Best US credit card for expat in Asia

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
capitalG

Best US credit card for expat in Asia

Post by capitalG »

Moving to Asia in about a month for a few years, will return to the US after. We will have a local bank account and credit card but since I have the option to take my compensation in USD and local currency, I’m generally trying to minimize how much local currency I keep. I plan on trying to achieve this by using a US foreign-fee free credit for major purchases in Asia and paying the CC bill with USD in the US. Does anyone have any suggestions on best credit cards? My main criteria is no foreign transaction (many of those), no annual fee, and rewards. I currently use the Costco Citi and am thinking of adding one more in case of card acceptance issues. Thank you!

CapG
Pancho

Re: Best US credit card for expat in Asia

Post by Pancho »

Check out: https://www.sdfcu.org/credit-cards

I don’t have an account with them. Before we move abroad, I plan on opening an account with them. They seem to be one of the few financial institutions that allow you to live abroad and still hold an account with them. If you have a foreign account, be sure to google FATCA. Make sure you comply if it applies to you.
oneleaf

Post by oneleaf »

capitalG wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:32 pm Moving to Asia in about a month for a few years, will return to the US after. We will have a local bank account and credit card but since I have the option to take my compensation in USD and local currency, I’m generally trying to minimize how much local currency I keep. I plan on trying to achieve this by using a US foreign-fee free credit for major purchases in Asia and paying the CC bill with USD in the US. Does anyone have any suggestions on best credit cards? My main criteria is no foreign transaction (many of those), no annual fee, and rewards. I currently use the Costco Citi and am thinking of adding one more in case of card acceptance issues. Thank you!

CapG
The Costco Citi is already great for overseas use as it has no foreign transaction fee. First Tech Federal Credit Union has credit cards that not only have no foreign transaction fee, but also no cash advance fee. So it is actually even better overseas since it can be used as a spare ATM card if you are in a pinch. A few days of high interest charged on a cash withdrawal is hardly anything compared to most cash advance fees.
YoungBogle

Post by YoungBogle »

Uber visa, Chase Amazon CC, Cap1 quicksilver, BofA Travel Rewards (if interested in moving 100k assets to BofA/Merrill Lynch to get 2.25% cash back/$).
Topic Author
capitalG

Post by capitalG »

That is very helpful - did not know the Amazon Prime CC had no international fee, will go with that as the backup to Costco Citi. Thank you!

capG