what are you ding after retiring ???

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
looking

what are you ding after retiring ???

Post by looking » Mon May 21, 2007 9:43 am

Hi ALL
What are you doing now after you retired . You are enjoying,fishing,going school getting MBA,opening a new businees,travelling all over the world.chatting deihards forum, chasing women and working on your investment so on.

I found it is not that easy life.I like to do so many things but i don't know which one first and where to start.and where to get information so on.

I know I live only one life and I should enjoy my life but then I feel restless and depressed lately without knowing a clear direction of my life.

Sorry I just wanted to know anyone has this kind of experience after retired I am 68 years.

I think this is a truely remarkable place to express ones feeling some time. May be I shouldn't post .

Tnank you in advance all diehards

Sincerely
tom

stratton

Post by stratton » Mon May 21, 2007 11:31 am

Love the subject line typo. :-)

My aunt was in a bell choir. So, in addition to "ding" she was "dong."

Paul

Julio

My retirement

Post by Julio » Mon May 21, 2007 12:29 pm

I, like you, am 68. I retired 7 years ago. During the day I spend a lot of time on the computer. If I said I didn't get bored during the day, I would be lying.

I am single and try to fill in my days when I’m off the computer by watching the news. I'm also a dancer so going out in the evenings and meeting or being with people is no problem. I am usually active after 6 P.M. My days are the problem.

I think it might be nice to move to a 55+ community but don't want to take on another mortgage at my age. So I just continue with what I do.

Good luck.

Orion

Post by Orion » Mon May 21, 2007 12:44 pm

I too was thinking that for any question in which the verb is "ding", the answer must be "bell". :)

Let's see: yes, many of what is listed: traveling the world, learning a new language, (mostly China and Chinese for these questions), getting more deliberate about investing, running a small business (which is keeping me TOO busy at the moment - need to ramp that down a bit.) Zillions of books to read, old hobbies to work on, new hobbies to start, just returned from a Shakespeare festival etc. I've been thinking about going to China to teach English but I haven't been able to tear myself away from everything else yet.

I've been retired for 7 years so far. I retired earlier, which I think may make for an easier transition. (I think I had less time to get "defined by my work" so it might take longer to detach if you've been at it longer.)

One of the plays I saw was by Chekhov and the program book contained this quote: "I only wished to tell people honestly: Look at yourselves, see how badly and boringly you live! The main thing is that people should understand this and when they do, they will surely create for themselves another and better life."

Hmmm... Maybe I need to get back to work on that China plan... before I get permanently sucked into this small business.

Orion

Post by Orion » Mon May 21, 2007 12:54 pm

Oh and there are lots of organizations looking for volunteers. I found it easy to take on too much responsibility, because some of the volunteers are a bit flaky and organizations are happy to load up a reliable person with as much responsibility as he can take.

prentis

Post by prentis » Tue May 22, 2007 11:04 am

I retired earlier, which I think may make for an easier transition. (I think I had less time to get "defined by my work" so it might take longer to detach if you've been at it longer.)
What an interesting thought! It makes a lot of sense to me.

I have close relatives, a husband and wife, that both work at the same company and are totally defined by their jobs and have been most of their lives. They told me that they were thinking of cutting back their hours for the 6 months or so before retiring, "to develop some hobbies." It seems a little late for that. Incidentally they also are highly motivated to continue working so they can have tons of disposable income to spend on the latest and best whatever. What a trap that is!

I subscribe to the statement, "You don't want to retire from something, you want to retire to something. Before really thinking about it I printed up a bogus business card with my computer that listed "Engineering Manager - Retired" under my name. I have since changed it. It now reads:

V.P. and CFO of Domestic Affairs (Guess who is CEO)
Percussionist
Photographer
Travel agent
Media critic
Sous Chef
Grounds keeper
Child Psychologist (With two unmarried daughters, you can relate)
Volunteer

So tell me, when did I have time to go to work?
Last edited by prentis on Tue May 22, 2007 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A good landing is one that you can walk away from.

tc101

Post by tc101 » Tue May 22, 2007 11:59 am

I retired at 54, am now 57.

I go to the YMCA and work out 3 days a week. Usually ride my bike around the neighborhood the other days.

Write bad poetry but have lots of fun writing it. Very rarely show it to anyone.

Participate regularly in a spiritual order.

Traveled a lot the first few years -Costa Rica, Guatemala, India. Now I think about traveling more but it seems like hard work and keep putting it off.

Occasionally take on a small software project when I am just remembering the feeling of fun and creativity that comes from writing software. Then when I am actually doing the work and feeling the pressure and stress I remember why they call it work and vow never to do it again. Then forget about the bad part of it and think about doing another small software project just for fun.

Work in the yard, have lunch with friends, read books and magazines, go to the movies, watch netflix DVDs with my wife who still works because she would not take my good financial advice 10 years ago.

Meditate once a day with my legs crossed and back straight, just like you see in the movies.

Spend lots of time on my computer. I haven't decided if this is a bad habit or a great hobby.

Sit in my big comfortable chair and drink coffee and look out the window at the trees and daydream.

Topic Author
looking

Post by looking » Tue May 22, 2007 1:06 pm

Hi Tc101
I love your posting for spending time. I am thinking to go costa rica, to see if i want to stay for a while, just tell me about costarica. real estate is cheap to buy vacatipon home
tom

tc101

Post by tc101 » Tue May 22, 2007 1:23 pm

tomser,

There is a lot of hype of Costa Rica by real estate people. The land is actually pretty expensive and there are serious problems with roads, crime, property titles and so on. Go there to visit. If you like it then rent for at least 6 months before you think about buying.

You will be pressured by the real estate folks. They will tell you the property is about to double in value and you need to buy right away. This is of course a lot of bull. Take your time like you would for any major purchase. When the real estate folks rush you to buy before the costs double, think about all the people who lost money in the recent real estate frenzy in the USA. The same thing has happened in Costa Rica, but worse.

Go there and have a good time. Travel all around. Get to know lots of people. Find a place you like and then rent before you buy.

One other thing you won't read in any of the guidebooks, but it is the real reason lots of single middle aged men are there. You can get a younger prettier girl friend in Costa Rica than you can in the USA, because you will be relatively wealthy by Costa Rican standards.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Tue May 22, 2007 2:13 pm

I don't plan on retiring. I like my job too much.
Gordon

Topic Author
looking

Post by looking » Tue May 22, 2007 3:27 pm

tc101

what are a wonderful informations.

where did you stay. any reasonal priced places I can stay
which are arline did you use you said crime is over there it scares me.

I also thinking going to Philiphine that is the paradise for men and all the ladies speak english and they are desperate to get married to get us citizenship that is nothing wrong isn't it???

I also am thiking south pacific with white sand with bule sky,tongga,Guem,

Do you know where I can get information on south pacific for living. or travelling or .

cudaman

Tomser...

Post by cudaman » Tue May 22, 2007 11:03 pm

Do what makes you happy. Do not just think about it, do it! You made it to retirement and you deserve the best life has to offer.

I'm not there yet, and with my aggravating job, I just can't wait to get there. But when I do get there, there'll be no thoughts of returning to work in any form. My dreams are to get that car to the race track, break parts all day long and limp home for repairs. That stuff I enjoy and will fill a large part of my retirement. No bigger thrill than blasting down the qtr-mile race track hoping it all holds together. Get's the blood pumping pretty good. Anyway that just me.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Jerry

Jazztonight

semi retirement

Post by Jazztonight » Tue May 22, 2007 11:58 pm

I "semi-retired" from my former profession at age 53, and am now 60.

I work at my job 2 days a week, and since my wife and I had paid off the mortgage, and my two children were out of college, I decided to go back to school myself.

I enrolled as a "freshman" at the local state university, and pursued another college degree, this time a BA in music.

so there i was, in my mid fifties, sitting with all the 20 year olds, playing the sax, writing music, singing in the choir, taking music theory tests, music history, band concerts, etc.

I graduated in 4 years, had the time of my life, worked my ass off, stayed up till 1 am doing homework and studying, and would do it again in a heartbeat. I made young friends, and still play music with them.

Now, I play gigs (I'm a bandleader and play for a lot of weddings and other events), compose music for choir and HS ensembles, and volunteer once a week at a hospital playing the piano.

I too spend a lot of time on the computer.

My wife and I take 2 or 3 trips a year, and we visit Mexico almost every year--we've seen a lot of that great country, and I highly recommend visiting the "colonial cities."

I walk 3 miles several times a week, watch my diet, play with the cat, and belong to two men's groups.

Lots of other stuff too.

I also visit this forum several times a day! I like the people here.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

norm

Post by norm » Wed May 23, 2007 9:05 am

I am 68 and had to retire at 65 after having back surgery. Ironically I have been taking care of my wife for the past 5 months because of complications she suffered after she also had back surgery.

I spend most of my time on the computer a lot of it researching places to move to after my wife retires in 4 years and visiting with my online friends.

Now that the nicer weather is here I enjoy sitting out on the patio reading.

I also have been doing all of the house husband chores that my wife can't do including taking care of the gardens which I really enjoy.

Every Monday afternoon I go to the library where they show a free, fairly new movie.

It beats the hell out of working.

prentis

Jazztonight

Post by prentis » Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

Dear Jazztonight,

You are a model retiree. We could all learn from you. Congratulations!
A good landing is one that you can walk away from.

jiclemens

tc101-another kindred spirit here

Post by jiclemens » Wed May 23, 2007 6:48 pm

I retired late last year at 54 in small beachtown in CA. Gave up car. Rent small place near coast. Gym almost every day now. Bike into town for groceries, mail, gym or reading on beach. Paint on foggy days. In process of building home on Savannah River in South Carolina where I will be near family, and hope for more of the same. But I love the south and nature so will be spending more time fishing, photographing and painting the lowcountry. Planning more frequent cruises with friends after moving later this year. I have a reasonable federal pension and a reasonable amount of money in the bank and no debt. If I can stay out of debt and healthy I don't expect to ever be bored or regretting my decision.
-John

Lon

Retire 16 years and love it

Post by Lon » Wed May 23, 2007 6:51 pm

For the past 16 years we have spent 5 months of each year in New Zealand and the other 7 months in California, living in a "Active Adult Age Restricted Retirement Community" (ain't that a mouth full?). I am physically active, playing golf, scuba diving, volleyball, table tennis on a regular basis. We have traveled much of the South Pacific and Australia. I think I was born to be retired.

Topic Author
looking

Post by looking » Wed May 23, 2007 9:05 pm

hi lon
I envy you. Can you give me some informationon on South pacific

I love to go over there and stay a couple of months or buy some run down property. Any way I have no clue where to go south pacific blue sky,white sand,coconut trees. May be guam,tongga,fiji, Austoraria ???

Lon

South Pacific

Post by Lon » Thu May 24, 2007 9:36 am

It's a big area Tom, with much to see and do. You might want to consider booking a cruise on a smaller vessel like "Windstar", with a cruise originating and ending in Tahiti. Such a cruise will give you a great introduction to the beauty and serenity of So. Pacific Islands.