What's your experience upgrading to Quicken 2018 or 2019?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
LookinAround

What's your experience upgrading to Quicken 2018 or 2019?

Post by LookinAround » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:47 pm

I'm running Quicken 2016. My bank/CC/investment account auto-updates expire end of April 2019. So... I went online looking to get a subscription to Quicken 2019. But I see recent reviews of people complaining about bugs in auto-update and other features. I located a copy of Quicken 2017 at a local computer store retailer. I'm considering buying it to defer subscribing for another year (more time for them to get the bugs out)

I'm curious to any feedback from anyone using Q 2018/2019? Bugs? How smooth was the upgrade process and how well does the product work?

Toons

Re: What's your experience upgrading to Quicken 2018 or 2019?

Post by Toons » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:54 pm

I have been a quicken user since 1993.
I subscribed last year,,,2 year plan.
I was recently upgraded to 2019
Rather than go into a lot of detail,
There have been many improvements in the software since Intuit sold the division.
There seems to be more developmental focus on the product now.
Updates are enhancing the product in an ongoing way.
The installation was a breeze,,and so far no glitches.
Very satisfied with the product.
Paying for a subscription does not bother me in the least.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

maineminder

Post by maineminder » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:01 pm

Toons wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:54 pm
I have been a quicken user since 1993.
I subscribed last year,,,2 year plan.
I was recently upgraded to 2019
Rather than go into a lot of detail,
There have been many improvements in the software since Intuit sold the division.
There seems to be more developmental focus on the product now.
Updates are enhancing the product in an ongoing way.
The installation was a breeze,,and so far no glitches.
Very satisfied with the product.
Paying for a subscription does not bother me in the least.
:happy
This sort of post has come up a few times without a compelling reason as to what the actually improvements are. Quickens own information on the improvements is vague.

Can you offer a few of the improvements that you've found most useful? I know I'm struggling with moving to the subscription model before my 2017 version won't allow downloads in 2020.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:18 pm

I’m similar to Toons. I started using Quicken in 1991 with Quicken for DOS and was recently on 2016 Deluxe, which as you mentioned stops doing downloads in 2019. I upgraded to a 2 year subscription in December. I had no issues with the upgrade and everything is functioning fine for me. I have not noticed any significant updates in the new version beyond a slightly improved user interface, but we will see what they do with the product going forward. It’s still highly useful for me.

MP123

Post by MP123 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:23 pm

I've also been a Quicken user since the early 90's and just upgraded from 2017 to the new Quicken.

There really isn't much difference that I notice, the two versions are 95%+ the same as far as I can tell. The new version does more with uploading your info to the web (if you really want it to, I don't) but other than that it's very similar.

I don't particularly like the new subscription payment model but the product itself is the best at what it does and still works just like it did.

Goldrush

Post by Goldrush » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:54 am

If you decide to upgrade to Quicken 2018 or 2019, do not ever let your subscription expire or you will see 2 nag banners to renew on your screen that will take up to 25% of your screen space.

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencomm ... creen-that

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencomm ... -used-when

I have been using Quicken since 1992 (still have the floppies :D ) and currently using 2016 Quicken Home and Business. I enter all my transactions manually and I have no plans to upgrade at the present time. If Quicken decides to eliminate the nag screens, then I might consider upgrading.

acegolfer

Post by acegolfer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:24 am

Goldrush wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:54 am
If you decide to upgrade to Quicken 2018 or 2019, do not ever let your subscription expire or you will see 2 nag banners to renew on your screen that will take up to 25% of your screen space.

I have been using Quicken since 1992 (still have the floppies :D ) and currently using 2016 Quicken Home and Business. I enter all my transactions manually and I have no plans to upgrade at the present time. If Quicken decides to eliminate the nag screens, then I might consider upgrading.
Goldrush,

I have the same 2016 Quicken. Just like you, I have no plans to upgrade. Will I see 2 nag banners taking up 25% of screen asking to renew/update after 04/2019? This is concerning.

(It's not clear whether the discussion in your link is for 2016 or later subscription models.)

Goldrush

Post by Goldrush » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:32 am

acegolfer wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:24 am
Goldrush wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:54 am

Goldrush,

I have the same 2016 Quicken. Just like you, I have no plans to upgrade. Will I see 2 nag banners taking up 25% of screen asking to renew/update after 04/2019? This is concerning.

(It's not clear whether the discussion in your link is for 2016 or later subscription models.)
The nag screens will only appear in the 2018/2019 versions.
2017 and earlier versions will not have the nag screens. Hopefully that won't change.

Edited to add: You will still see the occasional nag screen to update when you log in to the 2016 version but I can live with that.
Last edited by Goldrush on Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Strayshot

Post by Strayshot » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:34 am

I love Quicken, been a user for more than a decade.

My upgrade to 2018 and the follow up upgrade to 2019 went off without a hitch. No data loss or any other issues. I track multiple retirement accounts, bank accounts, loans, mortgage, and credit cards.

I prefer the modern software-as-a-service approach that Quicken has moved to (along with most of the rest of the software world). People constantly complain about the subscription model, but the days of buying a software product and using it forever (or many years) with free fixes/patches/ports are gone because the state of change within technology is too rapid.

I actually feel like the Quicken product is getting more stable under the current company, I have had no crashes or anything else since the upgrade to 2018 (previously it would randomly crash on updates to my accounts).

PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:38 am

Also a long-time Quicken User here (late '80s or early '90s). I purchased a subscription a year or so ago when they offered 2 years for the price of one (or so). I do think the product seems more stable now than ever before. In the years past, as they issued updates, on more than one occasion the update broke something obvious (or even stopped me from starting Quicken). I have NOT seen anything like that for a couple years now. However, I also do not really see any new functionality that has been added that I find useful. I like it for account transaction downloading/tracking and reporting and not much more. I'm not sure there really is ANY new functionality that they could add that I would want to use. But I will likely stick with it since I have not found anything I like better.

acegolfer

Post by acegolfer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:56 am

Goldrush wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:32 am

Edited to add: You will still see the occasional nag screen to update when you log in to the 2016 version but I can live with that.
Confirmed. I see that pop up time to time. I ignore and just close it. No big deal. Hope it stays like this in future.

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:07 am

I don't mind the subscription either, if it continues to help the product. Sure, it is nice to buy something one time, then receive updates forever, but is that really a sustainable business model? Quicken has been very useful to me.

gasdoc

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:30 am

Interesting. Not one person has listed any improvements in functionality. That's also what I'm interested in (Quicken 2016 user). No plans to upgrade at this point.

For those that bought Quicken 2017 (on CD, no downloads from www.bobhassoftware.com - made up name), where did you find a good deal? I haven't found it for a good price. Quicken did a good job (probably Intuit before split) in removing it from shelves.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

CRTR

Post by CRTR » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:57 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:30 am
Interesting. Not one person has listed any improvements in functionality. That's also what I'm interested in (Quicken 2016 user). No plans to upgrade at this point.

For those that bought Quicken 2017 (on CD, no downloads from www.bobhassoftware.com - made up name), where did you find a good deal? I haven't found it for a good price. Quicken did a good job (probably Intuit before split) in removing it from shelves.
I got a pretty good deal on Ebay. 2017 Home and Business for $59, delivered. Amazon has it for $89

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:01 am

I am still on Q 2017, so can't answer your specific question. However, I know there has not been a significant improvement to me in Quicken in 15 years at least, which is why it has made sense to only upgrade every three years. There are still bugs that have persisted forever, e.g., having to click the Quicken tab on the menu bar three times instead of once to get the Quicken window to appear over some other program. All that said, next year once my downloads stop I will probably start paying the annual fee since the program is worth it to me; however, I have seen nothing to cause me to jump on the new version right away since it seems to offer nothing new I would care about.

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:32 am

I upgraded to Quicken Premier 2019 from Quicken Premier 2016 (for PC in both cases) in early November 2018. No issues or bugs related to the upgrade or since. I haven't explored every corner of the software, but I really only identify 3 differences so far: 1)the user base will generally all be on the releases at the same time now, hopefully making diagnostics easier from the Quicken side, 2)Quicken Bill Pay is now free (started with 2018 version actually), and 3)I hear that their mobile functionality has improved (can't say, myself, as I'm not using it yet). And a 4th difference if you count the minor change in screen appearance.

I have NOT found Quicken to be buggy for a long time now. Not 2019, 2016 or 2014. Not compared to any other software I use, and given the breadth of what it does. I can only think of 3 areas where I've experienced anything negative at all:

1)Connectivity. This seems more a function of the connecting institutions than of Quicken itself nowadays. Those institutions change something, bring their systems down for maintenance, or somehow break the links, and downloads fail. The Quicken Community is a great resource for saving time on this: I can immediately see if other users are having the same problem, and then decide to wait it out (95% of the time this works for me)/or reset the connection (seconds to do)/ or (VERY rarely, maybe once every 2-3 years) disconnect/reconnect the account from online services. This was my big concern as the Quicken user base declines in number - that these problems would get more frequent - but I can't say this has cost me any real time in years and, for me, is NOT getting worse. Plus, I have two separate Quicken accounts with many connected institutions (and a small overlap in those), so I pretty much can figure out if an issue needs addressing or is transient in seconds. I'll also point out that this problem seems much less frequent with institutions using Quicken's Direct Connect (vs. Express Web Connect). I don't recall ever, for example, having an issue with Schwab.

2)Reports. They could have more modern report writing functionality either as part of Quicken or an add-on. But standard reports do most of what I want nowadays. Some of us users would like to get the "Maturity Date For Bonds and CDs Report" fixed, but I can live with it.

3)File corruption. Some of this is easily detectable and easily fixable. Some is not. As mentioned, I have 2 large Quicken files. One dates back to 1996 and has been accessed over the home network (yeah, I know), used by multiple people and has a lot of data. That file is perfect. I started another file for a family member a few years ago (one user, no network access, much simpler), and THAT file has some minor corruption (one damaged data record). No symptoms, no data issues, doesn't resolve with validate or super-validate functions. This kind of scares me because backups (I have them) don't help unless you get an indicator that a problem exists. In my case, in preparation for 2019 conversion, I ran validate commands on file copies before proceeding. That is the only way I would ever have found this. To fix it, only a backup from January of 2018 was free of the issue. Not a practical solution. Looking at the Quicken Community, this has happened to many users. To avoid this in the future, I've changed my routine before each backup (make a file copy > validate >revert to original file > run backup). So I can mitigate the risk from here on out.

After the captive data issue got resolved when the subscription model was announced (so Quicken does not disable historical data access when your subscription lapses, only online update capability ends), I played around with data exporting. Frankly I was surprised at how quick and easy is was to export individual register data to Excel (or text). Except for investment registers, which would require some data file export and import. When I was concerned about data corruption in that one file, I exported all my registers to Excel - just in case. Took a few minutes, that's it. It removed my fear of losing history.

I'm just trying to supply details relevant to your question, but my bottom line is that Quicken is an indispensable tool for me and I have been very relieved so far that the ownership change has given it a future. As to the switch to subscription model - I'm happy with it, and now prefer it. I much prefer always having have the current version at all times to the 3 year update cycle. I guess Office 365 broke me in on that. As long as updates don't break anything - and so far I have not seen or heard of this happening.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:48 pm

Strayshot wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:34 am
I love Quicken, been a user for more than a decade.

My upgrade to 2018 and the follow up upgrade to 2019 went off without a hitch. No data loss or any other issues. I track multiple retirement accounts, bank accounts, loans, mortgage, and credit cards.

I prefer the modern software-as-a-service approach that Quicken has moved to (along with most of the rest of the software world). People constantly complain about the subscription model, but the days of buying a software product and using it forever (or many years) with free fixes/patches/ports are gone because the state of change within technology is too rapid.

I actually feel like the Quicken product is getting more stable under the current company, I have had no crashes or anything else since the upgrade to 2018 (previously it would randomly crash on updates to my accounts).
Ditto,in bold
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:58 pm

The biggest changes with 2019 are in online access to your data. I'm just starting to look at it. I like the concept, but I haven't started using it yet.

Like others, I've seen an improvement in stability as well. I also like the subscription model. It's costing me a little more, but it saves me the hassle of shopping for each new version.

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:14 pm

I have Quicken 2017. At what point will I have to make a decision about converting to the subscription versions?
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:26 pm

radiowave wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:14 pm
I have Quicken 2017. At what point will I have to make a decision about converting to the subscription versions?
Around April of 2020 if you want to continue using online services such as transaction downloads.

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:28 pm

Thanks!
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:18 pm

As someone who is currently using 2017, I’m curious why you wanted to upgrade? I looked at 2018 and didn’t see any meaningful changes.
MP123 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:23 pm
I've also been a Quicken user since the early 90's and just upgraded from 2017 to the new Quicken.

There really isn't much difference that I notice, the two versions are 95%+ the same as far as I can tell. The new version does more with uploading your info to the web (if you really want it to, I don't) but other than that it's very similar.

I don't particularly like the new subscription payment model but the product itself is the best at what it does and still works just like it did.

NoHeat

Post by NoHeat » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:39 pm

Kenkat wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:26 pm
radiowave wrote:
Around April of 2020 if you want to continue using online services such as transaction downloads.
The workaround is to enter transactions manually, and import quotes through a spreadsheet. That’s what I do. I’ll keep using Quicken 2016 for hopefully quite a few years, without paying Quicken anything beyond what I spent on the 2016 installation disc.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:54 pm

NoHeat wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:39 pm
Kenkat wrote:
radiowave wrote:
The workaround is to enter transactions manually, and import quotes through a spreadsheet. That’s what I do. I’ll keep using Quicken 2016 for hopefully quite a few years, without paying Quicken anything beyond what I spent on the 2016 installation disc.
I guess it’s a sign that we have too much money, or that I’m really lazy, but for the subscription price, I’m not going to worry about it. It they start charging $300/year, probably what it’s worth to me, I’ll take notice and think about it. Until then, zzzzzzz.

ETA: heck, I think it’s cheaper than ESPN, and I don’t even watch that, except for the World Series of Poker.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

acegolfer

Post by acegolfer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:48 pm

NoHeat wrote:
The workaround is to enter transactions manually,
I also do it manually but don't have to enter each transaction line by line.
1. From bank/credit cards sites, export transactions as QFX (or QXF) file.
2. From quicken>file>import transactions.

After a few practice, it works really nice.

Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:35 pm

I had been using 2012 Deluxe and upgraded his month. Quicken offered a 2-year subscription for $59 and the upgrade could not have been easier.

coldnose

Post by coldnose » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:46 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:54 pm
NoHeat wrote:
Kenkat wrote:
radiowave wrote:
I guess it’s a sign that we have too much money, or that I’m really lazy, but for the subscription price, I’m not going to worry about it. It they start charging $300/year, probably what it’s worth to me, I’ll take notice and think about it. Until then, zzzzzzz.

ETA: heck, I think it’s cheaper than ESPN, and I don’t even watch that, except for the World Series of Poker.
Agree. Too much hubbub about the price but it's cheap compared to value of assets it's managing. In fact, this is my suggestion to Quicken : focus future version towards those of us managing investments rather than managing checkbooks & budgets, etc. We have more money and are willing to pay for a better product!

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:49 pm

It's been a solid product since the switched to the other company.
VT/VTWAX+BNDW

MP123

Post by MP123 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:59 pm

CardinalRule wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:18 pm
As someone who is currently using 2017, I’m curious why you wanted to upgrade? I looked at 2018 and didn’t see any meaningful changes.
MP123 wrote:

Mostly so I can continue to use the transaction download. In previous versions it used to sunset after three years so that's when I'd upgrade.

I agree with you there really aren't any meaningful changes in the new version.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:54 pm

coldnose wrote:In fact, this is my suggestion to Quicken : focus future version towards those of us managing investments rather than managing checkbooks & budgets, etc. We have more money and are willing to pay for a better product!
Winner winner chicken dinner.

Strayshot

Post by Strayshot » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:35 am

So many people in this thread mention inputting transactions by hand and it totally blows my mind! :confused

If I had to manually enter all of my transactions, it would literally take me like an hour each day of pure pain and suffering. I have a single retirement account (from Ascensus) that won’t download into Quicken, and it still takes a good 20+ minutes every month to get the transactions in and make sure the price and share numbers are correct and I hate it.

For me, there is no other product that can do what Quicken does for me across 40+ different styles of acccounts and I’m with TomatoTomahto in that I will start to worry about cost when it enters the multi-hundred per year range (more than $1 a day of the year). I easily get at least that in value from the current Quicken product.

maineminder

Post by maineminder » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:43 am

I'd be happy if they just added the ability to let you create a credit card bill reminder based on the posting date rather than the account balance on the day it's due. (the other options to work for me either)

I'd go for the subscription just based on that rather than waiting for 2020.

I asked for that years ago as of others.... sigh.....

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:23 am

maineminder wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:43 am
I'd be happy if they just added the ability to let you create a credit card bill reminder based on the posting date rather than the account balance on the day it's due. (the other options to work for me either)
Maybe I don’t understand. I have mine set to autopay, but if I needed a reminder that it was coming due, wouldn’t my phone do that as well or better than Quicken?

maineminder

Post by maineminder » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:01 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:23 am
maineminder wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:43 am
Maybe I don’t understand. I have mine set to autopay, but if I needed a reminder that it was coming due, wouldn’t my phone do that as well or better than Quicken?
Quicken allows you you to create bill reminders. When creating one of these you tell quicken the due date, how many days prior you want to be reminded and and estimate of the bill amount.

For the estimate you have four choices; Fixed amount, Previous payments, time of year, and current credit card balance on the day it's due.

I'd like to add one more, estimate based on posting balance. The amount I really need to pay is the posting date balance when my bill was created, not the balance on the day it's due

Not to second guess them, but they have the data to update the bill after the posting date (prior just use the credit card balance). Just a simple matter of coding the database query correctly :-)

I'm not aware of a way to do this via my phone as I don't use quicken on my phone.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:37 pm

The idea that I need to subscribe in order to get a stable version of Quicken after buying Quicken for decades is pretty sad. I have 2017 and will reevaluate what to do when it stops downloading in 15 months. Frankly, I haven't seen useful (to me), substantial new feature for probably a decade or more. The reporting has essentially been the same since I started using it in the 90s. That being said, the alternatives (and I've tried a few) don't excite me.

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:13 am

I see. Quicken 2017 will sunset in April 2020. I kicked the can down the road by buying 2017, but after that I will reluctantly, but likely, subscribe.
MP123 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:59 pm
CardinalRule wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:18 pm
MP123 wrote:
Mostly so I can continue to use the transaction download. In previous versions it used to sunset after three years so that's when I'd upgrade.

I agree with you there really aren't any meaningful changes in the new version.

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:20 am

That, and in other threads, folks talk about creating and maintaining complex Excel files to avoid using, and paying for, Quicken's electronic functionality. False economy. Do I get a dollar a day in value from Quicken? Yes. And I literally download daily, with a couple of keystrokes.

Everyone's situation - and available time - are different, I guess, but I would never want to manually enter transactions for my three taxable brokerage accounts, four bank accounts, three credit cards, several retirement accounts, etc.

That does remind me of my resolution to consider consolidating a little, particularly on the retirement-account side. :wink: Still, I need download capability.
Strayshot wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:35 am
So many people in this thread mention inputting transactions by hand and it totally blows my mind! :confused

If I had to manually enter all of my transactions, it would literally take me like an hour each day of pure pain and suffering. I have a single retirement account (from Ascensus) that won’t download into Quicken, and it still takes a good 20+ minutes every month to get the transactions in and make sure the price and share numbers are correct and I hate it.

For me, there is no other product that can do what Quicken does for me across 40+ different styles of acccounts and I’m with TomatoTomahto in that I will start to worry about cost when it enters the multi-hundred per year range (more than $1 a day of the year). I easily get at least that in value from the current Quicken product.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:39 am

CardinalRule wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:20 am
That, and in other threads, folks talk about creating and maintaining complex Excel files to avoid using, and paying for, Quicken's electronic functionality. False economy. Do I get a dollar a day in value from Quicken? Yes. And I literally download daily, with a couple of keystrokes.

Everyone's situation - and available time - are different, I guess, but I would never want to manually enter transactions for my three taxable brokerage accounts, four bank accounts, three credit cards, several retirement accounts, etc.

That does remind me of my resolution to consider consolidating a little, particularly on the retirement-account side. :wink: Still, I need download capability.
Strayshot wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:35 am

I agree. I am not going to spend countless hours entering stuff manually into some makeshift spreadsheet. Not worth the time over the cost of Quicken. If I bail on Quicken it will be because I stop tracking all that stuff or I find a competing product I like better. Though I don't make many decisions based off the data gathered in Quicken, after 25+ years it would be hard to give up. I like having all that data to compare spending, see all my investments on one page, look up when I bought something, etc.

Mlm

Post by Mlm » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:25 pm

I updated yesterday. It took a few minutes and went perfectly.

deskjockey

Post by deskjockey » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:45 pm

NoHeat wrote:

May I ask, how do you import quotes through a spreadsheet?

NoHeat

Post by NoHeat » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:30 pm

deskjockey wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:45 pm

May I ask, how do you import quotes through a spreadsheet?
Certainly.

Quicken provides a menu item to import quotes. The quotes should have already been saved in a file, in the .csv (comma delimited) format. The file should have two columns: ticker symbol and price.

For example, if you wanted just three symbols, ITOT, BND, and MSFT, the contents of the .csv file might look like this, with today's prices:

ITOT,59.33
BND,79.27
MSFT,105.1

So the .csv file is really uncomplicated, and it doesn't matter whether you use upper case. The question is just how to generate that .csv file conveniently, if you have a lot of symbols:
1. My approach is to save a portfolio in yahoo finance, which I happen to have anyway. When I open that portfolio in yahoo, the quotes automatically update. I then click the obvious 'export' icon in yahoo finance, causing the quotes to all open in a spreadsheet program like excel. The two columns I want are the first two, so in excel I delete all the columns except the two that I mentioned, then I save in the format .csv, then close the file in excel. You now have the desired .csv file on your computer, ready to import into quicken. The whole process takes about one minute, and the only gotcha I've discovered is that it's necessary to close the file in excel before you import it into quicken.
2. Another approach, which I haven't tried, but might be a little quicker on a daily basis is to avoid using a website like yahoo; just prepare the .csv file entirely in excel, using excel's stock quote feature, with your list of ticker symbols typed into the excel file.

I've been doing this for maybe 15 years, and I've bought new versions of quicken only a couple of times, when the old version quit working under a new version of windows. I'm presently using it with Quicken 2016.
Last edited by NoHeat on Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deskjockey

Post by deskjockey » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:35 pm

NoHeat wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:30 pm
Certainly.

Quicken provides a menu item to import quotes. The quotes should have already been saved in a file, in the .csv (comma delimited) format. The file should have two columns: ticker symbol and price.

For example, if you wanted just three symbols, ITOT, BND, and MSFT, the contents of the .csv file might look like this:

ITOT,59.33
BND,79.27
MSFT,105.1

So the .csv file is really uncomplicated, and it doesn't matter whether you use upper case. The question is just how to generate that .csv file conveniently, if you have a lot of symbols:
1. My approach is to save a portfolio in yahoo finance, which I happen to have anyway. I open that portfolio in yahoo and the quotes automatically update. I then click the obvious 'export' icon in yahoo finance, causing the quotes to all open in a spreadsheet program like excel. The two columns I want are the first two, so in excel I delete all the columns except the two that I mentioned, then I save in the format .csv, then close the file in excel. You now have the desired .csv file on your computer, ready to import into quicken. The whole process takes about one minute, and the only gotcha I've discovered is that it's necessary to close the file in excel before you import it into quicken.
2. Another approach, which I haven't tried, but might be a little quicker on a daily basis is to avoid using a website like yahoo; just prepare the .csv file entirely in excel, using excel's stock quote feature, with your list of ticker symbols typed into the excel file.

I've been doing this for maybe 15 years, and I've bought new versions of quicken only a couple of times, when the old version quit working with a new version of windows.
Thanks, I had not thought of that! I've been entering Thrift Saving Plan quotes manually for as long as I've been using Quicken (only on days I make a deposit), so I'll have to see if I can make it this method work for the TSP.