Obamacare (ACA) Ruled Unconstitutional by Texas Federal Court

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
dcop

Obamacare (ACA) Ruled Unconstitutional by Texas Federal Court

Post by dcop »

[See my post below. --admin LadyGeek]

I sure hope the pre-existing protection gets saved.
stan1

Re: ACA Struck down...yikes

Post by stan1 »

Thread will get locked, but make sure you read what really happened. Saying it was struck down is an over simplification but makes for a good headline. It will go to Supreme Court.
Topic Author
dcop

Post by dcop »

Well it is a Personal Finance issue for many people. And it's not speculation, it did happen today.
mlebuf

Post by mlebuf »

Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.
soda_bandit

Post by soda_bandit »

My goal was to retire significantly before medicare eligibility. I could afford to pay a bunch more for healthcare with the mandate gone, but I remember what medical underwriting was like pre-ACA and imagine it'd be essentially impossible for someone to qualify for that old fashioned individual health insurance in late middle age.

I guess tonight's court decision (assuming it continues to be upheld) will mean that I'll either have to revise that plan and keep working, or plan to retire outside the USA.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

stan1 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:38 pm Thread will get locked, but make sure you read what really happened. Saying it was struck down is an over simplification but makes for a good headline. It will go to Supreme Court.
Well it has to make it through the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals first. And then it will probably end up at the Supreme court. Short term there isn't anything to do or really debate. We can post that a dozen legal scholars (both conservative and liberal) think the arguement is weak but that doesn't tell us if 5 supreme court justices think the same way.
bluquark

Post by bluquark »

If anyone was waiting till the last minute to sign up for the ACA, sign up anyway. It's not fully struck down yet and it's survived the Supreme Court once before. As usual with government policy changes, it's safer to assume they won't happen until they completely do.
70/30 portfolio | Equity: global market weight | Bonds: 20% long-term munis - 10% LEMB
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: ACA Struck down...yikes [by federal judge in Texas]

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed several off-topic posts. This is a strict "no politics" forum. Until the law changes, discussion of the ACA's status is off-topic. As a reminder, see: Politics and Religion
In order to avoid the inevitable frictions that arise from these topics, political or religious posts and comments are prohibited. The only exceptions to this rule are:
  • Common religious expressions such as sending your prayers to an ailing member.
  • Usage of factual and non-derogatory political labels when necessary to the discussion at hand.
  • Discussions about enacted laws or regulations that affect the individual investor. Note that discussions of proposed legislation are prohibited.
  • Proposed regulations that are directly related to investing may be discussed if and when they are published for public comments.
This thread has run its course and is locked.

Update: See below.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Muri

Obamacare Ruled Illegal by Texas Federal Court

Post by Muri »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

I thought I would start this topic. It sounds like this will end up in the Supreme Court. My concern is losing the ability to cover children until age 26.
Last edited by Muri on Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
lakpr

Re: OBAMACARE RULED ILLEGAL BY TEXAS COURT

Post by lakpr »

[See below. --admin LadyGeek]

A thread was already started by someone else and the thread was promptly locked by admin Lady Geek.
Longdog

Post by Longdog »

Wouldn't encouraging people to contact their elected representatives be actionable on this topic?
Steve
Muri

Post by Muri »

I hope this thread isn't shut down. I am not commenting on any political basis. This is an ongoing situation that affects finances.
magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter »

Muri wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:50 am I thought I would start this topic. It sounds like this will end up in the Supreme Court. My concern is losing the ability to cover children until age 26.
That is an easy thing to cover and will likely survive in some form. Young people are cheap to insure. The difficult thing is pre-existing conditions. I’m so glad that in eight months I’ll be on Medicare.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

It’s not law, it’s up for discussion. I can see this thread being shut down based on forum rules. Also, screaming by writing the topic in capital letters is not proper etiquette.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
goaties

Post by goaties »

In order to keep this from being shut down, we have to keep it actionable. I suggest the worried OP check out this site which describes each state's health insurance system:
https://www.healthinsurance.org/state-h ... exchanges/

Perhaps moving to a state which has a well-run system is an option? Massachusetts has been doing Romney-Care (the precursor to Obamacare) for many years now. Vermont has been doing some interesting things to prop up their system. Learning about how health insurance works and where you might best benefit is certainly actionable.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

This is unfortunate I know several people that use Obamacare in New York and they like it. I believe there is a big push in New York to move to single payer also.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

Supposedly, this issue will next go to a Circuit Appeal court then the Supreme Court. This was a court ruling not a change in current law yet.
Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

fsrph wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:44 am Supposedly, this issue will next go to a Circuit Appeal court then the Supreme Court. This was a court ruling not a change in current law yet.
Francis
Bold added by me. This is good news; I hope it is correct. And I hope if they change the law, they give some notice...but I'm not counting on it. I'd really like to understand some strategies for health insurance planning in what appears to be an increasingly unpredictable environment.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

The healthcare.gov website has a terse banner reading "courts decision does not affect this season's open enrollment".
staythecourse

Re: Obamacare Ruled Illegal by Texas Federal Court

Post by staythecourse »

Verma the head of CMS already tweeted out no changes will come for participants of the ACA for 2019 irregardless of what happens to this lawsuit. Believe the White House has said the same as well.

So for now it is non issue for 2019.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

After receiving a PM, this thread is now unlocked to discuss impacts of the court decision on your situation.

The thread will be locked if the discussion becomes political.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

No changes for at least 2019. Other than worry not sure what needs to be done any time soon.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
Longdog

Post by Longdog »

bottlecap wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:18 am This really is a non-issue. I haven’t read the entire ruling, but I read the order. The "problem" the court found with the law seems easily fixable by the legislature.

Entitlements, especially those that are directed to the well-off, are nearly impossible to eliminate. It is too politically costly. At the very least, the legislature will simply eliminate the mandate. Problem solved.

So relax. Worry about something truly devastating and unfair to your finances. Like the phase out of the tax credit you were going to receive on your Tesla.

JT
They already did eliminate the mandate in the new tax law. That's the entire premise of this ruling.
Steve
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I don't think the decision should be unexpected.

What's actionable now?
- Save more money if you plan to retire early
- Keep your job with health insurance benefits as long as you can
- Keep your job skills current so you have lower risk of layoff (doesn't always work)
- Marry someone who has more secure health insurance benefits (such as a military retiree)
- Use exercise and diet to hopefully lower your chances of developing a costly medical condition and to manage anything you do have
- Let the people you love and cherish around you know you rely on medical insurance. Maybe some of it will rub off and there will be more empathy.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Obamacare (ACA) Ruled Illegal by Texas Federal Court

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Muri's thread into the on-going discussion. I have also retitled the thread.

This is a strict "no politics" forum, several posts have been removed.

As noted earlier, the discussion had been locked due to political opinions. Upon further review (and member request via PM), the thread is unlocked to continue the discussion as it applies to your own situation.

Political comments remain off-topic.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

After considering the issue a bit, I am reminded of a quote attributed by some to Aesop: After all is said and done, more is said than done.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
metalworking

Post by metalworking »

staythecourse wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:04 am Verma the head of CMS already tweeted out no changes will come for participants of the ACA for 2019 irregardless of what happens to this lawsuit. Believe the White House has said the same as well.

Good luck.
I read her tweet. I understand that right now it does not affect any current or 2019 plan but i don't think it says regardless of what happens in the lawsuit 2019 plans wont be affected. Where did you see this?
MinhN

Post by MinhN »

New Jersey made it mandatory to carry health insurance or face a penalty so nothing changes for me as a resident.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Longdog wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:27 am
They already did eliminate the mandate in the new tax law. That's the entire premise of this ruling.

"Resolution of these claims rests at the intersection of the ACA, the Supreme Court’s decision in NFIB, and the TCJA. In NFIB, the Supreme Court held the Individual Mandate was unconstitutional under the Interstate Commerce Clause but could fairly be read as an exercise of Congress’s Tax Power because it triggered a tax. The TCJA eliminated that tax. The Supreme Court’s reasoning in NFIB buttressed by other binding precedent and plain text thus compels the conclusion that the Individual Mandate may no longer be upheld under the Tax Power. And because the Individual Mandate continues to mandate the purchase of health insurance, it remains unsustainable under the Interstate Commerce Clause as the Supreme Court already held."

JT
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

metalworking wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:00 am
staythecourse wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:04 am Verma the head of CMS already tweeted out no changes will come for participants of the ACA for 2019 irregardless of what happens to this lawsuit. Believe the White House has said the same as well.

Good luck.
I read her tweet. I understand that right now it does not affect any current or 2019 plan but i don't think it says regardless of what happens in the lawsuit 2019 plans wont be affected. Where did you see this?
Sorry if I wasn't being clear. Meant her tweet suggests 2019 plans are intact so this decision will not affect 2019.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Keeping it to my situation. I would be affected.

Plan A would be to hope my state legislature steps in and does something. Since I live in California, that seems like a plausible thing to hope for.

Plan B would be to go back to work. I’m only a couple of years away from working, and I still get contacts from recruiters. I can do contract work 3-6 months per year, then use COBRA until it runs out. Then get another contract. I don’t want to work, work was destroying my health, and have no financial need other than for healthcare purposes, but there you are.

Plan C would be to move to Massachusetts.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

MinhN wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:01 am New Jersey made it mandatory to carry health insurance or face a penalty so nothing changes for me as a resident.
If this ruling stands, you might not be able to actually get that required health insurance.
Longdog

Post by Longdog »

bottlecap wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:20 am
Longdog wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:27 am

"Resolution of these claims rests at the intersection of the ACA, the Supreme Court’s decision in NFIB, and the TCJA. In NFIB, the Supreme Court held the Individual Mandate was unconstitutional under the Interstate Commerce Clause but could fairly be read as an exercise of Congress’s Tax Power because it triggered a tax. The TCJA eliminated that tax. The Supreme Court’s reasoning in NFIB buttressed by other binding precedent and plain text thus compels the conclusion that the Individual Mandate may no longer be upheld under the Tax Power. And because the Individual Mandate continues to mandate the purchase of health insurance, it remains unsustainable under the Interstate Commerce Clause as the Supreme Court already held."

JT
Okay - now I understand what you meant. So you're saying if the individual mandate were formally removed from the ACA, instead of just setting it to zero, that would eliminate the basis of the Texas judge's ruling. Arguably, the Appeals Court or Supreme Court could conclude that the Texas judge over-reached, and could not rule the entire law constitutional, only the mandate part of it. On the other hand, it was the mandate that made the "no surcharge for pre-existing conditions" part of the law palatable.

Interestingly, there are two other tax items that seem to have been overlooked - the 3.8% Net Investment Income Tax, and the 0.9% Medicare Surcharge, both of which came into existence with the passage of the ACA. I don't know where they'd fit in, since I don't think the Supreme Court decision considered those items because they were looking at the constitutionality of the mandate.
Steve
MinhN

Post by MinhN »

quantAndHold wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:05 am
MinhN wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:01 am New Jersey made it mandatory to carry health insurance or face a penalty so nothing changes for me as a resident.
If this ruling stands, you might not be able to actually get that required health insurance.
I don't see how this ruling would strike down the NJ law. People can buy health insurance outside of the marketplace.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I would point out that the court ruled that it is unconstitutional, not illegal. There is a difference.
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

quantAndHold wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:00 am Keeping it to my situation. I would be affected.

Plan A would be to hope my state legislature steps in and does something. Since I live in California, that seems like a plausible thing to hope for.

Plan B would be to go back to work. I’m only a couple of years away from working, and I still get contacts from recruiters. I can do contract work 3-6 months per year, then use COBRA until it runs out. Then get another contract. I don’t want to work, work was destroying my health, and have no financial need other than for healthcare purposes, but there you are.

How does contract work get you health insurance? The companies I am familiar with do not provide health insurance to contractors, particularly those working 3-6 months per year.

I'm in a similar situation, and am actually considering moving to California.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

Kenkat wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:32 am I would point out that the court ruled that it is unconstitutional, not illegal. There is a difference.
Generally speaking, in the U.S. actions are said to be "illegal" whereas laws are said to be "unconstitutional."
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Kenkat wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:32 am I would point out that the court ruled that it is unconstitutional, not illegal. There is a difference.
Thanks, I fixed the thread title.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

MinhN wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:31 am
I don't see how this ruling would strike down the NJ law. People can buy health insurance outside of the marketplace.
The part of the law that’s in question at the moment is that insurance companies are required to sell insurance to everyone for the same basic price, regardless of preexisting conditions. Before the ACA, the price of insurance rose dramatically with age, and if you had any preexisting condition at all, you couldn’t get insurance at any price. People not being able to get health insurance was a normal problem. We would be going back to that. You might be required by your state to have insurance, but you you might not be able to actually get it.
snowman

Post by snowman »

It wouldn't. NJ (or any other state) can mandate having insurance, but if the federal subsidies are gone, it essentially becomes unaffordable for about 90% of people. That family of 4 with AGI of $60K will not be able to afford annual premium of $30K with $6K deductible and $12K OOP maximum! They will not buy insurance no matter the mandate or size of penalty.

The only way nothing changes for you as resident is if your state passes similar law, including exclusion of pre-existing conditions, and funds it with its own money.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Hayden wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:40 am
quantAndHold wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:00 am Keeping it to my situation. I would be affected.

How does contract work get you health insurance? The companies I am familiar with do not provide health insurance to contractors, particularly those working 3-6 months per year.

I'm in a similar situation, and am actually considering moving to California.
I work in software development. All the contract jobs now are W-2 employment with a job shop that pays “full” benefits, including health insurance that’s eligible for COBRA. A 401K kicks in once you’re there for six months.

I was looking for 1099 contracts last year, because I wanted to put the income into a 401K, but didn’t want to work all year. All I could find was W-2.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Interesting times. I'll stay out of speculation on how the appeals rulings may go. An unfortunate side effect is that while the ruling is hanging fire, there is no real pressure on congress to come up with a bipartisan alternative.

My actionable question is whether I should try to switch my 2019 ACA application to using the advance premium tax credits. For the past two years, I've been paying the full premiums out of pocket and collecting the subsidy in my tax return. Partly because the California site was so screwed up, and partly because paying the premiums by credit card was an easy way to meet the spending requirements for CC signup bonuses. I'd hate to do that again this year and then have some technicality from the end ruling come up and find that I'm not able to get the refundable tax credit when I file 2019 taxes.
MinhN

Post by MinhN »

quantAndHold wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:51 am
The part of the law that’s in question at the moment is that insurance companies are required to sell insurance to everyone for the same basic price, regardless of preexisting conditions. Before the ACA, the price of insurance rose dramatically with age, and if you had any preexisting condition at all, you couldn’t get insurance at any price. People not being able to get health insurance was a normal problem. We would be going back to that. You might be required by your state to have insurance, but you you might not be able to actually get it.
Interesting, I did not know. I was but a college boy before the ACA.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

quantAndHold wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:51 am ... if you had any preexisting condition at all, you couldn’t get insurance at any price.
I would like to better understand the comments about preexisting conditions.

First...if someone chooses not to buy health insurance, develops a condition, and then wants to buy it after the fact, that would be a preexisting condition. With ObamaCare, I think you can do this...you can buy with a health condition during open enrollment or anytime by moving to a new zip code.

However, if someone continuously has insurance and develops a condition, that condition would not be "preexisting," would it? It developed after you had purchased insurance.

What if you are covered by an employer's plan, develop a condition, retire and apply for private (non-employer) insurance. Since you are continuously insured, would that condition be considered preexisting?

If you are responsible and are continuously covered by health insurance, as you should be, what is the concern about preexisting conditions? Can someone please explain?

Thanks!
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

fsrph wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:44 am Supposedly, this issue will next go to a Circuit Appeal court then the Supreme Court. This was a court ruling not a change in current law yet.
Francis
Question: Doesn't a court ruling have the same effect as changing the law? Is there a difference?
metalworking

Post by metalworking »

munemaker wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:25 pm
quantAndHold wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:51 am ... if you had any preexisting condition at all, you couldn’t get insurance at any price.
I would like to better understand the comments about preexisting conditions.

First...if someone chooses not to buy health insurance, develops a condition, and then wants to buy it after the fact, that would be a preexisting condition. With ObamaCare, I think you can do this...you can buy with a health condition during open enrollment or anytime by moving to a new zip code.

However, if someone continuously has insurance and develops a condition, that condition would not be "preexisting," would it? It developed after you had purchased insurance.

What if you are covered by an employer's plan, develop a condition, retire and apply for private (non-employer) insurance. Since you are continuously insured, would that condition be considered preexisting?

If you are responsible and are continuously covered by health insurance, as you should be, what is the concern about preexisting conditions? Can someone please explain?

Thanks!
If you have a condition when working for an employer and then retire you will have to sign up for a different plan. Anytime you change a plan your previous conditions are preexisting. It is irrelevant that you were continuously covered.
BrooklynInvest

Re: Obamacare (ACA) Ruled Unconstitutional by Texas Federal Court

Post by BrooklynInvest »

This is a good question. My guess is that confusion would ensue as this gets answered. . . perhaps 50 times.

But plans are renewed annually so I believe there's a significant risk that your insurance wouldn't be renewed OR your insurer would go back to being able to discriminate through price -

"Sure we'll offer you insurance now that you have ______, but your premiums are gonna go up by X hundred percent."

I'm hopeful this gets resolved without change. Else my early retirement is in jeopardy. Moving to England our backup plan.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

munemaker wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:25 pm If you are responsible and are continuously covered by health insurance, as you should be, what is the concern about preexisting conditions? Can someone please explain?

Thanks!
You are 4 months pregnant or have high blood pressure and have good employer provided health insurance. You are laid off from your job even though you are very good at what you do. You go on CORBA and look for a new job. You find one with health insurance benefits, but that plan doesn't cover pre-existing conditions (or requires you be on the plan for a year before it will cover them). You then have a difficult delivery or a complication. You would not be covered because it is a pre-existing condition.
Infomom2

Post by Infomom2 »

munemaker wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:25 pm

Thanks!
I believe there are 2 situations related to this that, to the best of my understanding, effect my family.
1) I have had continuous health insurance that is through my job. However, at some point I would like to be self-employed which means purchasing insurance. I believe that's when my pre-existing conditions would be problematic as I would need to purchase my own insurance as opposed to being on insurance from my workplace.

2)I have a 16 year old with significant medical issues. She currently qualifies for CHIP, but will obviously age out of that eventually and at that point either she or I will be looking at paying for a policy for her; my work does not have dependent health care options. That's when her pre-existing issues become a problem. Also, when 16 year old was younger I had to buy her insurance before the ACA and CHIP was not available. She already had minor medical issus. Her premiums the next year and then other insurance carriers would not even take her.
Last edited by Infomom2 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.