Furloughed Fed Employee - How to make best use of time

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
zhy0916

Re: Furloughed Fed Employee - How to make best use of time

Post by zhy0916 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:15 pm

InvisibleAerobar wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:13 pm
zhy0916 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:40 pm
Start a side hustle, if you like to generate some extra income.
that may or may not require prior approval, depending on the agency
Agree, hustles like pet sitting/walking usually don't require employers' approval or conflict checks.

MnD

Post by MnD » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:18 pm

Exercise including activities you want to do but take too much time to do on a daily exercise routine while working.
Do things you enjoy or at least are OK with doing but now pay others to do to save time.
Go over your investment plan with a fine tooth comb. Are there improvements to be made or costs lowered?
If you are a 2-income family, make life better for your working spouse. Shopping, cleaning, great home-cooked meals waiting.
Great time for low-cost but time consuming home improvement projects. 1980's-era wallpaper stripping? Painting the third bedroom or inside of all the closets?
Don't go selling off your stuff but if you have a bunch of things you wanted to sell on eBay or Craigslist anyways, now you have the time for photos, ads and dealing with buyers.
Go over your recurring expenses like streaming subscriptions, your Internet/cable plan, cell phone plans, what rewards credit cards you are using and dump anything you aren't using or isn't supplying adequate value for the price. Maybe make a better reward cards credit card plan by reading points/miles orientated sites.
Booking optimum miles/points flights is a real pain and you can do so almost a year out. If yyou have a lot of miles/points you can camp out on-line on your airline and hotel web sites and snag some great flights and/or hotel rooms for 6-12 months out when the shutdown is a distant memory.

Review your plan and timeline for financial independence and retirement. In 1990 during a time of personal and professional challenges, I made a firm plan to retire from the government in August of 2018. As I closed in on the date in 2018 I modified it to 11/30/2018 based on a number of factors and explicitly didn't stretch it another month until 12/31/18 because I knew another potential lapse in appropriation was coming up in December 2018. I suggest you make a plan to set a date for your financial independence so if around that time you are still ready to go and/or things are a mess for federal civil service for whatever reason, you can just say bye-bye.
Last edited by MnD on Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
70/30 AA, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if FI <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.

SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:22 pm

deskjockey wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:47 pm
SquawkIdent wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:23 am

That was a question I had about "non essential" folks returning to work after the furlough is over. In general, how much time are you given to start working again? The next business day, later than that, etc.?

Thanks.
Yes, next business day for the vast majority of feds.
Well, that's really unfortunate. Basically just waiting around in limbo. :oops:

MnD

Post by MnD » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:46 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:14 am
Great idea about driving for Uber, but wonder will the government check.
The idea that agencies will perform some sort of post-shutdown "scan and sweep" for things like Uber driving when their employees were locked out and not being paid made me chuckle.
70/30 AA, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if FI <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:12 pm

MnD wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:46 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
The idea that agencies will perform some sort of post-shutdown "scan and sweep" for things like Uber driving when their employees were locked out and not being paid made me chuckle.
Not now, but maybe when they reopen and check that you did have earnings from Uber from 2019. Who knows, but very unlikely I know.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:41 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:12 pm
MnD wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:46 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Not now, but maybe when they reopen and check that you did have earnings from Uber from 2019. Who knows, but very unlikely I know.
No experience with Uber, but from reports I read - the demand for Uber transportation is down a lot because of the partial federal government shutdown.

MichDad

Post by MichDad » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:26 pm

zhy0916 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:15 pm
InvisibleAerobar wrote:
zhy0916 wrote:
Agree, hustles like pet sitting/walking usually don't require employers' approval or conflict checks.
At my old federal agency, any and all paid work and most volunteer work requires supervisor and ethics officer approval. I needed these approvals to serve as the unpaid trustee of a family trust. A former agency colleague started a small pet sitting service and needed the same approvals.

MichDad

ICMoney

Post by ICMoney » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:18 am

Update your beneficiaries for TSP, FEGLI, FERS, and any non-fed accounts if needed (IRAs, HSA, etc.). Finding the fed plan beneficiary forms and getting them ready to mail out (since they must be done on paper per my experience) takes a bit of time and could be a good housekeeping task to get done.

Best, ICM

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:38 am

Listen to all of these excellent podcasts hosted by Rick Ferri. (Thanks Rick)
https://bogleheads.podbean.com

Try a 30 day free trial to Audible, listen to some great books while cooking or doing those projects around the home you have not caught up on already.

I am especially enjoying re”reading” the wonderful Patrick O'Brian Aubrey/Maturin novels of the British Navy during the Napoleonic Wars. Unfortunately the very first novel in the series is on kindle but seems to be unavailable on audible at present.
One reviewer calls this series, “the best historical novels ever written.”

Also for anyone who appreciates the value of government service, recommend a very good book I just finished yesterday, “The Fifth Risk” by Michael Lewis.
Bruce | | Winner of the 2017 Bogleheads Contest | | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:25 pm

Go hang at the gym and get some exercise.

Go do some fun stuff, read a book, road trip,...etc
VTWAX and chill.

zhy0916

Post by zhy0916 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:31 pm

MichDad wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:26 pm
zhy0916 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:15 pm
InvisibleAerobar wrote:
zhy0916 wrote:
At my old federal agency, any and all paid work and most volunteer work requires supervisor and ethics officer approval. I needed these approvals to serve as the unpaid trustee of a family trust. A former agency colleague started a small pet sitting service and needed the same approvals.

MichDad

Good to know, thanks!