Geico auto - used parts??

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
BostonButterfly

Geico auto - used parts??

Post by BostonButterfly » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:19 pm

My spouse and I have used the "family" insurance broker for our entire 20 year relationship. As we have narrowed our focus on achieving our retirement goals, one of the things on my list to do was stop paying so much for insurance. SO, I started with our car. I changed the car insurance to Geico for a whopping 32% reduction with better coverage! Not surprisingly, our broker is none too happy, even though, for now - we still have our homeowners through him. I've been going back and forth with him via email, and in the end he never offered to try to come close to Geico. What he did instead was tell me that because I cancelled the auto policy with them, now my homeowners will go up by 16% AND my son's (who lives with us) auto will go up by 10% as a result! (By losing credits for something or other.) Magically the numbers worked out so that net net I'm paying $100 more to change policies!

This is not surprising to me, and the rational side of me realizes that all he's doing to playing with numbers to try to scare me into not leaving. But his last email prompted me to reach out to fellow Bogleheads. He said these two things:

1. Geico, along with not be helpful in the event of a claim, will only pay for used parts to fix my car.
2. Geico has their own forms that are not ISO, so the policy coverage is not the same. (I don't know what ISO means)

Are either of these things true? I have read a ton of great reviews about Geico here on Bogleheads, and find these things hard to believe. All of this feels eerily similar to when I broke free from the "family" financial advisor! I felt like I had to pry the grip off of us to break free!

barnaclebob

Re: Geico auto - used parts??

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:26 pm

By used does he mean junkyard, or just non OEM? Most insurance companies wont pay for OEM parts if suitable alternatives are available. What is important is if the body shop offers a lifetime warranty and that you can use reputable body shops who do quality work.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:31 pm

Not surprising your HO policy premium went up as you often get a substantial discount for combining home and auto insurance with the same carrier. That would have happened automatically. Not sure your broker bears any responsibility for that.

As for the "used" parts, does he mean "aftermarket"? If so, that's also not unusual. Many carriers will only pay for aftermarket, as opposed to OEM, parts. Some companies let you purchase an "OEM endorsement" to guarantee you get OEM parts after a wreck.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:33 pm

Sure, used parts from junkyards are very often used in body repairs for any car over 1 year old. Your policy specifically tells you this.

I doubt your agent made up numbers. He likely went to the companies he represents to reprice your policies should a change be made. Splitting off a policy eliminates some discounts and sure....you may end up paying more for your discount. Do some research on what Geico does after you make a claim.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Topic Author
BostonButterfly

Post by BostonButterfly » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:37 pm

The thing is that my auto was Arbella, and my homeowners is UPC. He says that there was a discount on homeowners by using Arbella for auto because Arbella doesn't insure coastal homes.

At this point I'm not going to ask him about the "used parts" statement because what is done is done. The Geico policy is paid.

jbmitt

Post by jbmitt » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:38 pm

A car is used as soon as it’s titled. Most carriers allow used and aftermarket parts after so many model years or miles. The part still has to fit and function correctly.

ISO refers to Insurance Services Office and is an organization along with AAIS that develops standardized insurance policy language for its member subscribers. Many companies use it as a starting point and make their own modifications.

Not a big issue, you might want to ask the agent what specifically they differ on.

Edit
I misread your initial post, you’re leaving the agent. Geico should have pretty common language. It wouldn’t hurt you to obtain the policy and compare it to your prior one. The biggest differences typically have to do with permissive use, coverages stacking, and exclusions.. think ridesharing.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:46 pm

BostonButterfly wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:37 pm
The thing is that my auto was Arbella, and my homeowners is UPC. He says that there was a discount on homeowners by using Arbella for auto because Arbella doesn't insure coastal homes.

At this point I'm not going to ask him about the "used parts" statement because what is done is done. The Geico policy is paid.
Is UPC a surplus line carrier? I also live in a coastal area where many of the big-time insurance companies (Allstate, etc.) won't write HO (or, at least, the wind component of HO) policies. They will, instead, refer you to another carrier, usually a surplus-line carrier, with whom they have some sort of reciprocal relationship. If that's how you ended up with UPC, then it makes sense your old auto insurance company would have given you a multi-line discount for keeping your HO with UPC. Just a guess, but that happens around where I live a lot.

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:47 pm

BostonButterfly wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:19 pm
My spouse and I have used the "family" insurance broker for our entire 20 year relationship. As we have narrowed our focus on achieving our retirement goals, one of the things on my list to do was stop paying so much for insurance. SO, I started with our car. I changed the car insurance to Geico for a whopping 32% reduction with better coverage! Not surprisingly, our broker is none too happy, even though, for now - we still have our homeowners through him. I've been going back and forth with him via email, and in the end he never offered to try to come close to Geico. What he did instead was tell me that because I cancelled the auto policy with them, now my homeowners will go up by 16% AND my son's (who lives with us) auto will go up by 10% as a result! (By losing credits for something or other.) Magically the numbers worked out so that net net I'm paying $100 more to change policies!

This is not surprising to me, and the rational side of me realizes that all he's doing to playing with numbers to try to scare me into not leaving. But his last email prompted me to reach out to fellow Bogleheads. He said these two things:

1. Geico, along with not be helpful in the event of a claim, will only pay for used parts to fix my car.
2. Geico has their own forms that are not ISO, so the policy coverage is not the same. (I don't know what ISO means)

Are either of these things true? I have read a ton of great reviews about Geico here on Bogleheads, and find these things hard to believe. All of this feels eerily similar to when I broke free from the "family" financial advisor! I felt like I had to pry the grip off of us to break free!
Any intermediary business does not operate for free.
The individual is a insurance broker correct?
Your business is a % of his income.
You want to save money? ?
Do it yourself, as you are attempting.
It requires reading policies for accurate, concrete, etched in stone, black & white facts.

(He's attempting to destabilize your new spending movements to save money/ imo)
I'd kick'em to the curb, but thats me. :happy
Good Luck!
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~

core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:53 pm

In case of collision claim, geico allow us to use OEM parts.
Their repair centers are best and have lifetime warranty on what they worked on.
In windshield claim, if you have crack they go to safelite to avoid replaement
But if you need replacement its OEM or OEM equivalent in windshield glass and you can ask at that time
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner

jbmitt

Post by jbmitt » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:55 pm

aspirit wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:47 pm
BostonButterfly wrote:
Any intermediary business does not operate for free.
The individual is a insurance broker correct?
Your business is a % of his income.
You want to save money? ?
Do it yourself, as you are attempting.
It requires reading policies for accurate, concrete, etched in stone, black & white facts.
This isn’t quite true. Some companies have different rates based on whether you purchase direct or via an agent. Progressive is typically more expensive via an agent. Find an agent with access to multiple companies, typically they can shop your coverages and obtain a rate that is comparable or better than what you can find on your own.

A good agent should know the various markets and be able to identify coverage gaps especially if you’re willing to insure with multiple companies. I try to keep my home, auto, and umbrella in one place but I’ve also used mobilize policies as needed.

Topic Author
BostonButterfly

Post by BostonButterfly » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:06 pm

Rupert wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:46 pm

Is UPC a surplus line carrier? I also live in a coastal area where many of the big-time insurance companies (Allstate, etc.) won't write HO (or, at least, the wind component of HO) policies. They will, instead, refer you to another carrier, usually a surplus-line carrier, with whom they have some sort of reciprocal relationship. If that's how you ended up with UPC, then it makes sense your old auto insurance company would have given you a multi-line discount for keeping your HO with UPC. Just a guess, but that happens around where I live a lot.
I don't know what a surplus line carrier is, but UPC is United Property and Casualty Insurance Co. When we bought the house, the insurance broker said this is the company he uses because so few will write coastal properties anymore. This is one reason why I'm considering staying with the broker for HO. But at the same time can't help but feel taken advantage of with all this stuff. Maybe I just have to accept paying a little (lot?) more for having the broker. Ugh.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:11 pm

BostonButterfly wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:06 pm
Rupert wrote:

I don't know what a surplus line carrier is, but UPC is United Property and Casualty Insurance Co. When we bought the house, the insurance broker said this is the company he uses because so few will write coastal properties anymore. This is one reason why I'm considering staying with the broker for HO. But at the same time can't help but feel taken advantage of with all this stuff. Maybe I just have to accept paying a little (lot?) more for having the broker. Ugh.
I feel for you. In coastal areas, the HO decision usually drives all insurance decisions. It's so expensive, and your options are so limited, that many people end up paying too much for auto insurance in order to get the multi-line discount on HO. I pay a big insurer way too much presently for my auto, but I get a huge HO discount that more than makes up for it. You have to evaluate the package, not just the HO and auto individually.

Teague

Post by Teague » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:16 pm

Your car is made up of a collection of used parts. If an accident results in a bent or broken "part X" that needs replacement, why not replace with a like kind and quality undamaged but used "part X ?" Why would one need a brand new "part X" bolted on to an otherwise used car?
Semper Augustus

Topic Author
BostonButterfly

Post by BostonButterfly » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:18 pm

Rupert wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:11 pm

I feel for you. In coastal areas, the HO decision usually drives all insurance decisions. It's so expensive, and your options are so limited, that many people end up paying too much for auto insurance in order to get the multi-line discount on HO. I pay a big insurer way too much presently for my auto, but I get a huge HO discount that more than makes up for it. You have to evaluate the package, not just the HO and auto individually.
Rupert, do you have any other advise on coastal insurance? Perhaps you could PM me? I have to jump offline now, but will back online tonight.

meowcat

Post by meowcat » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:48 pm

core4portfolio wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:53 pm
Their repair centers are best and have lifetime warranty on what they worked on.
But if you need replacement its OEM or OEM equivalent in windshield glass and you can ask at that time
Completely opposite of my experience. I've worked closely with Geico in a dealership body shop. Geico will not pay for OEM parts, not even on a brand new car, unless cheap Chinese knock-off parts are not available. Many shops in my area won't even take a Geico claim because they just won't pay to fix the car properly.
More people should learn to tell their dollars where to go instead of asking them where they went. | -Roger Babson

meowcat

Post by meowcat » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:50 pm

meowcat wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:48 pm
core4portfolio wrote:
Completely opposite of my experience. I've worked closely with Geico in a dealership body shop. Geico will not pay for OEM parts, not even on a brand new car, unless cheap, Chinese knock-off parts are not available. Many shops in my area won't even take a Geico claim because they just won't pay to fix the car properly.
More people should learn to tell their dollars where to go instead of asking them where they went. | -Roger Babson

core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:02 pm

meowcat wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:50 pm
meowcat wrote:
core4portfolio wrote:
Completely opposite of my experience. I've worked closely with Geico in a dealership body shop. Geico will not pay for OEM parts, not even on a brand new car, unless cheap, Chinese knock-off parts are not available. Many shops in my area won't even take a Geico claim because they just won't pay to fix the car properly.
I had very recent experience where my car got hit by Geico insurer. Iam also a geico insurer at that time. It new 2018 crv with few thousand miles and I took it to Geico express shop which is also a honda certified collision repair shop. They ordered every part from Honda and showed me the invoice and gave life time warranty until I own the car. Only hassle I faced is getting the Diminished value claim. So far they are good to me.

One thing I learned from HondaCRVOwners club is that windshield given by third party are better quality than Honda !!!!!!
Also, most of the Orignial auto parts are really third party parts just labelled as Original part.
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:20 pm

core4portfolio wrote:
+1. I’ve had the same experience with them.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

talzara

Post by talzara » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:05 pm

BostonButterfly wrote:
I have read a ton of great reviews about Geico here on Bogleheads, and find these things hard to believe. All of this feels eerily similar to when I broke free from the "family" financial advisor! I felt like I had to pry the grip off of us to break free!
That's what salesmen do. They give you the details that make the other company look bad. They don't give you the big picture.

GEICO has better service than Arbella. The state insurance regulators get a lot more complaints about Arbella than GEICO.

Code: Select all

Complaint Ratio
Private Passenger Auto, 2017

Arbella Mutual        1.33
GEICO Casualty        1.00
GEICO General         0.62
GEICO Indemnity       0.57

https://eapps.naic.org/cis/
Arbella gets twice as many complaints as GEICO's preferred and standard companies. It gets more complaints than even GEICO Casualty, a non-standard company that's expected to get more complaints.

talzara

Post by talzara » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:20 pm

Rupert wrote:
United Property & Casualty is an admitted carrier in Massachusetts, but it's going after the same kind of risks as a surplus lines carrier.

UPC is one of the Florida insurers that took over after the large national insurers left the Florida homeowners market. It has a huge amount of hurricane risk, which it has hedged with reinsurance and CAT bonds. Much of this reinsurance covers all Atlantic hurricanes wherever they strike, not just hurricanes that strike Florida.

They don't mind covering houses that are right on the beach, as long as the houses are not in Florida. The other Florida-only insurers are also trying to expand to other states. It's a race to see who can diversify the most before a hurricane makes a direct strike on Miami.

talzara

Post by talzara » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:29 pm

BostonButterfly wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:06 pm
Have you called GEICO to see if they can place you with a homeowners insurer? Who knows, they might even have access to UPC.

UPC gives a 10% discount for bundling with Arbella, but they also give a 5% discount for bundling with any other auto insurer. GEICO gives a 3% discount for bundling with a homeowners insurer.

meowcat

Post by meowcat » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:27 pm

core4portfolio wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:02 pm

Also, most of the Orignial auto parts are really third party parts just labelled as Original part.
Honda CRVownersclub, huh?
Okay, I don't want to argue over what you may have read on a Honda owners club but that information you were given is completely false.
I work in the automotive parts business at an OEM level. Been doing it for over 30 years. Honda, Hyundai, Toyota, Lexus, Subaru and Nissan. None of their crash parts (sheet metal) are manufactured by 3rd party vendors and then relabeled as OEM.

SurfCityBill

Post by SurfCityBill » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:56 pm

Geico acts as an agent for Travelers Insurance for homeowners. At least in Calif. So I was able to "bundle" auto / home and get all the discounts associated with bundling. Maybe just try that and then cut your homeowner ties with this guy for good.

sco

Post by sco » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:56 pm

GEICO’s service has always been good for me. I heard the same arguments when the local agent raised rates for the last time. It was 3x the cost of Geico because they rated the teenager differently

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:10 pm

meowcat wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:27 pm
core4portfolio wrote:

Okay, I don't want to argue over what you may have read on a Honda owners club but that information you were given is completely false.
I work in the automotive parts business at an OEM level. Been doing it for over 30 years. Honda, Hyundai, Toyota, Lexus, Subaru and Nissan. None of their crash parts (sheet metal) are manufactured by 3rd party vendors and then relabeled as OEM.
Exactly what he said only 40 years and retired now.

1994 I get the entire delivery back from " IGOTTAcopyyourinvoice Auto Body, yep, my driver said they took our invoice in the office made a photocopy, gave it back to him, said return it all tell you boss I don't need it. Firebird 1993, had to have the invoice copy of OEM GM Pontiac parts for Stake Fame Insurance claim. Owner probably though he was getting all new OEM parts too, I will tell you he didn't I was on honest terms with the rest of the GM parts managers in the city. You got the invoice, and junk parts,....surprise!

Here is the pecking order, Good, Better, Best, The Bad and the ugly.

Good: straighten your own part if reusable, better: OEM part off a salvage car that is used but OEM from the factory, Best, Genuine OEM replacement part, if fits right and can be used to help line up other components that are getting straightened. Bad: knock off off shore will fit parts that DO NOT fit, that and reconditioned bumper covers, it was three strikes and you are out, when we were forced to used recon or A/M (aftermarket) parts, Yep the A/M vendor delivers the non formed bumper cover, it is warped, we reject, call for another one and wait a day. OK if you have good rental coverage. I have seen the third warped cover show up and the tech says get me OEM, so we either have one in stock or wait a day or two, repairs get backed up trying to save the insurance company $$ and drive profit to there bottom line.

Ugly, well that is the cut rate shop, or one whose management is paid on Gross profit, that orders new parts then revamps repairs the old ones or leaves hidden damaged parts on the car, returning the new part, bingo 100 profit minus a little time to swipe some lipstick on that pigs lips. The tech gets full time for replacing the part, and management turns their heads for a bigger bonus.

Once I ordered a front impact bar, Neon as I recall, off the estimate, the tech came up and told the counter guy to order one also, and the Body Shop manager had a buddy who sold bumper and chrome parts, he had one sent too, three different vendors, mine was OEM Mopar, the others were not. My stock clerk noticed a weight difference between them, laid em all on the scale, OEM was the heaviest at 32 lbs as my memory recalls, the one good A/M the Body Shop manager ordered was 27 pounds, and the junk offshore A/M was almost 25 pounds, the thickness of the metal, and structural strength had to vary as well. The OEM was sent back as was the poorest of the A/M.

A shop is slow, low on work, maybe your car should be a total, hit hard, but hey lets fix it write the estimate light, then get the supplement we start work and keep the work flowing. A job is scheduled for delivery Friday, (most were, the cycle is VIP so you bring em in on Monday and ship them TH or FR, but hey that part is not in, that wheel liner, no big deal just patch the old one, but hey leave the part charged out in case they catch it and we do have to replace it.

After 40 years, I have more, but this is getting too long, with out talking about radiators, A/C condensers, and even those famous hidden energy absorbers.

Insurance agents, I know one who sold the standard line company and then after three years or so he would be a hero and switch the client to the preferred company who the client could have had from day one for 10 percent less premium, why, because his commission, was also 10 percent less. That was a LONG time ago, not sure it that happens still, but it did then.

Honest men like Jack Bogle are a rare find it seems in today's business world, integrity, honesty, and a desire to do the right thing is what I respect, RIP, Mr Bogle, we owe you more than we know.

meowcat

Post by meowcat » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:35 am

Morgan Dollar 1921 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:10 pm
meowcat wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:27 pm
core4portfolio wrote:

Exactly what he said only 40 years and retired now.

1994 I get the entire delivery back from " IGOTTAcopyyourinvoice Auto Body, yep, my driver said they took our invoice in the office made a photocopy, gave it back to him, said return it all tell you boss I don't need it. Firebird 1993, had to have the invoice copy of OEM GM Pontiac parts for Stake Fame Insurance claim. Owner probably though he was getting all new OEM parts too, I will tell you he didn't I was on honest terms with the rest of the GM parts managers in the city. You got the invoice, and junk parts,....surprise!

Here is the pecking order, Good, Better, Best, The Bad and the ugly.

Good: straighten your own part if reusable, better: OEM part off a salvage car that is used but OEM from the factory, Best, Genuine OEM replacement part, if fits right and can be used to help line up other components that are getting straightened. Bad: knock off off shore will fit parts that DO NOT fit, that and reconditioned bumper covers, it was three strikes and you are out, when we were forced to used recon or A/M (aftermarket) parts, Yep the A/M vendor delivers the non formed bumper cover, it is warped, we reject, call for another one and wait a day. OK if you have good rental coverage. I have seen the third warped cover show up and the tech says get me OEM, so we either have one in stock or wait a day or two, repairs get backed up trying to save the insurance company $$ and drive profit to there bottom line.

Ugly, well that is the cut rate shop, or one whose management is paid on Gross profit, that orders new parts then revamps repairs the old ones or leaves hidden damaged parts on the car, returning the new part, bingo 100 profit minus a little time to swipe some lipstick on that pigs lips. The tech gets full time for replacing the part, and management turns their heads for a bigger bonus.

Once I ordered a front impact bar, Neon as I recall, off the estimate, the tech came up and told the counter guy to order one also, and the Body Shop manager had a buddy who sold bumper and chrome parts, he had one sent too, three different vendors, mine was OEM Mopar, the others were not. My stock clerk noticed a weight difference between them, laid em all on the scale, OEM was the heaviest at 32 lbs as my memory recalls, the one good A/M the Body Shop manager ordered was 27 pounds, and the junk offshore A/M was almost 25 pounds, the thickness of the metal, and structural strength had to vary as well. The OEM was sent back as was the poorest of the A/M.

A shop is slow, low on work, maybe your car should be a total, hit hard, but hey lets fix it write the estimate light, then get the supplement we start work and keep the work flowing. A job is scheduled for delivery Friday, (most were, the cycle is VIP so you bring em in on Monday and ship them TH or FR, but hey that part is not in, that wheel liner, no big deal just patch the old one, but hey leave the part charged out in case they catch it and we do have to replace it.

After 40 years, I have more, but this is getting too long, with out talking about radiators, A/C condensers, and even those famous hidden energy absorbers.

Insurance agents, I know one who sold the standard line company and then after three years or so he would be a hero and switch the client to the preferred company who the client could have had from day one for 10 percent less premium, why, because his commission, was also 10 percent less. That was a LONG time ago, not sure it that happens still, but it did then.

Honest men like Jack Bogle are a rare find it seems in today's business world, integrity, honesty, and a desire to do the right thing is what I respect, RIP, Mr Bogle, we owe you more than we know.
This entire reply is 100% spot on. Been doing it too long, I guess.

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:48 pm

core4portfolio wrote:
meowcat wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:50 pm
meowcat wrote:
core4portfolio wrote:
I had very recent experience where my car got hit by Geico insurer. Iam also a geico insurer at that time. It new 2018 crv with few thousand miles and I took it to Geico express shop which is also a honda certified collision repair shop. They ordered every part from Honda and showed me the invoice and gave life time warranty until I own the car. Only hassle I faced is getting the Diminished value claim. So far they are good to me.

One thing I learned from HondaCRVOwners club is that windshield given by third party are better quality than Honda !!!!!!
I have a similar experience as well. Just filed a claim for on 2018 XC90. Geico replacing bumper cover, fender, door panel with OEM parts.

And even if Geico use aftermarket for older vehicle while other insurer don’t, you are saving on premium year after year with Geico vs. paying 25-50% more year after year after year for a claim that may/may never happen.