Should I file an insurance claim?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
RMD3819

Should I file an insurance claim?

Post by RMD3819 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:55 pm

Background:

Wife and I live full time in a large but "medium" price wise RV, traveling around the country.

About a year ago we had some damage totaling about $7K with a $1K deductible. The claim experience was fantastic with little hassle.

Policy renewal arrived and there is no surcharge for the claim AND the vanishing deductible (for no claims) was applied and is now at $750. I contacted my agent who checked and he saw no record of the accident as far as the policy renewal but the premium went up about $300 to about $3K total. I paid in full the renewal.

A few days after that we had a small fire. The estimate, based on pictures, is $4K. The repairs do not need to be done immediately.

I am debating on whether to file a claim. The deductible is $1K since still under current policy and not the renewal. This leaves $3K which I could come up with. My main concern here is paying the penalty through surcharges (several years?) would make it not worth it. My other thought is they will realize their mistake in not surcharging for the first accident and lump that in there as well. OTOH this is what insurance is for.

Thoughts?

bob60014

Re: Should I file an insurance claim?

Post by bob60014 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:59 pm

Not sure about RV coverage but I always thought a vehicle fire is comprehensive, not a accident. Why would there be a surcharge?

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:58 pm

Get your free C.L.U.E. report and see if the accident is listed.

C.L.U.E. Personal Property Report
DESCRIPTION:
Report includes your C.L.U.E. Personal Property loss history, inquiry history, and information on how to dispute the claims in your report.

https://personalreports.lexisnexis.com/ ... losure.jsp :beer

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:04 am

I would be also worried you may get dropped completely from your insurer. I agree with grasshopper check your CLUE report as this will follow you between insurance carriers.

Personally I would probably just pay out of pocket...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Topic Author
RMD3819

Post by RMD3819 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:52 pm

I talked to my agent and the rough math shows that in the worse case scenario I would likely break even if I file a claim. This takes into account the surcharges for the next three years which he said would be $600/year. He said if it was him he would file.

He also said wait until the new policy is in effect (12/20) even though the claim won't be with that so as to minimize the chances they would surcharge the new policy (which was paid in full before all this).

I ordered that report-which i never heard of-and see what that says.

Thanks for all the advice.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:32 pm

So I think you risk your insurance company dropping you right after you file the claim. Then having two small claims on your CLUE report which drives the rate up from other insurers. I imagine RV insurance is already a niche produce in the insurance industry.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Topic Author
RMD3819

Post by RMD3819 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:55 pm

Update-

The CLUE report came and my claim is not on it so I went ahead and filed the claim. My agent also mentioned he did not think a comprehensive claim would result in a surcharge.

Waiting on the adjuster...