Can hsa funds be use to pay for medical expenses incurred during the years that I have non-hsa insurance?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
opus360

Can hsa funds be use to pay for medical expenses incurred during the years that I have non-hsa insurance?

Post by opus360 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:43 am

Can hsa funds be use to pay for medical expenses incurred during the years that I have non-hsa insurance? For example:

- In 2019, I have HSA insurance. I have opened and funded HSA account already.
- In 2020, let as assume I have a non-HSA insurance. I incurred medical expenses of $2000.

In 2020 or later years, can I use my HSA account (opened and funded in 2019) to reimburse myself for the $2000 incurred in 2020?

miketheboglehead

Re: Can hsa funds be use to pay for medical expenses incurred during the years that I have non-hsa insurance?

Post by miketheboglehead » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:25 am

Yes, the HSA can be used tax free for medical expenses forever, as long as the contributions were made while eligible.

michaeljc70

Re: Can hsa funds be use to pay for medical expenses incurred during the years that I have non-hsa insurance?

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:27 pm

Sure. I've had one for many years and never spent a penny of it. I haven't had an actual HSA plan for years either. I plan on using the HSA $$$ in retirement for healthcare costs. I prefer to let it grow tax free until then. It is invested in a Vanguard fund.