Negotiating DayCare Fees

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Thegame14

Negotiating DayCare Fees

Post by Thegame14 »

DW is due with Baby #2 in 2 weeks. Baby 1 is almost 4 and already in daycare. We have him at a daycare near DW job so it is easier for her to pick him up and avoid late fees, plus we found a daycare that was just opening that we liked a lot and gave us a $300 per month discount for baby#1 for the entirety of his stay at this daycare, so baby #1 is set.

Now Baby #2 , daycare for baby#1 has increased prices about 30% since baby1 started, and will give us zero discounts since baby #1 already has such a nice discount. They want to charge almost $1,700 a month for baby#2

We decided I would take baby#2 to daycare and have found a place near my job that we like, and best part is the hours are until 6:30 so I can work til 6:15 and still get baby #2 without late fees. Many daycares are only open until 6. They are offering a promotion of 2 weeks free, but that isn't much, and their fee is $1,485 a month, still cheaper than other daycare, but still a big hit. Their baby room only has 2 babies and lots of empty cribs so they have the capacity, and when I visited, one person I talked to I mentioned that cost was an issue, and she said talk to them, they should be able to "work with me", but I have no idea what that means.

I am thinking of following up with the person I met who gave me her card, and saying something like, Thank you for taking the time to meet with my wife and I. We really enjoyed touring and hearing about your facility and feel comfortable with the care you would be giving our child, however price remains a concern, we would be happy to sign up if you can agree to a monthly price of ______. I am thinking they probably wont go lower than$1,400 but maybe start a little lower, and see if they are willing to play ball, or do you think the price is pretty static?
Rupert

Re: Negotiating DayCare Fees

Post by Rupert »

Would you get a family discount if you enrolled child #1 at the same facility? That's pretty common at daycares in my city.
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

Rupert wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:17 pm Would you get a family discount if you enrolled child #1 at the same facility? That's pretty common at daycares in my city.
daycare 2 would give us a discount for having both children there, but child #1 is already getting such a good deal, their discount wouldn't be better than his current daycare being $300 off the old prices. He currently is $1,050 a month, including organic GMO free food made on site.
JGoneRiding

Post by JGoneRiding »

Never hurts to ask.

I want to say thank you for posting. Been feeling the pinch in budget that number 2 is going to cost about $1100/mos including his health insurance. If I had to pay what you are we would have had no choice but to stop at 1 :(
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

JGoneRiding wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:27 pm Never hurts to ask.

I want to say thank you for posting. Been feeling the pinch in budget that number 2 is going to cost about $1100/mos including his health insurance. If I had to pay what you are we would have had no choice but to stop at 1 :(
yeah, so far we are lucky that daycare one is "only" $1,050 a month, trying to keep the two daycares to no more than $2,500 but going to be difficult. Plus my town is one of the last few to NOT have full day kindergarten so we may now be stuck with an extra year of two kids in daycare, we were hoping by now the town would have voted it in, and then we would only have 2 in daycare for about 15 months, but not looking like it right now. I am taking on a second job to help offset the costs, and I already work a lot. I have friends who their daycare is over $3,000 a month. The worst part is the federal deduction is like $600 max credit, when I will be paying $30,000. It should be a tax deduction or a much larger tax deduction than it is.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

My kids daycare has a waiting list at least a year out. They raised prices because the my can.

Never hurts to ask.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

I'm paying $1,214/mo for a 2.5 yo and the facility has a waitlist. There would be no negotiation; they'd just say no thanks and call the next one down.
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

daycare 1 used to be start at #1,300 a month, but that was when they were empty, now that they are full and have a waiting list, price has gone up to $1,650. This second daycare only had 2 babies in the baby room, and their ratio is 4-1, so I am thinking they may be willing to negotiate as they aren't full and have no waiting list.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Both rates and openings are very area specific around the country - comparing rates without location will give you little value.
If the place is new and it passes your quality test (more important than price) the owner will have a base price list that they will not go below during the ramp up phase. Talking to the decision maker when there is no other distraction or topics is the best way to learn what that base price might be.
Do not be surprised if rates rise higher than normal in a second year of a new child care center start up.
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

smitcat wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:52 pm Both rates and openings are very area specific around the country - comparing rates without location will give you little value.
If the place is new and it passes your quality test (more important than price) the owner will have a base price list that they will not go below during the ramp up phase. Talking to the decision maker when there is no other distraction or topics is the best way to learn what that base price might be.
Do not be surprised if rates rise higher than normal in a second year of a new child care center start up.
That is what happened at child #1 daycare, costs were lower when they opened and as soon as they were full price went up $200 a month. This second daycare has been open she said for like 15 years, so it isn't new, and no waiting list, only 2 infants so they have plenty of room to add more, that is the basis of my thinking that they would negotiate, plus the one person when I went said they will work with you, when I mentioned the cost.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Thegame14 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:41 pm
JGoneRiding wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:27 pm Never hurts to ask.

yeah, so far we are lucky that daycare one is "only" $1,050 a month, trying to keep the two daycares to no more than $2,500 but going to be difficult. Plus my town is one of the last few to NOT have full day kindergarten so we may now be stuck with an extra year of two kids in daycare, we were hoping by now the town would have voted it in, and then we would only have 2 in daycare for about 15 months, but not looking like it right now. I am taking on a second job to help offset the costs, and I already work a lot. I have friends who their daycare is over $3,000 a month. The worst part is the federal deduction is like $600 max credit, when I will be paying $30,000. It should be a tax deduction or a much larger tax deduction than it is.
We were paying $1100/month for our 3yr old at a horrible daycare facility, where we would often show up and nobody would be there. Or we'd come to pick them up and nobody there was familiar; nobody who could speak English and often times nobody over the age of 18. Instead of reporting the facility, we pulled our son out and now my MIL watches him at our home (along with my niece and nephew)...she's amazing, when she shows up. For one reason or another she doesn't show up about 1/3 of the time (I am home today with him for the 3rd time this week); fortunately wife and I have a lot of flexibility to work remotely. We pay her $1200/month plus cover the cost of food for all 3 kids (she charges my SIL $0), and our utilities have about tripled. My employer has a great on-site facility, but the cost is based upon your salary so I'd be in the top tier (~$1900/month). When it comes to daycare, there is no easy answer. It would be a whole lot easier if my wife would be willing to be a SAHM for a few years, but she is super type-A career driven. We just keep thinking, just a few more years.

There isn't a single full-day kindergarten in our entire county. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

8foot7 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:47 pm I'm paying $1,214/mo for a 2.5 yo and the facility has a waitlist. There would be no negotiation; they'd just say no thanks and call the next one down.
Same situation here. Most daycare facilities in my area have waiting lists so long that if you get on them when you first find out you are expecting you are unlikely to get off before the child's first birthday. We pay about the same, and I'm frankly glad they haven't increased fees by 30%+, because they could probably still fill the place without problem.
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

Never heard of daycares negotiating prices. Parents talk to each other and you could bet they would demand the same price if word got out. That said, can't hurt to try. I think your approach is about the best you can do (although it's pretty obvious from what you wrote that you have no leverage from which to negotiate).
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

alfaspider wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:00 pm
8foot7 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:47 pm I'm paying $1,214/mo for a 2.5 yo and the facility has a waitlist. There would be no negotiation; they'd just say no thanks and call the next one down.
Same situation here. Most daycare facilities in my area have waiting lists so long that if you get on them when you first find out you are expecting you are unlikely to get off before the child's first birthday. We pay about the same, and I'm frankly glad they haven't increased fees by 30%+, because they could probably still fill the place without problem.
luckily we have them popping up all over, my town currently has two more under construction so we are thinking maybe one of them will have an grand opening discount that we can jump on. Wife makes $60K plus bonus and her health insurance is $40 a month for family coverage and she doesn't want to stay home. Also even if there is a SAHM, they have to start a career over again years later, so not always a great option even if it works short term.
megabad

Post by megabad »

Thegame14 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:11 pm DW is due with Baby #2 in 2 weeks. Baby 1 is almost 4 and already in daycare. We have him at a daycare near DW job so it is easier for her to pick him up and avoid late fees, plus we found a daycare that was just opening that we liked a lot and gave us a $300 per month discount for baby#1 for the entirety of his stay at this daycare, so baby #1 is set.

Now Baby #2 , daycare for baby#1 has increased prices about 30% since baby1 started, and will give us zero discounts since baby #1 already has such a nice discount. They want to charge almost $1,700 a month for baby#2

We decided I would take baby#2 to daycare and have found a place near my job that we like, and best part is the hours are until 6:30 so I can work til 6:15 and still get baby #2 without late fees. Many daycares are only open until 6. They are offering a promotion of 2 weeks free, but that isn't much, and their fee is $1,485 a month, still cheaper than other daycare, but still a big hit. Their baby room only has 2 babies and lots of empty cribs so they have the capacity, and when I visited, one person I talked to I mentioned that cost was an issue, and she said talk to them, they should be able to "work with me", but I have no idea what that means.

I am thinking of following up with the person I met who gave me her card, and saying something like, Thank you for taking the time to meet with my wife and I. We really enjoyed touring and hearing about your facility and feel comfortable with the care you would be giving our child, however price remains a concern, we would be happy to sign up if you can agree to a monthly price of ______. I am thinking they probably wont go lower than$1,400 but maybe start a little lower, and see if they are willing to play ball, or do you think the price is pretty static?
Everything is negotiable. Go at a non-busy time (ie. right after lunch aka naptime) and talk to the highest level person at the facility. Shoot the breeze for a while, be super nice. Then sneak in an inquiry about if there is an official family discount if you brought in the other child. If so, then ask for the net total charge for both (weekly or monthly however they do it). Then make the ssssssssss sound and scrunch up your face giving the impression that they are close (on cost) but darn that is just a little too much. Gosh is there anything you can do, I love the facility but that I think that might push the budget a little too much. If all else fails, whip out the spouse card. Geez I don't know, that is more than I thought, I am gonna have to talk this over with the spouse and turn your whole body toward the door and slow walk as if you were in a Die Hard movie explosion scene.

Seriously, I think you can get them down initially if there is no waiting list. If there is a waiting list, you're done.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Thegame14 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:12 pm
alfaspider wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:00 pm
luckily we have them popping up all over, my town currently has two more under construction so we are thinking maybe one of them will have an grand opening discount that we can jump on. Wife makes $60K plus bonus and her health insurance is $40 a month for family coverage and she doesn't want to stay home. Also even if there is a SAHM, they have to start a career over again years later, so not always a great option even if it works short term.
Don't assume a lot of daycare construction means that there are a lot of slots available. They opening new facilities in my area too. We called one that wasn't even open yet and were told they aren't even accepting people onto the wait list anymore.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

megabad wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:55 pm
Thegame14 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:11 pm DW is due with Baby #2 in 2 weeks. Baby 1 is almost 4 and already in daycare. We have him at a daycare near DW job so it is easier for her to pick him up and avoid late fees, plus we found a daycare that was just opening that we liked a lot and gave us a $300 per month discount for baby#1 for the entirety of his stay at this daycare, so baby #1 is set.

Everything is negotiable. Go at a non-busy time (ie. right after lunch aka naptime) and talk to the highest level person at the facility. Shoot the breeze for a while, be super nice. Then sneak in an inquiry about if there is an official family discount if you brought in the other child. If so, then ask for the net total charge for both (weekly or monthly however they do it). Then make the ssssssssss sound and scrunch up your face giving the impression that they are close (on cost) but darn that is just a little too much. Gosh is there anything you can do, I love the facility but that I think that might push the budget a little too much. If all else fails, whip out the spouse card. Geez I don't know, that is more than I thought, I am gonna have to talk this over with the spouse and turn your whole body toward the door and slow walk as if you were in a Die Hard movie explosion scene.

Seriously, I think you can get them down initially if there is no waiting list. If there is a waiting list, you're done.
We had previous success negotiating a 10% discount if we paid for 6-months upfront. This worked great for us until the owner of the facility we had used for 3+ years got divorced and things became a mess literally overnight. When we pulled our son out we still had 4.5 months left we had paid for and had to get a lawyer involved and threaten calling licensing to get most of the remaining balance back.
simas

Post by simas »

you can ask for anything you want. it does not hurt being nice either, without being too manipulative freak - that could easily have an opposite effect.

whether they accept would depend heavily on supply and demand , and policies they have.
in our area (Chicago), anything good has a waiting list to get on and people stay with very good , reliable providers until kids grow out of it to go to public school.
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

simas wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:32 pm you can ask for anything you want. it does not hurt being nice either, without being too manipulative freak - that could easily have an opposite effect.

whether they accept would depend heavily on supply and demand , and policies they have.
in our area (Chicago), anything good has a waiting list to get on and people stay with very good , reliable providers until kids grow out of it to go to public school.
Yeah, I hear you. I am thinking of emailing them and being nice and saying thank you for taking the time to show my wife and I around, we enjoyed hearing about how you run your facility and we think it would be a good fit for our son. We are a little worried about the price being $1,485 since we already have another child enrolled in daycare. I understand you offer sibling discounts, but he is happy and staying at his current daycare at this time. If you would be willing to accept $1,350 a month as tuition, we would be happy to sign the paperwork and put down our half month deposit and $100 registration fee. Our request to reduce tuition is no way a reflection on your facility, but more on our budget and we would appreciate you working with us on this.

Does that sound good? I know it is only $135 a month, but that adds up fast and it is after taxes, so I have to earn about $200 to make that up. Then we need to give them 45 days notice if one of these new daycares being built has a better deal or else we lose that half month deposit, but if we can get a newer daycare to take like $1,200 a month it would help a lot. My main worry is that we aren't sure about full day kindergarten so we thought having two in daycare would only last for about 15 months and we could bankroll our bonuses, and tax returns and I am trying to make some side income money plus DW got a raise, so we are hoping to not have to dip into savings or lower our 401K to pay for this second daycare. If we have to then it is what it is, but Id like to keep maxing my 401K. I guess it will help next year when we both don't have to fully fund our FSA to cover the hospital costs, so that will help.
simas

Post by simas »

sure, seem genuine enough - don't forget to finish with some sort of action, what happens next , you will call them by end of the week to hear their decision, you want them to call you , etc. remember the shorter you make the note, the more likely it gets read at all. then, you get Y/N and can move along to whatever is next in your list and they move to the next candidate.

Remember that your "savings" is revenue loss for them and just as you are counting the savings they can easily count the revenue loss and can pass you for next candidate ('we would happy to see you should you change your mind'). your local market determines this.

reverse the situation for a second, how much would you like to get that nice , touchy ,feely, I need to speak with my spouse, I really really like you, can I come by with homemade cookies, letter asking for you to take a salary paycut tomorrow and forever from there at your place of employment? still feel warm and fuzzy or suddenly feel more insulted than anything?
wootwoot

Post by wootwoot »

OP where are you located? Those prices are sky high!
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

At that price, you might consider an au pair.
scottgekko

Post by scottgekko »

For $2500 a month, you could hire a nanny for a year or 2, then when baby1 is in 'regular' school, baby 2 can attend a day care.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Thegame14 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:58 pm
smitcat wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:52 pm Both rates and openings are very area specific around the country - comparing rates without location will give you little value.
That is what happened at child #1 daycare, costs were lower when they opened and as soon as they were full price went up $200 a month. This second daycare has been open she said for like 15 years, so it isn't new, and no waiting list, only 2 infants so they have plenty of room to add more, that is the basis of my thinking that they would negotiate, plus the one person when I went said they will work with you, when I mentioned the cost.
One woudl often then wonder if there is a reason why one center is open a long time and still has openings while the other thrives. Were we are the centers are state certified and inspected and you can look any issues each center may have had up online at their site. Perhpas you have a similar situation where you can look up the inspection history for each center online.
leeks

Post by leeks »

Would the older one get to spend time with and help care for/play with the baby if they go to the same daycare?
indexfund56

Post by indexfund56 »

With the amount of money you are talking about saving, which seems to be a couple of hundred bucks per month, is it worth having the kids in separate places? That just seems like a hassle to me.

Also, as a parent who recently just got out of the daycare stage with my own kids, I’d be wary of sending my kid anywhere that had immediate openings and was willing to offer discounts just to get me in the door. That would tell me the place is desperate for business. Any daycare I’ve ever used has had a wait to get in.
squidfather

Post by squidfather »

Two kids is harder than one kid. Not twice as hard, exponentially harder. Doing pickups/drop off at two sites to save a couple hundred bucks is a false economy.

To give you context, after a year on a waiting list, my kids got into a great place that also happens to be one of the most "affordable" in town. I pay $830 a week for the two kids. Yes, per week. So averages to about $3600 a month. This is 2/3 of what we were paying before getting off the waitlist, so it feels great. But maybe take my advice with that grain of salt, because I'd die to get the kind of prices you are paying.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

leeks wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:51 pm Would the older one get to spend time with and help care for/play with the baby if they go to the same daycare?
The daycare facilities my children attended when they were younger were age-segregated - infants in one area, toddlers in another, pre-school in a third, and school-age kids (attending before or after school hours) in yet another part of the building.

Due to liability and practicality reasons, I don't think it's likely at all that the daycare will permit a four-year-old into the infant area.

Your experiences may differ from mine.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE »

wootwoot wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:59 pm OP where are you located? Those prices are sky high!
To me they are dirt cheap.

We pay $2250/month for our 6 month old infant
wootwoot

Post by wootwoot »

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:02 pm
wootwoot wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:59 pm OP where are you located? Those prices are sky high!

Prices here are between 800-1200 a month for each kid in a major metropolitan area and we feel like that's expensive with 2 kids.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed an off-topic post and reply regarding a relationship issue.

Please stay focused on the financial aspects.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE »

wootwoot wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:05 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:02 pm

Prices here are between 800-1200 a month for each kid in a major metropolitan area and we feel like that's expensive with 2 kids.
Yes, by kid 3 the ROI of exorbitant SF tech salaries may be negated by daycare tuition alone!
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

You can certainly offer less, but taking care of other people's children is worth a lot of money IMO. Especially if you are required to provide a piece of fruit each day.
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

leeks wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:51 pm Would the older one get to spend time with and help care for/play with the baby if they go to the same daycare?
no they would be in completely separate rooms and only see each other during drop off and pickup, plus the car ride.

They do this mostly because teachers have to teach to the age group of the kids, also they have different ratio's for each age group and usually charge different prices per age group, ie infant it is 4 kids to 1 teacher, 4-5 year old may be 10 kids to 1 teacher.
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

North NJ about 10-15 miles outside NYC
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

scottgekko wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:09 pm For $2500 a month, you could hire a nanny for a year or 2, then when baby1 is in 'regular' school, baby 2 can attend a day care.
Does a nanny teach them math, science, sign language, mandarin, cook organic GMO free food for them, manners and etiquette, how to share/play with others, they even do public speaking at his age.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

No - they are different age groups.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Thegame14 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:03 am
That is near the highest areas we have for childcare ...
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

smitcat wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:11 am
I have more than one place quote me at $1,800 for an infant.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Thegame14 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:06 am
scottgekko wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:09 pm For $2500 a month, you could hire a nanny for a year or 2, then when baby1 is in 'regular' school, baby 2 can attend a day care.
Does a nanny teach them math, science, sign language, mandarin, cook organic GMO free food for them, manners and etiquette, how to share/play with others, they even do public speaking at his age.

Some issues with in home nannies etc...
- they are in your home , personal docs etc are with them
- they have not been background checked
- they are alone, no backup
- they may get sick, feel depressed etc at some points in time
- they do not have first aid training, CPR, etc
- they do not have MAT training
- they do not get continuos training
- no curriculum
- no spot checks and regular checks by child dervices
- no age specific children interactions
...and there are more

Background - Our child was with a nanny for a while then switched to a childcare center.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Thegame14 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:12 am
smitcat wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:11 am
I have more than one place quote me at $1,800 for an infant.
I am not surpirsed - N NJ has some of the most restriuctive ratios as well as some of the costliest building codes, property, and construction costs.
A decent 10,000 sqaure foot buillding purpose build for childfcare will cost well over $1.5 million without internal fitouts.
The total costs to run are quite spectacular.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Have you looked into private home daycares? When we were looking at daycare facilities that housed large numbers of kids, they were charging three times the rate of what a private (but still state licensed) daycare person working from her own was charging. We paid $400 a month.
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

lthenderson wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:42 am Have you looked into private home daycares? When we were looking at daycare facilities that housed large numbers of kids, they were charging three times the rate of what a private (but still state licensed) daycare person working from her own was charging. We paid $400 a month.
No as I would not be sure that they are safety compliant and have the proper safety and educational training. I do not want to pay for a babysitter. I am paying for and education as well as their time supervising him. I also don't want the TV to be babysitting them either at someone's home at daycare there are no TV's.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Thegame14 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:55 am
lthenderson wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:42 am Have you looked into private home daycares? When we were looking at daycare facilities that housed large numbers of kids, they were charging three times the rate of what a private (but still state licensed) daycare person working from her own was charging. We paid $400 a month.
No as I would not be sure that they are safety compliant and have the proper safety and educational training. I do not want to pay for a babysitter. I am paying for and education as well as their time supervising him. I also don't want the TV to be babysitting them either at someone's home at daycare there are no TV's.
Our daycare provider was state certified in everything from her meal plan which had to be submitted to the hours spent providing educational activities. She spent two weeks of the year undergoing training in the evenings to remain state certified. The state inspector was down there at least once a month for a full day making sure they met all the requirements.
BSBHead

Post by BSBHead »

smitcat wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:17 am

- no curriculum
...and there are more

Background - Our child was with a nanny for a while then switched to a childcare center.

Our experience with our nanny share couldn't be any more different than what you cite above. You may have these issues if get a nanny off the street but not if you do it the right (meaning expensive) way. We used an agency, so we've seen our nanny's full background check and first aid training. One of the biggest benefits is our nanny comes when our kiddo is sick, which you cannot do with day care. Our nanny has been great and our kid (as well as our other nanny share kid) are doing really well. Our 2-year old can count up to 50, can do simple math (e.g. 1+1=2) and has very good social skills. Potty training is probably 65% of the way there. They do a ton of activities. Kid gets out a ton and does stuff in our city that we've never even done.

Downside is cost and if nanny is sick. Cost was a bitter pill to swallow as I'm guessing it's 2x more than day care where we live for a new born and probably 1.5x for a toddler. My job is flexible so nanny being sick is not an issue. My job also has back-up day care available that we haven't utilizes. Day care is not readily available in our region with 1 year waitlists being the minimum and 2-3 wait lists (meaning get on as you are thinking about getting pregnant).

We were forced into a nanny as our kiddo had a medical issue that wouldn't allow him in a normal day care, but I feel it's been a good investment given our kid's development. I'm not going to cast stones on day care workers as I've only heard from friends what that experience can be like even at top tier day cares, but for us, the nanny/nannyshare has been better than expected.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

Dropping two kids off at two different locations sounds like a logistical nightmare.
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

greg24 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:45 am Dropping two kids off at two different locations sounds like a logistical nightmare.
Wife takes 4 year old to daycare which is 5 minutes from her job, goes to work, leaves work, picks up 4 year old 5 minutes away and drives home.

ME, I take newborn to daycare, 5 minutes from my job, go to work, leave work, pick up newborn 5 minutes away from work, and drive home.

Where is the logistical nightmare?
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

BSBHead wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:37 am
smitcat wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:17 am

- no curriculum
...and there are more

Our experience with our nanny share couldn't be any more different than what you cite above. You may have these issues if get a nanny off the street but not if you do it the right (meaning expensive) way. We used an agency, so we've seen our nanny's full background check and first aid training. One of the biggest benefits is our nanny comes when our kiddo is sick, which you cannot do with day care. Our nanny has been great and our kid (as well as our other nanny share kid) are doing really well. Our 2-year old can count up to 50, can do simple math (e.g. 1+1=2) and has very good social skills. Potty training is probably 65% of the way there. They do a ton of activities. Kid gets out a ton and does stuff in our city that we've never even done.

Downside is cost and if nanny is sick. Cost was a bitter pill to swallow as I'm guessing it's 2x more than day care where we live for a new born and probably 1.5x for a toddler. My job is flexible so nanny being sick is not an issue. My job also has back-up day care available that we haven't utilizes. Day care is not readily available in our region with 1 year waitlists being the minimum and 2-3 wait lists (meaning get on as you are thinking about getting pregnant).

We were forced into a nanny as our kiddo had a medical issue that wouldn't allow him in a normal day care, but I feel it's been a good investment given our kid's development. I'm not going to cast stones on day care workers as I've only heard from friends what that experience can be like even at top tier day cares, but for us, the nanny/nannyshare has been better than expected.
"We were forced into a nanny as our kiddo had a medical issue that wouldn't allow him in a normal day care"
There are many kids in daycare centers with medial issues.
Good for you - hope it all works out for you with no issues.
Our Daughter is out of grad school now working in a medical field - still friends with many of the kids that she met in childcare that were out of her school distrcit at the time. They are all doing very well so childcare worked for us.
BTW - we did have a 'agency' nanny as well originally.
Lafder

Post by Lafder »

I would pay extra to have both kids at the same place. No way would I do 2 places unless the kids' ages made them not eligible for each other's places.

It is just too hard to keep up with different holiday schedules, parties, performances (my kids little preschools always had holiday events and performances from the time they were toddlers). PLUS you are exposing your family to two sets of colds and illnesses if you use 2 places!

It is strange a place gives a discount for one kid, not two. Meaning it is in there best interest to take care of siblings as then they have fewer parents to deal with :) I thought places more often discount the second sib instead of just one child?

My kids never got a discount for two at the same place :(

Cost is just one variable. I would not use lowest price as my deciding factor.
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

Lafder wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:44 am I would pay extra to have both kids at the same place. No way would I do 2 places unless the kids' ages made them not eligible for each other's places.

It is just too hard to keep up with different holiday schedules, parties, performances (my kids little preschools always had holiday events and performances from the time they were toddlers). PLUS you are exposing your family to two sets of colds and illnesses if you use 2 places!

It is strange a place gives a discount for one kid, not two. Meaning it is in there best interest to take care of siblings as then they have fewer parents to deal with :) I thought places more often discount the second sib instead of just one child?

My kids never got a discount for two at the same place :(

Cost is just one variable. I would not use lowest price as my deciding factor.
daycare 1 we signed up for when they were brand new and have a grand opening special. It was for the first 25 parents who signed up and only open for a month. Our son was the third child overall to enroll in this daycare, when he signed up there was only one baby in the entire facility. They gave up $300 off per month, plus 12 hours of care including food, and a contract with a no more than 6% increase each year. Now three years later daycare is not only full but has waiting list and isn't happy our son is cheaper so they tried to raise the price and violate our contract, we had to get a lawyer involved, we eventually got them to agree to the contract but our son is now $400 a month less than other kids his age, and they have to pay extra $100 a month to get the now "Extended hours" that we have included. The contract says this special also includes any future siblings, but when we talked to them about baby #2 they said absolutely not and they have the right to change the contract at any time, and there is no chance they will give any discount for us for child 2 since child 1 has such a good deal in their opinion. Their fee for child 2 is $1,650 per month and no idea how we would do it, he wouldn't get the extended hours or we have to pay another $100 per month to have both kids on same "Extended hours" so then child 2 is $1,750 per month. So taking child 2 to a daycare by my work one, it splits the duty so each parent is doing some of the work and all the dropping off and picking up doesn't fall on one parent. two, it saves us about $300 per month, three daycare 1 only goes up to pre-K, they don't have a kindergarten program, where daycare 2 does have a kindergarten program... This is important as out town doesn't have full day kindergarten, so the plan is to then switch children and send child 1 to new daycare which has kindergarten and child 2 then goes to first daycare, which the price drops $100 per year so then it would be $1,450 but that includes organic GMO free food, vs daycare 2 doesn't provide food and we do not cook much so we much prefer daycare providing their meals.