Rules regarding reimbursing from HSA?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Kennedy

Rules regarding reimbursing from HSA?

Post by Kennedy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:36 am

I have a question regarding reimbursement from our HSA. My spouse had equal payments taken out of his paycheck throughout 2018 for contribution to his HSA. For example, let's say the amount was $265/paycheck, so at the end of 2018, the full annual allowed amount had been contributed.

Am I allowed to now request reimbursement from the HSA for a $3500 medical procedure payment we made for a date of service early on in 2018? This would have been a date when only about $500 or so had been contributed to the HSA at that point. In other words, can I now reimburse myself for any qualified expense that occurred in 2018 even if at the date of service we didn't have enough money in the HSA to pay for it but we did at the end of 2018?

fabdog

Re: Rules regarding reimbursing from HSA?

Post by fabdog » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:42 am

Yes. As long as an allowable medical expense. There are folks who save up receipts and reimburse years later, taking advantage of the tax free growth.

The amount you had in the account when you had the procedure does not matter. Does not even have to be reimbursed in the same year

Mike

Topic Author
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:08 pm

fabdog wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:42 am
Yes. As long as an allowable medical expense. There are folks who save up receipts and reimburse years later, taking advantage of the tax free growth.

The amount you had in the account when you had the procedure does not matter. Does not even have to be reimbursed in the same year

Mike
Thank you, but my question is actually the opposite. Can I reimburse myself from the HSA for a date of service that was PRIOR to when the actual money was in the HSA account?

Roxen72

Post by Roxen72 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:11 pm

Yes. You can reimburse yourself at any time, no matter when the contributions were made, as long as the HSA account was opened before the procedure happened.