHCOL area so, our choices to in-source, come from necessity.

iasw

Post by iasw » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:01 pm

1. Peapod, Kroger Click-List, Walmart pick up... any sort of grocery delivery/pick up service will save a lot of time.

2. What is your husband contributing to at home, and is that working for you?

3. I realize your kids are very small, and them "helping" right now might be more time than it takes for you to do it yourself. However, setting those expectations sooner does go a long ways, and even 5-year-olds can be legitimately helpful.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:47 pm

After 20 years at my last company, and up to mid management level (director) I was at one point working 50+ hours a week (probably more if you count weekend email monitoring), international travel to Asia a couple times a year and catching flack for not delivering enough - I realized the stress just want worth it for what they where paying me. I guess I never made it to the secret "vp potential" list and seemed to top out.

So I lateraled back to individual contributor/technical work and later changed jobs to a private company with a much more rational workload that treats their employees far better. I now work an honest 40hr and go home, and never feel the slightest guilt.

My wife works 32 hrs a week with summers off (public school employee)

What do we outsource? Nothing. I find working a sane pace for less money and doing stuff myself far more fulfilling than killing myself at the office just so I can pay others to raise kids I never see. We probably make 6 figures less than most of you but make up most of the difference in all those services we dont use. And still net out as much or more free time.

Topic Author
Hillview

Post by Hillview » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:44 pm

thanks all for your replies. Yes I'd say our finances are in order. No debt (house is paid for), run a weekly budget, saving for retirement and college. My kids do their own laundry usually (my 13 year old does 100% my 11 year old is maybe 75% solo but getting better) honestly it is MY laundry that isn't getting done. I think dinner is my #1 issue as I'd like to eat all together and sometimes it is late before we can due to schedule and time. I do think some purging a la Maris Kondo would help us as there is a lot of clutter that makes me crazy. I do appreciate reading everyone's opinion and situation. Thank you

Post by 2015 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:00 pm

I read years ago never do any work that pays an hourly salary less than your own (this assumes you divert time saved to high value work, such as tasks devoted to progressing in career). If I were still working and still on the leadership track I would probably outsource everything. It's a personal deal I have with myself because there is much value in distinguishing between low value and high value work.

Even in retirement, I view laundry as low value work. Laundry, housecleaning, shopping, anything to do with meals (including eating itself) I consider to be low value work and so I have converted these tasks into habits, routines, and rituals (hat tip, Cal Newport) in order to minimize psychological/emotional energy spent on them. When I am engaging in these tasks my mental energy is diverted to some personal project related to my Wildly Important Idea (Cal Newport again) of making retirement the most financially, materially, psychologically, and emotionally rewarding time of life.

head gamez

Post by head gamez » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:14 pm

30-80 hours per week in a high level Program Management role. I work from home except for the 100+ nights a year that I am working out of state (or mostly) out of the country. She works 45+ hours per week as well. Son plays baseball for two teams, daughter plays softball, etc etc etc. We manage to handle everything ourselves (except for going to eat at parents houses occasionally etc). 2.5 acres of property that I mow myself. Laundry, cooking, etc that we do together (I love to cook). I service all of the cars (oil, brakes, tuenups, repairs etc), the pool, tractor, etc.

Just this week she took one of the cars to get the oil changed because she had a coupon that made it cheaper than me doing it. That was the first time in probably 5 years that someone has touched any of our aging cars but me.

My wife is a machine. Not sure how she managers when I am gone so much, but she does!

TheMadEph

Post by TheMadEph » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:31 pm

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:01 am
Why are you senior leaders working so much? Don’t you have teams of people to do the work? Your job should be to make decisions, not to do the work.
+1,
Exactly right: have the teams do it and teach them to escalate properly, but I know the struggle of being frustrated about seeing terrible work product come up and know that I can do it better in a shorter amount of time. But I am working on resisting that feeling - i just try to refocus my mind on the basic economics of trade and comparative advantage :)

TheNightsToCome

Post by TheNightsToCome » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:32 pm

I work about 55 hours per week at a rapid pace, and it's the best schedule that I've ever had. We outsource anything and everything that my wife doesn't want to do. (I'm the breadwinner.)

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:50 pm

2015 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:00 pm
I read years ago never do any work that pays an hourly salary less than your own (this assumes you divert time saved to high value work, such as tasks devoted to progressing in career). If I were still working and still on the leadership track I would probably outsource everything. It's a personal deal I have with myself because there is much value in distinguishing between low value and high value work.

Even in retirement, I view laundry as low value work. Laundry, housecleaning, shopping, anything to do with meals (including eating itself) I consider to be low value work and so I have converted these tasks into habits, routines, and rituals (hat tip, Cal Newport) in order to minimize psychological/emotional energy spent on them. When I am engaging in these tasks my mental energy is diverted to some personal project related to my Wildly Important Idea (Cal Newport again) of making retirement the most financially, materially, psychologically, and emotionally rewarding time of life.
I enjoy doing low valu jobs like clothes washing. Love it when I can pipeline laundry from sorting, washing, storing clothes and then do something else during free time in the cycles. If I time things right I can also be using the dishwasher.

Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:50 pm

Senior leadership position:
24/7 availability anywhere on the globe

Regular week: 7 am - 5 pm 4 days week physically in office ; then available as needed for senior level decision making decisions or meetings ; day 5 working from home office or airplane.

Non routine week 7am - 5pm physically in office then work as needed from home 24/7 for 7 days- can be from zero hours to 10 additional hours (I don’t bother adding up time) going through weekend.

10 weeks away per year (but still available as needed)

So to answer OP question how much do you work. All the time ( and I LOVE it) fortunate enough to have a team of colleagues that have same attitude and understanding that despite all of our motivation and dedication that in actuality we are looking out for each other to insure work life balance. There is no such thing as a administrative emergency that can’t be worked around to assure family and home life taken Care of first.

Spouse does not work but my chief administrative life organizer. Outsource everything Not related to the child. Take kid to school at least once a week and pick up at least once a week. Kid has after school activities 3 days a week and available to attend those special events.

Fortunate to also be charged with my own schedule. But try to stick to the routine so the entire staff and team have a sense of reliability. Same goes to the family, give them a sense of reliablility and I appreciate their understanding that they are a priority but understand that work sometimes work takes me away.

MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:41 am

livesoft wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:47 pm

Y'all are barbarians :shock: :D