Where do you keep your emergency fund?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
siriusblack

Post by siriusblack » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:41 am

I have my emergency fund in VFSTX (Vanguard Short-Term Investment Grade Bond Fund) -- but I was recently wondering whether maybe I'm carrying too much risk for an emergency fund. What do you all think?

Garfieldthecat

Re: Where do you keep your emergency fund?

Post by Garfieldthecat » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:15 pm

VSUXX - Vanguard Treasury Money Market Fund. Right now, 2.3% with no state tax. Another option is VMFXX or VMMXX, but you will pay state tax on that (if you live in a state with income tax).

Another option commonly posted here is a high yield savings account (~2%)

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:30 pm

It took some time to accumulate enough of them due to the annual purchase limits, but now mine is in Series I Savings Bonds. They are included in my overall portfolio allocation, despite frequent advice here to the contrary. I own the totality of what I own.
PJW

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:32 pm

About 50/50 in my bank's savings account and I-Bonds.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:52 pm

Vanguard Federal Money Market. Brokerage sweep account.
Total World Stock and Total World Bond. The simple two fund diversified portfolio. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Davinci

Post by Davinci » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:55 pm

Currently in Ally savings but I am seriously considering moving part of it to Vanguard PMM to quickly execute RBD in Taxable if the rare opportunity presents itself.

RBD under a rare opportunity and with an objective criteria I think is reasonable.

Livesoft has a great eye to see an RBD so it would be great if he could give us a heads up when there is one. My biggest concern is that I do not know yet when to RBD as a fairly new investor.

P.S I don't time the market but I think RBD is a reasonable strategy.

I know I might get challenged and get different opinions on this, so let's debate and please help me change my reasoning and undestanding if I am wrong.

DaVinci
" Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" Leonardo Da Vinci.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:06 pm

siriusblack wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:41 am
I have my emergency fund in VFSTX (Vanguard Short-Term Investment Grade Bond Fund) -- but I was recently wondering whether maybe I'm carrying too much risk for an emergency fund. What do you all think?
Risk has two components: likelihood and consequence. How likely are you to need your emergency fund? This might depend on how secure your job is, whether you plan to use this account to buy a new car or for a home down payment, and how much you keep in other cash accounts like a checking account. What is the consequence of selling your bond fund? You have to look at the potential loss in value it might have which requires a guess. Maybe you might lose 10% of value. What is the impact of having your $10K bond fund worth only $9K?

I prefer a tiered approach and use a combination of money market funds, muni bond funds, and CDs as part of my fixed income allocation.

Afty

Post by Afty » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:21 pm

Capital One 360 MM account at 2% interest, FDIC insured.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:26 pm

Cap 360

:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Latestarter62

Post by Latestarter62 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:27 pm

Cit Bank savings account 2.45%

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:31 pm

siriusblack wrote:
I think you are just fine. You are in a good fund (though I much prefer Vanguard Short-term Treasury Index fund).

Are you concerned with the quality of the bond fund, or are you concerned about the length of time that might be needed to receive the funds from a sale?

Thing is, you can get funds quickly if you need them. That is what you need to handle emergencies.

In our 47 years of marriage, wife and I never had a problem that required immediate access to cash. All through the children's childhood illnesses, auto wrecks, broken/sprained limbs. Never needed it. Never had a car or home repair where cash was demanded.

Our emergency fund was multiple high-limit credit cards, and a HELOC account for a time. If you have a high-limit credit card, you can cover a bill quickly, in many many cases, giving yourself a breathing room to wait for a couple of days for your Vanguard fund sale and transfer of proceeds into your banking account.

An easy solution for having ability for near immediate cash might be purchasing a few I-Bonds. After a holding period of a year :?: you can cash them in with only the loss of some of the interest if you have to redeem prior to five years. :?: At least with I-Bonds, you are getting some benefits when inflation is considered. Treasury Direct redemption time is very fast.

Many people swear by emergency funds, but I prefer to keep my money working all the time. Often emergency funds are placed in low interest instruments, a tradeoff for having the funds available virtually immediately.

Also, some people like the actual segregation of different pots of money. But, money is fungible, and you can mentally isolate the total into as many pots you want to have.

But you should do what makes you comfortable, whatever removes your uneasiness of not being able to respond to an emergency. Whatever lets you sleep comfortably is what you should want, after you have considered your needs, and possible solutions.

Good luck!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:38 pm

25% in high yield online savings. 25% intermediate indexed tax free municipal fund in taxable. 50% in high yield indexed muni fund in taxable. Will use in that order. I count the muni funds as part of fixed income, but they are specifically there for an emergency.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:41 pm

1/3 in hard cash, 2/3 in Wellesley Income (in a Roth IRA).
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

lvrpl

Post by lvrpl » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:55 pm

Garfieldthecat wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:15 pm
VSUXX - Vanguard Treasury Money Market Fund. Right now, 2.3% with no state tax. Another option is VMFXX or VMMXX, but you will pay state tax on that (if you live in a state with income tax).

Is the interest in VSUXX subject to federal income tax? I currently have my emergency fund in VMSXX and am wondering if VSUXX might be better (I was in the 32% federal tax bracket this year, for what it's worth).

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:58 pm

First tier 2-3 month in savings, brick & mortar
Second tier Roth contributions.
Roth contributions total 40 months expenses.
The Roth is currently 60//40 AA.

scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:11 pm

My first-tier EF is an extra $700 in my local bank's checking account over the minimum amount to avoid monthly account fees. I often tap into this to cover smaller, unforeseen expenses. My second-tier EF is about $40k I keep in an intermediate-term muni bond fund. I rarely have to tap into that blob of money which earns about 2-2.5% annually (and is mostly tax-free), and I have checkwriting privileges on it to give me some added liquidity and speed in accessing it.

ReformedSpender

Post by ReformedSpender » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:17 pm

Capital 360 though they are really slacking lately compared to yield of other online banks (IMO)

:(
Market history shows that when there's economic blue sky, future returns are low, and when the economy is on the skids, future returns are high. The best fishing is done in the most stormy waters.

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:27 pm

The funds that I’ve bucketed/mentally accounted as my EF sits in Vanguard Limited Term Tax Exempt.
“Life doesn’t come with a warranty.” -Michael LeBoeuf

Topic Author
siriusblack

Post by siriusblack » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:53 pm

Thanks everyone for the feedback, lots of good ideas here!

I think it's interesting that so many folks have pointed out the mental accounting aspect of this -- i.e. it's really just part of your overall portfolio, all money fungible, etc. I tried pointing that out to my wife once, and she completely agreed in principle, but it still didn't go over very well. :oops: We've always kept ours as separate as possible from everything else by keeping it in a unique fund -- and I've realized for us, that's the way it has to be because it helps us BOTH sleep well at night. But it's hard for me to resist the urge to get more than a money market rate of return from it ... it's interesting that so many of you are doing similar. Reading this thread actually emboldens me a little bit to possibly have a small percentage of it in something like Wellesley, while maybe shifting the rest the other way towards Vanguard short-term treasury.
Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:31 pm
In our 47 years of marriage, wife and I never had a problem that required immediate access to cash. All through the children's childhood illnesses, auto wrecks, broken/sprained limbs. Never needed it. Never had a car or home repair where cash was demanded.
Same here -- we've never actually needed immediate cash, it's always been OK to wait a couple days for the cash to show up in the account from Vanguard. (We've actually only ever used the emergency fund once anyway ... for a HVAC replacement that I was definitely not happy about.)

am

Post by am » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:01 pm

1st tier prime mm
2nd tier business federal mm
3rd tier inter muni vanguard fund
4th ibonds
5th tier taxable brokerage
6th tier roths
7th kids 529s
8th retirement accounts
9th tier sell house which is paid off

About 38 yrs of expenses assuming no growth and conservative life. Hope it never gets to the house :happy. After this excersise, maybe I should ditch my life here and run away to some island and work on a blog :D. Bogleheads would set me straight. How about health care, what about worse than Great Depression returns, what about...
Last edited by am on Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:07 pm

lvrpl wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:55 pm
Garfieldthecat wrote:

Is the interest in VSUXX subject to federal income tax? I currently have my emergency fund in VMSXX and am wondering if VSUXX might be better (I was in the 32% federal tax bracket this year, for what it's worth).
Only muni funds are exempt from federal tax. We are also in a similar situation. Our tax rate is very high for a short while, but is expected to drop down to a moderately high one soon. I am wondering whether there is any way to preserve the purchasing power with a cash-like investment in the mean time. The yields of muni funds are below the inflation rate. Is a I-bond the best option without accrued interest every year?

Garfieldthecat

Post by Garfieldthecat » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:13 pm

lvrpl wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:55 pm
Garfieldthecat wrote:

Federal tax yes.
State tax no.

furwut

Post by furwut » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:13 pm

Under my mattress.

sambb

Post by sambb » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:18 pm

in invest it in taxable. one of the worst decisions i have made, is to keep it in money market or CDs , wasted so much in gains. Now it is invested.

LivinGood

Post by LivinGood » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:22 pm

CIT 2.45%

dunkmachine

Post by dunkmachine » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:06 am

I somewhat follow a multi-tiered EF from the Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Emergency_fund

However, I do occasionally think I'm overthinking it to an extent.

Overall, I have 9 months of expenses in and emergency fund, consisting of:
  • 1 month in checking at local credit union
  • 3 months in HY savings account/11 month no penalty CD with Ally
  • 3 months in I-bonds
  • 2 months in Vanguard short-term treasury fund (VFISX)
I-bonds are earmarked for college expenses (in 16 years) and I don't expect to have to dip down into the ST treasuries. But this was a compromise with my wife. I was wanting just 6 months of expenses, she wanted 12 months in the EF. We both have Roth IRA's, but we don't consider it part of the EF.

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:02 am

I'm not convinced everyone needs an emergency fund. It's good advice to someone young, early in a career, with his first $5000, asking if that money should be put into a particular stock or even VTSAX. Someone with that level of resources should, of course, keep it in cash. Return is great, but the focus should be the money being there, not the marginal difference in return.

As for me? I have just about one year's expenses in Series I Bonds, some of which have a very low fixed rate. I have about a year's expenses in a bond fund in taxable (CA munis, due to my tax bracket). These are the first two places I would go if I needed money in what most would say constitutes an emergency. These are also part of my asset allocation, in the "conservative assets" category (bonds and similar).
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

MnD

Post by MnD » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:02 am

I don't know.
Maybe it's in the very good stable value fund in my TSP (govt 401-K) which is my most safe money.
Or maybe it's in my very liquid taxable brokerage account which is 100% international stock of several varieties.
Or maybe it's in another taxable brokerage account in t-bills which is planned to be pretty much spent down in the next 3-8 months on a camper and a home remodel. Or maybe an inherited IRA that's about 70/30 and has an RMD I haven't taken yet this year. Or maybe in the credit lines of my various reward credit cards - that's where the vast majority of my emergencies are initially funded from.

Bottom line money is fungible, I'm 70/30 for life with all of my accounts being included in my AA, equities global cap with the bulk of my fixed income is yielding ~3% with the rest yielding in-between 2.7% to 4.8%. If and when an emergency arises I'll very likely put it on a rewards credit card that I value use at 3% in travel cash back and pay it off in 28-55 days through cash flow before any interest in incurred. If cash flow isn't sufficient I'll supplement cash flow from one of numerous other accounts where it makes most sense at the time.
70/30 AA, Global market cap equities, TSP G and DODLX FI. Rebalance to AA if FI <25% or >35%. Weighted ER<= 0.10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.

InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:14 am

ReformedSpender wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:17 pm
Capital 360 though they are really slacking lately compared to yield of other online banks (IMO)

+1

i wonder if it's worthwhile chasing another 0.2-0.4%.
Garfieldthecat wrote:

does this fund have the potential of loss of principle?

pasadena

Post by pasadena » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:12 pm

- 20% in Ally Savings account
- 80% in Vanguard Prime MM

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:28 pm

In Windsor 2, 500 index, Wellington, and Wellesley. This is my taxable account.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

troutbum22

Post by troutbum22 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:34 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:41 pm
New to the forum and joined after reading this. 36 year old newbie and just set up a Vanguard account. Never thought about holding some in anything other than cash. Got a lot to learn, but thanks for the post. Makes sense to me to do something similar to this although I'm sure there are a lot of different options.

mrspock

Post by mrspock » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:49 pm

I don't have an emergency fund per se. I have 5 years of expenses in bonds at this point (@ 80/20), and I carry around $30k in cash at all times (in my regular bank account), so anything cataclysmic I can use my bonds, and anything else unexpected I can use cash. My bonds also throw off enough interest at this point that they could pay a very solid chunk of my absolute "must-pay" expenses each month.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:02 pm

troutbum22 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:34 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
New to the forum and joined after reading this. 36 year old newbie and just set up a Vanguard account. Never thought about holding some in anything other than cash. Got a lot to learn, but thanks for the post. Makes sense to me to do something similar to this although I'm sure there are a lot of different options.
Conventional wisdom says that a fund like Wellesley Income is not appropriate for an EF due to its 30% allocation to stocks. However, the worst single year in its history (2008) only saw it drop about 10%. The future could be different, but I'm comfortable with a little volatility in our EF. A 7% drop in our EF isn't likely to make or break us, and I suspect that the long-term returns of Wellesley will be at least keep pace with inflation.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:09 pm

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:30 pm
It took some time to accumulate enough of them due to the annual purchase limits, but now mine is in Series I Savings Bonds. They are included in my overall portfolio allocation, despite frequent advice here to the contrary. I own the totality of what I own.
PJW
Usually I do not assign any asset as our emergency fund; yet, we are retired and can not replace anything we sell off so we are selective.
I Bonds are our go to 1st step. Several years ago in an up market we needed to meet heavy emergency expenses so we drew from International and Total Stock. Eventually growth more than replaced the stock value. Now if needed, Int Treasury and Total Bond will be our first line emergency defense.
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

drk

Post by drk » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:13 pm

I keep my emergency fund in three places:

1. An allocation to Total Bond Market in my 401k
2. A small allocation to short-term Treasurys
3. Credit cards with 0% APRs through most of 2019

I just treat it as part of my portfolio.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:34 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:02 pm
troutbum22 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:34 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
Conventional wisdom says that a fund like Wellesley Income is not appropriate for an EF due to its 30% allocation to stocks. However, the worst single year in its history (2008) only saw it drop about 10%. The future could be different, but I'm comfortable with a little volatility in our EF. A 7% drop in our EF isn't likely to make or break us, and I suspect that the long-term returns of Wellesley will be at least keep pace with inflation.
It's perfectly OK, speaking mostly to OP, to keep such funds in a volatile asset, as long as you put in enough that you'll be fine even if it happens to be down when you need to use it. I would have suggested about 10% extra in a 40/60 fund, rounded to the nearest ten percent, even before finding out that was the biggest drop ever.

Keeping a little extra can cover a multitude of sins. :happy

PJW
Last edited by Phineas J. Whoopee on Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:46 pm

InvisibleAerobar wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:14 am
ReformedSpender wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:17 pm

+1

i wonder if it's worthwhile chasing another 0.2-0.4%.
Garfieldthecat wrote:

does this fund have the potential of loss of principle?
In general, retail money market funds do not. They maintain (an accounting fiction of) a constant $1.00 net asset value.

Vanguard's Treasury Money Market Fund, VUSXX, which I believe you're asking about, is as safe as they come, but it has a $50,000 minimum initial purchase. Their Federal Money Market Fund, VMFXX, is very safe, and it has a minimum of $3,000.

Neither has FDIC insurance, what with not being bank accounts, but the holdings of the first are backed by the full faith and credit of the United States, which is about as good as it gets. There's a credible argument it's better than FDIC insurance.

I would be fully comfortable owning either.

PJW

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:48 pm

siriusblack wrote:
My emergency fund is in the Vanguard Prime Money Market Fund (VMMXX). Very happy and zero regrets.

ame

Post by ame » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:00 pm

Ally savings account 2.2%.
Bank bonuses when they are available...next will be the Citi bank $500 (with DD) bonus...https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-400 ... -required/

student

Post by student » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:10 pm

High Yield Saving Accounts and CDs.

billyo44

Post by billyo44 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:56 pm

The best answer I have read on this subject was given by Taylor Larimore:

"I don't think it matters much whether we hold cash or a good-quality, low-cost, intermediate- or short-term bond fund. If very safe cash (including CDs) are chosen, we can increase our allocation to stocks for the same expected risk and return. If more risky bonds are chosen, we must reduce our stock allocation for the same expected risk and return. Either cash or bonds, if properly allocated, should do the job of providing safety (and income) for our portfolios".

My personal take is that it depends on your personal tax situation, risk tolerance/comfort level, and a low expense ratio. I personally use VFSUX but VUSXX makes a lot of sense as it is backed by Uncle Sam.
Independence = Financial assets working for you versus you working for them. | "Own an Index Fund, Get a Life Outside of Finance, and Relax"...John C. Bogle

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:58 pm

We get 2% in a basic savings account at the credit union.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:17 pm

lostdog wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:52 pm
Vanguard Federal Money Market. Brokerage sweep account.
+1
This works great as an emergency fund and it is an easy place to park some cash.

Short term treasury fund would be another good pick for another 0.2%. Warren Buffett suggests keeping one's bond portion in short-term treasuries for his 90/10 recommendation.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

ruhigste

Post by ruhigste » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:54 am

My money market fund at the Bank still offers close to zero interest. I'm planning to use our existing after-tax Prime Money Market fund as we continue to build our emergency fund. That's our priority now.

SurfCityBill

Post by SurfCityBill » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:10 am

Laddered CD at PenFed paying 2.75%. Planning to build out monthly so I'm never more than 1 month away from a portion. Some savings for less than 30 day emergencies.

Howie

Post by Howie » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:18 pm

Afty wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:21 pm
The amount >$10K. The dollars below that threshold receive a lower rate.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:24 pm

Howie wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:18 pm
Afty wrote:
They pay it on the entire balance so long as you have >=$10000

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:39 pm

Cap One 360.

Howie

Post by Howie » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:40 pm

Turbo29 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:24 pm
Howie wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:18 pm
Afty wrote:
They pay it on the entire balance so long as you have >=$10000
Thanks for the correction! Seems a decent rate for parking one's EF.