Medigap Plan F Extra (California)

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
BBBob

Medigap Plan F Extra (California)

Post by BBBob » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:13 am

Hi Folks,

There is a new Medigap Plan F Extra that appears to have all the benefits of Plan F plus some coverage for optometric care and hearing aids. We're in California which follows the "birthday rule'" permitting a change in Plans within 30 days of your birthday, and we're considering an alternative to Plan F in view of its upcoming closure to new entrants.

Aside from requiring medical underwriting (since this is an "upgrade" from Plan F), is there any reason not to go with this latest plan? (FWIW, the carrier permits a downgrade---e.g., to Plan G-- without medical underwriting.)

As always, thank you for your wise and valuable counseling.
Last edited by BBBob on Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mhalley

Re: Medigap Plan F Plus

Post by mhalley » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:11 pm

I am a little concerned about plan f as it is going away, I was planning on going with it until I heard the news about it going away, so now am looking at g. Previous thread:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=270677
I heard a podcast the other day where they interviewed someone from BoomerBenefits. I wonder if using someone like them would be worthwhile. Anyone with any experience with them or a similar co?
https://boomerbenefits.com/about-us/

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:43 pm

BBBob wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:13 am
Hi Folks,

There is a new Medigap Plan F+ that appears to have all the benefits of Plan F plus some coverage for optometric care and hearing aids.
I haven't seen any mention of a new Plan F+ as you describe. Is this something that exists outside of Ca? Can someone please provide a link to this "new" plan?

When I Google Medigap Plan F+ the only hit that seems relevant is a NY state site that uses F+ to refer to the high deductible F, which is obviously not what Bob is asking about.

Topic Author
BBBob

Post by BBBob » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:08 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:43 pm
When I Google Medigap Plan F+ the only hit that seems relevant is a NY state site that uses F+ to refer to the high deductible F, which is obviously not what Bob is asking about.
Sorry...I screwed the name up...it's "Plan F Extra" and we're in CA. Here's a link: https://www.blueshieldca.com/sites/medi ... -PR-DS.pdf

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:32 pm

BBBob wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:08 pm
neilpilot wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:43 pm
Sorry...I screwed the name up...it's "Plan F Extra" and we're in CA. Here's a link: https://www.blueshieldca.com/sites/medi ... -PR-DS.pdf
Only in California.....you might consider changing the thread title to indicate that

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:19 pm

Just enrolled in Medicare, and I chose F-extra; as a new enrollee, it came with an additional $20/mo. discount. California resident, and yes, with Birthday rule, you can change out later if it ever gets too expensive.

Topic Author
BBBob

Post by BBBob » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:29 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:32 pm
Only in California.....you might consider changing the thread title to indicate that
Good point. Done. Thanks.

SpideyIndexer

Re: Medigap Plan F Extra (California)

Post by SpideyIndexer » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:30 pm

Sounds like the Anthem Innovative Plan F.

bowtie

Post by bowtie » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:11 am

I have considered this Blue Shield "Plan f extra' but I think it'd only be a good deal for one year because the 20.00 discount would go away and the regular price for it at this time is 167.00 in our area so it might go up a bit from there the following year (?).
I have read the cautionary threads about ongoing rate concerns in the long run with plan 'F" after the cut-off in 2020.... but I've also seen "F" advocated like 'get into it while you can' in other places.
I would also say see if you want those particular vision benefits, see if they require you to go to someplace specific that is limited ....
Anyway I figured probably go with "G" ...
I don't know what the OP did - maybe went with the "F extra".

cowbman

Post by cowbman » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:20 am

G is almost always a better deal. I have failed to find a G plan that wasn't at least $187/year ($15.58/month) cheaper than F.