Tax prep software with direct input to forms rather than hand holding?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
jfave33

Tax prep software with direct input to forms rather than hand holding?

Post by jfave33 »

I have to efile my state taxes this year due to a credit I claim. Anyway I usually use frefilefillable forms for my federal taxes as I much prefer to directly input into the forms rather than the usual interview hand holding style tax prep software.

But freefilefillable forms won't do for efile as I usually have one or other page or schedule I need to add manually - so I print it all out, add the extras and file by mail. Same with the state taxes just fill out the official pdf form and mail by hand.

Any tax prep software which allow direct input into forms? What about software that allows a notes page or something like that in case something needs explanation eg an ira recharacterization in certain cases?

Taxslayer seems like it might fit?

Thanks.
FiveK

Re: Tax prep software with direct input to forms rather than hand holding?

Post by FiveK »

I think all of the usual packages have a "form view" mode in which one can input numbers more or less directly. E.g., you might have to enter W-2 numbers into a W-2 form, from which the software carries W-2 box 1 to the 1040.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

TurboTax allows form input, including overrides of fields if you don't want to have to fill in a form that feeds another forum, such as a W2, 1099, etc.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Svensk Anga

Post by Svensk Anga »

How about attaching a note? Last year I had to mail in my return (50+ pages), presumably because I took the special deduction for a federally declared disaster area (hurricane Irma) and they needed a statement attached. Used H&R Block software.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Is it true that if you override a number in tax prep software, then the tax prep software won't let you e-file and you must mail it in?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

jjface wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:36 am I have to efile my state taxes this year due to a credit I claim. Anyway I usually use frefilefillable forms for my federal taxes as I much prefer to directly input into the forms rather than the usual interview hand holding style tax prep software.

But freefilefillable forms won't do for efile as I usually have one or other page or schedule I need to add manually - so I print it all out, add the extras and file by mail. Same with the state taxes just fill out the official pdf form and mail by hand.

Any tax prep software which allow direct input into forms? What about software that allows a notes page or something like that in case something needs explanation eg an ira recharacterization in certain cases?

Taxslayer seems like it might fit?

Thanks.
You can only get the credit if you eFile? What state and credit is that?
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

livesoft wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:57 am Is it true that if you override a number in tax prep software, then the tax prep software won't let you e-file and you must mail it in?
That has not been my experience.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
talzara

Post by talzara »

livesoft wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:57 am Is it true that if you override a number in tax prep software, then the tax prep software won't let you e-file and you must mail it in?
Yes, consumer tax software has this limitation. Once you override a field, you can no longer e-file.
Svensk Anga wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:50 am How about attaching a note? Last year I had to mail in my return (50+ pages), presumably because I took the special deduction for a federally declared disaster area (hurricane Irma) and they needed a statement attached. Used H&R Block software.
That is another limitation of consumer tax software. You can provide a statement, but only for forms where the software lets you. You cannot attach a statement to every form.

Professional tax software usually allows you to e-file after overriding, and it also allows you to attach statements as PDF files. However, professional tax software costs $300 or more.
talzara

Post by talzara »

RickBoglehead wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:02 am
That has not been my experience.
It's not an override if you change a data entry field. It's only an override if you change a calculated field.

If you override any calculated field, Turbotax will no longer allow you to e-file.
How do I override (replace) an amount calculated by TurboTax?

The TurboTax CD/Download software lets you override, or replace, the amounts it calculates. Because overriding can only be done in Forms Mode, you won't be able to do this in TurboTax Online.

Important: Under normal circumstances you shouldn't need to override anything. In fact, overriding may invalidate our 100% Accurate Calculations Guarantee. Additionally, returns that contain overrides cannot be e-filed.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/18991 ... y-turbotax
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Thanks for the clarification. Entering W2 data directly into a return would be data entry, not calculated, right?
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

RickBoglehead wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:51 pm Thanks for the clarification. Entering W2 data directly into a return would be data entry, not calculated, right?
Depends on the software and what is meant by "directly". E.g., the software might want W-2 info entered on a "W-2 screen" from which the software will add "all" W-2 box 1 entries for form 1040 line 1.
JGoneRiding

Post by JGoneRiding »

Omg maybe nothing I did last year could I get turbo to let me file and there is one stupid line I have to enter by hand!
lstone19

Post by lstone19 »

FiveK wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:43 pm
RickBoglehead wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:51 pm Thanks for the clarification. Entering W2 data directly into a return would be data entry, not calculated, right?
Depends on the software and what is meant by "directly". E.g., the software might want W-2 info entered on a "W-2 screen" from which the software will add "all" W-2 box 1 entries for form 1040 line 1.
TurboTax stores each W-2 as it's own form. Every field on the individual W-2 is a "user entered" field which can be changed in forms mode. They roll up to a W2 Summary which is all "calculated" and from there to the 1040.

Changes to a "user entered" field, whether via an interview or via forms mode are fine - you're the user entering the data. But, as said before, if you "override" calculated fields, you disable e-filing. If you enter something different in TT than what was on the source W-2, TT has no way to know you entered something different. And TT does not distinguish between first input and later changes in a "user entered" field.