Anyone ever filed an unpaid wage claim against employer?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
neveragain

Anyone ever filed an unpaid wage claim against employer?

Post by neveragain »

Has anyone here filed an unpaid wage claim against an employer for wages past due? And if so, what was the outcome?
DrakeSRT

Re: Anyone ever filed an unpaid wage claim against employer?

Post by DrakeSRT »

I have back in 1991. Employer paid me the day before the hearing at the labor board.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

No, but have been on the other side in HR a few times. The vast majority go away after a response from the company's legal rep. The couple that went further were at mediation and were settled for a pittance, not even enough to hit the business insurance.
codedude

Post by codedude »

I did in 2002. Sent letter to the state workforce commission. Employer ignored the workforce commission’s letters. Workforce commission blocked employer’s bank account, sent me a check for amount due.
Scrapr

Post by Scrapr »

I tried. Former employer had me on a salary plusa a profit bonus. I gave notice..about a month as i recall. paid out my salary but no bonus. I did notice that many many truck & trailers got new tires during my notice period. I suspect the owner was spending my bonus on truck repairs. Called the Labor Dept. they said they can't adjudicate bonus. I never received an accounting either. One of those life lessons where i learned how not to be a boss
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Scrapr wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:41 pm I tried. Former employer had me on a salary plusa a profit bonus. I gave notice..about a month as i recall. paid out my salary but no bonus. I did notice that many many truck & trailers got new tires during my notice period. I suspect the owner was spending my bonus on truck repairs. Called the Labor Dept. they said they can't adjudicate bonus. I never received an accounting either. One of those life lessons where i learned how not to be a boss
Also, don’t give notice before bonus is paid.
btenny

Post by btenny »

Never for me but my brother in law did. His boss at a small company just did not pay him and kept working contracts and so forth. So after a while my BIL quit and kept asking for his back pay. So after about a year he filed a claim at Labor relations (some govt office) and with his union. After some time he went to a hearing and got a judgement against the company. Then the union suspended the company. And the state of California suspended the guys license for a while. My BIL never got his back pay and the company never got any more state work or union jobs. But his company still exists.

Good Luck.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I left a company just after the end of the FY. Their rule was that you had to be with the company the entire year to qualify for year end bonus. When I got my bonus check a couple of months later it was short $8k. I knew exactly what financials were in my division at year end and met with new executive in charge. He was adversarial and would not budge. I felt it would be too distracting to contest this, plus they could have easily adjusted year end financials after the fact. So I decided to just move on. I had a really good relationship withthe company owners and did not want to damage that. I believe it was good that I did not push the matter further because the owners were very influential in the IT community and proved helpful to me in the future.