Crazy lady backs into my car...don't think she will pay me out of pocket

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
LiterallyIronic

Re: Crazy lady backs into my car...dont think she will pay me out of pocket

Post by LiterallyIronic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:55 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:32 pm
It’s almost never in your advantage to be “nice” or go around insurance. People who are freaked out by the worry of an increasing insurance premium are also usually shocked to discover the cost of body work.
Reminds me of the time I tried to be nice. I was stopped at a red light. A white truck proceeded to rear end me by not coming to a stop in time. Probably only hit me at 5 or 10mph. Just then, the light turned green, and I pulled my car over to the side of the road with the intention of just telling the other driver it wasn't a problem and to have a nice day because I literally could not care less. But the other driver just high-tailed it out of there, hauling like 50mph through a neighborhood. Guess he was freaked out.

On the other hand, my wife was nice to someone who rear-ended her at a stop sign and she said the same thing, "Doesn't matter, bye," but the other driver made my wife take her (the other driver's) contact info. We threw it away.

So I guess it, like everything in life, depends.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:16 pm

Here in Oregon you don't need to call police unless there is a personal injury. Or maybe if one car is totaled, I don't know. The parties involved are supposed to file (i.e., mail to police) an accident report. It's in your best interest to do so promptly, in case the other guy -- the one who hit YOU -- wants to spin the story. After getting rear-ended multiple times in a short period of time I had the link to the pdf of the form bookmarked.

freebeer

Post by freebeer » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:33 pm

Rupert wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:03 pm
Never handle an accident involving vehicles with humans inside them outside of insurance. Those humans could always come back later (before the statute of limitations runs out, which can be years in the future) and blame you for medical injury that occurred during the accident. They will do this regardless of how many times (in texts or otherwise) they have admitted fault for the accident.
Yes, and never go outside when it's raining either, you could get hit by lightning!

"They will do this..." alarmism without any examples where someone has EVER admitted fault and paid someone outside of insurance yet then come back years later and sued for an injury - much less any data that this is a frequent occurrence - is unreasonable.

I would however admit that paying someone outside of insurance when you feel you are at fault could be a small risk if there were humans in their vehicle. An insurer would hopefully handle the payment in a manner that definitively settles all liabilities.

caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:40 pm

freebeer wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:33 pm
Rupert wrote:
Never handle an accident involving vehicles with humans inside them outside of insurance. Those humans could always come back later (before the statute of limitations runs out, which can be years in the future) and blame you for medical injury that occurred during the accident. They will do this regardless of how many times (in texts or otherwise) they have admitted fault for the accident.
Yes, and never go outside when it's raining either, you could get hit by lightning!

"They will do this..." alarmism without any examples where someone has EVER admitted fault and paid someone outside of insurance yet then come back years later and sued for an injury - much less any data that this is a frequent occurrence - is unreasonable.

I would however admit that paying someone outside of insurance when you feel you are at fault could be a small risk if there were humans in their vehicle. An insurer would hopefully handle the payment in a manner that definitively settles all liabilities.
It's seems rather alarmist to call this alarmism. :D It's just a sensible policy, requires very little effort, and can protect you in case something comes up. I fail to see the downside of it. In my situation, the person I ran into filed a suit over a year after the accident, on the very last day she was able to do so, asking for $750k. I'm glad I didn't go it alone. I can't imagine what a mess it would have been to try and untangle that had I not simple contacted my insurance company from the get-go.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:41 pm

freebeer wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:33 pm
Rupert wrote:

You literally pay for insurance to offload the risk of an unlikely event causing you a great financial burden. Why you would avoid using it to shield yourself when that event actually happens is foolhardy if you ask me.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:45 pm

This is one reason I have a dash cam. It's hard to dispute what happened when there is clear video evidence. A second reason is that I drive a rocketship, so I am guilty until proven innocent.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:46 pm

^ Yes, Jags, exactly. Why even have insurance?

I can't cite any statistics. They probably exist, but I'm too lazy to Google them. I do have some personal experience though. In a former life, I worked for an insurance defense law firm that represented one of the country's largest auto insurers. Suffice it to say that the situation I described in my earlier post (which has apparently generated this controversy) happens a lot. It's really quite startling the amount of insurance fraud that is attempted -- people blaming medical conditions on old auto accidents in a desperate effort to pay their current medical bills, people moving all grandma's antiques out the house to the barn the day before the house burns down, etc.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:51 pm

I really don't care about amount of damage, if our vehicle is involved in an accident, regardless of fault, we will be calling the police, and reporting it to our insurance company. Once burnt, twice shy. Already dealt with an accident person who begged not to report, they would pay... blah, blah blah. But, they didn't. Surprise!

Last week DW was stopped at a traffic light, 5-6 cars back in the line. A car came along beside her on the grass median to enter left-hand turn lanes beginning past where my wife was waiting in traffic. The other driver clipped our left rear wheel-well flare, breaking the flare screw holes where it was attached to the metal wheel well. My plastic wheel well flare left a nice, long black streak on their passenger side.

The other party was belligerent about the accident, apparently they thought telling DW to just take it somewhere to get fixed, it won't cost more than $10-$20 (and them not paying for it) was what DW should do. So, with their attitude of clearly feeling they had no responsibility, DW called the police and exchanged insurance info with the other party under the supervision of the police. Driver didn't have a driver's licence with her, but police verified she had a valid license.

We filed a claim with their insurance, and an information only ticket with our insurance company. Yesterday their insurance advised us their party was 100% liable, and the insurance company would be sending us a check for $238.00.

Had the other party acted in a civil manner, and used a respectful tone of voice to my wife, I would have told DW to send them on their way, no big deal. Niceness matters.

I'll get a neighbor to drill two new holes to re-secure the wheel well flare back on the van, and give them a six-pack of beer for their help.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Topic Author
bigguy8437

Post by bigguy8437 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:55 pm

hey its OP here. so i just got a call from Geico saying that the lady who backed into my car is denying that anything happened and that they want me to call them back to give a statement. should i even call them back at this point? My insurance, Amica, has already given me an appraisal for $450 and said they will cover all of the costs.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:01 pm

bigguy8437 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:55 pm
hey its OP here. so i just got a call from Geico saying that the lady who backed into my car is denying that anything happened and that they want me to call them back to give a statement. should i even call them back at this point? My insurance, Amica, has already given me an appraisal for $450 and said they will cover all of the costs.
Who does Amica think is at fault? Are they taking your word for it? If Amica doesn't think that damage is not somebody else's fault, I suspect it will raise your rates.

So much for trying to be a nice guy .......

If I'm in an accident, the police will be called and insurance notified.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:07 pm

bigguy8437 wrote:
When you called Amica with the same question, what did they say to do?

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:23 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:07 pm
bigguy8437 wrote:
When you called Amica with the same question, what did they say to do?
+1. Ask your insurance company what they want you to do. They may tell you to call Geico back and make a statement. You should certainly offer to forward them the lady's text messages admitting fault.

deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:34 pm

bigguy8437 wrote:
The person that hit you is broke and was broke from the get go and the moment the incident at the time didn't file a police report was music to the at fault person's ears. The at at fault driver is still risking a lot of legal hassle over $450 but broke is broke. If the at fault driver sent you text messages admitting fault I'd submit those over, along with any voicemails where she mentioned payment and terms. Probably won't do any good and $450 isn't worth the insurance company's time, but I am curious. Wonder why she admitted fault over text messages if she planned on stiffing you on the bill to begin with.

oko

Post by oko » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:25 pm

Which number do you guys dial for police report? I am assuming it is not 911. We have 311 for non-emergencies but I don't know how long will it take for police to respond. According to the nextdoor, at 5am in the morning someone (probably drunk or under the influence of drugs) was damaging/hitting on cars and houses in an affluent part of our city. When the police was called, it took several hours for the police to respond, because according to them, more urgent issues were being responded to! I don't know what can be more urgent than a crime in progress, in any case, I would not expect a police officer to respond to a fender-bender in several hours, at least in our city.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:35 pm

oko wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:25 pm
Which number do you guys dial for police report? I am assuming it is not 911. We have 311 for non-emergencies but I don't know how long will it take for police to respond. According to the nextdoor, at 5am in the morning someone (probably drunk or under the influence of drugs) was damaging/hitting on cars and houses in an affluent part of our city. When the police was called, it took several hours for the police to respond, because according to them, more urgent issues were being responded to! I don't know what can be more urgent than a crime in progress, in any case, I would not expect a police officer to respond to a fender-bender in several hours, at least in our city.
In a lot of places, for a minor fender bender like the one OP had, you can exchange info, then either go to the police station and fill out a report, or do the report online from home. You don't need to wait for the police to come.

Police dispatchers prioritize calls. A crazy person damaging property isn't as high a priority as a crazy person damaging people, for example, even if the property being damaged is in an affluent part of the city. Also, people on nextdoor tend to exaggerate.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:22 pm

If there’s an accident involving another person or vehicle, you should call 911. Get the other person’s name and insurance info, and wait for the police to come and fill out their report.

If you don’t, then you are taking a big risk.

But if it’s a tiny, minor scrape from very light contact then it might not be worth it. I think the OP did the right thing in that case, by waiting 3 weeks for reimbursement and then filing a claim. Still, $500 in damage seems a bit more than minor.

Good luck.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:26 pm

finite_difference wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:22 pm
If there’s an accident involving another person or vehicle, you should call 911. Get the other person’s name and insurance info, and wait for the police to come and fill out their report.
That may be good advice some places. Around here though, the police don't have to write a report unless someone is injured or the vehicle has to be towed.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:33 pm

munemaker wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:26 pm
finite_difference wrote:
That may be good advice some places. Around here though, the police don't have to write a report unless someone is injured or the vehicle has to be towed.
Still, calling the police, having them evaluate the situation, and if the fact is they didn’t have to write a report, that is supporting evidence in itself.

I don’t think it’s good practice for drivers to try to make that evaluation themselves, particularly after a highly stressful incident like an accident.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:00 pm

bigguy8437 wrote:
If you have Amica cover you, expect your insurance premiums to go up--but that's something to talk to them about.

I'd call GEICO back and give them the statement. Point out that if "nothing" happened, their customer wouldn't have given you her contact information and insurance information--you wouldn't eve be talking to them....

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:41 pm

munemaker wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:26 pm
finite_difference wrote:
Around here if you called 911 for an accident where there was minor damage and nobody was hurt, the 911 operator would tell you to call the non-emergency number and then hang up on you. We have road signs here and there telling people to pull off the road and exchange information themselves.

Patrick584

Post by Patrick584 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:03 pm

You are entitled to your own priorities, but I think people care way too much about the cosmetics of their car finish. Cars are outside and they get hit by things. I don’t think it’s fair that someone is liable for multiple days pay because they put a scratch in your fragile car. It’s like the classic chefs carrying an oversized wedding cake outside. I had someone bump me last week. It felt so good to tell him don’t worry about it and leave with a handshake. This person feels terrible about it, and the money is very stressful. It costs you nothing to shrug it off and you would bring great relief to this woman.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:35 pm

Patrick584 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:03 pm
You are entitled to your own priorities, but I think people care way too much about the cosmetics of their car finish. Cars are outside and they get hit by things. I don’t think it’s fair that someone is liable for multiple days pay because they put a scratch in your fragile car. It’s like the classic chefs carrying an oversized wedding cake outside. I had someone bump me last week. It felt so good to tell him don’t worry about it and leave with a handshake. This person feels terrible about it, and the money is very stressful. It costs you nothing to shrug it off and you would bring great relief to this woman.
Good for you (I guess), but if someone damages your property they are responsible for returning it to its previous state, regardless of the cost. We have a crazy story which involved my wife, a car which had been taken off insurance literally 6hrs before (we had sold it to my BIL, but he had yet pick it up), and a fender-bender which involved my wife rear-ending someone (at <10mph) who had stopped in the middle of an intersection on a yellow light. There was literally zero visible damage, but because my wife was unknowingly driving an uninsured vehicle we were responsible for the full cost...which somehow turned into $9500. I am nearly 100% sure there was fraud involved because the repair bill made no sense, but didn't feel we had any recourse because she was driving uninsured. Take responsibility for your actions.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:56 pm

bigguy8437 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:00 pm
Should I even respond to this lady who hit me? She left me an angry voicemail asking to call her back. she was like "we had an agreement"...yeah the agreement was you would pay me by this sunday and she has made up a different excuse everyday since then and all her texts are very sketchy.
Introduce her to this fella, she can walk his dog, make some money and pay for your fix. win-win. :thumbsup

student

Post by student » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:02 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:35 pm
Patrick584 wrote:
Good for you (I guess), but if someone damages your property they are responsible for returning it to its previous state, regardless of the cost. We have a crazy story which involved my wife, a car which had been taken off insurance literally 6hrs before (we had sold it to my BIL, but he had yet pick it up), and a fender-bender which involved my wife rear-ending someone (at <10mph) who had stopped in the middle of an intersection on a yellow light. There was literally zero visible damage, but because my wife was unknowingly driving an uninsured vehicle we were responsible for the full cost...which somehow turned into $9500. I am nearly 100% sure there was fraud involved because the repair bill made no sense, but didn't feel we had any recourse because she was driving uninsured. Take responsibility for your actions.
+1

lstone19

Post by lstone19 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:35 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:41 pm
Around here if you called 911 for an accident where there was minor damage and nobody was hurt, the 911 operator would tell you to call the non-emergency number and then hang up on you. We have road signs here and there telling people to pull off the road and exchange information themselves.
And where I live, they seem to want you to call 911 for anything that requires dispatching police. All police dispatches are handled by the contractor 911 center. If you call the non-emergency number, you get the local department but they'll tell you to call 911 if you need an officer to go somewhere.

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:39 pm

OP,

Here's what will answer all questions you have on the subject from now on:

Step 1: Call Amica and ask them the question, and what you should do to ensure you get paid and your rates don't go up.

Step 2: Do what Amica says.

:)

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:51 pm

I would always notify my insurance company. This is what I pay insurance for.

I have lived in two different states. In one the police will only come out for a car accident if there is an injury or some substantial amount of damage. In the other they come out for every accident.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:09 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:29 pm
Did you get a police report? You always get a police report and should always use insurance. I have been hit many times, once agreed to do the same as you and then when I gave the person the quote for $1,500 he said I was trying to rob him, so then I filled with his insurance company
I have always heard the same thing and had my first minor collision a couple years ago in the city I have lived for about 10 years. Police reports are not always available as it turns out. In my city, if you call the police, they will ask you if anyone is hurt and if the cars are operable. If everyone is OK and you can drive the cars, they tell you there is no reason for the police to be involved. Frustrating.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:28 pm

dbr wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:38 pm
Probably anyone who wants to not report to insurance is just precisely the person who is never going to pay you either.
I have “not reported” to insurance both as the at fault party and as the injured party. It has always worked out for both sides. Repair work gets done and paid for by the appropriate party without giving the insurance company a chance to raise rates for these less than $1000 fender benders.

Too bad this did not happen to the OP.

aqan

Post by aqan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:18 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:37 pm
You can make your own agreement with the lady if you choose. From a hassle standpoint, I wouldn't bother. If I were to even consider it, I'd let her know that the insurance company has said they expect that hidden damage will increase the cost, so if she shows up in one hour with $1000 in $20 bills, you'll close the claim. Otherwise, go away.
exactly... its not too late. if she doesn't want to go thru her insurance, she can just pay you and close the claim outside of insurance.

dachshunddad

Post by dachshunddad » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:35 am

bigguy8437 wrote:
You pay insurance premiums so you don't have to deal with this kind of issue. Let the insurance companies take care of everything...I would not work directly with someone who has not paid you promptly.

1. talk to your insurance agent and see what they want you to do
2. if they suggest you talk to the other parties insurance then Absolutely give your side of the story. I had a similar situation and I was interviewed by the other insurance company. The representative told me "the other guy can't remember if he hit you or not...we will cover everything". The damage will likely speak for itself so they will know they need to pay.
3. Let the insurance companies do the rest and buy more stocks :sharebeer

EZ James

Post by EZ James » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:09 am

My 2017 RAV4 has a section somewhere in one of the stack of owners manuals about the rear bumper. From memory, they caution against letting any cargo rest on the rear bumper for fear of damage to sensors. So I'd be concerned if it got banged even without leaving a mark.

I imagine other cars with sonar or parking assist features would have similar risk.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:42 am

Patrick584 wrote:
I don’t think it’s fair that someone is liable for multiple days pay because they put a scratch in your fragile car.

It costs you nothing to shrug it off and you would bring great relief to this woman.
I don’t think it’s particularly fair that you think people ought to be able to damage other people’s property and not be responsible for the cost of the damage.

Besides this woman has shown through her evasive actions that she doesn’t deserve “shrugging it off”

ttjt_99

Post by ttjt_99 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:57 pm

If they're at fault, kindly dismiss any discussion of cash, contact the PD, and file either through their insurance or yours. If you do it through yours, you'll have to pay your deductible until the subrogation process concludes.

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:23 pm

For those of you who say, "File a police report," exactly how is that done? I live in Maryland, and my understanding was the police were not particularly interested in fender-bender type accidents with no injury and relative low damage, that they would much rather the drivers handled it themselves. The only accident I've had was with a neighbor and there were no police involved, so I'm pretty inexperienced in this area. Are you saying call the police no matter how minor the accident, or is there some other way in your state of "filing a report"? My GEICO instructions say, "Notify police or 911 if applicable", whatever that means.

Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:51 pm

Rupert wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:46 pm
people moving all grandma's antiques out the house to the barn the day before the house burns down, etc.
Ha! As a wise man once noted, "There's a lot of ways to make money in this world, but i can't recommend insurance fraud"

At this point, I'd make it my business to ensure the woman's insurance pays up.
"A courageous teacher, failure is."

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:22 pm

If you know her name, license number, and insurance information. Then that is way to proceed.
You gave her a chance. It did not work out. So now you have to go through proper channels.
Her insurance should pay in full. You should not have to pay a deductible.
If you do not have her insurance information, as long as you have her contact information you should be OK.
With a name and address hopefully your insurance company can find out who her insurance company is. But I'm not sure about this. You might try to get her insurance info if you do not already have it.

I'm not sure what happens if all you have is her name and contact information. In that case you may have to pay the deductible.

Good luck. Remember, it is just a car, and just money.

Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:54 pm

Haven't read all the replies here, but if I were you, I would keep the voice mails she left you. Since she backed into you, what's to stop her from claiming you hit her? You can use her messages to piece together her agreement to pay you, thus suggesting fault (hers).

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:12 pm

Rupert wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:38 am

Serious question -- In what state do you live where insurance companies automatically get copies of all police reports? When I've been in accidents in the past, my insurance company has always required that I procure a copy of the police report for them. Are you perhaps referring to the DMV reporting that some states require? I do think insurance companies get copies of those reports. But I can't imagine how they would automatically get copies of police reports. Most jurisdictions charge a fee for copies of police reports. In any event, in my state (in most states that have the DMV reporting requirement, I think), there's a minimum damage threshold before those reports are required and filed. $500 would not trigger the reporting requirement here.

In any event, I don't think the insurance company's automatic receipt of a DMV report would satisfy the requirement in most auto policies that "the insured" report accidents to the insurance company within a specified time. Failing to tell them in the manner specified by the policy gives them a way to wiggle out of paying for the accident in the future. Again, it's important to read your policy and see what your insurance company requires.
In Massachusetts, anyone can file a police report for any reason. Even if it's not required. You don't have to call the police, you can go to the police station, fill it out and hand it to them to put on file. When the insurance company wants a police report, it is so that your story is on the form and sworn to under pain of purgery and signed. If you fill it out, it will allow you to put your side of the story in the report without all of the mistakes that a police officer very often will make because he didn't get what you said right or didn't hear you or whatever.

In Mass, our version of the DMV is called RMV and it's a division of the State Police, so to file something with them, you're filing a police report.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:40 pm

bigguy8437 wrote:
So you're done.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:23 pm

michaelingp wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:23 pm
For those of you who say, "File a police report," exactly how is that done? I live in Maryland, and my understanding was the police were not particularly interested in fender-bender type accidents with no injury and relative low damage, that they would much rather the drivers handled it themselves. The only accident I've had was with a neighbor and there were no police involved, so I'm pretty inexperienced in this area. Are you saying call the police no matter how minor the accident, or is there some other way in your state of "filing a report"? My GEICO instructions say, "Notify police or 911 if applicable", whatever that means.
This is completely local. One place I lived you called the cops, they came out and did a report. If you didn’t want to wait, you could go to the police station and the guy at the desk would do it. Another place, you could call them and they would do it over the phone, or you could do it yourself online. Where I am now, the cops don’t do reports for fender benders. If nobody is hurt and the car is drivable, then exchange info and get on with your lives.

How you know what to do in your location? No idea.

Patrick584

Post by Patrick584 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:51 pm

8foot7 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:42 am
Patrick584 wrote:
I don’t think it’s fair that someone is liable for multiple days pay because they put a scratch in your fragile car.

It costs you nothing to shrug it off and you would bring great relief to this woman.
I don’t think it’s particularly fair that you think people ought to be able to damage other people’s property and not be responsible for the cost of the damage.

Besides this woman has shown through her evasive actions that she doesn’t deserve “shrugging it off”
Maybe this woman is evasive because she is poor. Sometimes community and compassion can be more important than property rights. Exposing people to liabilities beyond their ability to pay can be unproductive. Their is some personal liability involved with bringing expensive, fragile things into public spaces.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:25 pm

Patrick584 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:51 pm
8foot7 wrote:
Patrick584 wrote:

Maybe this woman is evasive because she is poor. Sometimes community and compassion can be more important than property rights. Exposing people to liabilities beyond their ability to pay can be unproductive. Their is some personal liability involved with bringing expensive, fragile things into public spaces.
Unbelievable. So the person with the most money should be the loser?
What if you are both poor??

Topic Author
bigguy8437

Post by bigguy8437 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:59 am

I ended up telling amica to deal with geico. Amica asked me for screen shots of my conversation with the lady which shows she said she would pay me. A couple days later geico left a voicemail saying after looking at the text messages, the lady is going to be found at fault!

ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:10 am

Justice prevails! Congratulations.

Momus

Post by Momus » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:54 am

It's not your problem that her kid is sick. She needs to pay either out of pocket or with her insurance. File away. No sympathy here.

student

Post by student » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:22 am

I am glad that it worked out.

Cigarman

Post by Cigarman » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:16 am

Simple Rules for any accident, regardless of damage.

1. Call police and get an official report. You never know who you are dealing with on the other end.

2. Call your insurance company and tell them to handle it. That is why you pay for insurance.

See how simple this is? Works every time. No crazy people to deal with, official record of what happened, etc. I have been on both ends of his equation and it always works.

Pacman

Post by Pacman » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:34 am

toofache32 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:25 pm
Patrick584 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:51 pm
8foot7 wrote:
Patrick584 wrote:

Unbelievable. So the person with the most money should be the loser?
What if you are both poor??
I think Patrick has the right mindset here. The point isn’t to get taken of advantage of, but let little things go and remember it’s just a car. It’s also much less stressful if you are not worried about small dings. His point about bringing expensive things into public spaces and personal accountability is interesting. Should I be on the hook for $100K for bumping your Lamborghini?

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:52 am

Pacman wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:34 am
Should I be on the hook for $100K for bumping your Lamborghini?
Yes, you should. I'll turn the question around......would you care if some 16 year old too busy "lol'ing" on their phone and not paying attention crashed into the side of your car? The door still operates and the window still operates properly, so why would that be a big deal?

If someone can't drive properly and causes damage, their insurance should cost more. Had this person backed into the driveway, they'd have been able to drive forward out and likely would not have hit the OP. If you can't pay attention while driving, stick with busses and taxis.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid