Recent Engineering College Graduate can’t get job interviews, needs advice

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Will do good

Recent Engineering College Graduate can’t get job interviews, needs advice

Post by Will do good »

My Son recently graduated with a degree in Industrial Engineering from a highly regarded State University. Due to depression issues, his overall GPA is 2.73. He got the help he needed and was able to pull up his grades the last 2 semesters which averaged 3.375.

Unfortunately he has not been able to get any interviews and perhaps this may be due to his resume being scanned and rejected. He was not able to get any internships while at school but was able to get a research assistant position at his university this last summer.

Questions: 
1. Is it true hiring companies these days use programs to scan GPA and anything low is automatically rejected without a human ever looking at it? I wonder if it’s ok to just put in the last 2 semesters GPA with an asterisk and an explanation at the bottom of the resume so this way his resume has a chance to be seen by a real human and have a chance for an in-person interview.

2. Due to the low GPA, we have suggested he aim for smaller companies instead of Fortune 500 companies. What about using community college job boards instead of his university for lesser competition? 

With the current financial market correction and trade war, DW and I are afraid companies are mostly looking for layoffs and not hiring.

Any other advice from the BH community?

Thanks!
fabdog

Re: Recent Engineering College Graduate can’t get job interviews, needs advice

Post by fabdog »

It can be really tough landing that first job, especially with the resume intake systems companies are using. Hopefully these are some good suggestions

Resume- with the keyword scanning, make sure his resume hits all the buzzwords for industrial engineering, or the subset of the field he's interested in.
There are a lot of templates online, some even show just a section with key skills and programs/systems for the computer. Also, try leaving off the GPA

College help- Stay in touch with the University placement office. Do they have an alumni association that also does job postings/listings? That can sometimes be helpful as alums may want to help other grads. The local CC is fine as well for more leads

Networking- Does the professor he did research for have any industry contacts or leads? Does he have any friends who were a year or two ahead of him in school that may know of opportunities with their employers? Were there any other professors who thought well of him and his work? Reach out for opportunities. Do you have family or friends who work for companies that may have opportunities

If he's just submitting resumes to job board listings it's going to be a tough slog. Most jobs are found thru referrals

Hope this helps

Mike
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

"With the current financial market correction and trade war, DW and I are afraid companies are mostly looking for layoffs and not hiring."

These things affect the broad spectrum of the population perhaps, but companies are hiring. I think ADP job creation was 275k+ last month being reported.

Do you know anyone or know anyone that knows someone that works for a company in your area that hires industrial engineers? I still think shaking a hand, talking face to face, handing a resume and saying "give me an opportunity" goes a long way.

You want a job that can lead to other jobs and maybe don't start out making $70k those first few years.

I would be honest about the GPA when asked, but not promote it. Print out 20 resumes and cover letters and hand deliver them to 20 companies in the area. If that sector is down right now, maybe starting with something related will get a foot in the door.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
FlyAF

Post by FlyAF »

My company, let's call it Mega-Aero, would not look at his resume, it would unfortunately be scrapped before a human laid eyes on it. Your idea to focus on smaller companies is a good one. Many will hire applicants like your son who can't get anywhere with the big games in town. The pay will be low, the benefits will suck, and he will be over-worked. This is because they know he will be gone after a couple years when he can get on with one of the big dogs.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

Will do good wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:30 pm My Son recently graduated with a degree in Industrial Engineering from a highly regarded State University. Due to depression issues, his overall GPA is 2.73. He got the help he needed and was able to pull up his grades the last 2 semesters which averaged 3.375.

Unfortunately he has not been able to get any interviews and perhaps this may be due to his resume being scanned and rejected. He was not able to get any internships while at school but was able to get a research assistant position at his university this last summer.

Questions: 
1. Is it true hiring companies these days use programs to scan GPA and anything low is automatically rejected without a human ever looking at it? I wonder if it’s ok to just put in the last 2 semesters GPA with an asterisk and an explanation at the bottom of the resume so this way his resume has a chance to be seen by a real human and have a chance for an in-person interview.

2. Due to the low GPA, we have suggested he aim for smaller companies instead of Fortune 500 companies. What about using community college job boards instead of his university for lesser competition? 

With the current financial market correction and trade war, DW and I are afraid companies are mostly looking for layoffs and not hiring.

Thanks!
Internships or other “hands on” experiences is what I’ve found to help. I’d suggest your son look for a 3-4 month internship with the hope to transition to full time. Company will be more inclined without the longterm commitment.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

Mike already gave a solid answer. I’ll just second the comment about leaving off GPA, and add good ol’ fashioned pavement pounding. If he’s living in an area with companies that would hire industrial engineers, make sure he’s attending their local recruiting events (which might be at other colleges than his own), and attending functions where he could network with people that work there. For example, is there a public Toastmasters club hosted onsite at MegaCorp that he could start going to?

Guess I will also add to check out staffing agencies that cater to technical professions. Back when I was still in my technical career, I did a lot of short-term projects through such staffing conpanies. Did everything from industrial health and safety assessments to slinging radioactive waste to atmospheric testing. It was fun, paid well at the time, and eased the transition from military and college life into regular adulthood.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Both my sons had a hard time getting their first job.
The older son was an MIS major, the other a chemical/biological engineering major, and a national merit scholar.
Both had changed majors, and had not had internships, and applied for on the after graduation.

Everyone wanted experience, and wanted you to already be employed

The older one worked geek squad, and the younger one took a contract to hire job.

They kept applying, and about 6 months into that first job, they
started getting phone interviews, which eventually led to a second job that they like. They would like to make more, but at least they are in a good work environment, and have opportunity to advance.

My advice to him: Find a job at least tangentially associated with their field, and use that job as springboard. Don't worry about the pay at the first job, hopefully, you will not be there long.
Last edited by MathWizard on Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore »

Find a recruiter in his field and get the recruiter's advice. Plus, the recruiter may have inside connections to jobs never posted on the web.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

MotoTrojan wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:54 pm
Will do good wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:30 pm My Son recently graduated with a degree in Industrial Engineering from a highly regarded State University. Due to depression issues, his overall GPA is 2.73. He got the help he needed and was able to pull up his grades the last 2 semesters which averaged 3.375.

Questions: 

Thanks!
Internships or other “hands on” experiences is what I’ve found to help. I’d suggest your son look for a 3-4 month internship with the hope to transition to full time. Company will be more inclined without the longterm commitment.
This. Not in engineering, but I am STEM (science director for large health products company). Most of my staff are recent grads (age range 21-26), the single biggest red flag (by a mile) is someone without any experience. I don't care what your academic credentials are, I've had horrific experience (working with and interviewing) individuals who have no experience in a corporate environment. A fairly significant percentage of my staff came on as interns and were hired full-time shortly after.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Will do good wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:30 pm 1. Is it true hiring companies these days use programs to scan GPA and anything low is automatically rejected without a human ever looking at it?
Yes. And the same was true even if a human looked at it. I had a lengthy conversation with someone who lied about his low GPA on his resume to get his first job and went on to become one of the people interviewing new hires.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
dlrkw9mu

Post by dlrkw9mu »

As others have mentioned, try leaving the GPA off the resume.

It's a lot of work, but also try tailoring the resume to each company/position.
I graduated with a BS in Mechanical Engineering (2010), with an aerospace emphasis. During university career fairs, many companies would tell me they don't have any aerospace positions, and toss my resume aside. After a while, I pulled the "aerospace emphasis" statement off my resume when submitting to non-aerospace companies, and it helped.

Keep at it. I was a few months of out of school before I landed a job, and I graduated cum laude. His persistance will pay off eventually.

Finally - (and it's a bit off topic) make sure he practices behavioral interview questions. They're difficult if you haven't prepared, and I didn't know to expect those sorts of questions when I was looking for my first job.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Questions: 

Thanks!
Your son's highly regarded state university engineering school has a highly regarded placement department, where you son (not you) can get a tremendous amount of assistance in finding a job, including resume' preparation, interview practice, job postings, and much more.

I advise you to help your son get in contact with them, and then step back out of the picture. Hard to do I know, take it from someone who has been there in your shoes.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
corn18

Post by corn18 »

RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:49 pm

Questions: 

Thanks!
Your son's highly regarded state university engineering school has a highly regarded placement department, where you son (not you) can get a tremendous amount of assistance in finding a job, including resume' preparation, interview practice, job postings, and much more.

I advise you to help your son get in contact with them, and then step back out of the picture. Hard to do I know, take it from someone who has been there in your shoes.
+1

Also, did he not do any networking while in college? We hired an IE last year who just graduated. He didn't intern with us, but somehow found out we were looking and stopped by for a visit with our director of engineering before he graduated. We hired him and he has been awesome. HIs resume would never had made it through an initial screen, though. That visit made all the difference.
Don't do something, just stand there!
GoldStar

Post by GoldStar »

I don't think anyone should put a GPA on their resume unless they are high. Take it off.
The fact he obtained an engineering degree at a highly regarded State University should secure him some interviews.

Did he put his info out on linked-in (and other job sites)? That's were most of the recruiters I know are looking these days.

Also - agree with prior poster - if he isn't working with the school on getting help - he should be.
grog

Post by grog »

Is it true hiring companies these days use programs to scan GPA and anything low is automatically rejected without a human ever looking at it?
Yes. 3.0 is a pretty common cutoff.

One thing that helps tremendously is to get a contact of some kind in a company (even an indirect one like friend of your uncle). That often sidesteps the software and probably gets at least a courtesy interview. Barring that, he can try to get some kind of temporary or semi-related gig in the meantime.

My experience: I had a strong entry-level resume but no internship/experience. The job market was very tough. I ended up taking a temporary job (outside my field but good experience) and eventually got something in my field through a recruiter. Having some experience helps a lot and makes it a lot easier to interview since you have work history to draw on in.

GPA is a tough one since it can't really be changed at this point. But one tip for improving the rest of the resume is to carefully review the job postings and look for all the key terms that come up over and over (specific computer software for example). Then try to work that stuff into your resume. No need to lie, but if you notice for example that lots of the jobs you're looking at want SQL or whatever, it's well worth it to spend some time learning enough of it to justify including it on the resume.
TodayOnly

Post by TodayOnly »

I'm 25, graduated at 21 with a general Business Admin/marketing degree. I've been through several jobs since that time.

I'm in the SF bayarea and I had to start off with an unpaid internship out of college, which lasted about 3 months before getting converted into a $1,250/month contract position. I was also working part time at a print shop for $14/hour. These were all somewhat related to my marketing/business degree. After going through a lot of problems with mental illness, I was laid off for about 6 months before starting a customer service/call center job that lasted just over a year. Not exactly what I had planned. :annoyed

In my most recent stint of unemployment, I was out of work for 7 months (April 18' to Nov 18'). During this time, I found that using the two column resume templates I found online to be quite helpful (I used https://novoresume.com/ which offers a free resume to be stored and edited). I wasn't sending many resumes out, but I kept getting interviews. It was very helpful for me to put personal projects I worked on during this unemployment phase. For me this meant putting my ETSY shop on my resume, excel projects, and I was even programming my own video game. These gave me things to talk about during the interview and made me less needy during the interview. This helped TONS. Long story short, I got a job as a Marketing Associate 2 months ago.

Also, on the resume, it was helpful for me to put what I accomplished rather than the standard "Engaged with ____ users via email support". Instead, put "Succeeded in deescalating ____ users from ____ situation"

This may not relate directly to your son's engineering job, but take what you like an leave the rest. :sharebeer
grog

Post by grog »

dlrkw9mu wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:45 pm Finally - (and it's a bit off topic) make sure he practices behavioral interview questions. They're difficult if you haven't prepared, and I didn't know to expect those sorts of questions when I was looking for my first job.
Yes! These are very common especially in the early stages with HR people. Probably not as much once you get talking to the other engineers. These questions can be tough for younger people who don't have a lot of work experience to refer to.

It's an important thing to prep for because if opportunities are scarce the last thing you want is to finally get a shot and then completely blow it because you don't know how to interview. I remember I bungled my first couple phone interviews.
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

livesoft wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:05 pm
Will do good wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:30 pm 1. Is it true hiring companies these days use programs to scan GPA and anything low is automatically rejected without a human ever looking at it?
Yes. And the same was true even if a human looked at it. I had a lengthy conversation with someone who lied about his low GPA on his resume to get his first job and went on to become one of the people interviewing new hires.
Good way to get immediately dismissed.
Liberty1100

Post by Liberty1100 »

I had a tough time finding a job right out of college as well. It is a lot harder than what everyone says, especially the Professors. There's always the "oh, you're an engineer! You'll be fine." It is hard to not listen to them for 4 years.

I suggest:
[*] Polishing up his Linkedin.
[*] Change his "title" on Linkedin to "Aspiring Industrial Engineer" or something similar.
[*] Have him connect on Linkedin with his friends and his friends' parents even if they are not engineers. It might produce some interviews or profile/resume views. I got my first and second job this way.
[*] Take note of the local companies that would be very convenient commute from home and browse their websites or walk in with some resumes in hand. You can also use Google Maps and look for Office or Industrial Parks.
[*] Reach out to Recruiters that place in the area.
[*] Further education/credentials. I am not sure if in Industrial is relevant, but I studied for the FE exam while unemployed and passed it. I think it helped argue that even though my GPA is low, I still know my stuff.
LegoMyEggo

Post by LegoMyEggo »

I had the same difficulties as your son.
- Graduated when my home town on the East coast was in a mild recession.
- Wanted to move but my counselor in college recommended getting an engineering job for two years, then move.
- Tried to get an engineering position, failed, accepted a technician job.
- Tried but wasn't promoted to engineer, then laid off for not belonging.
- Tried again to get a job but now had the laid-off stigma. Had a wall of shame of rejection letters. Only had a few interviews there. Ended up working two dead-end jobs. Saved up, moved.
- Sent out resumes, very few interviews, new wall of shame grew.
- Was running out of money so contacted a temp agency. Had a job the next day as a machine operator.
- Promoted to technician after 3 months. Switched to nights so I could interview in the daytime.
- Engineering job 1 month later.

~~~ 4 months to realize my dream in a strong job market. ~~~

We don't have much info about your son but I clearly had a people-person skill deficiency after hanging out by myself with a book for a few years. Took a long time to get back to "normal".

A lot of good advice here. MathWizard nailed it. He needs a job to get another job. An employer will likely invest in him if he shows potential / shows up on time consistently. My wife helps connect businesses with under-privileged youth and the local desert job market seems really strong. I think your kid is going to be fine and someday this challenge will seem like a bad dream.
GoldStar

Post by GoldStar »

fru-gal wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:32 pm
livesoft wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:05 pm
Good way to get immediately dismissed.
Agreed - we had to dismiss one good candidate for an unfortunate lie. Don't lie.
Every company I have worked for in recent history makes employment subject to a background checks. They will verify all the facts that are given on resume/application and any lies that are found lead to dismissal.
EggCarton

Post by EggCarton »

I suggest he look at the USA jobs site. There are currently 639 jobs posted for industrial engineers (granted he won't be qualified for all of them). Specifically, he may want to consider the Patent & Trademark Office. Really the only job requirement is that you have an engineering degree. Once he gets rolling, working there will provide a great work/life balance.
smalliebigs

Post by smalliebigs »

I faced the same issues after my PhD graduation. It was about 4 months when I submitted jobs daily before I got my current job. My tips are to have a good review of his resume, and network more. Sadly, the industry now is that having a referral will be of a big help in getting to the point of interviews.

Another small tip, if not doing that now, submit the resume in .docx, not .pdf
adimoron

Post by adimoron »

Hi,

Hope this helps.

1. Do not state his GPA on the resume
2. Ask him to do courses on Corsera, Udemy, Code Academy etc.
3. Irrespective of what field he wants to get into a bit of programming knowledge will always help (start with sql, python etc)

I used to screen resumes for my team at a leading consulting firm and I would recommend the following order:

1. Small summary 2 lines. e.g. Fresh Engineering grad with a bachelors degree and focus in xyz and interests in xyz.
2. Education - Just the name of the degree (no GPA)
3. Technical Skills - Excel, Access, MS Office, Something specific to his field e.g. some tool that he knows to use etc
4. Summary of Skills (Not specific but just generic e.g. Any skill he gained in a project etc)
5. Experience (This can be projects)
6. Accomplishments

Best of luck.
jminv

Post by jminv »

Questions: 

Thanks!
Yes, look at smaller companies that don't ask for GPA. The first job I got out of engineering school didn't care what my GPA was, they cared about the degree and if I would fit in. I had a very good GPA but it wasn't an important factor for them.

Your son could benefit from a CV review service. I've used VMock in the past (vmock.com). It's what many business schools recommend and it's an automated service that gives you pointers to make it more action oriented, avoid repetition, etc while judging it against other CVs. It's very inexpensive (less than $20, I think).

What your son really needs is to use his school's network to find a job. Your son should ask faculty for leads first followed by the career center. Faculty leads can be golden. It's surprising how good alumni networks can be at good schools. It also keeps you from being another piece of paper in a stack.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

Questions: 

Thanks!
Does his school have a career center? I'm also an engineering grad, but that's how almost all of us got our first jobs back in the stone age. I'm sure it's very different now, but then it was first sign up first interviewed instead of any pre-screen. Your first contact was with a real human and that was the opportunity to talk about everything but your GPA and even then, you could discuss how you ultimately overcame things and showed improvement...

Once employed with the first job, it's been more about networking and bypassing any HR/Recruitment systems which are much more likely to auto-reject resume's.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

Concur with above advice concerning Linked-In. Many tech jobs are filled via that route today.

Also agree that he should be open to taking jobs that others might feel are "below" his education level, but are related to his field. Something like machine operator, order picker, even fork lift driver.

This type of job gets him on the "inside", shows he is willing to get his hands dirty, and can establish a history of reliability and ability to work with others. And having some real world experience directly related to his educational skill set can be valuable going forward.

I worked in manufacturing for years, and it was extremely common for engineers to have some "on the line" experience from a summer or first job.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams
3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete »

Try Constructiton companies. As an industrial engineer your son would probably be looked at by mechanical contractors and maybe civil contractors as well and they don’t typically attract A students. Last I heard construction companies were having trouble filling all levels.
srt7

Post by srt7 »

OP,

Lots of great actionable advice in the answers here!

G.P.A. is all but one metric but somehow is made a bigger deal than necessary. It slowly gets to one and becomes a psychological factor. I'm talking both high and low GPA's here. Please ask your son to make it a secondary metric and focus on his strengths instead. It is no small feat to graduate with an engineering diploma (from a solid school no less) so let him always think of the mental endurance, stamina, perseverance etc. that he possesses to see a task over the finish line over a number. Like others have mentioned, just leave it out of the job application when you can. I wouldn't do the last two semesters etc. though.

Fortune 500 companies are all but one way to get in to the work force. There are smaller companies as well as contracting gigs. All he needs is one paying position to get his career started.

I think the upcoming recession etc. should be a bigger worry for middle / senior level folks over a newly minted grad just because of the responsibilities.

Good luck!
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (career advice).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I'll rattle off a few things:

What does his research into jobs tell him about abundance of jobs, various job titles, combination major jobs (could be qualified as civil, mechanical, industrial, for example), are completely out of engineering, like software support (my son's friend does this). Believe it or not, even C students get jobs. Again, my son's friend who spent all his time in college in the gym weight lifting with a 2.0 average just got a job.

Do the jobs exist that he thought would? Is anyone looking for "industrial engineers"? Instead would quality engineer, supply chain management, component engineering, buyer get him started?

There are sales jobs with tech companies that require an engineering degree to even apply. Distributors, reps, the companies themselves either for sales or field applications.

As mentioned, his college absolutely should have a department who can help a lot.

Network. Watching my son's search, he has potentials and back up plans with friend's who are working, with parents of friends, etc. Absolutely co-ops and internships help. A co-op that I took when I ran out of money guided me in a different specialty. My son did an internship and learned that the specific work he did is exactly what he wants to do.

I don't know his major, but is a Masters now the cost of entry? My son found in his extensive research that there are tons of jobs exactly what he wants. They all require a Bachelors and 2-5 years related experience. Out of many hundreds of jobs, not a single one was entry. Lots of PhD, but nothing entry. However, Masters with zero experience, there are hundreds of jobs. So where he intended to graduate with a Bachelors, go to work and go nights for the Masters, life and reality have changed his direction.

What is your son doing while looking? If he's not working, he should be taking courses. This also fills in his resume when asked "What have you been doing since you graduated?". Saying that you started a Masters is a good answer. Saying "nothing" isn't. Most colleges offer Masters level courses without having been accepted. Some have a limit. That's fine. Take a course or 2 a semester until a job is offered.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

Why would you include GPA on your resume at all unless it were exceptional? I've never been asked for my college GPA and I've certainly never asked for it.
Last edited by KyleAAA on Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe »

Most of my staff are recent grads (age range 21-26), the single biggest red flag (by a mile) is someone without any experience. I don't care what your academic credentials are, I've had horrific experience (working with and interviewing) individuals who have no experience in a corporate environment. A fairly significant percentage of my staff came on as interns and were hired full-time shortly after.
I'm a university professor who has had fifteen years of experience helping my undergrad and grad students find their first jobs.

There is some excellent advice here, upthread. A few thoughts----
1. Yes, LinkedIn is essential.
2. Unless it's for an academic position, no one looks at GPA. Leave it off the resume.
3. Put on the resume any job he's had---experience of all kinds. Working counts.
4. The tragedy of today's job market is that it's easy to get a job if you have a job; so, get the young man out working somewhere. Lean on friends in the business, any business, to get him some job even if it is part-time or interning or in the mailroom, he needs to be busy doing something with no big holes of unemployed time developing on his resume. Of course, if the job has anything at all to do with engineering, highlight that. Construction companies?---great advice and he'll be learning something that will stand him in great stead in the future, if he has not had that kind of practical experience. At the very least, he ought to be volunteering his time a night or two a week at something that matters----is there any place that can use an engineer's skills? (Habitat for Humanity comes to mind). Often these volunteer positions result in a new contact or even long-term, interesting employment.

When I was in NYC and hiring, I did a first sort by removing any resumes from outside of the city----only if I could not find someone local, would I look into the other pile, and I never needed to. So, from the job seeker's perspective---if he is applying for a job in another city, don't include the remote snail address, as companies do not want to pay relocation fees or even get into that conversation. Nobody wants to pay to fly someone in to interview for a starter job. So if he is called in for an interview, don't even ask for travel funds; just pay and show up. If he has a friend in that target city and a snail mail address is needed, then ask (or pay) the friend for temporary camping-out and mailing-address privileges. If asked, in the course of an interview situation (and mostly interviewers will not get into this kind of personal question and should not), he can just say he's living with a friend locally; more info than that is TMI.

Keep at it----job searches can take six months.

Good luck to you!
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso
OSUmountaineer

Post by OSUmountaineer »

I can pass on my story, which may help.

I finished grad school and was working for the feds, who paid for my school. A couple of years later, I switched gears to consulting, of which I had no experience. I was dumb in that I quit before finding a job. I applied for jobs all over, soliciting every business owner I could find online via email, in the neighborhood of 300 emails. After 6 months, my resume got a response from a single shingle in Portland, OR (2012) making $20/hr as a 'geologist,' effectively helping one guy pull leaking oil tanks from the ground. The rest (most) of the time I was helping with drywall and insulation and whatever other nonsense he had going on. I stayed there for 8 months, daily checking and applying for new jobs, or finding new companies to solicit.

My point is, I knew that job would suck early on. It was for far less money than I knew (hoped?) I was worth, but it was the first step towards a broader goal. That experience gave me enough resume fodder to get a big-company consulting gig, which was also awful but the training and additional (2x) pay bump was fantastic. And from there I went.

Tell your son to scour the internet and be forthcoming and honest with anyone he meets. People generally want to understand and help. It is a lot easier to put faith in someone and give them a shot if their story is honest and to the point.

Honestly, I now laugh anytime someone hands me a resume with a GPA. Give me some substance and a story and I'm all ears. Make sure he gets down his story, owns it, and can describe how he has come away a better man (and employee) who is more prepared than he ever could be otherwise.
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

There's no reason to include GPA on a resume. Doesn't really matter. You can go ahead and "round up" to a 3.0. It's all just perspective based on number of significant figures anyway.

LinkedIn should be kept updated, and he should possibly seek out the services of a headhunter.

Does your son have any contacts from past jobs worked? Most first jobs aren't necessarily "posted" jobs formally.

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 90-100% VTSAX piled high and deep, 0-10% VIGAX tilt, 0% given away to banks, minimize amount given to medical-industrial complex
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

there is no requirement to put GPA on a resume, so I would leave it off if it doesn't help his case. If they ask, I wouldn't lie about it, but you don't have to volunteer that information either. ID say most important is to get anything in his field, even if just summer internship. For whatever reason, companies hate to train people, they all want to hire with experience, but if you don't have any experience how are you expected to get it????
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

go for Graduate school and start GPA fresh.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

smalliebigs wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:44 pm I faced the same issues after my PhD graduation. It was about 4 months when I submitted jobs daily before I got my current job. My tips are to have a good review of his resume, and network more. Sadly, the industry now is that having a referral will be of a big help in getting to the point of interviews.

Another small tip, if not doing that now, submit the resume in .docx, not .pdf
I've been sent .docx files I cannot open as it requires me to buy a newer version of Word and/or If ones' Word version doesn't match the version of the file being sent it can malign much of the formatting.

PDF - "Portable Document Format"....is portable for a reason and can prob be read on most any device.
Thats just my experience.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

KyleAAA wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:37 pm Why would you include GPA on your resume at all unless it were exceptional? I've never been asked for my college GPA and I've certainly never asked for it.
You are an experienced hire; a new college graduate should absolutely include GPA if it's 3.0 or higher. If not, for engineers it's considered acceptable to list one's major GPA since the engineering gen ed requirements are so arduous. Just because someone didn't do a stellar job in physics or calc or differential equations doesn't mean they aren't good candidates but we live in a ranking world. Most recruiters use entry level applicants' GPA as a quick screen item.

I'm director of our engineering career services at a research university and I'm seeing more and more situations like the OP's out there. I'm going to hazard a guess that mom and dad are a lot more concerned about son's lack of job leads than he is. Frankly right now an engineering student has to try pretty hard to graduate with *no* job or job leads. The market for engineers is red hot and the fact that he's got no internships or work experience at all indicates he hasn't done anything yet to seek employment. Frankly, the advice by a previous respondent is golden-dad and mom need to step back from serving as son's employment agents. You can't get him a job and unless and until he decides to go out and find one, it's not going to happen. This by the way is fairly typical GenZ dynamics.

As to what *he* should be doing, IE is the universal blood type of engineering. Industrial engineers can and do get hired by not only tech companies but finance units, banks, consulting firms, stores, construction companies, you name it and an IE can find a fit. As noted he must connect with his alma mater, since I can guarantee there's a bulging job board online run by the school and there are jobs open and more coming in daily. He should be talking to his fellow graduating class friends-start with whoever he did his senior design project with. Many companies offer internal bonuses or rewards for staff who bring in new recruits so kids who are working are motivated to help their friends get a chance.

Or, encourage him to try consulting/contract work. It's no longer temp staffing, in today's world of contractors there are tons of firms bringing in people for short term projects or supplemental consulting needs. Often that can lead to permanent employment and if not, it makes great resume fodder.

Last but not least, while he is looking get your son busy! Engineers in general do very badly when they are not engaged and challenged-a bored engineer is an unhappy engineer. Especially with a history of depression your son needs something positive to occupy his time while he searches. Find a pre-college STEM or engineering program and gently push him to spend a few hours mentoring kids every week. That's also a great resume item BTW :wink: .
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

AnotherMarshmallow is an IE, and loves it, working in fields as diverse as aerospace and banking. AnotherMarshmallow got the first job, however, at BigAerospace, by having had good experience in an internship at a place that did something relatively unglamorous in manufacturing. So the job need not be in the precise field that one wants to wind up in.

The GPA is a liability, and coupled with the lack of work experience gives an employer no reason to contact him. Fortunately, there's no reason it has to be on the resume. You have many excellent suggestions here, and the only other thing I'd add is that if depression is still a factor, get it treated.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

I would suggest they listen to the Ken Coleman show and check out his resume guide. He has almost zero chance to get a job if he is only relying on a resume and applying online. A smaller company maybe a slightly better chance. But the number one way to get in the door is to network and know someone, anyone at the company you are applying.

https://www.kencoleman.com
bampf

Post by bampf »

Where does he live?
What does he want to do?
What talent does he bring? (Hard working, skilled in building software, loves industrial design blah blah).

GPA matters if you want in through the university new hire programs at mega corp. If he just graduated, a lot of tier one mega corp can't hire him since there is a two year lock out before they fall outside the auspices of "new grad" people that have very precise requirements.

The I just need a job crowd, any job, will be troubling. If he can download and build the linux kernel, (trivial to do) he can probably find a job. Or She? Anyway, not impossible, and a lot of places are looking for a young, agressive hardworking engineer. Go to meetups. Get connected with the community/maker spaces. The jobs are there. Trust me. Engineering talent is hard to find. Real engineering talent.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

pennywise wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:31 pm
KyleAAA wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:37 pm Why would you include GPA on your resume at all unless it were exceptional? I've never been asked for my college GPA and I've certainly never asked for it.
You are an experienced hire; a new college graduate should absolutely include GPA if it's 3.0 or higher. If not, for engineers it's considered acceptable to list one's major GPA since the engineering gen ed requirements are so arduous. Just because someone didn't do a stellar job in physics or calc or differential equations doesn't mean they aren't good candidates but we live in a ranking world. Most recruiters use entry level applicants' GPA as a quick screen item.
It's not 3.0 or higher so I'd leave it off even as a fresh out.

My recommendation is to try to find an internship even though he's graduated. Some of these exist even if rare.

If he can't find that then he should consider going back to his school and pick up a second degree and look for internships that are open only to enrolled students. Also if his school lets him back in, he may be able to fix the GPA by retaking the courses with poor grades...
MarkRoulo

Post by MarkRoulo »

Will do good wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:30 pm "My Son recently graduated with a degree in Industrial Engineering from a highly regarded State University. Due to depression issues, his overall GPA is 2.73. He got the help he needed and was able to pull up his grades the last 2 semesters which averaged 3.375."
Focusing on what is most easily improved, I'd take a look at his resume. It is
probably horrible. Most recent engineering grad resumes are.

Take a look at this (I wrote it):
http://mistybeach.com/essays/NewGraduateResumes.html

Having said that:
Will do good wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:30 pm "Is it true hiring companies these days use programs to scan GPA and anything low is automatically rejected without a human ever looking at it? "
Some do, some don't. *MY* (software) department has instructed our HR department to forward us *ALL* the resumes submitted for any of our reqs.
Will do good wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:30 pm "I wonder if it’s ok to just put in the last 2 semesters GPA with an asterisk and an explanation at the bottom of the resume so this way his resume has a chance to be seen by a real human and have a chance for an in-person interview."
I'd just leave it off and be prepared to discuss if/when asked.

Will do good wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:30 pm "Due to the low GPA, we have suggested he aim for smaller companies instead of Fortune 500 companies. What about using community college job boards instead of his university for lesser competition? "
It isn't an either/or. How about both??? Getting the first job has a 'volume' component to it.
willygreen

Post by willygreen »

adimoron wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:54 pm Hi,

Hope this helps.

1. Do not state his GPA on the resume
2. Ask him to do courses on Corsera, Udemy, Code Academy etc.
3. Irrespective of what field he wants to get into a bit of programming knowledge will always help (start with sql, python etc)

Best of luck.
I totally agree with the recommendation to get more programming knowledge. My brother had a degree in Chemical Engineering from a very prestigious school in 2009, GPA was similar and couldn't get a job. He took two programming classes at a community college (SQL and C) and immediately started getting interviews and landed a job.
MarkRoulo

Post by MarkRoulo »

MarkRoulo wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:25 pm
Will do good wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:30 pm "My Son recently graduated with a degree in Industrial Engineering from a highly regarded State University. Due to depression issues, his overall GPA is 2.73. He got the help he needed and was able to pull up his grades the last 2 semesters which averaged 3.375."
Focusing on what is most easily improved, I'd take a look at his resume. It is
probably horrible. Most recent engineering grad resumes are.

Take a look at this (I wrote it):
http://mistybeach.com/essays/NewGraduateResumes.html

Having said that:
Will do good wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:30 pm "Is it true hiring companies these days use programs to scan GPA and anything low is automatically rejected without a human ever looking at it? "
Some do, some don't. *MY* (software) department has instructed our HR department to forward us *ALL* the resumes submitted for any of our reqs.
Will do good wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:30 pm "I wonder if it’s ok to just put in the last 2 semesters GPA with an asterisk and an explanation at the bottom of the resume so this way his resume has a chance to be seen by a real human and have a chance for an in-person interview."
I'd just leave it off and be prepared to discuss if/when asked.

Will do good wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:30 pm "Due to the low GPA, we have suggested he aim for smaller companies instead of Fortune 500 companies. What about using community college job boards instead of his university for lesser competition? "
It isn't an either/or. How about both??? Getting the first job has a 'volume' component to it.
Oh ... and make sure EVERYONE you know realizes that he is looking for a job.

My first job came when (a) family friends we had not seen for years dropped by to say "hi!" after a day at the beach, (b) we mentioned that I was looking for a programming job, and (c) the family friends went to a block party that night where they met a neighbor who was looking to hire a programmer.
Atlas_Shrugged

Post by Atlas_Shrugged »

If GPA is less than 3.0, I suggest you don't include it on resume. Your son should look in to incubators start ups. You don't get paid much, but it would be probably the best experience and once you have some experience, it would be easy to bounce to a larger company.
Last edited by Atlas_Shrugged on Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkRoulo

Post by MarkRoulo »

TheDDC wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:43 pm There's no reason to include GPA on a resume. Doesn't really matter. You can go ahead and "round up" to a 3.0. It's all just perspective based on number of significant figures anyway.
If I'm looking to hire someone and the school says that they have a 2.73 and they say that they have a 3.0, they are DONE.

I don't want to find out later what other things they consider just a matter of perspective.
CMD1

Post by CMD1 »

Does he have any working experience. I've found many new grads had 100% focus on school and have never worked. Even if it's unrelated to his degree it could be helpful.

If your not in a major metro, is he willing to move?
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

Can he list GPA for his major above 3.0?
If not I would not list his GPA on his resume. My daughter has decent GPA and she didn’t list it either. Head hunter told her to list but she won’t. The other kid who’s not anengi erring major said people toldher not to list her GPA either, even though she did graduate with honors. The reason is what’s high for someone might not be high enough for others.