ug - seeking medical billing advice for ambulance ride

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
rasputin

Re: ug - seeking medical billing advice for ambulance ride

Post by rasputin » Sun May 12, 2019 5:11 pm

MTF wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 4:42 pm
^ 45 years at $1 a month. Is be inclined just to pay it in one sum, or at something like $90 a month for six months, than have a debt against my name for more than four decades.
You sir are considerably less spiteful than I am.

TexasPE

Post by TexasPE » Sun May 12, 2019 5:30 pm

Regarding appeals, your ultimate success may be higher if you work for a megacorp which self-insures. [They have an insurance company {BCBS, Aetna, etc.} handle claims processing and paperwork, but megacorp pays the bills].

While employed I had 100% success in appealing a half-dozen denials over the last 25+ years after the insurance claim processor denied them and my follow-up appeal.

We had an in-house HR person 'ombudsman' who would present the appeal to a board for review/ approval.

So, if you work for a large company that self-insures, be sure you make this final appeal within the company. Good luck!
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sun May 12, 2019 7:54 pm

MTF wrote:
^ 45 years at $1 a month. Is be inclined just to pay it in one sum, or at something like $90 a month for six months, than have a debt against my name for more than four decades.
If you're in a payment plan, does it show on your credit?

MTF

Post by MTF » Sun May 12, 2019 8:45 pm

I don’t know - what prompted my comment was more the absurdity of carrying such a small debt for 45 years; even out of spite. But where I come from ambulances are free, and I’m surprised that anyone should have to pay for them. On reflection, if I had to pay - and so much - maybe I’d be more inclined to a 45 year payment plan.

Topic Author
rasputin

Post by rasputin » Sun May 12, 2019 9:00 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 7:54 pm
MTF wrote:
If you're in a payment plan, does it show on your credit?
If it did, what would it matter? Might help - sometimes they like to see payments against a balance over time. Just got a mortgage, unlikely that we'll be applying for a loan anytime soon.

GreenGrowTheDollars

Post by GreenGrowTheDollars » Sun May 12, 2019 9:06 pm

Sometimes the insurance company is the one playing games.

I fell and dislocated my shoulder & broke my arm while visiting California. Fire Department/EMT showed up, determined that I needed transport to the nearest hospital via their ambulance. Off I went, feeling every single bump in the road.

The ambulance district billed my insurer some largish amount ($4k?). Insurance sent me an EOB saying that the discounted amount was some much smaller amount. I called the ambulance district and the woman in charge of billing literally laughed and said that a bunch of insurance companies attempt to insist that they have negotiated rates, which they do not. Called my insurance company, and the customer service rep immediately understood the problem when I said I was calling about an ambulance bill. Apparently, they give the "we've arranged discounted rates" effort the good old college try, but when it doesn't work, they go ahead and cut a check for the difference, payable to me. In turn, I cut a check to the ambulance district. Overall, it took about fifteen minutes of phone time, but pretty simple to resolve.

I'm thankful that the EMT/ambulance service was available. If insurance had not paid, I would have. I was in no condition to drive and we had no idea where the nearest emergency room would be.