USAA Auto Premiums Up Exactly 10% in 3 Consecutive Renewals?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Ketawa

USAA Auto Premiums Up Exactly 10% in 3 Consecutive Renewals?

Post by Ketawa » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:15 pm

I hope this can serve as a reminder for people to shop their insurance rates periodically. I have had USAA auto insurance for 11 years, all for the same one vehicle. In the past, I occasionally did some price shopping and other companies were either non-competitive or close enough to not make a big difference. The last time was about a year ago. This time, I took a closer look at my premiums and was shocked at the pattern.

I moved to DC in 2017 and had a new policy issued. It included liability, personal injury protection, uninsured/underinsured motorists, collision, comprehensive, rental reimbursement, and towing & labor.

Mid 2017
Liability + Personal Injury Protection + Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists: $375.78
Collision + Comprehensive + Rental Reimbursement + Towing & Labor: $223.68
Total: $599.46

Early 2018
Liability + Personal Injury Protection + Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists: $437.45
Collision + Comprehensive + Rental Reimbursement + Towing & Labor: $221.95
Total: $659.40
Exactly 10% increase from $599.46. 16.4% on the first portion, -0.8% on the second portion.

Partway into this period, I dropped collision, comprehensive, rental reimbursement, and towing & labor since I can self insure. I should have dropped rental reimbursement and towing & labor a long time ago.

Mid 2018
Liability + Personal Injury Protection + Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists: $481.21
Exactly 10% increase from $437.45 for this portion.

Early 2019
Liability + Personal Injury Protection + Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists: $529.32
Exactly 10% increase from $481.21.

I called them, and the customer service rep was unable to give any explanation beyond a boilerplate statement that rates can go up or down, the model does what the model does, etc. I had no claims or events over this time period, only a minor speeding ticket in 2016 that was captured on the first policy.

I have ZERO faith in their model if this is how it priced my renewals. An exact 10% increase on the bottom line, even with this mix of coverages? I have no other complaints about USAA as a company and they have handled a few claims for me excellently, but this is ridiculous! I started shopping around and was able to get the same coverages with GEICO for 52% off (including a "Persistency" discount for being with USAA 11 years, hah!). Unfortunately, USAA will not write an umbrella policy unless you have the underlying policies with them, so I will have to shop for it elsewhere as well as compare renters, but it seems like switching will be a net gain.

Has anyone else experienced something similar to this?

AJS

Re: USAA Auto Premiums Up Exactly 10% in 3 Consecutive Renewals?

Post by AJS » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:00 pm

My auto rates from USAA have been stable over the past few years. However, I did see a 25% increase in homeowner's insurance (no claims). I am always anxious each renewal because I don't trust insurance companies to give me a fair price. GEICO may price gouge you next year. I intend to stay with USAA for the moment due to their customer service. But at some point that my become to pricey.
The sea was angry that day my friends...

tj

Post by tj » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:00 pm

It might be a coincidence in your state. I don't think I've ever seen a trend like that in my rates from them.

Aku09

Post by Aku09 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:14 pm

Had USAA for years and never had a claim. About 4 years ago they started going up significantly with each renewal (10%) roughly every 6 months. Finally price shopped about 2 years ago and switched to Geico for almost half the cost that I was paying USAA. Now Geico has been doing the same with roughly a 10% increase every 6 months. Still cheaper than any price shopping I’ve done, but it stinks to constantly get a larger bill.

nix4me

Post by nix4me » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:25 pm

After 20 years, I recently cancelled my USAA policy. Just can’t justify the cost anymore. Progressive was half the cost for double the coverage.

BanditKing

Post by BanditKing » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:29 pm

Was a 30 year USAA customer, including banking, with minimal claims over the years. Rates got way too high and I switched to GEICO and Ally. Knocked probably 50% off my premiums.

To me, the saddest thing was that they didn't even make an attempt to determine why I was leaving, or keep me as a 30 year customer.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:23 pm

Interesting, I guess I cant complain and won't be switching anytime soon. We switched to Geico approximately 5 years ago and luckily our rates have remained stable. Full coverage w/roadside asst. $223/6 mo. This in the Chicago area.

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:29 pm

They have to pay for Sgt Baker's water damage. Just HATE that USAA commercial. Always wise 2 shop around every 2 yrs. Loyalty gets ya nowhere these days.

OnLevel

Post by OnLevel » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:34 pm

On the exactly 10% increases: it might be case where they increased their overall rates by more than 10%, but limit the disruption on currentcustomer, they limit the increase to 10% with each renewal until the full rates come into effect.

Unfortunately, insurance is a game of averages, and it's always too expensive until you have a claim. It's always good to shop around.

Topic Author
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:40 pm

I looked at my previous coverage with USAA while I was in Virginia. For the most part, it bounced around in a ~10% band. The exact 10% semiannual increase only started since I moved to DC.

I did some comparison shopping.

GEICO - $269 (added upgraded accident forgiveness)
Amica - $308
Progressive - $358
State Farm - $449
USAA - $529

GEICO will write umbrella if I have renters with another company, and their umbrella was $62 cheaper than USAA for a year of $1 million liability. They won out probably because they have discounts for NFCU affiliation and military. I didn't inquire about umbrella at the other companies since I only want to spend so much time on the phone. Seems like a switch is in order.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:09 pm

USAA was great 30 years ok, good 20 years ago, ok 10 years ago and below average today. Costs are way out of whack and don't justify the premium. Customer service has really gotten hit or miss lately. I have dealt with some pretty surly people on the phone. They have just grown too big and don't seem to care anymore. And they are advertising like hell on tv for more business!

Topic Author
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:15 pm

OnLevel wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:34 pm
On the exactly 10% increases: it might be case where they increased their overall rates by more than 10%, but limit the disruption on currentcustomer, they limit the increase to 10% with each renewal until the full rates come into effect.
This is an interesting hypothesis. I'm very curious to get a new quote for USAA insurance in 6 months to a year.

talzara

Post by talzara » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:51 pm

Ketawa wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:15 pm
I have ZERO faith in their model if this is how it priced my renewals. An exact 10% increase on the bottom line, even with this mix of coverages?
Three consecutive 10% rate increases usually mean that you have received a one-time rate increase. It could be 30% or 300%, but it's being phased in 10% at a time. You will keep getting 10% rate increases until you catch up to the calculated premium.

talzara

Post by talzara » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:55 pm

tj wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:00 pm
It might be a coincidence in your state. I don't think I've ever seen a trend like that in my rates from them.
OnLevel wrote:
The OP is seeing a 10% rate increase at every renewal. If it were an overall rate increase that's being capped, then it would be increasing by 10% at every other renewal.

Auto insurance companies usually change their rates once a year, but their policies renew every 6 months.

Thecallofduty

Post by Thecallofduty » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:43 pm

Great job at getting other quotes! I wish I had done this sooner but sometimes you are comfortable and leave things on autopilot.

I had geico insurance for many years, really liked them and they were great with resolving any issue. Then for no reason I got some consecutive rate hikes.

I shopped around and switched to another company. I am saving $700 this year by the switch with coverage of two vehicles. :moneybag.

Make sure your shopping for exact same coverage to compre apples to apples with prices.
-thecallofduty

Golf maniac

Post by Golf maniac » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:35 pm

Remember a lot of factors go into your insurance rates and your driving record is just one part. I went with Progressive about a year ago and was terrified that I would get in a wreck and have to deal with Progressive terrible customer service. After 6 months they jacked up the rates and it was a no brainer to go back to USAA. I will pay a little more and get dependable customer service when I need it.

HawkeyeJD

Post by HawkeyeJD » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:37 pm

I also just switched from USAA to GEICO. Going to save about $700 a year (assuming GEICO rates remain the same). I also obtained quotes from Progressive and Liberty Mutual (and a few others) and all were cheaper by a long shot than USAA for the same coverage.

That said, when I shopped my homeowners, USAA consistently beat everyone else out on pricing, so YMMV.

I will have to buy a new umbrella policy since USAA will not renew my policy this summer because I don't have auto with them, but turns out the umbrella is cheaper with GEICO than USAA anyways!

Hiker-Biker

Post by Hiker-Biker » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:20 am

Ketawa wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:40 pm
I looked at my previous coverage with USAA while I was in Virginia. For the most part, it bounced around in a ~10% band. The exact 10% semiannual increase only started since I moved to DC.

I did some comparison shopping.

GEICO - $269 (added upgraded accident forgiveness)
Amica - $308
Progressive - $358
State Farm - $449
USAA - $529

GEICO will write umbrella if I have renters with another company, and their umbrella was $62 cheaper than USAA for a year of $1 million liability. They won out probably because they have discounts for NFCU affiliation and military. I didn't inquire about umbrella at the other companies since I only want to spend so much time on the phone. Seems like a switch is in order.
I recently had USAA do any extensive quote for auto, home, inland marine (forgot what USAA called it), and Umbrella. I currently have Erie and USAA was not competitive. I won't bother with Geico since I have heard horror stories if you have a chargeable accident. Maybe things have changed; however, Erie has been good for us. When I was in Maryland, I was surprised by how much cheaper Erie was than State Farm when I lived in Howard County. I believe that MD imposes higher regulatory burdens that are passed down to the consumer. You would think on a risk adjusted basis that there's a higher risk living in a county with 1 MM people vs. 200k in MD.

Maybe USAA will be worth it if I relocate to a state that Erie doesn't write policies.

H-B

Crisium

Post by Crisium » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:23 am

USAA raised my rates every time despite my age increasing (mid-late 20s during this time), zero accidents, and my car decreasing in value.

I got a quote from Geico for the same exact coverage for a little over a third of the cost. Ultimately I decided to increase coverage and it's still only 50% of USAA.

Geico has raised my rates a little upon renewals, but less than what USAA did. Shopping every 3-5 years seems wise and I will do so if Geico creeps up too much.

Nords

Post by Nords » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:13 pm

Ketawa wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:15 pm
I hope this can serve as a reminder for people to shop their insurance rates periodically. I have had USAA auto insurance for 11 years, all for the same one vehicle. In the past, I occasionally did some price shopping and other companies were either non-competitive or close enough to not make a big difference. The last time was about a year ago. This time, I took a closer look at my premiums and was shocked at the pattern.

I moved to DC in 2017 and had a new policy issued.

Exactly 10% increase from $599.46. 16.4% on the first portion, -0.8% on the second portion.

Exactly 10% increase from $437.45 for this portion.

Exactly 10% increase from $481.21.

I called them, and the customer service rep was unable to give any explanation beyond a boilerplate statement that rates can go up or down, the model does what the model does, etc. I had no claims or events over this time period, only a minor speeding ticket in 2016 that was captured on the first policy.

I have ZERO faith in their model if this is how it priced my renewals. An exact 10% increase on the bottom line, even with this mix of coverages? I have no other complaints about USAA as a company and they have handled a few claims for me excellently, but this is ridiculous! I started shopping around and was able to get the same coverages with GEICO for 52% off (including a "Persistency" discount for being with USAA 11 years, hah!). Unfortunately, USAA will not write an umbrella policy unless you have the underlying policies with them, so I will have to shop for it elsewhere as well as compare renters, but it seems like switching will be a net gain.

Has anyone else experienced something similar to this?
Ketawa, I’m not sure what’s wrong with “an exact 10% increase”... let alone three times in a row.

What should we expect, or should we have any expectations at all? Are humans fooled not only by randomness but by patterns?

Would members feel better if an algorithm boosted the premium 12.5749% or some other arbitrary number with more significant digits?

Should the premiums have gone up by a different amount each time?

Would members feel better if the member service rep said that the 10% was a hard stop on the algorithm, based on member-retention trends USAA has seen in order avoid having people cancel their policies?

Is GEICO’s 52% persistency discount more credible because it’s not a multiple of 10%? Or is their customer service rep just makin’ stuff up?

We’ve lived in Hawaii for 30 years, and in that time our policy premiums have been $36-$40/month per vehicle-- and not even the same vehicles. Maybe USAA’s pricing algorithm is stuck over here.

We all know that we should not impose our human heuristics to find “patterns” in the stock market. Yet somehow we all feel qualified to inflict technical analysis upon our insurance premiums.

I’ve attended USAA conferences for over seven years along with interviewing a number of their execs, and here’s what I’ve learned:
it’s probably not about you or your driving record or even your persistency. It’s your ZIP code.

Nationwide, insurance claims have been rising in frequency and expense for five years. It started with vehicle design (more plastic, more crumple zones, more damage during collisions) and accelerated with falling gas prices. (More drivers on the road, more miles driven per vehicle, driving faster.) It greatly accelerated with the nation’s rise of distracted driving (texting, navigation systems, video screens, automation). It shows no sign of slowing down, except perhaps with voluntary telematics.
https://the-military-guide.com/auto-insurance-premiums-rising-not-just/

In addition, USAA requires every product or policy to pay for itself. Unlike State Farm or GEICO or Progressive, USAA won’t subsidize policies with loss leaders. They don’t grab for market share by charging less than their expenses. They don’t pay commissions or other affiliate fees to grow the membership. Of course they do offer (small) partial returns of premiums at the end of the year, based on the company’s expected claims payments for the previous year.

USAA is also fairly rigorous about reducing concentration risk. If they have too many people moving to a particular area then they’ll start boosting premiums and could even limit coverage for the new arrivals. The whole idea is that they don’t get hit with a giant payout for a hurricane or a hailstorm or a 200-car pileup on the highway during a blizzard.

If you’re shopping on price, then I hope you can get equivalent service from another insurer. Unfortunately the only way to find out the quality of the service is to file a claim... or perhaps to depend on the third-party surveys of customer satisfaction. Hopefully you’re not subject to more premium hikes at the other insurers, or at least not of the same magnitude as USAA.
https://the-military-guide.com/usaa-answers-insurance-financial-questions/

And you’d also like to know that your premiums at the other insurers aren’t subsidizing a corporate grab for market share. GEICO, in particular, may also be fairly rigorous about their premium pricing, but I doubt that Buffett or Jain spend a lot of time with their actuaries.
* | * | Please see my profile. I don't read every post, so please PM or e-mail me to get my attention.

Topic Author
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:18 pm

Nords wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:13 pm
Ketawa, I’m not sure what’s wrong with “an exact 10% increase”... let alone three times in a row.

What should we expect, or should we have any expectations at all? Are humans fooled not only by randomness but by patterns?

Would members feel better if an algorithm boosted the premium 12.5749% or some other arbitrary number with more significant digits?

Should the premiums have gone up by a different amount each time?

Would members feel better if the member service rep said that the 10% was a hard stop on the algorithm, based on member-retention trends USAA has seen in order avoid having people cancel their policies?

Is GEICO’s 52% persistency discount more credible because it’s not a multiple of 10%? Or is their customer service rep just makin’ stuff up?

We’ve lived in Hawaii for 30 years, and in that time our policy premiums have been $36-$40/month per vehicle-- and not even the same vehicles. Maybe USAA’s pricing algorithm is stuck over here.

We all know that we should not impose our human heuristics to find “patterns” in the stock market. Yet somehow we all feel qualified to inflict technical analysis upon our insurance premiums.

I’ve attended USAA conferences for over seven years along with interviewing a number of their execs, and here’s what I’ve learned:
it’s probably not about you or your driving record or even your persistency. It’s your ZIP code.

Nationwide, insurance claims have been rising in frequency and expense for five years. It started with vehicle design (more plastic, more crumple zones, more damage during collisions) and accelerated with falling gas prices. (More drivers on the road, more miles driven per vehicle, driving faster.) It greatly accelerated with the nation’s rise of distracted driving (texting, navigation systems, video screens, automation). It shows no sign of slowing down, except perhaps with voluntary telematics.
https://the-military-guide.com/auto-ins ... -not-just/

In addition, USAA requires every product or policy to pay for itself. Unlike State Farm or GEICO or Progressive, USAA won’t subsidize policies with loss leaders. They don’t grab for market share by charging less than their expenses. They don’t pay commissions or other affiliate fees to grow the membership. Of course they do offer (small) partial returns of premiums at the end of the year, based on the company’s expected claims payments for the previous year.

USAA is also fairly rigorous about reducing concentration risk. If they have too many people moving to a particular area then they’ll start boosting premiums and could even limit coverage for the new arrivals. The whole idea is that they don’t get hit with a giant payout for a hurricane or a hailstorm or a 200-car pileup on the highway during a blizzard.

If you’re shopping on price, then I hope you can get equivalent service from another insurer. Unfortunately the only way to find out the quality of the service is to file a claim... or perhaps to depend on the third-party surveys of customer satisfaction. Hopefully you’re not subject to more premium hikes at the other insurers, or at least not of the same magnitude as USAA.
https://the-military-guide.com/usaa-ans ... questions/

And you’d also like to know that your premiums at the other insurers aren’t subsidizing a corporate grab for market share. GEICO, in particular, may also be fairly rigorous about their premium pricing, but I doubt that Buffett or Jain spend a lot of time with their actuaries.
Actually, it would have been a lot more satisfying if USAA had told me my premiums were increasing exactly 10% if, for example, the earlier speculation about a one-time rate increase is correct, and 10% is a hard cap on renewal increases. It's still troubling that after being issued a new policy with my new residence (which was substantially more expensive than in VA), my rates may have increased a massive amount within 5 months despite no change to my risk profile, and with no end in sight to the increase in premiums. That doesn't speak to a gradual change in the cost of providing car insurance.

USAA had the highest price of the 5 insurers I shopped around for the same coverage. I asked a friend in the area about his premiums and he also found he could save upwards of 50% by switching from USAA to GEICO. The second lowest price for me was Amica, which also has a stellar reputation for claims. Maybe USAA is simply becoming uncompetitive in the DC area. I doubt that there are massive swings in the number of people buying USAA insurance in the DC area, and we haven't had any major natural disasters that would explain an increase.

Nords

Post by Nords » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:43 pm

Ketawa wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:18 pm
Actually, it would have been a lot more satisfying if USAA had told me my premiums were increasing exactly 10% if, for example, the earlier speculation about a one-time rate increase is correct, and 10% is a hard cap on renewal increases.
I'll see whether USAA has a more concrete answer to that question. Maybe it'll turn into a good interview for a blog post.
Ketawa wrote:
It's still troubling that after being issued a new policy with my new residence (which was substantially more expensive than in VA), my rates may have increased a massive amount within 5 months despite no change to my risk profile, and with no end in sight to the increase in premiums.
I'll write it again: it's not about you, it's about your ZIP code. USAA has decided that something about your location has changed since the last time they sold you a policy, and now it costs more. You're absolutely right that you haven't changed your risk profile, but something else changed.
Ketawa wrote:
Maybe USAA is simply becoming uncompetitive in the DC area. I doubt that there are massive swings in the number of people buying USAA insurance in the DC area, and we haven't had any major natural disasters that would explain an increase.
I don't have any insight into the weights of the factors which go into the rate calculations, but I agree that USAA is becoming uncompetitive in the DC area. That's the whole idea: USAA has decided that the risks in the DC area are not worth the premiums.

Now you have to trust that the other insurers are behaving in a rational manner and they're not tempted to cut back on claims or other services. The only way I know of to answer that question is to actually file a claim, and it's very much an individual experience for the claimant. Personally I've never filed a claim on a vehicle insurance policy. I hope I never will.

It's not a question of whether your area has had any major natural disasters. I know what happens in that situation-- USAA pulls out of the market. There was a decade-long period in the early 2000s when Hawaii homeowners could not buy an insurance policy from USAA. It wasn't a question of premiums... USAA would only sell a Hawaii home insurance policy to first-time homebuyers, no matter how rugged the other homeowners may have made their properties.

USAA focuses on whether there's a risk of of a natural disaster happening in an area (or an unnatural disaster like a massive multi-vehicle collision), and again the premiums have to justify taking the risk.

Insurance companies have to make enough of a profit to stay in business, and they can only cut claim-service expenses so far. They can't just underprice the competition and then pray that nothing bad happens.

Ideally every dollar we spend on our insurance is wasted. That's probably also an incentive to self-insure wherever it makes sense.

I realize this doesn't answer your question of whether you should switch insurance companies, let alone whether it makes sense-- but I think I've answered your question of "Has anyone else experienced something similar to this?"
* | * | Please see my profile. I don't read every post, so please PM or e-mail me to get my attention.

nix4me

Post by nix4me » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:19 pm

after 16 years - i dumped USAA this year. I got twice the coverage for half the price at Progressive.

fabis

Post by fabis » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:20 am

Saving money is great, but honestly, should only be a part of your decision.

I work with insurance companies on a daily basis. The number one insurance company I would avoid like the plague is Geico. Sure, you pay for your 100/300, 300/500, 1mil/1mil policies, but Geico will only offer the amount of money that barely covers your expenses and leaves you with minimal money in pocket aka pain and suffering -- unless you take them to court.

of course everything is a case by case basis, but more often than not, Geico skates by with paying out the minimum.

So, Geico is good when you cause a wreck, bad if you were injured by one of their insured's.\

USAA- they seem to pay what injuries are worth...which is the whole point of auto insurance.

Topic Author
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:31 am

fabis wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:20 am

I work with insurance companies on a daily basis. The number one insurance company I would avoid like the plague is Geico. Sure, you pay for your 100/300, 300/500, 1mil/1mil policies, but Geico will only offer the amount of money that barely covers your expenses and leaves you with minimal money in pocket aka pain and suffering -- unless you take them to court.

of course everything is a case by case basis, but more often than not, Geico skates by with paying out the minimum.

So, Geico is good when you cause a wreck, bad if you were injured by one of their insured's.\

USAA- they seem to pay what injuries are worth...which is the whole point of auto insurance.
As a consumer, it's tough to evaluate this as a factor without actual data. Seems like if this is a persistent problem, it would be a regulatory issue.

Regardless, the bottom line for me ended up being that it's not just a marketplace between GEICO and USAA. Amica also has a very good reputation in claims and had the 2nd lowest price for me, which would be lower including a dividend reimbursement. I ended up going with GEICO and will reassess when it's time to renew my policy.

The main reason I started this thread was because I was very confused by exact 10% premium increases in 3 consecutive renewals, including after I dropped collision and comprehensive and the 10% increase applied to the liability portion.

HawkeyeJD

Post by HawkeyeJD » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:14 am

Ketawa wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:31 am
fabis wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:20 am

As a consumer, it's tough to evaluate this as a factor without actual data. Seems like if this is a persistent problem, it would be a regulatory issue.

Regardless, the bottom line for me ended up being that it's not just a marketplace between GEICO and USAA. Amica also has a very good reputation in claims and had the 2nd lowest price for me, which would be lower including a dividend reimbursement. I ended up going with GEICO and will reassess when it's time to renew my policy.

The main reason I started this thread was because I was very confused by exact 10% premium increases in 3 consecutive renewals, including after I dropped collision and comprehensive and the 10% increase applied to the liability portion.

BLUF: There are actually ways to see, generally speaking, why your rates went up. It involves going to your state's insurance regulator. Below is how to do this in Illinois as an example. But, I see a lot of threads where people are focused on conjecture, misinformation, or speculation, when in reality the informaiton exists to explain all of this (not at your personal level but for your risk grouping anyways) but it can often be tricky to find, hard to read, or some states have poor information access policies that make it hard to find information.

Also note - insurance companies explicitly have different ratings, underwriting, and risk tiering for new business vs renewals - which is why we see so many threads on "my rate went through the roof after the first 6 months." Long story short...yeah...that is the business model the insurance companies use and the State's permit them to use.

Anyways, here is an example for Illinois:

For car insurance rate information, you can go to this site: http://insurance.illinois.gov/applicati ... EntPortal/ and type in USAA to find them. If you click on the USAA ATTORNEY IN FACT...., then go under 19. Personal Auto/Private Passenger Auto, there is a table showing USAA's information on Illinoi policies written. Here is the link: http://insurance.illinois.gov/Applicati ... ber=905300

From that link, it shows in 3/13/2017, USAA had ~40,000 policies in Illinois worth $60 million in written premiums. It also shows the max and min changes USAA requested for its policies (the right hand column) and the "overall rate impact." Note here the overall rate impact is zero but individuals could see as much as 12% increase or 1.9% decrease.

On that page their is also a link to see USAA's actual rate submissions: https://filingaccess.serff.com/sfa/home/il

Click begin search, accept, business type= property and casualty, type of insurance = 19.0 Personal Auto, type company name = usaa, click company name contains button, click search. You get 69 results. In the 'filing type' column you can see where there are rule/rate or just rate changes. For a recent example, find one with SERFF tracking number USAA-131488643 dated 5/4/18. Within this filing, you will see all the rate filings they put in. Just a couple highlights:

(direct link in case above instructions don't make sense) https://filingaccess.serff.com/sfa/sear ... =131488643

"Based on a review of our latest automobile experience in Illinois, we hereby file an overall rate level change of 0% for all of USAA companies to become effective July 23, 2018 for new business and October 13, 2018 for renewal business. The overall impact for all coverages will be revenue neutral."

In addition, you will see a lot of information about "tiers" and this shows in a general sense how USAA evaluates risk factors. For example:

"A risk may be acceptable in one of the filed tiers. Placement in these tiers is dependent on the combination of underwriting characteristics reflected by the insured. Underwriting tier placement factors are grouped into three categories; Financial Responsibility, Stability and Relationship. The factors may be viewed as favorable, unfavorable or of no significance. The factors are then evaluated based on each insured’s characteristics." and for more specifics:

"Tier placement is re-evaluated at the time of each renewal.

Financial Responsibility Factors

- Prior BI Limits – Higher BI limits are more favorable than lower BI limits.
- Prior Insurance Lapse – Insureds with no lapse in insurance or those returning from recent deployment are more favorable than insureds with a lapse coverage or no prior coverage. This factor is not considered at renewal.

- Credit-based Insurance Score – Higher credit-based insurance scores (insurance scores) are more favorable than lower insurance scores. The insurance score is determined using the Attract One model. An insurance score is ordered for new policies and every two years for
renewal policies. The insurance score and the associated tier points be held and used in tier placement until a new score is ordered. Insureds with twenty-five or more years of USAA Enterprise tenure that have insurance scores below neutral will be treated as having neutral
insurance scores for new and renewal business. Insureds with ten or more years of USAA Enterprise tenure will not see a premium increase at renewal due to the use of the reordered score. In the absence of credit information for an applicant or insured, or when an insurance
score is unable to be calculated, then an insurance score is not used as an underwriting factor, and tier placement is based only on the other underwriting criteria.

-USAA Group Non-payment notices and cancellations – USAA Group insureds that have not been issued a notice for non-payment cancellation or have not had a P&C policy cancelled for non-payment in the last five years are more favorable than those insureds that have had either or a combination of these.

Stability

- Auto Tenure – Longer auto insurance tenure with a prior insurance carrier or USAA Group is
more favorable than those with shorter tenure.

-Type of Business – New insureds, insureds returning from deployment, and dependents of
insureds that are getting their own policies are considered favorably. This benefit is phased out
as tenure is achieved.

Relationship

- P&C Collateral (non-Auto) – Insureds having other USAA Group P&C products are considered
more favorable due to the depth of relationship established with USAA. It also considers
products placed with appointing carriers through the USAA Insurance Agency. Products
considered are active homeowners, renters, umbrella or “other” (Rental Property, VPP, Boat,
Agency Home, Agency Boat, Agency PAF, Agency Umb, Agency Fire) lines of business for the
named insured and/or spouse.

- Enterprise Collateral – Insureds having enterprise products issued by non-P&C USAA subsidiary
companies are considered more favorable due to the depth of relationship established.
Enterprise collateral considers products placed through the USAA Federal Savings Bank, USAA
Investment Management Company (IMCO) and USAA Life Insurance Company. Active
enterprise products are considered for the named insured and/or spouse.

- Military Affiliation - Insureds with a military affiliation who have demonstrated advanced levels of
responsibility are more favorable than those with lower levels of responsibility. "

The above is not magic and is just generalized statements, but it gives you an idea of how USAA is thinking about how they identify your risks. If you really want to get into it, they also have all the various tier groupings and combinations (same link as above) but look for document "2018.7.23 Filing Doc IL USAA Detailed Tier GL" a bit wonky but interesting anyways. Another document "Exhibit 1" shows how they rate bodily injury risks by zip code and census block.

Nords

Post by Nords » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:33 am

Ketawa wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:31 am

Ketawa, I realize you've made a choice, and here's three options for whenever you decide to reassess.

(For everyone else reading this thread, the same options are open for you as well.)

1. Kristi Francisco, USAA's Senior Communications Manager, told me that if a member is dissatisfied with the policy review or doesn’t feel their questions were answered, then they can ask for a supervisor OR to have someone call them back for a more in-depth conversation.

Supervisor, sure, but I've used that callback option before. I think it gives the team a chance to huddle over the question and consult with whoever they need to bring in for a more thorough response. A supervisor has a lower chance of reacting to the questions on the fly while the callback means that they've made more time to research the answers with the right people.

2. Ask to speak to Member Advocacy. This is USAA's team for resolving problems where one of their employees or contractors has definitely made a poor decision. I've used this in the past with members who were advised by a USAA CFP to buy inappropriate investments for their risk profiles (and level of knowledge).

Member Advocacy is a step before starting a formal complaint or dispute. I don't think you need to go to that level for your auto policy questions, but they've been very helpful. More importantly, when we bloggers have talked with them we've noticed that our feedback might be used to improve programs at the executive level-- and to avoid the very problems that Member Advocacy had to step into.

3. If you PM me your contact info (name + e-mail or phone), then I'll send that to Kristi for her to pass on to the policy managers to reach out to you directly. They're offering this because they're focused on member service, but also because your policy might be an edge case where the algorithm glitched. Neither Kristi nor I have any clue about the 10% increments yet that symptom might be recognized by the people who wrote the code.

OnLevel

Post by OnLevel » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:41 pm

talzara wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:55 pm
tj wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:00 pm
OnLevel wrote:
The OP is seeing a 10% rate increase at every renewal. If it were an overall rate increase that's being capped, then it would be increasing by 10% at every other renewal.

Auto insurance companies usually change their rates once a year, but their policies renew every 6 months.
Sorry didn't see this until now and felt I should respond. Frequency of rate changes has nothing to do with rate capping. In the scenario you describe, the premium would indeed go up every renewl, not every other renewal.

ERguy101

Post by ERguy101 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:31 pm

My USAA premiums are/were ridiculous too. I called them yesterday and they gave me some BS about why it's so expensive. I just called Geico, LITERALLY premiums cut in half, with actually better coverages (max coverages, uninsured, health care costs, etc.) I just called USAA and cancelled. This will save me $1100 a year. I feel foolish for not shopping it sooner.

Edit: My policy renewed in November, the refund check from USAA for the unused months will almost pay for the next six months at Geico... Insane

talzara

Post by talzara » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:55 pm

OnLevel wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:41 pm
Sorry didn't see this until now and felt I should respond. Frequency of rate changes has nothing to do with rate capping. In the scenario you describe, the premium would indeed go up every renewl, not every other renewal.
No, that's the scenario that you described.
OnLevel wrote:
That's not possible in this case. Another insurance company might do that in another state, but not USAA in DC.

Many jurisdictions have a two-tier approval process for rate increases. Overall rate increases of 10% or less annually are easily approved, but those exceeding 10% annually are subjected to intense scrutiny. Many large insurers will cap their rate increases to 10% annually, even if they have to lose money. (Some states use a different threshold.)

USAA has been capping its overall rate increases in DC at 10% annually. If it were the overall rate increases, then the OP would be seeing rate increases at every other renewal. Since the OP is seeing rate increases at every renewal, there must be another reason.

There are many possibilities. If the OP drives a car that was found to be 20% more dangerous than predicted, that would be a 20% individual rate increase on top of the 10% overall rate increase. As I wrote earlier on this thread:
talzara wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:51 pm
Three consecutive 10% rate increases usually mean that you have received a one-time rate increase. It could be 30% or 300%, but it's being phased in 10% at a time. You will keep getting 10% rate increases until you catch up to the calculated premium.

Topic Author
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:50 pm

6-month renewal update - my premium with GEICO has remained exactly the same, $269. USAA is quoting me $508 for similar coverages. I intend to cancel my renters and valuable personal property policies with USAA so I can get $1400 out of my subscriber's account and sell what might as well be an individual stock.

tj

Post by tj » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:22 pm

Ketawa wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:50 pm
6-month renewal update - my premium with GEICO has remained exactly the same, $269. USAA is quoting me $508 for similar coverages. I intend to cancel my renters and valuable personal property policies with USAA so I can get $1400 out of my subscriber's account and sell what might as well be an individual stock.
I would advise against this! Maybe their rates will be better on your next car or in your next state. You also get a senior bonus when you are older.

Topic Author
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:07 pm

tj wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:22 pm
Ketawa wrote:
I would advise against this! Maybe their rates will be better on your next car or in your next state. You also get a senior bonus when you are older.
I can always regain membership.

tj

Post by tj » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:56 am

After moving back to Arizona, I saw some massive increases on my condo and the rates on my car were not even close to competitive - they were literally double the price of Hawaii for the same coverage. I was on the phone with a rep for a good 40 minutes last night, she seemed surprised that I was experiencing tis because she works at the Arizona facility and her rates went down and she's always heard that Hawaii is expensive.

I learned that USAA employees are insured by USAA itself, I asked her if it was possible to be placed into a different USAA company, and she said it happens but the only ways are to go active duty, to become a USAA employee or to marry someone who has been placed into a different USAA company.

I ended up going with Auto Owners for my policies this time around, but will check again at the policy renewal next fall.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:26 pm

Ketawa wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:07 pm
tj wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:22 pm
Ketawa wrote:
I can always regain membership.
Right. I was insured by USAA for many years. Switched when their prices were uncompetitive and switched back when they were competitive. No issues.

Alchemist

Post by Alchemist » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:54 pm

Something to keep in mind is that there are different tiers of USAA insurance policies with difference pricing levels. The top tier with the lowest premiums are used for active/retired officers. The next for senior enlisted, then junior enlisted/children of former active duty. Each one is priced differently and is infact a separate corporate entity all owned by USAA.

This is why you can hear such wildly different feedback from different people about USAA. Both their premiums and customer service experience will be different depending on their membership eligibility tier. I am an active duty officer and have nothing but good experience (and low premiums) to report from my USAA membership.

The details of the setup are explained by this post from a similar thread a couple years ago:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=213106&start=50#p3273264

BGeste

Post by BGeste » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:20 pm

I recently switched my car, home, and umbrella policies to Geico. Saved more than 50% overall. Geico service was excellent and their website is very easy to use. I wish I had left USAA earlier. Poor service and sky high premiums. BTW Progressive was also far better priced than USAA.

tj

Post by tj » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:34 pm

Alchemist wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:54 pm
Something to keep in mind is that there are different tiers of USAA insurance policies with difference pricing levels. The top tier with the lowest premiums are used for active/retired officers. The next for senior enlisted, then junior enlisted/children of former active duty. Each one is priced differently and is infact a separate corporate entity all owned by USAA.

This is why you can hear such wildly different feedback from different people about USAA. Both their premiums and customer service experience will be different depending on their membership eligibility tier. I am an active duty officer and have nothing but good experience (and low premiums) to report from my USAA membership.

The details of the setup are explained by this post from a similar thread a couple years ago:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=213106&start=50#p3273264
The details there are not exactly correct though. Garrison isn't the "penalty box". Garrison was created for dependents of dependents. Officer gets actual USAA, dependent of officer gets CIC and dependent of dependent gets Garrison.

I checked the rate filings in Arizona and now CIC and Garrison have higher rates than GIC. Don't really know why, but those are the rates they filed and had approved. You would think that the mothership will always have the lowest rates as it owns all the subsidiaries.

Alchemist

Post by Alchemist » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:54 am

tj wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:34 pm
The details there are not exactly correct though. Garrison isn't the "penalty box". Garrison was created for dependents of dependents. Officer gets actual USAA, dependent of officer gets CIC and dependent of dependent gets Garrison.

I checked the rate filings in Arizona and now CIC and Garrison have higher rates than GIC. Don't really know why, but those are the rates they filed and had approved. You would think that the mothership will always have the lowest rates as it owns all the subsidiaries.
Thank you for the clarification. The way USAA has set up their tired system is a bit odd and often leads to misunderstanding by their own customers (myself included!).

Momus

Post by Momus » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:11 am

Price out geico, AAA, or Clearcover. You might be surprised how much $$$ you can save by switching. After 1 yr, there is also 10% loyalty discount and dividend from the likes of AAA.

USAA has been non competitive for a long time ripping off veterans :annoyed

usagi

Post by usagi » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:49 am

I have been with USAA for 30 some years. I dropped my HO insurance some time ago due to constantly rising premiums and lack of policy options for the risks I wished to assume. USAA is very not very accommodating in this regard.

However the increases were not due to USAA so much as the State I live in allowing roofing companies to go around and gouge the insurance companies with full roof replacements on severely deteriorated roofs under the auspice of storm damage. We also suffered rising rates due to some other changes that negatively impacted insurers. I expect with MJ legalization further increases in personal line insurance rates. My point is, some of it may be the company and some of it the state altering the risk profile of the insureds. Some companies will eat the additional loses for a while in order to gain market share which may account for temporary discrepancies.

In auto, in my area Geico is almost 300% my USAA premium, Progressive is about 2.5 times. I think the difference is age related. Geico is far cheaper for my children.

Be aware with Geico auto they are not replacing with OEM parts. If you plan to keep your vehicle that may matter a lot, and it certainly will effect the resale from a sharp buyer.

spydor

Post by spydor » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:13 am

Momus wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:11 am
Strongly disagree.

I've been with USAA for ~25 years. I moved many times over those years, and compared insurance prices every time we moved. I never found a prices lower than USAA. For most companies, when they asked who I currently had, they replied that they wouldn't be able to beat USAA's rates.

Home-owner's (HO) insurance has been hit or miss, depending on the area. In many cases, we were able to find lower rates with equal coverage/service. At one location, we did move our car insurance to Allstate, as the overall rate was lower when bundling HO and car insurance. Current location, we're back with USAA for car, Allstate for home, as bundling here wasn't a better deal.

sheepla

Post by sheepla » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:37 am

I've been with USAA for 25 plus years. I happily pay higher premiums for the piece of mind of knowing that any claims process will be smooth and seamless (and it has been consistently).

tj

Post by tj » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:05 am

Momus wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:11 am
Price out geico, AAA, or Clearcover. You might be surprised how much $$$ you can save by switching. After 1 yr, there is also 10% loyalty discount and dividend from the likes of AAA.

Aaa only pays dividends in southern California

Topic Author
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:35 pm

Ketawa wrote:
FWIW, another update for the next 6-month period starting in January 2020. I added collision and comprehensive with GEICO during the current term. My total 6-month premium with GEICO is dropping from $331 to $309. I got a quote from USAA again, and it was $629. Very happy with GEICO.

I cancelled all my insurance with USAA over the summer and will be receiving $1400 from my subscriber's account very soon.

tj

Post by tj » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:38 pm

Ketawa wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:35 pm
Ketawa wrote:
FWIW, another update for the next 6-month period starting in January 2020. I added collision and comprehensive with GEICO during the current term. My total 6-month premium with GEICO is dropping from $331 to $309. I got a quote from USAA again, and it was $629. Very happy with GEICO.

I cancelled all my insurance with USAA over the summer and will be receiving $1400 from my subscriber's account very soon.
There must be markets that USAA no longer wants to compete in. They were horribly non-competitive when I moved back to Arizona, but they couldn't be beat in Hawaii. (Including all the insurers that only write in Hawaii). I've heard less than ideal things about GEICO though, they will only use used parts on repairs for example.

BGeste

Post by BGeste » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:29 am

I recently switched my car, home, and umbrella insurance from USAA to Geico. I saved more than 50 percent and got more coverage. Geico service is excellent. USAA kept raising my rates every six months even though I had no claims. I am so glad I switched to Geico. IF you are with USAA you owe it to yourself to shop. I found Geico, Progressive, and Allstate to have better prices than USAA. Geico had best prices, phone service, and website. My neighbor recently had a claim and said Geico gave him excellent service. I had USAA for years and just wasted so much money on them. WIsh I had switched to Geico earlier.