Marriott data breach, what are you doing about it?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
sksbog

Marriott data breach, what are you doing about it?

Post by sksbog » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:27 pm

It's amazing how much these companies collect data about you nowadays.
They write, we respect your privacy in a page and followed by 5 pages of explanation on how they will sell our data :)

Recently, Marriott and Starwood chain had a data breach. Just got an email from them that they would provide free webwatcher enrollment for one year.

Is this enough?

What are the bogleheads doing about this?

jebmke

Re: Marriott data breach, what are you doing about it?

Post by jebmke » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:33 pm

I'm not sure putting your personal info in yet another database is such a great idea. What info would they have other than your credit card? You could have the CC company send you a new card. The one I use for hotels has an NCP alert on it so I'm not concerned. I am pretty sure I have not used SGP since the last card was issued anyway.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:58 pm

We have experienced more than one data breach recently, though not the current one experienced at Marriott.

We have our credit frozen, alerts on all credit cards via email for all purchases.

Not sure anything else would help other than having any credit card used at Marriott reissued.

Wife and I experience fraud on at least one of our cards about every year. We catch it quickly with email alerts.

You would definitely want to be vigilant in examining your credit card statements.

The freezes do work, as my request for increased credit line resulted in a refusal of a pull, though the credit card company went ahead and increased my credit line anyway. So, I have one data point to show the freeze worked.

I honestly believe this issue will not be resolved until the businesses who suffer the breaches are punished with heavy fines.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

bryansmile

Post by bryansmile » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:45 pm

If the breach includes your passport #, they'll reimburse you the cost for a new passport, I heard.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:09 am

I'm doing exactly nothing. My credit has been frozen for several years already and if someone gets my credit card number, I just call up the credit card company to have them issue another one. It wouldn't be the first time.

Just last week, my dad received a credit card bill with $25,000 worth of fraudulent charges mostly from a Walmart in Canada. Credit card company took care of the charges and overnighted a replacement card with a new number.

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:15 am

jebmke wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:33 pm
I'm not sure putting your personal info in yet another database is such a great idea. What info would they have other than your credit card? You could have the CC company send you a new card. The one I use for hotels has an NCP alert on it so I'm not concerned. I am pretty sure I have not used SGP since the last card was issued anyway.
Disagree. I put in my email and cell into webcatcher (which were breached numerous times anyway). And it showed me where these are on the dark web. The usual monitoring services don't show that - they just monitor if new credit is opened in my name (important for sure, but different). Webcatcher is unique that it allowed me to see websites like TicketFly where my data was part of a prior breach. I went in and deactivated my accounts at myriad websites listed who had breaches.
Humbling BH contest results: 2017: #516 of 647 | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:53 am

bryansmile wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:45 pm
If the breach includes your passport #, they'll reimburse you the cost for a new passport, I heard.
You may want to double-check that. Every source I can find says that they will reimburse you if you can prove that you are a victim of fraud related to the passport number.

E.g.,

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/h ... 224519002/
Marriott International will pay for customers' new passports if they can prove fraud following the company's large-scale data breach that affected as many as 500 million guests.

“As it relates to passports and potential fraud, we are setting up a process to work with our guests who believe that they have experienced fraud as a result of their passports being involved in this incident," Marriott told USA TODAY. "If, through that process, we determine that fraud has taken place, then the company will reimburse guests for the costs associated with getting a new passport."
Good luck proving that.

carguyny

Post by carguyny » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:26 pm

The only data in my profile is my physical address, email address (tier 2 website one that I will delete in a year or two for rotation) and cell phone.

My real emails (statements from banks etc) all go to an email that is never given out. I never put anything but the minimum required to open an account on any website.

I've stayed 66 nights at Marriott properties this year, I can still do mobile checkin, get free upgrades etc with them only having this data.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:41 pm

Nothing special to do beyond what I already do. Log into my checking, investment, and credit card accounts daily and post the transactions to my ledger, use annualcreditreport.com to get an update on me and my wife every two months (one report on each of us from each agency every years). Etc, etc.

Breaches like this will continue to happen. The only thing an individual can do is be continuously vigilant.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:49 pm

To be clear - my understanding is that the "Marriott" reservation systems wasn't breached - only the "Starwood" system. So info stored with legacy Marriott should not have been exposed.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:35 am

TravelGeek wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:53 am
bryansmile wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:45 pm
You may want to double-check that. Every source I can find says that they will reimburse you if you can prove that you are a victim of fraud related to the passport number.

E.g.,

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/h ... 224519002/
Marriott International will pay for customers' new passports if they can prove fraud following the company's large-scale data breach that affected as many as 500 million guests.

“As it relates to passports and potential fraud, we are setting up a process to work with our guests who believe that they have experienced fraud as a result of their passports being involved in this incident," Marriott told USA TODAY. "If, through that process, we determine that fraud has taken place, then the company will reimburse guests for the costs associated with getting a new passport."
Good luck proving that.
Hmm. So Marriott's view is that you're supposed to wait until fraud occurs, before taking any action?

As far as US passports go, however, they don't provide much information beyond your name & birthdate. But they're linked with other information like your address that Marriott has.

I actually think passports are a better form of ID to show people than a drivers license because they provide a lot less information about you, and since so many Americans don't have passports, many businesses don't have a database they can put your passport number into.

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:48 am

carguyny wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:26 pm
The only data in my profile is my physical address, email address (tier 2 website one that I will delete in a year or two for rotation) and cell phone.

My real emails (statements from banks etc) all go to an email that is never given out. I never put anything but the minimum required to open an account on any website.

I've stayed 66 nights at Marriott properties this year, I can still do mobile checkin, get free upgrades etc with them only having this data.
If any of your nights were abroad where you provided your passport - that data may have been breached as well.
Humbling BH contest results: 2017: #516 of 647 | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282