New job, sales at Subaru

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
emanuel_v19

New job, sales at Subaru

Post by emanuel_v19 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:12 pm

Hello all,

I managed to get a job a Subaru in the sales department and I'm excited to begin this venture.

I've wanted to get into sales for a while now and I figured this would be a great opportunity for me since I have no fixed, monthly financial obligations.

One of the reasons I took this job was because it's a family-owned business that allows you the opportunity to become an entrepreneur. They provide additional training if needed, support you along the way to attain your goals and help you achieve success. I figured this could be stepping stone and a good introduction to my final goal in starting my own business.

This being said, does anyone recommend any books, podcast or readings on how to become proficient in sales?

Currently, I've been watching Brian Tracy which I really enjoyed so far.

Thank you!

HEDGEFUNDIE

Re: New job, sales at Subaru

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:14 pm

Teague

Post by Teague » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:42 pm

How to win friends and influence people by Dale Carnegie is a classic. It was written in 1936, and still earns 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon. Timeless.
Semper Augustus

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:44 am

Very interesting and sounds like a good dealership. How does the sales position and training evolve into being an entrepreneur? Good luck and I’m curious to hear your thoughts as it progresses.

Nandarit

Post by Nandarit » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:54 am

Teague wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:42 pm
How to win friends and influence people by Dale Carnegie is a classic. It was written in 1936, and still earns 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon. Timeless.
Agree with you. This is a great author. I liked his book How to Stop Worrying and Start Living.
Last edited by Nandarit on Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic Author
emanuel_v19

Post by emanuel_v19 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:45 pm

Teague wrote:
I've read it and I'll re-read it for sure. However, I do feel a little sick to my stomach on some chapters of the book. Some of the things he points out should be common sense in my opinion but for some reason, we put him on a pedestal for instructing us how to do it. Anyway, thank you for reminding me of this book!

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:53 pm

I recommend The Challenger Sale.

Most important thing I’d recommend is making sure you know all of the features and trim levels of the cars you sell. There is nothing worse than dealing with a salesman who doesn’t know his own product.

Topic Author
emanuel_v19

Post by emanuel_v19 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:55 pm

3504PIR wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:44 am
Very interesting and sounds like a good dealership. How does the sales position and training evolve into being an entrepreneur? Good luck and I’m curious to hear your thoughts as it progresses.
I went to orientation and I was really impressed by the way the organization functions. Granted, this is the 1st car dealership I work at, but I sense this will be a different experience based on the bad reputation of dealerships and stories we hear of employees not being treated properly.

Based on what I've been told, you get the Entrepreneurship experience in the sense that you have full control of your plan, decisions, and actions you take to make a sale. I suppose it's not a sheet with a plan that the company gives you and you follow in order to make the sales/quota. That's what I got from the interviews and orientation. I'll know as time goes by.

Topic Author
emanuel_v19

Post by emanuel_v19 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:56 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:53 pm

Most important thing I’d recommend is making sure you know all of the features and trim levels of the cars you sell. There is nothing worse than dealing with a salesman who doesn’t know his own product.
Thanks and I agree 100%.

Bigfish

Post by Bigfish » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:57 pm

Teague wrote:
+1

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:00 pm

Jags4186 wrote:

Having just been shopping for a car, I second this.

Also I was very annoyed at being lied to. I had read up on the web before going to dealerships, and several times salesmen flat out lied always to discourage me from buying a hybrid or EV. Like telling me a hybrid got only 2mpg more than the gas version, or the base price of a hybrid was $10,000 more than I knew it was. I asked my brother why this was and he said dealerships make most of their money on repairs and energy efficient cars need fewer repairs. Just because I'm female and have white hair doesn't mean I'm an idiot.

satoriboat

Post by satoriboat » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:11 pm

I spent 12 years in that business including time as the Sales Manager of a VW/Subaru dealership. The very best advice I can give you is the avoid the negativity and cynicism of the veterans around you. Yes,,they will try to bring you down. They will try to tell you why every up is no good,,,,,,, just ignore the old guys. Later in your career remember that as long as you are a car guy value your position and don't have one foot out the door. The most successful guys in any field are those who love what they are doing.

texaspapas

Post by texaspapas » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:59 pm

Congratulations on your new job. I don't know much about sales, but Subaru's certainly have some very worthy qualities.

Check out these sites run by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (it's a non-profit funded by an insurance consortium that advocates safer vehicle construction).
Overall top pick safety ratings:
https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/TSP-List
You'll notice one brand consistently with the best ratings.

Injury statistics per vehicle:
https://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/driver-death-rates
Again, Subaru frequently on top... So not only do they test better, a significant number of their models seem to show better real-world performance with respect to injuries sustained in crashes when compared to vehicles in their same class.

Also Consumer Reports tends to like them with the new Ascent being #1 pick amongst midsize SUVs, the Legacy being #1 pick for midsize sedans, the Impreza and Outback being #2 in their classes, and other models very highly rated or "Recommended" buys. That was after a glance at their site, and I didn't check all models.

For Subaru you certainly will have a lot of ammo to use for selling points.

In terms of disclosure I am a happy Toyota owner, but I do like certain aspects of Subaru engineering.

Good luck and enjoy your new job!

buccimane

Post by buccimane » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:24 pm

Don't drive potential customers crazy with follow up call after follow up call.

I ended up buying my car from a sales woman who made little attempt to 'sell' me on a car. Rather just showed me around and answered questions if I had any. The rest of the time was spent just conversing over small-talk. Some people, myself included, don't like being pitched to. Just answer the few questions I have and sit back and relax 8-)
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:44 pm

I don't think car salesman are held in the highest regard. Try and help raise the bar on that by not putting people in a car they can't afford, don't really want, or steering them to models you want to sell.
There are many threads here on buying a car and none of them portray the car salesman in a good light. Make yourself the exception.

corysold

Post by corysold » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:50 pm

Zig Ziglar has some good books on sales. The names escape me at the moment, but Google him.

jbmitt

Post by jbmitt » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:56 pm

buccimane wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:24 pm

I ended up buying my car from a sales woman who made little attempt to 'sell' me on a car. Rather just showed me around and answered questions if I had any. The rest of the time was spent just conversing over small-talk. Some people, myself included, don't like being pitched to. Just answer the few questions I have and sit back and relax 8-)
A hundred times this. Subaru vehicles mostly sell themselves, and you will find out that the typical owners are different compared to other brands. I've often heard of salespeople complain because Subaru buyers are often rather savvy and may chose to be cash buyers and are knowledgable on pricing, interest rates, money factors on leases. Being upfront and transparent with them rather than trying to be sneaky may be a stronger option.

I live in a fairly isolated mid-size city and our dealer was trying to sell new Ascents with a $5000 market adjustment. The sales guy tried to weasel in about how its new and in high demand. I told him that I wasn't in any rush and would wait for normal pricing, or buy it from a volume dealer like Heuberger Subaru in Colorado Springs or use Subaru VIP pricing.

OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:23 pm

Jags4186 wrote:

Amen to this...I actually went to a Subaru dealership last year to buy two new cars for my daughters...I said I just want to buy two Outbacks can you tell me about trim levels and the guy handed me a brochure and said you can read about it here and then come back when you know what you want..I did come back...to another dealer 40 miles away and left after buying two cars...LOL...good lord..from what I have seen Subaru has a cult like following and sell really well built cars. If they made something like my Land cruiser I would sure give them a look!

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:40 pm

buccimane wrote:

Reading people is key and how you actually get sales. Some people already know everything about the cars, and don't want you going over it all. Others don't know anything at all and need to be hand held. You need to know who is who. When I bought my last car, the sales person could tell I already did all the research as soon as he met me, so when I asked for a test drive he gave me the keys and said to bring it back in once piece (he didn't go with me). I bought the car from him because of that, he read me perfectly. I was able to drive the car for an hour on my own and test it the way I wanted to, where I wanted to. That's exactly what I wanted.

Him and I actually became friends after that. And from the stories he tells, you will have your work cut out for you. Car sales is hard, the margins are small (contrary to what most people think) and the cut for the sales guy is even smaller. I'll echo what someone above said, ignore the old sales guys, they're mostly insufferable. You're going to make your money on upsells and addons, the stuff nobody needs but you need to act like people need. You need to be ok with that. People think car salesmen are slimy and pushy, but people don't know that if a salesman doesn't make a sale, they don't eat, and in the current day and age, volume matters more than margin (cuz there's little of the later).

mrmass

Post by mrmass » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:51 pm

A=Always
B=Be
C=Closing

Know your product and know the cars they will shop it against.

In another life many years ago we were taught buyers are liars from my days selling cars. Not all that is true. Some will grind you down to your final price then shop that number to a dealer for $50.00 less. Others will shake your hand and buy at your sales managers first response.

Drive all the models in your lineup. Also know your inventory-You might need to get used to working 9-9 5 days and 9-6 on Sat, and every other Sunday.
Know what your commission is based on. In my day it was the "profit" on the car. The issue with that is that the managers/owners didn't tell you that the profit was.

Lots of "mini" deals out there. Mini as in minimum payout-It might be $75/car.

Good luck learn some other skill to elevate yourself-shoveling show off your cars blows...

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:57 pm

Question Based Selling by Tom Freese is a good one. It will help you learn the customer's issues without being pushy.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/568 ... ed_Selling

Topic Author
emanuel_v19

Post by emanuel_v19 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:14 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:44 pm
I don't think car salesman are held in the highest regard. Try and help raise the bar on that by not putting people in a car they can't afford, don't really want, or steering them to models you want to sell.
There are many threads here on buying a car and none of them portray the car salesman in a good light. Make yourself the exception.
That is my priority. In fact, the reason I joined this dealership was because of the high standards towards customer service. In reality, I don't get paid on commission. My job is to be a steward to the guest and make them drive off with a new car as happy as they can be. I can resonate with their value 100% and that is why I joined.

Topic Author
emanuel_v19

Post by emanuel_v19 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:15 pm

jbmitt wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:56 pm
buccimane wrote:

A hundred times this. Subaru vehicles mostly sell themselves, and you will find out that the typical owners are different compared to other brands. I've often heard of salespeople complain because Subaru buyers are often rather savvy and may chose to be cash buyers and are knowledgable on pricing, interest rates, money factors on leases. Being upfront and transparent with them rather than trying to be sneaky may be a stronger option.

I live in a fairly isolated mid-size city and our dealer was trying to sell new Ascents with a $5000 market adjustment. The sales guy tried to weasel in about how its new and in high demand. I told him that I wasn't in any rush and would wait for normal pricing, or buy it from a volume dealer like Heuberger Subaru in Colorado Springs or use Subaru VIP pricing.
I plan on being upfront and transparent even if at the end of the day I don't get the sale or worst, get fired for no sales at all :o

Topic Author
emanuel_v19

Post by emanuel_v19 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:17 pm

mrmass wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:51 pm
A=Always
B=Be
C=Closing

Know your product and know the cars they will shop it against.

In another life many years ago we were taught buyers are liars from my days selling cars. Not all that is true. Some will grind you down to your final price then shop that number to a dealer for $50.00 less. Others will shake your hand and buy at your sales managers first response.

Drive all the models in your lineup. Also know your inventory-You might need to get used to working 9-9 5 days and 9-6 on Sat, and every other Sunday.
Know what your commission is based on. In my day it was the "profit" on the car. The issue with that is that the managers/owners didn't tell you that the profit was.

Lots of "mini" deals out there. Mini as in minimum payout-It might be $75/car.

Good luck learn some other skill to elevate yourself-shoveling show off your cars blows...
Thank you! I do plan to bust my butt off and learn everything I can. I have not asked about the pay program but we don't work on comission.

Topic Author
emanuel_v19

Post by emanuel_v19 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:18 pm

Thank you so much, everyone. Great responses so far :happy

multiham

Post by multiham » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:30 pm

Few pieces of advice:

Listen, truly listen to what the customer needs. I'm in sales (not car sales) and I listen way more than I speak.

Please do not assume that if a couple comes in to buy a car, that you should immediately gravitate to talking to the man. This has happened to my wife and I multiple times when buying HER car. It has happened even after I tell the sales person that the car is for my wife.

Never bash another dealer or another brand of car. I think that is just petty. If your car is as good as you say it is, I will have read about it and it will show during the test drive.

Please don't waste my time. If you can't meet my needs (price, availability, etc) just let me know.

Topic Author
emanuel_v19

Post by emanuel_v19 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:15 pm

multiham wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:30 pm
Few pieces of advice:

Listen, truly listen to what the customer needs. I'm in sales (not car sales) and I listen way more than I speak.

Please do not assume that if a couple comes in to buy a car, that you should immediately gravitate to talking to the man. This has happened to my wife and I multiple times when buying HER car. It has happened even after I tell the sales person that the car is for my wife.

Never bash another dealer or another brand of car. I think that is just petty. If your car is as good as you say it is, I will have read about it and it will show during the test drive.

Please don't waste my time. If you can't meet my needs (price, availability, etc) just let me know.
This sounds identical to my past experience of buying a car. I understand and it boggles my mind how many salespeople(no matter which type of sales) don't listen. Thank you for solidifying my thoughts.

Nissanzx1

Post by Nissanzx1 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:22 pm

Congrats on your new job. I did this job in college (used dealer) and it was invaluable. If you can sell cars, you can sell anything. Find a mentor that does this that has a long, proven track record and watch him/her.

Listen more than you speak. Learn about personality types, learn how to read people's body language. Learn about how to sell each type of customer. Learn about the service drive. That's where the big money is made in this business.

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:25 pm

multiham wrote:
Few pieces of advice:

Yep. I hate when a salesman starts pushing me toward something before we've established what I'm looking for.
Yep, again. This happens to my wife and I a lot. I suspect it's partly due to me being a "car guy" and knowing more about whatever we are looking at than she does, or me being more interested in features, materials, etc. BUT, when we introduce ourselves with the fact that the Mrs. is looking for a new vehicle, don't keep trying to sell me.
You're on fire, multiham. When I shop for cars, I'm not just looking at one model. If I'm looking at full size sedans, I'm going to be looking at the Honda Accord, Mazda 6, Subaru Legacy, etc., not just one of them. So, when the salesman asks if I'm ready to buy, and I say "No, I'm going to look at a few other models", he looks like a petty loser if he badmouths the other brands.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Globalviewer58

Post by Globalviewer58 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:45 pm

My favorite sales training video is Glengarry Glen Ross. You will find it on Amazon Prime Video.

Here's a synopsis of the story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glengarry ... oss_(film)

For sales staff selling a want versus need, I ask if they have ever killed anything to eat - fish, chicken, deer, cattle, etc. You pretty quickly find the folks who understand you need to close the sale, it will not come to you. Always be closing. There is no need to be dishonest or rude, just be aware that you will need to initiate the action that results in a sale.

orlandoman

Post by orlandoman » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:56 pm

"Subaru vehicles mostly sell themselves, and you will find out that the typical owners are different compared to other brands. I've often heard of salespeople complain because Subaru buyers are often rather savvy and may chose to be cash buyers and are knowledgable on pricing, interest rates, money factors on leases. Being upfront and transparent with them rather than trying to be sneaky may be a stronger option."

I strongly agree with the above!

IMHO, "Always Be Closing" although it may work with other products/services, in not the way to sell Subaru's. Become a Subaru enthusiast!

I am a Subaru Owner, Subaru Ambassador (look that up) and retired Sales Leadership Coach.
"Not everything you read on the Internet is true", Abraham Lincoln

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:08 pm

Emanuel, are you a member of some of the leading Subaru enthusiast websites? IWSTI and Nasioc come to mind. LegacyGT.org, dirtyimpreza.com, RS25.com, iClub. There are a gaggle of model specific sites out there too for Forester, Crosstrek and Outback that I know of. I think it's worth keeping a pulse on what the enthusiast community has going on and what they think. If you can, go to Subiefest, Wicked Big Meet, etc. When I bought my wife's Legacy over the summer, I targeted this specific dealer because I could PM the vendor....who was a forum supporter, right from my preferred forum's website. My sales guy was a real enthusiast, having done numerous track days and driving a Subaru by choice....not just because he worked at the dealer. Being enthusiastic about the make will come through. You don't need to be a fanboi or ignore the flaws in the cars, but being able to verbalize what you like about a model or trim or things the brand does across the line in a real way will give you credibility with customers.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Maverick3320

Post by Maverick3320 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:19 pm

mouses wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:00 pm
Jags4186 wrote:

Having just been shopping for a car, I second this.

Also I was very annoyed at being lied to. I had read up on the web before going to dealerships, and several times salesmen flat out lied always to discourage me from buying a hybrid or EV. Like telling me a hybrid got only 2mpg more than the gas version, or the base price of a hybrid was $10,000 more than I knew it was. I asked my brother why this was and he said dealerships make most of their money on repairs and energy efficient cars need fewer repairs. Just because I'm female and have white hair doesn't mean I'm an idiot.
Just out of curiosity - what does your gender have to do with it? I'm a white male (with dark hair) and I don't think I've ever been in a car dealership that hasn't lied to me in some shape or form.

RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:53 pm

OldBallCoach wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:23 pm
... from what I have seen Subaru has a cult like following and sell really well built cars.
I heard two remarkable things about them. One, they are the only brand in the world which increased its sales during the great recession. Two, an amazingly large number of their buyers pay cash. This later seems very Bogle'ish: buy a car you can afford when you can afford it, rather than stretching and going into debt.
If they made something like my Land cruiser I would sure give them a look!
I believe they are bringing out a new model, a mid-size SUV (Ascent ?).

nick evets

Post by nick evets » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:02 pm

emanuel_v19 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:17 pm

Thank you! I do plan to bust my butt off and learn everything I can. I have not asked about the pay program but we don't work on comission.
I would ask about the pay program.

Years ago (another life) I sold Subaru's and BMW's for a large dealership in the South East. A very challenging and interesting experience -- horrendous hours, and a visibility into every side of human nature when it came to money.

The 10%/90% rule was true then (I wasn't part of the 10%) and I suspect it's still true. I would only say this -- in short order you will discover if you enjoy 'closing', and if you don't, find a different career.

maroon

Post by maroon » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:06 pm

RustyShackleford wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:53 pm
I heard two remarkable things about them. One, they are the only brand in the world which increased its sales during the great recession. Two, an amazingly large number of their buyers pay cash. This later seems very Bogle'ish: buy a car you can afford when you can afford it, rather than stretching and going into debt.
One: per the Dec. 2018 issue of Car & Driver, Subaru has had 82 consecutive months of sales growth as of Sept. 2018. (This mentioned on page 90, in a review of the 2019 Forester.) Two: I own a Subaru, and I paid cash for it.

For the OP: I agree with comments above. One, don't outright blatantly LIE to a customer - I'm looking at you, a certain Honda dealership. Two, don't insist on selling to the husband if the actual buyer is the wife - I'm looking at you, pretty much every dealership I've encountered.

OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:14 pm

RustyShackleford wrote:
OldBallCoach wrote:
... from what I have seen Subaru has a cult like following and sell really well built cars.
If they made something like my Land cruiser I would sure give them a look!
I believe they are bringing out a new model, a mid-size SUV (Ascent ?).
I tend to not want to buy the first model year of anything and the new Ascent gets way too good of gas mileage compared to my current car Land Cruiser..( Large Marge). I will keep an eye out and thanks for the heads up!

HMdocinPA

Post by HMdocinPA » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:55 pm

RustyShackleford wrote:
OldBallCoach wrote:
Interestingly, I recently bought my first Subaru (an outback touring) and I paid cash. Must be a trend...

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:09 pm

Don’t BS the customer. If you get down to price, don’t do what a salesman at a family owned Subaru dealer tried to pull with me. Quote a price, I repeat the price, you get your manager who then proceeds to tell me it does not include title, registration etc. when the sales guy said it did. I walked out of a dealer that did that to me and my at the time expecting wife who was tired of the shenanigans went to another dealer 15 miles away and bought the same exact model for cash while getting the dealer to throw in a few freebies too. Dumb move on part of “family stealership”. On the forum they say to think of financial advisers as thieves, for the most part car salesman are the same. They like to play games. Oh, and they hate the creation of the internet which made information sharing the “norm”. I’m waiting for the car sales model where you can buy the car with a few clicks and avoid stealerships all together.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

FOGU

Post by FOGU » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:07 pm

Look up Jeffrey Gitomer and consume all you can.
~ Don't just do something. Sit there. ~

aerosurfer

Post by aerosurfer » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:18 am

emanuel_v19 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:45 pm
Teague wrote:
I've read it and I'll re-read it for sure. However, I do feel a little sick to my stomach on some chapters of the book. Some of the things he points out should be common sense in my opinion but for some reason, we put him on a pedestal for instructing us how to do it. Anyway, thank you for reminding me of this book!
I remember feeling the same way, in this boom and other similar topics. I’d find my self nodding in agreement then reflecting back as to why it looks so good on paper, but should generally be common sense, or common courtesy. Either way it holds water and if nothing else it’s good affirmation

clemrick

Post by clemrick » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:34 am

jbmitt wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:56 pm

I will add to this thought. I found our Forrester online, emailed the dealer to see if it was still for sale and went in two days later to buy it.

When we went into the finance office, the guy asked how we wanted to finance it (I know, but our old car was suddenly near death (350,000 miles will do that to a car) and we needed something right away). I took out my spreadsheet and told him which of the financing options I wanted. He said he liked dealing with Subaru buyers because they did their homework and knew what they wanted.

Start by assuming your customers know what they want and listen to them.

pennylane

Post by pennylane » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:37 am

Teague wrote:
+1 READ this and follow it like your life depended on it, if you do, you will have great success in sales and more importantly life

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:49 am

clemrick wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:34 am
I will add to this thought. I found our Forrester online, emailed the dealer to see if it was still for sale and went in two days later to buy it.

When we went into the finance office, the guy asked how we wanted to finance it (I know, but our old car was suddenly near death (350,000 miles will do that to a car) and we needed something right away). I took out my spreadsheet and told him which of the financing options I wanted. He said he liked dealing with Subaru buyers because they did their homework and knew what they wanted.

Wow. This is extremely unusual. At most dealerships, the F&I department makes more money than the new car sales department. Even more than the car salesman, the finance guy is the one pushing you to spend more money (always quoted on a monthly basis) for a loan, credit insurance, extended warranties, fabric/leather protection, magic talismen, etc. Some can be very pushy and smarmy, while others take "no" a little more easily.

On the other hand, it does sometimes save money to borrow through the dealer, as they sometimes get incentives from the manufacturer that can reduce interest rates or even the actual sale price. I bought a one year old car last year at a new car dealership, and after all negotiations were done, I was told that Nissan provided $1,000 to the dealer for CPO sales that included a loan with Nissan' lending arm. The dealer offered to split the $1,000 with me if I took out a Nissan loan. I hadn't intended to take a loan at all, but did so to shave $500 off of the price. I paid off the loan after three months.

To the OP, I hope this adventure turns out well for you. I hope the Subaru store is a good place to work, and is honest and customer-oriented.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

clemrick

Post by clemrick » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:02 am

deanbrew wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:49 am
clemrick wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:34 am

Wow. This is extremely unusual. At most dealerships, the F&I department makes more money than the new car sales department. Even more than the car salesman, the finance guy is the one pushing you to spend more money (always quoted on a monthly basis) for a loan, credit insurance, extended warranties, fabric/leather protection, magic talismen, etc. Some can be very pushy and smarmy, while others take "no" a little more easily.
Well, he did talk us into the extended warranty (mildly). The only time we tried to use it (for the towing), we were in the middle of no-where Utah with the nearest dealership 300+ miles away! So we drove another 400 miles to the dealer in Grand Junction, CO and they reset the "Check Engine" light for free (it was a known bug in the software and we had the software update at the next servicing).

But like I said, he was used to people knowing what they wanted and may have mentioned other things to sell us, but didn't push us.

Oh, and our salesman was Richard Nixon and he wasn't tricky at all!

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:20 am

Good luck with your new job! We have had two Subarus and we have been very happy with them.

My best advice is to learn to read your customer, or customers if they come in with a spouse or partner, and adjust your sales pitch and your style to match their style and their needs. Customers will usually "tell" you, by their style, questions, and body language, what level of sales pitch and information detail they want, or what level they are comfortable with.

Don't make the customer adapt to your style and your standard sales pitch - try to figure out their style and match your approach to them. You will get more sales if customers walk out of the dealership feeling that you match up perfectly with their idea of a perfect salesperson.

Some people want and need to be guided (external locus of control) - they may or may not ask a lot of questions, but ultimately they want you to tell them which cars you think are your dealership's best cars and which cars and options you think would be best for them. Other people want a low key sales pitch and will ask very focused questions to get the information they want (internal locus of control). They want candid, informative answers to the questions they ask. If they like your car, and your price is the best or close enough to the best price they can get, they will buy from you.

When I shop for cars I know what I want, which may include similar models from multiple manufacturers, and for each car I know the best price I can get from a more distant dealer. I am willing to pay more for a local dealer with a good service department, and if you ask me I will tell you how much more I am willing to pay.

maroon

Post by maroon » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:28 pm

I just remembered a good book that might be helpful to you: Selling Retail, by John Lawhon.

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:25 pm

multiham wrote:
Few pieces of advice:

Amen. This has happened to my DH and me for decades - we were recently test-driving for *my* next car, and the new Toyota salesguy kept talking to DH, even when it was clearly *I* who had done the research. And then he actually asked me what color I wanted to test drive. :twisted: :twisted: I'm sure it's because they want you to "fall in love" with the car, but I find it close to enraging. If I'm looking to spend $25k++ on a car, treat me with some sort of respect, please!

And another example: one sales guy (yes, at a Subaru dealer) told me that Dealer Cost was the same as MSRP. :annoyed :annoyed

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:18 pm

When it comes to sales the best advice is "the best sale was the one that was never done".
Also not only should you know your vehicles inside and out but also get to know your competition. That way when someone comes in with a trade in you can understand what they've been driving I have a better conversation with them.
Another habit I hate when I listen to salespeople is they like to put down the person's car that they're already driving. In fact you should make a person feel good about the car they previously bought and be able to explain why your car is a better idea for them.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

Topic Author
emanuel_v19

Post by emanuel_v19 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:23 pm

Yes,

Thank you all! I sold my first car with the help of my Internet Manager, and it was intense. A lot of tension, and back and forth with the customer. Hopefully, I can last long in this business. One thing is for sure though, I see a lot of lessons to be learned, and I feel that I will learn invaluable lessons throughout this venture that will be worthwhile for my future. Selling is super interesting!