Best Credit Card for International Travel

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Best Credit Card for International Travel

Post by NYCaviator »

We travel internationally for pleasure a few times a year, and I am looking for recommendations on a credit card with no foreign transaction fees and preferably no annual fee. I have been using a BOA card I've had for years, and only use when overseas, but their customer service has become atrocious. Hold times of over an hour just to talk to someone about a fraudulent charge. So, it's time to look at something else. I don't care about sign-up bonuses, and always pay off in full so interest rate doesn't matter. Thanks in advance!
climber2020

Re: Best Credit Card for International Travel

Post by climber2020 »

My primary card is a Capital One Quicksilver.

The one problem with that card is that there is no way to place a travel notification on the card, so if you have an overseas purchase that gets flagged, you need internet access to check your email and unlock your card. This happened to me recently in Egypt, and had I not still been in the hotel lobby using the free wifi at the time I got the email, it would have been a big problem. I called Capital One about this, and they recognize the issue but have no solution. So stupid.

My backup card is an Amazon Visa. Also no foreign exchange or annual fees, and they do allow for travel notifications. I carry this around since the Quicksilver can't always be relied upon.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

NYCaviator wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:15 am We travel internationally for pleasure a few times a year, and I am looking for recommendations on a credit card with no foreign transaction fees and preferably no annual fee. I have been using a BOA card I've had for years, and only use when overseas, but their customer service has become atrocious. Hold times of over an hour just to talk to someone about a fraudulent charge. So, it's time to look at something else. I don't care about sign-up bonuses, and always pay off in full so interest rate doesn't matter. Thanks in advance!
How about an airline branded CC. While there would be modest annual fee, you may well make it back on free checked bags (and get priority boarding as well as deeply discounted purchases of food/drinks in air). All the ones I have (and I have about four different ones) are all no FTF CC's.

Personally, I use my Chase Sapphire Reserve for international spending (most definitely hotel and restaurants).
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
arf30

Post by arf30 »

Capital One has no foreign transaction fees, pick one of their cards. I wouldn't recommend Sapphire or AMEX cards since you mentioned wanting to avoid annual fees.
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

If you have Amazon Prime or Costco, their cards have no FTF although there is a membership fee.
BOA Travel Rewards card has no FTF and no annual fee. Visa Signature with 0% APR for 12 months and 25k sign up bonus.
genzboglehead

Post by genzboglehead »

The above are good suggestions. The key is to make sure a card has no foreign transaction fees. You say you don't care about sign up bonus/rewards, so I'll recommend going for a cashback card. Additionally, since you'll be abroad, you probably want a card with chip-and-pin functionality. This will allow you to use unmanned kiosks in places like Europe. The State Department Federal Credit Union offers a true chip-and-pin card that earns 2% back on all purchases, no annual fee, and no foreign transaction fees. If you're not a State Department employee, it'll cost $15 (one time) to join the American Consumer Council to be eligible for joining the credit union. 2% is pretty much the best overall cashback rate, aside from being a platinum honors member at Bank of America. It's here:
https://www.sdfcu.org/credit-cards

Bank of America Travel Rewards (like alexa mentioned) is also a good card, but it's not a pin priority card. Check out the link below on the differences.
https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card ... n-card.php
DiMAn0684

Post by DiMAn0684 »

Here's a nice card that has no AF and good perks:
https://www.penfed.org/credit-cards/pat ... an-express

One downside is that it is AMEX, which is not as widely accepted as Visa / MC.
jminv

Post by jminv »

I use capital one quicksilver which meets your requirements and has 1.5% cash back. Also has car rental damage waiver which was important for me when choosing it. Other people recommend the State Department Federal Credit Union 2% cash back card which also has the car rental damage waiver and other similar perks. You can join that one in a variety of different ways or do it through the American Consumer Council which can be free to a nominal charge. I'll probably join next time I'm in the states for a visit.

I always have mobile phone service when I travel so I actually appreciate how Capital One does their transaction flagging. They send you and email, you confirm it's you with one click, and card's cleared again. It happens occasionally to me in new countries and it's extremely rare that it occurs where I live overseas.
bryansmile

Post by bryansmile »

DiMAn0684 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:06 am Here's a nice card that has no AF and good perks:
https://www.penfed.org/credit-cards/pat ... an-express

One downside is that it is AMEX, which is not as widely accepted as Visa / MC.
Never use a Penfed card overseas, even if you've informed them of your travel plans. They'll call/email you for any charge coming from overseas. While it seemed great fraud protection, it deemed my Penfed cards useless overseas since my cell phone did not work there nor did I have internet access outside of the hotel.

Costco visa is good, so are the hotel co-branded cards like Chase IHG card, as long as you tell them of your travel plans in advance.
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

Great advice all, thanks!

I see a lot of suggestions for the BoA card, but I currently have that one. I just can't stand BoA. Hands down the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. Over an hour for a fraud report? That's insane.

I was thinking about getting a chase sapphire preferred, but not sure that I would make the $95 fee worth it. Love the Amex I have, but it can be an issue in smaller towns (even in big European cities) to find a merchant who accepts them outside of hotels and airlines.

Does anyone have experience with the state department CU?
terran

Post by terran »

I use the Capital One Quicksilver card and haven't had a problem, but our last international trip was almost a year ago, so Climber2020's warning is concerning.

I'm intrigued by the First Tech Federal Credit Union card, which is supposedly a true chip and pin card. It would be nice not to have to be the backward American who has to sign for credit card purchases like a heathen. Anyone have experience with this card?
28fe6

Post by 28fe6 »

I like my Uber Visa. No annual fee, no foreign transaction fee, and 4% back on food.
ljfmt

Post by ljfmt »

Go with the Chase Sapphire Reserve. No foreign transaction fees. 3x points earnings on dining and travel. Priority Pass (lounge access) membership included. Google it, tons of reviews online that better describe the benefits. I've had it since it came out 2.5 years ago and it contributes nicely to the fact I haven't paid cash for airfare in 7 years, despite traveling internationally 2-3 times a year. Just pay off your balance every month!
michaeljmroger

Post by michaeljmroger »

I love my AMEX Platinum. Lots of points for flights and hotels, no foreign fees, and top notch service and support. It might not be super widely accepted though.
student

Post by student »

I use Chase Sapphire Reserve as the primary, and BoA Travel Rewards and AMEX as secondary. I also use Schwab and Fidelity ATM cards to get local currency.
fujiters

Post by fujiters »

michaeljmroger wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:44 pm I love my AMEX Platinum. Lots of points for flights and hotels, no foreign fees, and top notch service and support. It might not be super widely accepted though.
I've had problems with Amex (as well as Discover) being accepted abroad (mainly in Europe). It's less an issue with the large purchases, like flights and hotels who are used to payments from around the world, but I find that restaurants and shops will typically only accept Visa or Mastercard. For that reason, I travel with at least one of those. I'm using a Chase Sapphire Preferred card lately, but I also recommend the Capital One Quicksilver. Capital One recently sent me a new card that supports contactless payments which prevents a lot of the trouble I'd previously had with chip+pin payments in Europe, since now I just tap the card and the payment goes through with no receipt spit out to sign.
“The purpose of the margin of safety is to render the forecast unnecessary.” -Benjamin Graham
student

Post by student »

fujiters wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:58 am
michaeljmroger wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:44 pm I love my AMEX Platinum. Lots of points for flights and hotels, no foreign fees, and top notch service and support. It might not be super widely accepted though.
I've had problems with Amex (as well as Discover) being accepted abroad (mainly in Europe). It's less an issue with the large purchases, like flights and hotels who are used to payments from around the world, but I find that restaurants and shops will typically only accept Visa or Mastercard. For that reason, I travel with at least one of those. I'm using a Chase Sapphire Preferred card lately, but I also recommend the Capital One Quicksilver. Capital One recently sent me a new card that supports contactless payments which prevents a lot of the trouble I'd previously had with chip+pin payments in Europe, since now I just tap the card and the payment goes through with no receipt spit out to sign.
For contactless cards, please use a proper wallet or card sleeve to shield from card skimming.
ft2010

Post by ft2010 »

How about a hotel co-branded credit card from Chase (that a modest annual fee is offset by free night allowance)? Of which, Hyatt appears most rewarding in terms of putting spend on the card, while both Marriott and IHG have greater footprint. Do pay attention to the hotel category restriction for each of the free night offerings.
BoglePaul

Post by BoglePaul »

Chase Sapphire (proper, not the Preferred or Reserve). I hear they pickup the phone when you call, no phone system.
NavyIC3

Post by NavyIC3 »

ljfmt wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:36 pm Go with the Chase Sapphire Reserve. No foreign transaction fees. 3x points earnings on dining and travel. Priority Pass (lounge access) membership included. Google it, tons of reviews online that better describe the benefits. I've had it since it came out 2.5 years ago and it contributes nicely to the fact I haven't paid cash for airfare in 7 years, despite traveling internationally 2-3 times a year. Just pay off your balance every month!
CSR also provides travel insurance (trip cancellation, trip interruption, medical evac, primary CDW).
Priority Pass also includes discounts at some restaurants.
terran

Post by terran »

student wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:01 am For contactless cards, please use a proper wallet or card sleeve to shield from card skimming.
Would this be those RFID Blocking wallets?
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

NavyIC3 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:55 am
ljfmt wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:36 pm Go with the Chase Sapphire Reserve. No foreign transaction fees. 3x points earnings on dining and travel. Priority Pass (lounge access) membership included. Google it, tons of reviews online that better describe the benefits. I've had it since it came out 2.5 years ago and it contributes nicely to the fact I haven't paid cash for airfare in 7 years, despite traveling internationally 2-3 times a year. Just pay off your balance every month!
CSR also provides travel insurance (trip cancellation, trip interruption, medical evac, primary CDW).
Not sure about this particular card, but most "card based travel insurance" does *not* cover anything related to pre-existing conditions, be the claim for medical/evac or for trip cancellation/interruption costs.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Alliant Visa. No foreign fees, and 3% cash back first year, 2.5% thereafter :D
student

Post by student »

terran wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:22 am
student wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:01 am For contactless cards, please use a proper wallet or card sleeve to shield from card skimming.
Would this be those RFID Blocking wallets?
Yes.
djheini

Post by djheini »

terran wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:12 pm I'm intrigued by the First Tech Federal Credit Union card, which is supposedly a true chip and pin card. It would be nice not to have to be the backward American who has to sign for credit card purchases like a heathen. Anyone have experience with this card?
Not with that card, but I've found a good solution to that is to put your card(s) in either Apple/Google Pay (depending on if you're a iPhone/Android user) and then pay with contactless. No signature or pin (other than unlocking your phone) required, and almost every major card works this way. You don't even need to have data on your phone to pay this way.

Most of my experience with this was in the UK, so YMMV in other countries as far as how widely supported contactless is.
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

+1 for Cap One Quicksilver. Great all purpose card.

I also just picked up Barclay Arrival+. If you don't mind canceling in a year, the annual fee is waived for the first year. 70,000 points ($700) for $5K spending in the first 3 months, plus 2 points per dollar spent and 5% miles back when redeemed. if you redeem for travel, you get the full value of the points, so effectively 2.1% cash back. No foreign transaction fees.
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

bryansmile wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:32 am Never use a Penfed card overseas, even if you've informed them of your travel plans. They'll call/email you for any charge coming from overseas. While it seemed great fraud protection, it deemed my Penfed cards useless overseas since my cell phone did not work there nor did I have internet access outside of the hotel.
+1 this. PenFed used to be a very good company with great products when I was in the military, now not so much.
It's to the point I'm probably never going to use one of there services again.

Whatever card you pick make sure it has true Chip+Pin. The Barclaycards is one of the few true Chip+Pin's you can get in the USA. Almost all of them are Chip+Sig only.

Also make sure it has some sort of airline ticket protection in case they leave you stranded in some international airport for way over your delay. They try to weasel out of it but it's a way to get some money back.
Last edited by brad.clarkston on Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature issued by Chase.
highdesert

Post by highdesert »

aristotelian wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:51 pm I also just picked up Barclay Arrival+. If you don't mind canceling in a year, the annual fee is waived for the first year. 70,000 points ($700) for $5K spending in the first 3 months, plus 2 points per dollar spent and 5% miles back when redeemed. if you redeem for travel, you get the full value of the points, so effectively 2.1% cash back. No foreign transaction fees.
Barclay also provides honest-to-God chip and PIN cards that will work in things like unattended ticket kiosks. Depending on your destinations, this may be useful.
fortfun

Post by fortfun »

Chase Sapphire and Cap 1 Venture. Carry them separately. Ideally, spouse will have another card too.
ATM - Charles Schwab (But I would take at least one other ATM card from another bank just incase you have problems. Carry them separately.)
YoungBogle

Post by YoungBogle »

If looking for no AF: BofA Travel Rewards, Uber CC from Barclays

If willing to pay an AF: CSR, Alliant Credit Union CC

Other cards to consider if you have existing membership: Costco Visa, Amazon Visa
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

NYCaviator wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:15 am We travel internationally for pleasure a few times a year, and I am looking for recommendations on a credit card with no foreign transaction fees and preferably no annual fee. I have been using a BOA card I've had for years, and only use when overseas, but their customer service has become atrocious. Hold times of over an hour just to talk to someone about a fraudulent charge. So, it's time to look at something else. I don't care about sign-up bonuses, and always pay off in full so interest rate doesn't matter. Thanks in advance!
What airlines do you use when traveling internationally and domestically? If you tend to use a consistent carrier, get one of their branded cards with no transaction fees.

If you are not loyal to any airline, or loyal to UA, I'd get the CSR. After the $300 rebate, their effective annual fee is $150. If you use the card to pay for your airfare, hotels, and restaurants, you will more than make that up in points useable for award redemption.

The CSR is really a no-brainer for the conditions described above.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Cruise wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:47 pm
What airlines do you use when traveling internationally and domestically? If you tend to use a consistent carrier, get one of their branded cards with no transaction fees.

If you are not loyal to any airline, or loyal to UA, I'd get the CSR. After the $300 rebate, their effective annual fee is $150. If you use the card to pay for your airfare, hotels, and restaurants, you will more than make that up in points useable for award redemption.

The CSR is really a no-brainer for the conditions described above.

As noted by a previous poster, the CSR csrs answer the phone when you call, and you just tell them your card number. A very nice system.
oakfan52

Post by oakfan52 »

Chase Sapphire Reaerve wins hands down

1. Free TSA-Pre check or global entry
2. $300 credit per year on travel
3. Double discount on their travel portal when you pay with points vs other chase cards.
4. Lounge access
5. A lot of travel partner transfer options.
6. Free travel coverage.
7. 4 roadside assistance calls a year ($50 per call)

There are many more perks.
algorithm

Post by algorithm »

I travel internationally a lot and I can give you some recommendations based on my own experience.

I really like Barclays UBER Visa card for credit card transactions and Schwab ATM/Debit card for withdrawing cash.

Why do I like Barclays UBER visa card?
1. It has never disappointed me when using it overseas especially on those train kiosk machines in Europe that require a PIN. The card supports chip and PIN.
2. Their customer service is not that bad and I don't remember waiting for that long to talk to customer service.
3. No annual fee and no foreign transactions fees.
4. I get 4% cash back on dining.
5. Barclays is a well-known bank overseas.
6. I get free cell-phone insurance that can cover up to $600 if I use the card to pay my monthly cell phone bill.
7. I get $50 statement credit a year toward Netflix or HBO charges.
8. It is a VISA card and it is accepted almost everywhere.

Why do I like Schwab checking account?
1. I can use Schwab debit card to withdraw cash anywhere in the world with no ATM fees and no foreign transactions fees
2. Schwab reimburses all fees that the local ATM machines charge.
3. Schwab does not charge any fees and does not require any minimum balance.
4. I called Schwab from overseas and their customer service was so quick to help me.

If you don't like the above suggestions, there are other good cards that I recommend. This article has a good list of those cards that are good for frequent international travelers:
https://www.hotpersonalfinance.com/best ... travelers/

Also, since you said you travel internationally, this article might have useful info for you.
https://www.hotpersonalfinance.com/4-th ... must-have/
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

climber2020 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:37 am My primary card is a Capital One Quicksilver.

The one problem with that card is that there is no way to place a travel notification on the card, so if you have an overseas purchase that gets flagged, you need internet access to check your email and unlock your card.
This is true. Sadly, even being able to place a travel notification isn't always sufficient. We just took a trip to Europe this month that included a Viking ocean cruise. Late in the cruise, I got a text from BoA (the card to which shipboard charges were being placed) that a charge submitted by the ship was denied as suspected fraud, even though I had placed a travel notice with BoA delineating all the destinations and dates in the trip.
:annoyed
This happened to me recently in Egypt, and had I not still been in the hotel lobby using the free wifi at the time I got the email, it would have been a big problem. I called Capital One about this, and they recognize the issue but have no solution. So stupid.
Last time I attempted to do a chat with Capital One with a question about using my card overseas, I got a chatbot that could not understand what I was trying to ask; it misunderstood my question, interpreted it as me reporting a fraudulent charge, and indicated that it would cancel the card. (I terminated the chat immediately, and apparently was successful in preventing the cancellation from occurring, as the card is still valid today.) This episode led me to sign up for the Amazon Visa as a backup travel card. So far, no issues with them.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

We will use capital one venture. We have used it in the past and had no trouble using it.
However, I always question: the CC company can make money off of my transactions, not by charging foreign transaction fee, but by giving me inferior conversion rate. What is stopping that from happening?
We usually end up paying everything we can from US, and carry cash. But where we can not pre-pay or use cash, we use CC.
NavyIC3

Post by NavyIC3 »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:32 am
NavyIC3 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:55 am
Not sure about this particular card, but most "card based travel insurance" does *not* cover anything related to pre-existing conditions, be the claim for medical/evac or for trip cancellation/interruption costs.

RM
CSR has a 60 day look back regarding pre-existing conditions.
Pre-Existing Condition – illness, disease or Accidental injury of you,
your Traveling Companion, your Immediate Family Member or the
Immediate Family Member of the Traveling Companion, for which
medical advice, diagnosis, care or treatment was recommended or
received within the 60-day period immediately prior to the purchase
of a Covered Trip. The taking of prescription drugs or medication
for a controlled condition throughout this 60-day period will not be
considered to be a treatment of illness or disease
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

highdesert wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:05 pm Barclay also provides honest-to-God chip and PIN cards that will work in things like unattended ticket kiosks. Depending on your destinations, this may be useful.
I have used credit cards that are not chip and PIN cards in unattended kiosks and they have worked. You either skip the screen that asks for a PIN or you enter 0-0-0-0 and keep going and it works.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:01 amSadly, even being able to place a travel notification isn't always sufficient. We just took a trip to Europe this month that included a Viking ocean cruise. Late in the cruise, I got a text from BoA (the card to which shipboard charges were being placed) that a charge submitted by the ship was denied as suspected fraud, even though I had placed a travel notice with BoA delineating all the destinations and dates in the trip.
The Viking charge may have shown up as coming from their corporate office which is likely in a different city and a different country than where the ship was when you made the charge.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

djheini wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:26 pm Not with that card, but I've found a good solution to that is to put your card(s) in either Apple/Google Pay (depending on if you're a iPhone/Android user) and then pay with contactless. No signature or pin (other than unlocking your phone) required, and almost every major card works this way. You don't even need to have data on your phone to pay this way.
This is a great suggestion, I did exactly this when I went to Europe last year and it worked like a charm at several unattended kiosks, including paying for metro tickets in Prague. It seems that there are many more contactless payment options in Europe that in the U.S.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

+1 on CapOne Quicksilver, my other travel card is Wyndham Barclays CC no fee, no FTF, chip and pin when needed. I have never had a fraud alert when traveling overseas with Quicksilver.
dbr

Post by dbr »

mptfan wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:31 am
djheini wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:26 pm Not with that card, but I've found a good solution to that is to put your card(s) in either Apple/Google Pay (depending on if you're a iPhone/Android user) and then pay with contactless. No signature or pin (other than unlocking your phone) required, and almost every major card works this way. You don't even need to have data on your phone to pay this way.
This is a great suggestion, I did exactly this when I went to Europe last year and it worked like a charm at several unattended kiosks, including paying for metro tickets in Prague. It seems that there are many more contactless payment options in Europe that in the U.S.
Chase recently replaced all their BA/EI/IB affiliated cards with contactless feature. This is also available on request for a number of AMEX cards, the Citi COSTCO card and some others. Eventually contactless and PIN priority will be generally available.
wickywack

Post by wickywack »

terran wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:12 pm I use the Capital One Quicksilver card and haven't had a problem, but our last international trip was almost a year ago, so Climber2020's warning is concerning.

I'm intrigued by the First Tech Federal Credit Union card, which is supposedly a true chip and pin card. It would be nice not to have to be the backward American who has to sign for credit card purchases like a heathen. Anyone have experience with this card?
I use both the First Tech and the Cap One Quicksilver. The combo's been pretty convenient. The First Tech is indeed pin priority - it'll ask for a pin most places, even in the US. Not sure I've ever been asked to sign on that card. Just don't forget your pin! The latest Quicksilver cards support contact-less payment now (which you can do with an NFC-enabled phone too).
dbr

Post by dbr »

I have found credit union actual pin priority cards and contactless cards convenient when traveling outside the US, also even in the US. Pin and contactless are making inroads here. I have no interest in carrying and whipping out a smart phone to pay for things all over the place. One contactless card that has not been so useful is AMEX in countries where many shops and restaurants may not take AMEX. An example where that is a problem is Australia and New Zealand.

Also here in US card companies are starting to abandon asking for signatures on signature cards for many purposes. I am not sure they are extending that practice to those same cards used OUS.
wander

Post by wander »

oakfan52 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:14 am Chase Sapphire Reaerve wins hands down

3. Double discount on their travel portal when you pay with points vs other chase cards.
4. Lounge access
6. Free travel coverage.

Annual fee of $450 is what keeps me away from this card. I am using Priceline Visa, no FTF, 2% always rebate, no annual fee.
Last edited by wander on Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

wander wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:42 pm
oakfan52 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:14 am Chase Sapphire Reaerve wins hands down

4. Lounge access
6. Free travel coverage.

Annual fee of $450 is what keeps me stay away from this card.
But it has a $300 travel credit that's good toward pretty much anything - hotels, airfares, train, Uber, etc. For anyone that's doing even a little bit of travel, it's really a $150 annual fee, and the benefits are very much worth that.
terran

Post by terran »

wickywack wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:27 pm
terran wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:12 pm I use the Capital One Quicksilver card and haven't had a problem, but our last international trip was almost a year ago, so Climber2020's warning is concerning.

I use both the First Tech and the Cap One Quicksilver. The combo's been pretty convenient. The First Tech is indeed pin priority - it'll ask for a pin most places, even in the US. Not sure I've ever been asked to sign on that card. Just don't forget your pin! The latest Quicksilver cards support contact-less payment now (which you can do with an NFC-enabled phone too).
Thanks for chiming in on both counts!

From what I've seen, perhaps the only downside of the First Tech card is that the PIN can only be changed at a First Tech ATM, so since the credit union is only in Portland, OR those of us who aren't there are stuck with whatever PIN they assign. Has that been your experience? Have you run into any other issues from not being local (assuming you're not)?

I've had the Quicksilver card for a long time. Did you sign up recently to get a contactless card, were you able to request one, or did they just send it to you?
wickywack

Post by wickywack »

terran wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:10 pm
wickywack wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:27 pm
Thanks for chiming in on both counts!

From what I've seen, perhaps the only downside of the First Tech card is that the PIN can only be changed at a First Tech ATM, so since the credit union is only in Portland, OR those of us who aren't there are stuck with whatever PIN they assign. Has that been your experience? Have you run into any other issues from not being local (assuming you're not)?

I've had the Quicksilver card for a long time. Did you sign up recently to get a contactless card, were you able to request one, or did they just send it to you?
For First Tech, I'm just using the assigned PIN. I believe you're right on needing an ATM to change it. They do have more locations than Portland though, including one pretty close to me. I've never bothered going in though.

For Quicksilver, it appears any newly issued cards are contactless. My spouse had a card re-issued, and it was contactless. I used their free personalization service to get them to issue a new card for me as well. A bit silly, but I couldn't find any other online way to do it, and I was too lazy to call. At any rate, my new card is indeed contactless in addition to the pretty pattern I picked.
DiploInvestor

Post by DiploInvestor »

Amazon Prime Visa through Chase. No FT fees and at least 1% back on purchases (5% on Amazon purchases - we live overseas and order from them a lot). Some people like AMEX platinum, but it’s hella expensive and I’m told does not work for all airports/lounges. I can also do without $400-500/year in fees - especially now that us feds aren’t being paid!
"History doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes." -- Mark Twain // "If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." — Cicero