Vanguard PAS vs. Schwab Intelligent Advisory service..

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Ykcor

Vanguard PAS vs. Schwab Intelligent Advisory service..

Post by Ykcor » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:03 pm

Trying to decide. Both basically robo-advise with access to a personal financial advisor. Vanguard charges 0.3% with no cap whereas Schwab charges 0.28% with a $900 per quarter cap. To me it seems like a no-brainer.

afan

Re: Vanguard PAS vs. Schwab Intelligent Advisory service..

Post by afan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:18 am

It would be a no brainer if the fees were the only difference.

Schwab manages the portfolios the same way as it's free Intelligent Portfolio. It uses a large number of funds, most of which you don't need.

The expense ratios of the funds are ok overall, but the extraneous funds have fees higher than VTI.

Schwab forces you to keep a large cash allocation on which it pays low interest rates. The difference between this and keeping no cash in the managed account is effectively another cost, not included in the capped fee.

Schwab is up front about the fact that they do this to make a profit on the cash allocation.

You would have to look at the size of your portfolio is worth the cash drag. Depending on how much Schwab forced into cash you could be better off at Vanguard.

You need to look more closely at the two services to see which is the better fit for you.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:27 am

Vanguard will offer a relatively simpler portfolio, maybe 4-6 funds or so. Schwab will offer a relatively complex portfolio with maybe 15 funds and ETFs. Either would be a good option though most here would opt for simplicity.
A fool and his money are good for business.

Topic Author
Ykcor

Post by Ykcor » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:03 pm

Vanguard seems to use index funds and Schwab uses ETFs. Any advantage to either.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:23 pm

ETFs are index funds -- they are just exchange traded.

There have been quite a number of posts on the forum with "I have too many ETFs [or stocks] because I followed a roboadvisor, how do I get out?" To my knowledge there have been no posts on the forum with "I have too few index funds, so how do I make it more complicated."
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.