Quicken alternatives?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Da5id

Quicken alternatives?

Post by Da5id » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:47 pm

My Windows Quicken 2016 will go "end of life" in April 2019. Meaning no downloads of stock prices, no downloads of credit card info. I'm unexcited about the annual subscription cost/model, it doesn't seem worth it for my use case. My initial plan is to live with the disabled online functionality and keep using Quicken 2016. I own few funds, and can update their prices manually. I can keep an eye on my credit cards by other means.

There are a number of older threads on this topic. Any more recent updates from those who have left Quicken for greener pastures? Any alternatives out there? I prefer a local rather than cloud based solution.

Barsoom

Re: Quicken alternatives?

Post by Barsoom » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:50 pm

There is an open source program called GNUCash.

www.gnucash.org

-B

Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:16 pm

I am a Mac user. As I have posted before, I love Banktivity (formerly known as IBank), not terribly expensive program.

I also subscribe to the auto-connect (it's an option) and when I open up the program it automatically links to my banks and credit card accounts, populating the lines with updated data that is already coded as taxable or nontaxable and in categories (House Utilities; Travel Expenses; Professional Library; Groceries, etc.). It's very user-friendly and also customizable. My SO and I file Schedule Cs on both our businesses, so this makes it all very simple.

I use it for Taxes and Budgeting. I do not use it for investments, though that is an option. I don't look often at investments, and I have separate spreadsheets for those, which I update quarterly.
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso

azanon

Post by azanon » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:20 pm

I was unexcited about the annual subscription too, until I was honest to myself about why they did it. They're 2nd to none, and they know it. I'd recommend paying up.

Was 2016 the first time you used quicken? If not, and you bought versions before that, then why the issue with the annual subscription? I'd think of it as you always have the most updated version. That's a big advantage.

AstroJohn

Post by AstroJohn » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:27 pm

Gnucash has a pretty steep learning curve, but does a good job once you master it.

Moneydance is the best alternative to Quicken I have found. Works great on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Reasonable cost and upgrade cycle, and so far no talk of an annual subscription approach.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:33 pm

Rus In Urbe wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:16 pm
I am a Mac user. As I have posted before, I love Banktivity (formerly known as IBank), not terribly expensive program.
The OP stated that they were using Windows so unless Banktivity has ported to Windows or you are suggesting that he buy a new computer, not actionable!

I gave up on Quicken some years ago, I first used it about 20 years ago but my needs were always quite simple, keep track of credit card and investment accounts.

I use the MS Money Sunset edition, it is free and downloads all my data.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

Pigeye Brewster

Post by Pigeye Brewster » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:28 pm

TheGreyingDuke wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:33 pm

Me too.

Topic Author
Da5id

Post by Da5id » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:56 pm

azanon wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:20 pm
I was unexcited about the annual subscription too, until I was honest to myself about why they did it. They're 2nd to none, and they know it. I'd recommend paying up.

Was 2016 the first time you used quicken? If not, and you bought versions before that, then why the issue with the annual subscription? I'd think of it as you always have the most updated version. That's a big advantage.
I've had Quicken since 2000. I found they rarely added functionality I wanted or needed, and I was accordingly peeved when they went to the "downloading quotes stops working after 3 years" business model. Other than bug fixes (and Quicken used to be quite stable) I don't want to be forced into updates unless they add compelling functionality. Heck, I'm still using Office 2007, I find it suits me fine. I don't generally believe in updating software that is serving its purpose. It may be fighting against the tide, but I prefer buying software to renting it.

Topic Author
Da5id

Post by Da5id » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:01 pm

Pigeye Brewster wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:28 pm
TheGreyingDuke wrote:

Me too.
Looking at the Microsoft site, it doesn't list Windows 10 as supported. Is it? Something I read elsewhere said it didn't do stock quotes and such. If not, how would it be better than me just sticking with Quicken 2016 and manually entering stock prices?

TierArtz

Post by TierArtz » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:20 am

Just subscribe to Quicken and be happy. I'm very happy with it.

targ

Post by targ » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:43 am

AstroJohn wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:27 pm
Gnucash has a pretty steep learning curve, but does a good job once you master it.

Moneydance is the best alternative to Quicken I have found. Works great on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Reasonable cost and upgrade cycle, and so far no talk of an annual subscription approach.
Ditto on GnuCash. And it's more of a "checkbook" interface than what I consider a Quicken-like tool. But I've only dabbled in it off and on over the years so my knowledge is limited.

+bazillion on MoneyDance. Been using it (on multiple platforms) since I dumped Quicken in the late 90s.

Search the forum for either GnuCash or MoneyDance and you've find several discussions about them as alternatives to Quicken.
The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ

Strayshot

Post by Strayshot » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:16 am

There are many threads in the forum on this, at the top right of your browser screen there is a search bar try typing in “quicken” and start browsing through them.

azanon

Post by azanon » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:21 am

Da5id wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:56 pm
azanon wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:20 pm

I've had Quicken since 2000. I found they rarely added functionality I wanted or needed, and I was accordingly peeved when they went to the "downloading quotes stops working after 3 years" business model. Other than bug fixes (and Quicken used to be quite stable) I don't want to be forced into updates unless they add compelling functionality. Heck, I'm still using Office 2007, I find it suits me fine. I don't generally believe in updating software that is serving its purpose. It may be fighting against the tide, but I prefer buying software to renting it.
My quicken data (and usage) goes back to 1996. Just not losing the history of my data is enough for them to keep me. I think it's cool that I actually know exactly what my IRR portfolio return has been for my entire working career, for example. If i migrated to a new system, that history is just not going to carry over.

I upgraded every 3 years or so back in those days, but I would see new features come out as my version aged. I can definitely see the logic and efficiency behind having one living version instead of them having to divide QC/QA resources behind making sure that multiple versions work correctly. I imagine at one point, they had 15 or so different years of quickens that they had to make sure worked correctly. I'm surprised they kept that up as long as they did. So I don't necessarily jump to assuming it's just some sinister ploy to make as much money from me as possible. Maybe I'm naive, but I think they also want to give me a better experience too.

Topic Author
Da5id

Post by Da5id » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:30 am

Strayshot wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:16 am
There are many threads in the forum on this, at the top right of your browser screen there is a search bar try typing in “quicken” and start browsing through them.
I did this first, was just looking for any updated opinions from people. Things change out there

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:33 am

Da5id wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:01 pm
Pigeye Brewster wrote:
TheGreyingDuke wrote:

Me too.
Looking at the Microsoft site, it doesn't list Windows 10 as supported. Is it? Something I read elsewhere said it didn't do stock quotes and such. If not, how would it be better than me just sticking with Quicken 2016 and manually entering stock prices?
Money Sunset works fine on Windows 10.
Here is a solution for automatically getting quotes for Money Sunset: https://gaiersoftware.com/Money

Topic Author
Da5id

Post by Da5id » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:36 am

azanon wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:21 am
My quicken data (and usage) goes back to 1996. Just not losing the history of my data is enough for them to keep me. I think it's cool that I actually know exactly what my IRR portfolio return has been for my entire working career, for example. If i migrated to a new system, that history is just not going to carry over.

I upgraded every 3 years or so back in those days, but I would see new features come out as my version aged. I can definitely see the logic and efficiency behind having one living version instead of them having to divide QC/QA resources behind making sure that multiple versions work correctly. I imagine at one point, they had 15 or so different years of quickens that they had to make sure worked correctly. I'm surprised they kept that up as long as they did. So I don't necessarily jump to assuming it's just some sinister ploy to make as much money from me as possible. Maybe I'm naive, but I think they also want to give me a better experience too.
My data goes back to 2000, but don't feel passionate about it. Moneydance can import QIF files exported from quicken, and has a 90 day money back guarantee, may play with it. I may also decide that I don't need the online functionality all that much and stick with Quicken 2016.

I understand not supporting lots of versions, I develop (or developed, I'm semi-retired until bored) software for a living and had to produce patches for a large number of deployed versions of our product. But I am kind of cynical about their motivations anyway. I understand for actual account access (credit cards, whatever) they insist on a "modern" updated version for security reasons. But for downloading stock quotes, which needs no security and is probably just pulling CSV data or such, I think that is just a money grab. Really easy to have versioned data you pull if they want to change the format.

targ

Post by targ » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:08 am

Da5id wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:36 am
...My data goes back to 2000, but don't feel passionate about it. Moneydance can import QIF files exported from quicken, and has a 90 day money back guarantee, may play with it. I may also decide that I don't need the online functionality all that much and stick with Quicken 2016. ...
I have not tried this in a very, very, long time, but my experience with trying to import my Quicken data into MoneyDance was a disaster. Granted this was way back around 2000 and MD has come a long way since, but, Quicken and MD are fundamentally different* so it was going to be a significant effort to convert my data. So significant that I just started fresh in MD. I did keep all my old Quicken data files and installer files. I even keep around a virtual windows 2k machine with those old Quicken files so I can go back for historical info if needed.

*MD is a true double-entry accounting system. Quicken is not - or at least it wasn't back then, no idea if they ever changed. Because of that, it was going to take a ton of work to create all the required accounts in MD to make the double-entry system work. Perhaps it's better now. If you do try it, please report back and let us know. If you have a positive experience, I may try to import my long lost data again.
The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ

exigent

Post by exigent » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:29 am

Moneydance.

acegolfer

Post by acegolfer » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:39 am

targ wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:43 am
+bazillion on MoneyDance. Been using it (on multiple platforms) since I dumped Quicken in the late 90s.

Search the forum for either GnuCash or MoneyDance and you've find several discussions about them as alternatives to Quicken.
exigent wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:29 am
Moneydance.
AstroJohn wrote:
Can anyone confirm Moneydance auto-downloads transaction data from Ally Bank? It doesn't seem to.

acegolfer

Post by acegolfer » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:44 am

TheGreyingDuke wrote:

Pigeye Brewster wrote:

Me too.
Question on Money Sunset, which no longer supports online quotes.

Suppose I recorded ABC stock transaction data on 12/31/2018 and 3/31/2019. On 12/31/2018, price was $100 and on 3/31/2019 ABC = $110. Will the report use $100 or $110 to calculate the portfolio value on 12/31/2018?
Last edited by acegolfer on Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

targ

Post by targ » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:47 am

acegolfer wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:39 am
Can anyone confirm Moneydance auto-downloads transaction data from Ally Bank? It doesn't seem to.
I don't think it does. Here's the list of supported banks:
https://infinitekind.com/fi

And a support article:
https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/o ... -downloads

But, for me, I never understood why anyone even wanted that ability. I much prefer entering the data myself so that I understand what's going on. With auto downloads/imports, I'd be depending on the downloaded data to have correct and consistent categories every single time.

Pigeye Brewster

Post by Pigeye Brewster » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:00 am

acegolfer wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:44 am
TheGreyingDuke wrote:

Pigeye Brewster wrote:

Me too.
Question on Money Sunset, which no longer supports online quotes.

Suppose I recorded ABC stock transaction data on 12/31/2018 and 3/31/2019. On 12/31/2018, price was $100 and on 3/31/2019 ABC = $110. Will the report use $100 or $110 to calculate the portfolio value on 12/31/2018?
In your example, for a report as of 12/31/2018 Money would use $100. Money uses either the price for the as of date of the report, if available, or the most recent price prior to the as of date. So if the only prices you have entered in Money are $100 and $110, any date prior to 3/31/2019 would show $100 and 3/31/2019 would show $110.

I enter prices manually. It doesn't take long since I don't have that many holdings.

acegolfer

Post by acegolfer » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:05 am

Pigeye Brewster wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:00 am
In your example, for a report as of 12/31/2018 Money would use $100. Money uses either the price for the as of date of the report, if available, or the most recent price prior to the as of date. So if the only prices you have entered in Money are $100 and $110, any date prior to 3/31/2019 would show $100 and 3/31/2019 would show $110.

I enter prices manually. It doesn't take long since I don't have that many holdings.
TY. This is also how quicken (offline) does. I was concerned that the previous portfolio values would change, if I entered a new transaction.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:11 am

Da5id wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:47 pm
My Windows Quicken 2016 will go "end of life" in April 2019. Meaning no downloads of stock prices, no downloads of credit card info. I'm unexcited about the annual subscription cost/model, it doesn't seem worth it for my use case. My initial plan is to live with the disabled online functionality and keep using Quicken 2016. I own few funds, and can update their prices manually. I can keep an eye on my credit cards by other means.

There are a number of older threads on this topic. Any more recent updates from those who have left Quicken for greener pastures? Any alternatives out there? I prefer a local rather than cloud based solution.
Consider buying Quicken 2017- not the online version but the CD-ROM- you can often find it at a good price on eBay.
It does not require a subscription or time out, as long as you are OK with entering data manually.

That is what I did when I got a new computer and my Quicken 2010 did not work on it for some reason. It works fine and you can import all your data from your older versions of Quicken.

I prefer entering data manually because it forces you to be on top of your finances.

(from one Snowcrash fan to another....)

acegolfer

Post by acegolfer » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:18 am

protagonist wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:11 am
Consider buying Quicken 2017- not the online version but the CD-ROM- you can often find it at a good price on eBay.
It does not require a subscription or time out, as long as you are OK with entering data manually.

That is what I did when I got a new computer and my Quicken 2010 did not work on it for some reason. It works fine and you can import all your data from your older versions of Quicken.

I prefer entering data manually because it forces you to be on top of your finances.

What's the benefit of (offline) 2017 over (offline) 2016?

(AFAIK, 2016 will continue to work offline.)

acegolfer

Post by acegolfer » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:32 am

Da5id wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:01 pm
Pigeye Brewster wrote:
TheGreyingDuke wrote:

Me too.
https://community.quicken.com/discussio ... d-business

Ppl say it runs on Win10. This site also has some insightful comparison between quicken vs money plus.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:12 am

acegolfer wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:18 am
protagonist wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:11 am

What's the benefit of (offline) 2017 over (offline) 2016?

(AFAIK, 2016 will continue to work offline.)
Probably none. I didn't know that your online version would continue working offline and that you needed a subscription. My issue was that, when I got my new computer and tried transferring my data from my 2010 version onto my new computer, for some reason it would not work, but by loading the 2017 version onto my computer it worked. Maybe my old software was corrupted.

If your 2016 version works fine offline, and if you are happy not having online features (I am- in fact I don't really like having all my financial data floating around in the cloud), then you should be OK with what you have.

I no longer use Quicken to track stock performance. All my equities are in a Fidelity index fund, and Fidelity tracks them nicely on their webpage. I imagine Vanguard would do the same. You may not need that feature either.

acegolfer

Post by acegolfer » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:35 am

protagonist wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:12 am
If your 2016 version works fine offline, and if you are happy not having online features (I am- in fact I don't really like having all my financial data floating around in the cloud), then you should be OK with what you have.
I'm mostly fine with the offline 2016. 3 things that I don't like about quicken:
1. constant pop-ups asking for upgrading (I selected never to remind but still it continually pops up).
2. my data are held hostage to quicken. (can't export to CSV natively)
3. in future windows/mac edition, 2016 may no longer work

For now, I have several options (paying $ is not an option for me):
1. continue using offline 2016.
2. move transaction data to Money Plus Sunset Deluxe, which has the same functions as offline quicken + more
3. move transaction data to spreadsheet. Program to generate the 4-5 reports that I need for any given date (I started another thread about this but nobody has done what I want. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=277132)

masterofinvesting

Post by masterofinvesting » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:01 pm

targ wrote:
AstroJohn wrote:

Ditto on GnuCash. And it's more of a "checkbook" interface than what I consider a Quicken-like tool. But I've only dabbled in it off and on over the years so my knowledge is limited.

Strongly disagree on GnuCash. I've been using it to track bank accounts, investments, I-Bonds, real-estate etc., I haven't come across anything it cannot track. It has a very straightforward accounting model ("double entry accounting") which keeps your accounting honest - i.e., *every* transaction is a transfer from one account to another and money never appears or disappears from/to nowhere (which tools like Quicken isn't strict about).

To me, the most important plus point about Gnucash is the fact that it is open-source and uses a variety of *open* data formats (you can encrypt the data if you want to) which means your own data can never be held hostage or lost. You won't get this transparency with Quicken. I am not sure about Money Dance.

Sure, it has a learning curve, but it is quite fun to use once you've mastered it (especially because the data is stored in an open format). Its even more fun if you have a programming background as you can potentially add to the software by creating new reports, run data analysis on your financial history etc.,

Please see here for more information: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/GnuCash

I managed to convert 20-years of Quicken history into GnuCash and never looked back.

Mursili

Post by Mursili » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:25 pm

masterofinvesting wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:01 pm
Strongly disagree on GnuCash. I've been using it to track bank accounts, investments, I-Bonds, real-estate etc., I haven't come across anything it cannot track.

I managed to convert 20-years of Quicken history into GnuCash and never looked back.
I have been using gnucash for well over a decade - since Quicken long ago convinced me I did not have enough control over my information. However, I never even thought that I could transfer my Quicken information into gnucash. Any more, I keep track of things for five-year increments. Next year, I will start another file. I have found that I invest better when I try to pay attention to what is ahead of me instead of what is behind me. (I think I learned this from my time on a motorcycle.)
When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:05 pm

acegolfer wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:35 am

I'm mostly fine with the offline 2016. 3 things that I don't like about quicken:
1. constant pop-ups asking for upgrading (I selected never to remind but still it continually pops up).
2. my data are held hostage to quicken. (can't export to CSV natively)
3. in future windows/mac edition, 2016 may no longer work

For now, I have several options (paying $ is not an option for me):
1. continue using offline 2016.
2. move transaction data to Money Plus Sunset Deluxe, which has the same functions as offline quicken + more
3. move transaction data to spreadsheet. Program to generate the 4-5 reports that I need for any given date (I started another thread about this but nobody has done what I want. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=277132)
I agree with all the above. I don't recall a lot of popups with my 2017 edition but I never went online with it and I don't recall, but if they asked me for demographic information I probably made it all up like I always do.

I'm resigned to the fact that if I lose all my Quicken data going well back into the 1990s I will be fine without it. I figure 2017 should probably work for several years, and if it ever ceases to do so, some enterprising young coder will develop a program that will import the data and probably offer it free.

exigent

Post by exigent » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:32 am

acegolfer wrote:
targ wrote:

exigent wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:29 am
Moneydance.
AstroJohn wrote:
Sorry, I don’t use auto-downloads. Instead, I enter and balance everything manually. Old habits die hard, I guess. But it really helps with staying in touch with our money. Someone else posted a link to supported banks, though, and it looked like Ally isn’t included. If true, that’s unfortunate since it’s such a popular option around here.

Topic Author
Da5id

Post by Da5id » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:22 am

Been doing manual updates of NAV for a while now that my auto updates went EOL. Not really that burdensome. As a bogleheads side benefit, I used to be in the habit of updating investments whenever I opened quicken to enter a transaction. I now update investments at most weekly, mostly to see if re-balancing may have become needed (rarely the case obviously). Less looking at investments, all good :) And I only have to update 5 things manually, not exactly a big hassle. Seems like overall a fine place to be for me for now.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:02 am

Da5id wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:22 am
Been doing manual updates of NAV for a while now that my auto updates went EOL. Not really that burdensome. As a bogleheads side benefit, I used to be in the habit of updating investments whenever I opened quicken to enter a transaction. I now update investments at most weekly, mostly to see if re-balancing may have become needed (rarely the case obviously). Less looking at investments, all good :) And I only have to update 5 things manually, not exactly a big hassle. Seems like overall a fine place to be for me for now.
I just want to clarify. Was the option to "Update Quotes Only" disabled?

Cheers

teniralc

Post by teniralc » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:17 am

targ wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:47 am
acegolfer wrote:
I don't think it does. Here's the list of supported banks:
https://infinitekind.com/fi

And a support article:
https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/o ... -downloads

But, for me, I never understood why anyone even wanted that ability. I much prefer entering the data myself so that I understand what's going on. With auto downloads/imports, I'd be depending on the downloaded data to have correct and consistent categories every single time.
I use Moneydance. I download the transactions for each credit card and for our checking account. I then go through the categories one by one, transaction by transaction and if Moneydance gets the categorization wrong, I correct it. The process doesn't take too long and lets me go through the transactions one by one. The inconsistencies of Moneydance (like calling a category an ATM withdrawal when it is not) are actually helpful in that they keep me paying attention as I go through the categories.

I mainly use the program to accumulate tax deduction data for the accountant at tax time and then to get an overview of spending habits. It can do more but I just haven't explored those features much.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:00 pm

Da5id wrote:
Same here. If it works, don't fix it. Don't succumb to the corporate subscription-model money-grab.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:12 pm

I forget what Quicken costs annually. There are certain things that are more valuable than their price: smart phones, fast Ethernet, excellent Wi-Fi, and Quicken among them. If it came down to not wanting to pay for Quicken, I’d get a job.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:52 am

Da5id wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:47 pm
My Windows Quicken 2016 will go "end of life" in April 2019. Meaning no downloads of stock prices, no downloads of credit card info. I'm unexcited about the annual subscription cost/model, it doesn't seem worth it for my use case. ...
Have you read the details of the new license model? It's not a lot different than the old one, in terms of continuing the enter transactions manually after the subscription expires.

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:56 am

A limitation I experienced with MoneyDance: my primary checking account is a CMA with Fidelity. MoneyDance would not support treatment as a checking account. In correspondence about that, the developer seemed disinterested.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:33 am

spammagnet wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:56 am
A limitation I experienced with MoneyDance: my primary checking account is a CMA with Fidelity. MoneyDance would not support treatment as a checking account. In correspondence about that, the developer seemed disinterested.
Other than showing up in the Investments heading on the sideboard rather than Bank heading, I don't see any issues. You still have download capability, a bank register view, plus the necessary investment tracking capabilities so that you can track brokerage holdings within the account, which is very common. For example, you might hold a treasury bond fund or state-specific tax-advantaged fund in the account to stash your cash, rather than receive Fido's paltry banking interest. Yes, it's a few more moving parts, but it's appropriate for a CMA account. IMO, YMMV, and all that. :beer
One cannot enlighten the unconscious.

Topic Author
Da5id

Post by Da5id » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:17 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:12 pm
I forget what Quicken costs annually. There are certain things that are more valuable than their price: smart phones, fast Ethernet, excellent Wi-Fi, and Quicken among them. If it came down to not wanting to pay for Quicken, I’d get a job.
I'd insert "to me" in your statement above after the word "valuable". Quicken is somewhat valuable to me, mind you. Online updates aren't valuable to me, as evidenced by the fact that I've not missed them once gone. At this point I realize I'd not spend $1 on those updates, I'm actually better off without them. On the other hand, I spend money on things that ARE valuable to me, some of which overlap with yours as it turns out. I also spend money pretty freely on vacations, fam is going to Kauai and Hawaii this summer.

Topic Author
Da5id

Post by Da5id » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:19 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:02 am
Da5id wrote:
I just want to clarify. Was the option to "Update Quotes Only" disabled?

Cheers
From Quicken's site, this is what you lose:
On the corresponding date for your Quicken product, these connected services will expire and be discontinued:

Online bill pay
Downloading and/or importing financial data
Downloading stock quotes, news headlines and other financial information into Quicken
Uploading portfolio information from Quicken to Quicken.com
Live Support
Software patches and updates

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:46 pm

Da5id wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:17 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:12 pm
I'd insert "to me" in your statement above after the word "valuable". Quicken is somewhat valuable to me, mind you. Online updates aren't valuable to me, as evidenced by the fact that I've not missed them once gone. At this point I realize I'd not spend $1 on those updates, I'm actually better off without them. On the other hand, I spend money on things that ARE valuable to me, some of which overlap with yours as it turns out. I also spend money pretty freely on vacations, fam is going to Kauai and Hawaii this summer.
It’s a fair point. The closest I have come to Hawaii is the Kona coffee I drink every morning 😁.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

chasingbutterflies

Post by chasingbutterflies » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:10 pm

I'm on Quicken 2015 for Mac. The only think I've missed is the automatic price updates. I've been manually entering them once a week and they update whenever I enter a transaction. I've always been a manual updater and so losing the support really didn't bother me. I've had to open 2 accounts since I lost support. Each time I got a screen saying 'oh no!', but I just clicked past it and put everything in. No issues. I kind of like sitting down and running through my accounts and updating everything, I feel pretty on top of what I'm doing. Mind you I don't particularly like the Quicken for Mac, far worse than for Windows. However I've figured out workarounds or alternatives for what it can't do. The only time it's really a headache is when I put in a backdoor roth contribution. I have 20 years of data and wasn't about to lose it.

amitb00

Post by amitb00 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:12 pm

I have switched to Personal Capital. They are free and connect better to many institutions.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:05 am

I decided to stick with Quicken. The new ownership is doing a wonderful job. The software is super stable and useful for me.
Total World Stock and Total World Bond. The simple two fund diversified portfolio. "The burden of proof should be on the active bet, not the global market cap." -jhfenton

cribby1531

Post by cribby1531 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:33 am

Barsoom wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:50 pm
There is an open source program called GNUCash.

www.gnucash.org

-B
We use GNUCash for business and personal. It's great once you learn it.

Markwhy

Post by Markwhy » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:09 pm

I've tried everything possible to get myself off of Quicken Mac 2007 for many years, since none of the later Quicken Mac versions were worth migrating to. Everything I tried disappointed me and drove me back to QM 2007 ... until I finally tried SEE Finance. Finally! It does everything I want, is pretty easy to get used to and it migrated by 19 years of Quicken data almost flawlessly. Their customer support is great and they welcome suggestions for feature additions and improvements.

I think they have a free trial version and the App is available in the Mac App Store for those of you who want to reduce your exposure to 3rd-party malware intrusion risks. It's also available directly from their website.

I see some App Store reviews that claim they liked the original version 1 better than version 2. I bought mine about 3 months before version 2 came out and I like the new version better.