Fraudulent charges on Chase Credit Card -- Chase unresponsive

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
McCharley

Fraudulent charges on Chase Credit Card -- Chase unresponsive

Post by McCharley » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:47 pm

I have a Chase Ink credit card, and I was called by Chase about two months ago because there were two charges that appeared fraudulent to them. In fact,they were charges that I had not made, so Chase cancelled my card and issued a new one. In the meantime, these companies shipped me the items -- women's clothing that I definitely didn't order -- and I used the return slips to ship them back.

Lo and behold, on my next credit card bill, the two charges reappeared. I called Chase and they said that it was probably because the merchants argued that items had been shipped, and they would review the situation and get back to me within 10-15 business days. A month came and went and nothing happened, so I called again. This time I was told that I would be called back by the end of the day and given the person's extension number. They didn't call, so I called them twice, and it went to voicemail both times.

I called the main number and was given someone else's extension. I called and it went to voicemail. :annoyed

I am really getting frustrated, and I am sick of wasting time on this. How can I get someone at Chase to pay attention? It's about $120 in charges, although one of the companies refunded about $30.

Housedoc

Re: Fraudulent charges on Chase Credit Card -- Chase unresponsive

Post by Housedoc » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:58 pm

Twitter and Facebook. They hate public display of their crappy service

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:08 pm

Was it a business or consumer card? There are different rules for business cards.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:18 pm

Since this is an Ink card it is a business card and thus (as noted above) has different (generally less) protections than a personal card. Whether or not that impacts this situation I don't know. The one thing I have seen repeated multiple times is to always follow up a call on fraudulent charges with a written letter. Start creating a paper trail as soon as possible.

I or rather my ex when we were married had rather extensive fraudulent charges on a personal card and after calling in we followed up with a letter. Chase in that case did right by us with little intervention on our part.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:19 pm

Is a crazy ex a possibility? Was your account on some retailer website compromised? Perhaps a prank from some jerk at the office?

You are under no obligation to return items that are delivered to your home that you didn't order. I would have listed them on Facebook marketplace. It's a fee I collect on merchants for not having adequate security procedures and attempted theft of my time.

Cancelling/replacing the card will not protect you if the merchant successfully argues the dispute with the issuer. These things can become a real he said, Xi said. Letters good, phone calls bad.

McCharley

Post by McCharley » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:56 pm

Public shaming on Twitter or Facebook is a good idea, as is making a paper trail.

Since I have no following on Twitter or Facebook, I have resorted to customer service email threatening to drop their card unless they work this out. We'll see how that goes. :|

It just occurred to me that posting this here, and having you folks respond, is actually a bit of public shaming. :sharebeer

I'll update this with what happens...

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:13 am

McCharley wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:56 pm
Since I have no following on Twitter or Facebook, I have resorted to customer service email threatening to drop their card unless they work this out. We'll see how that goes. :|
Threats are seldom effective in customer service situations and are often counter-productive.

You would have been far better off with escalating this to management or other avenues.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:28 am

Watty wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:08 pm
Was it a business or consumer card? There are different rules for business cards.
Ink is a business card. I would formally dispute the charges, in writing or online if Chase supports that for business cards. Not sure how much the card holder rights are limited compared to consumer cards, but even if the law isn’t as strict for business cards, the banks are probably still interested in keeping cardholders happy and weed out fraudulent merchants (their next fraud will be with a consumer card). Threatening customer support with card closure isn’t going to help. They hear that a dozen times a day.

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:43 pm

McCharley wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:56 pm
Public shaming on Twitter or Facebook is a good idea, as is making a paper trail.

It just occurred to me that posting this here, and having you folks respond, is actually a bit of public shaming. :sharebeer

I'll update this with what happens...
You don't need a large following, when people look at company's page or feed your comments show up.
Can't tell you the number of times it has helped me. Over 20 I am sure.