Career counseling

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Old_Dollar

Career counseling

Post by Old_Dollar » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:54 pm

Does anyone know of good ways to get career counseling? I'm in a weird situation where my chosen career path was a bust and I'm incredibly ambivalent about my current job (not a career). I use to talk to family, but my parents are both traditional professionals who grew up in a time where things were different.
I am here solely to learn about investing.

GCD

Re: Career counseling

Post by GCD » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:12 pm

I guess that depends on what your background is and what you are looking for. Most colleges have a career center for students and alumni. If you registered for a single class at any college you could use their career center. The cheapest form of career counseling would probably be to buy a copy of "What Color is My Parachute". What are you looking for, a complete revamp or a change of direction based on your existing skills?

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:49 pm

Tell us more, and I guarantee you'll get lots of career counseling right here. And it's free.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:31 pm

People guide here well; Give it a try

Topic Author
Old_Dollar

Post by Old_Dollar » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:59 pm

GCD wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:12 pm
I guess that depends on what your background is and what you are looking for. Most colleges have a career center for students and alumni. If you registered for a single class at any college you could use their career center. The cheapest form of career counseling would probably be to buy a copy of "What Color is My Parachute". What are you looking for, a complete revamp or a change of direction based on your existing skills?
I'll grab that book. Right now I'm not sure, I just feel stuck.
I am here solely to learn about investing.

GCD

Post by GCD » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:23 am

You'll get lots of advice here, most of it not too snarky! But you need to give a bit more info on who you are and where you are at in life.

Me, my wife and 2 kids recently took this: https://www.16personalities.com/

Interestingly, my wife and I both rated me exactly the same and I rated my wife one off of what she rated herself. The kids are only teenagers so they have a bit to grow yet. It was useful a a discussion starter to talk to the kids about what they might want to do with their life. It might give you some ideas.