Retirement itch- when did you get it?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Cleverusername

Post by Cleverusername » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:04 pm

Early 50’s and I must say I am really surprised by feeling so strongly about retiring much sooner than planned, even a few years ago.

Not sure if I’m ready financially as I feel I could live for a few more decades, but between some work disillusionment and seeing mortality for what it really is, I am getting the bug.

It made me wonder, when did a notion about early retirement in your head become an itch, or even an urge?

For me, I haven’t hit a number, but I feel life is trying to tell me something.

geno974

Re: Retirement itch- when did you get it?

Post by geno974 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:16 pm

Probably in my 50s.
My plan came together as well as changes in the corporate world, allowed me to pull the trigger at age 60.
Sometime I wish I could have a job again, but that wish disappears after my first cup of coffee.
Run the numbers, make a plan, test the plan and you will know when it's time.
G

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:26 pm

Not sure if I’m ready financially as I feel I could live for a few more decades, but between some work disillusionment and seeing mortality for what it really is, I am getting the bug.
I could have written that myself. I think when I turned 54, I started thinking “oh, I’m turning 55 next January (2019). I qualify for early retirement”. As that date closes in, the feeling just gets stronger. Financially, I should really work another 5 years but I could probably make it work if I retired now.

maineminder

Post by maineminder » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:39 pm

55, but I haven't retired yet. Forced to change jobs and after 2 years of a job I hated I was about to pull the trigger, just short of my number. Stumbled into a new position which I liked so I hung in there. That lasted only a year but I got moved to a new position that I can tolerate.

I'm going to go part time and probably last two more years. I'm in a technical field so these job changes are brutal at my age and I really don't want to switch companies for the same reason. Too much effort.

joeblow

Post by joeblow » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:46 pm

Age 40. Made changes to speed the process along. Now it hits me every morning about 7:00 am. Plan to be out sometime between 50 and 55.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:47 pm

There was one year in my early 50s when I went to three funerals of people that were about my age.

I was not real close with any of them but it does get you thinking, especially if both your and your spouse have had health scares.

I retired when I was 58.

davegreen10

Post by davegreen10 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:56 pm

I am at the same stage. I'm 52 and the time is becoming increasingly more important than the money. But we are only 75% to our number (1.2m vs 1.6m) My job pays well so we should get there in about four years. But I am definitely a little burned out. Psychologically, it was easier when the time was further away.

For now the next goal is to hunker down 2.5 more years until I'm 55 and can withdraw from the 401k on separation with no penalty. We will reassess then. Breaking it into smaller time goals will hopefully help. :beer

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:02 pm

Mid manager climbing the rungs on the ladder, bigger auto dealer in 2005, then the crunch hit, saw the change coming, moved to a lesser role at a stable dealer, I thought, after all they had been in biz 111 years, plus I cut my expenses by moving back with the DW instead of being out of town at a higher paying job with double expenses. They were big and strong, but still made cuts due to the bottom dropping out of sales, in Oct 2008, they said, we don't need you. Called back in a lesser role July 2009, other employees health failed and made an opening at least 3-6 months earlier than I would have been recalled in my better position. The key to my retirement was at some point when your working income drops so much that taxes and other deductions & expenses make working less favorable than retiring, you just decide to stay home. Especially when you had suffered unemployment for 9 months you decide to kill the debt. One parent lived to 99, the other passed at 70, so at 62, I said good bye to my co-workers. The fact you stop paying most taxes and all social security and medicare deductions, (Over 7 %) turning the flow of money in reverse is a major way to lean up your monthly budget, plus I was putting away 10% 401K and they only matched 3% on your 6% going in up to $600 total match dollars for the year helped with the decision, so as soon as I was vested in all of their matching after 6 years, I left a week later, why drive to work in rush hour traffic, seeing a wreck every day for $347 more a month than I could make staying home. That is a $1.60 per hour to go to work over SSA, not counting a small pension that would be kicking two years later. My boss said gee I hate to see all that experience and knowledge walk out the door. I smiled and said, good luck. No sour grapes, they had treated me good considering the economic swamp being full of gators. The itch, that happened Nov 1st 2008.

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:09 pm

Watty wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:47 pm
There was one year in my early 50s when I went to three funerals of people that were about my age.

I was not real close with any of them but it does get you thinking, especially if both your and your spouse have had health scares.

I retired when I was 58.
this happened in my world too, sad to say, and was not gonna mention it, but DW had a cousin on her Mom's side pass shortly after that one on her Dad's side died, then one of my children's friends died. Funerals in July, August and September 2015. I does get you thinking, and planning.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:13 pm

When I was 52 I happened to be checking out my 401k site (at Fidelity) and saw a startling personalized message. It gave the date I would be eligible for retirement based on the "Rule of 75" (age and time with company add up to 75). Until that moment I had never really thought about when I might retire, I'd just been diligently saving and investing. But seeing an actual date really sparked my thinking. Retirement was real!

The date was 8 years out. I started calculating if it would be possible to quit the high-pressure world of high tech at 60 and find a subsistance job that would enable me to earn living expenses and let my retirement funds grow. Eventually I realized that finding healthcare coverage could be a real problem. I had long been predicting that anything resembling universal healthcare would not appear until I was Medicare eligible***. So I stopped thinking about retiring at 60 and planned to try to stay at the company until at least 66 -- and had taken my 3rd and final sabbatical.

The 8 years passed and I was lucky to stay employed. It turned out to be a good move. Otherwise I would have been leaving a high-paying job and looking for new work in 2008! I retired in 2014.

***Obamacare Marketplace opened literally the month I became eligible for Medicare.

zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:14 pm

When I was 27.

Work had been causing me a ton of stress and painful headaches for months. I finally decided I wanted out ASAP, and needed to figure out how to do that.

I started googling for retirement, and that was what led me here.

I'm still working and things have gotten a little better but I still hope to be done by 45, unless something changes between now and then.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:19 pm

I got the itch in 2010 when things started to go haywire at the office. In 2012 I knew I couldn't last another full year, so I told my boss I would be gone by summer of 2013, and I walked out the door after a 40 year career.
Last edited by UpperNwGuy on Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:19 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (retirement planning).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:21 pm

When my kids were young, we made a list of all the places that we wanted to visit. I realized there was a lot to see. I've had the itch pretty much ever since then. 45 now. Hope to retire at 50 when pension becomes available. Depends on DW's 401k, 457, etc. Won't be rich by any stretch of the imagination but should be able to do some budget travel and pay the bills.
Last edited by fortfun on Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:23 pm

I've wanted nothing but to retire since I was in college. The goal is to retire 18 years after my college graduation.

IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:28 pm

I've gotten it bad recently. I've planned to retire somewhere between 62 -65. I turned 60 last summer so the time is getting close. We're going through a painful re-org at work, I've realized financially can retire at 62 and won't gain that much by waiting longer, and I'm finding some new volunteer activities that I am getting excited about.

I've got some things I am excited about for the future, realize I can afford it, am somewhat ready to get out of where I am and can see it from here so I'm getting the itch bad but I need to wait till 62 because of pension provisions.

corn18

Post by corn18 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:33 pm

Got it this year @ 52. Talked to my wife and we decided 2021 was the year. 55 gives me access to my 401k.

jimmyq

Post by jimmyq » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:42 pm

Always been thinking about retiring early, but for me, a significant moment of disillusionment hit at age 51 with another layoff that wiped out 1/2 my team. That was 3 months ago. Maybe I'll get over it and find some purpose in my job, but if not I'll need to either seek another job I enjoy or else cut the purse strings and retire early. Not sure which way the wind is blowing yet, but we'll see.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:51 pm

50's
The decades fly by
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

warner25

Post by warner25 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:59 pm

I think I joined the early-retirement.org forum at age 23, partially because I did the math and saw how it might be possible, and partially because I already knew I would prefer playing golf everyday.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:07 pm

In the early days of my career, dealing with long weeks and little vacation, I thought about retirement somewhat, and mentally stuck a "I'd like to retire by age 55" signpost in my mind. I didn't make any specific plans for it though, and it largely faded from my mind as the work got better and family matters occupied me.

Around late 40's, it picked up again with a high-stress job. I took a look, and decided that we could probably retire with a LCOL lifestyle, but it would be tighter that I would like. Instead, I quit the job and took a few months off, then picked my new job based on the best work environment, not the highest pay or career potential. This worked out, and I kept working well beyond the "made my number" point. Eventually in my late 50's, the commute and various minor annoyances pushed me over into retiring, but it was a very relaxed choice, and I could have kept working without too much regret.

Retired two years now, and the decision still falls into that balance; lots more freedom to do the traveling we enjoy, no commute or corporate hassles, but also lacking the sometimes intense mental stimulation I would get from my job (on good days).

retiredflyboy

Post by retiredflyboy » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:12 pm

For those counting on access to 401k at 55, if you have not already, check with HR department or plan custodian to verify your plan withdraw options. The DW only had option at 55 with seperation to withdraw entire amount, roll to IRA, or leave it at previous employer. Federal law allows penalty free access to plan at 55 with seperation, but your actual plan rules will govern withdraw options. Best of luck to all!
Facts are stubborn things. Everything works until it doesn’t.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:28 pm

When I was 35, I had the realization that my wife was 17 years older than I was, and the implications of that as we got older. Shortly after that, my boss, who was in his mid-50’s at the time, had a major stoke, and wasn’t able to work anymore. My goal became to retire as soon after my wife as possiblesp that we could spend time together when we were young enough to enjoy it, and upped our savings level. Wife retired when I was 49. A few weeks later, a good friend, who was in her mid-50’s at the time, had a major stroke, and wasn’t able to work anymore. Seeing a theme, I started making concrete plans to get out.

I left at 52. No regrets.

Case59

Post by Case59 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:34 pm

It really hit me in my late 50's. I had several friends and colleagues die suddenly, all in good shape, moderate habits, etc. I liked my job and the people I worked with, but, man, I didn't want to die in the office. If I was going to die young, I wanted it to be on a hiking trail in Crete or somesuch. So I retired on my 60th birthday, six years ago, and it's all been great since.

And I have hiked in Crete now, and am happy to say didn't die.
"Most quotations on the internet are incorrect."-Mark Twain

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:58 pm

After I found Bogleheads forum, I realized I could retire early. The kindness of people who reviewed my finances really clarified my position. Unhappy in my job I retired earlier this year. Am 61. Joined about 2 yrs ago.

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:02 pm

Cleverusername wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:04 pm
Early 50’s and I must say I am really surprised by feeling so strongly about retiring much sooner than planned, even a few years ago.

It made me wonder, when did a notion about early retirement in your head become an itch, or even an urge?

For me, I haven’t hit a number, but I feel life is trying to tell me something.
I started getting it at 38.
"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than with just a kind word." George Washington

telecaster

Post by telecaster » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:19 pm

I got it at 40. Started a family late and really hunkered down on reducing costs and saving a ton of our income. Plan is now to be out at or before 50, and to spend some real time with my family and friends while everyone is still around and healthy. I do plan to continue earning afterwards but through my passions and side hustles that are for fun and extra investing money right now.

fourwaystreet

Post by fourwaystreet » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:26 pm

The company I worked for got gobbled up four times in a 12 year period. I always managed to hang when many didn't and for some reason gained responsibility and income. I was out due to knee replacement surgery at 57 years old, which gave me plenty of time to think and run numbers. I gave two months notice right after my 59th birthday. My only regret is that I didn't retire at 58.

Best of luck with your plan

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:57 pm

Early 60s but I hung on until my late 60s. Job was interesting and I could mostly call my own shots, but it became increasingly stressful.

I departed at 68 and was ready (and happy) to go. It’s been two years now and that I made the right choice is increasingly apparent. I spent a long time planning my retirement and it paid off.

deanmoriarty

Post by deanmoriarty » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:07 am

Probably an anomaly, but financial freedom and the thought of being in control of my entire time started at around 25, became pretty quickly disillusioned with corporate America and the idea of selling my time for money. I’m 32 now, and my career is going very well (mid 6 figures salary and growing), but I am very aggressively saving for the day I’ll be able to pull the plug (recently joined the 7 figures net worth club), while living a frugal lifestyle so I don’t fall prey to hedonistic adaptation.

If nothing goes wrong and I also get particularly lucky with some former employer stocks I still own waiting for liquidity, I might be able to do it in my late 30s / early 40s, and pursue some “very lightweight” entrepreneurship (online business) from the cheap mediterranean Europe as a hobby and potentially manage some real estate on the side for some predictable income, and generally spend a vast portion of my time traveling in Asia, reading a massive amount of books and volunteering.

SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:54 am

I can blame it on Tim Urban at Wait But Why.

A practicing physician for ten years and then a physician executive for more than 20 years, I knew I was in my last role when I accepted the job as CEO of a large multi specialty group in financial and cultural trouble. Hardest thing I’ve ever done, by far, but we succeeded in a turnaround both in bottom line and in the group’s culture (harder but more important). But retirement? Hadn’t thought much about it. Until...

During the dark days, by chance I saw the Life Calendar on WaitButWhy. I encourage you to go look for yourself. It showed me, starkly, that 2/3rds of my life was likely gone. And financially, my wife and I were secure. After soul searching, I wasn’t going to be one of those guys who on my deathbed regretted working too long. I decided I wanted to spend my last healthy years doing lots of things other than going to work.

At age 62, after lengthy discussions with the board and with the turnaround complete and the group in good successor hands, I retired.

If you’ve had a satisfying career and perhaps made your mark, don’t be afraid to walk away and start the next phase of your life. It will be OK. Work is an important phase of life, but it’s just a phase. You will be good at the next phase. No regrets.

Thanks Tim!
There are stars in the Southern sky | And if ever you decide you should go | There is a taste of time sweetened honey | Down the Seven Bridges Road

SQRT

Post by SQRT » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:16 am

Early 50’s around the time I reached FI. I brought the subject up with my wife and she thought I was crazy. She came around though and I retired at 56.

CarpeDiem22

Post by CarpeDiem22 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:38 am

SevenBridgesRoad wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:54 am
I can blame it on Tim Urban at Wait But Why.
I remember reading that years ago. Being comparatively younger, 31 currently, I realised how much little time my parents were going to spend with me, and how few books really I would read in my lifetime.

https://waitbutwhy.com/2015/12/the-tail-end.html

stickman731

Post by stickman731 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:54 am

I am a goal oriented person so at 50 I set of goal of retiring at 59 1/2 (401K age). I began educating myself and set up a countdown clock on my phone, work laptop and home desktop. Everyone in work knew about the countdown clock and would occasionally ask about it.

I loved my job really enjoying the people, work and customers; however at 52, we got acquired and I really did not like the management or the people of the new company (basically liars and all focused on themselves and not the company). Prior to the acquisition, it was privately held and people worked for the success of the company. You worked hard but your success was rewarded. Then I decided to accelerate my countdown. After three years without a raise or bonus, they offered a voluntary severance package - THANK YOU I was out the door at 55. :D :sharebeer

cinghiale

Post by cinghiale » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:25 am

A sabbatical year provided a nice “test drive” of retirement, and tipped the first domino toward wanting to retire. I was 49. It took just over ten years to feel good about our savings-to-spending equation, lock in health benefits through the state system, and be emotionally-mentally-socially ready for the hard stop. I retired at 60, and there’s nary a day that goes by (now three years along) that I don’t breathe a word of thanks for the freedom and absence of work-related stress in my life.
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:06 am

At age 54, a coworker of the same age announced his planned retirement and then suffered a massive stroke before retiring. I decided that there was no point in piling on wealth just to leave it to the government or others. Also, the company was failing due to bad decisions. I left just before my 55th birthday, front loaded my pension payouts in case they got turned over to PBGC. I had a wild ride through the 2008-09 period, and made some bad decisions in not fully holding my positions. Nevertheless we are still in a good position.

Chip

Post by Chip » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:01 am

We started thinking about it at age 30, back in the 80s. We were both having so much fun when we weren't working vs. when we were that it seemed like a fine idea. I created a plan to have enough money to pull the plug 8 years in the future. That plan was wildly optimistic. :D

We eventually retired 10 years later than that initial plan, but still under age 50. In the meantime I'd studied Bengen's SWR work and had a much more realistic view of market returns. The kicker was an early retirement package for DW that included retention of stock options plus retiree health care. Similar packages had been offered by her Megacorp in the past but she didn't qualify for them. When she qualified for the next offer we pulled the trigger immediately due to the prior planning we'd done.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:05 am

Around 55, I started to want to travel more on my terms, get back into hobbies and realized I was getting close to having all the ducks in a row, but then the crash occurred. Luckily, unlike many, I was in a stable position and just continued working with good compensation and benefits. Then two years later they offered a buyout package to senior employees, I crunched the numbers and it was a no brainer and said , I'm outta here! Here I am 8 years later, healthy (thankfully) and loving every minute of it!

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:07 am

joeblow wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:46 pm
Age 40. Made changes to speed the process along. Now it hits me every morning about 7:00 am. Plan to be out sometime between 50 and 55.
This is me. And at 45 I’m not sure 50 is soon enough

midareff

Post by midareff » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:03 am

@ 57... the countdown clock started then.

truenorth418

Post by truenorth418 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:20 am

I knew I wanted to retire early beginning at the age of 21, when I was in college.

I saw a movie, "Lost in America", about a yuppie couple that "cashed out" to travel the country in an RV.

I remember thinking to myself at the time, "Hmm, that's an interesting concept, work really hard for 10 or 20 years, save as much money as possible, and then live off the interest, or whatever".

In the years that followed, this concept remained at the back of my mind. And my actual path to financial independence took some twists and turns, but it really picked up speed after reading "The Millionaire Next Door" in the late '90s. I ended up retiring in 2011 at age 47.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:23 am

I got the itch at age 57 due to corporate restructuring, scratched the itch at age 61. I refused to work at a job I didn't enjoy anymore. Flipped a coin heads- job seek, tails- retire. Tails it was! Actually my wife's health declined and I retired to spend more time with her.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

shell921

Post by shell921 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:42 am

I was 46 when my husband -who was 9 years older- retired at age 55. I began thinking about it then.
When I turned 50 the "itch" got more intense. I realized I was not going to
have another 50 years to live and probably needed to make the most of my remaining time.
I taught elem school and I did retire when I turned 55 in 2003. No regrets.
I lost my beloved husband of 39 years in 2014. We were able to have 11 years together both of us retired before he passed
from a sudden brief illness. Life can change so quickly and we never know. I take comfort
knowing my husband had 20 years retired before he passed at age 75. He was a lifelong musician
by hobby and the last 20 years of his life he was able to pursue this passion! Life is short people-and
none of us are here permanently !! Enjoy your LIFE while you still CAN!

moehoward

Post by moehoward » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:44 am

I think I got the itch from two directions. In my late fifties, I occasionally would hear about friends and aquaintances getting the "diagnosis". The second, was corporate BS. After a while, its the same speeches every year.

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:58 am

IowaFarmBoy wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:28 pm
I've gotten it bad recently. I've planned to retire somewhere between 62 -65. I turned 60 last summer so the time is getting close. We're going through a painful re-org at work, I've realized financially can retire at 62 and won't gain that much by waiting longer, and I'm finding some new volunteer activities that I am getting excited about.

I've got some things I am excited about for the future, realize I can afford it, am somewhat ready to get out of where I am and can see it from here so I'm getting the itch bad but I need to wait till 62 because of pension provisions.
This sounds like my progression as well. I was always very dedicated to my career and derived an enormous amount of satisfaction and self-worth from my work. But a few years ago a new boss came in and although my formal job title and salary are unchanged, my role as a trusted senior level insider/advisor suddenly ended. The loss of being that insider was something I struggled with mightily for a long time, while meanwhile my husband suggested buying a vacation home that once purchased quickly became a 'life here is paradise, when can we retire here' home. Then I turned 60 and our finances and resources for a post-retirement life started to come into focus with the knowledge that in fact, either or both of us can leave at any time. On Friday my husband submitted his retirement notice effective December 31st so starting New Year's Day he will indeed be able to be on vacation every day!

As others have wisely pointed out, there comes a time when for many the rewards and challenges of professional life become less rewarding and the challenges become less meaningful to overcome. What used to energize me now just feels like yet another request to do something for someone that once done will just slip into the past, only to need to be done again. At the same time the cycle of life once turning 60 seems more clear, and the question of how do I want to spend time that isn't unlimited becomes more urgent.

Just this morning after reading this topic I thought of a date that makes sense as my retirement deadline. I'll turn it over a bit, but it feels right and I think the itch will be fully scratched on September 1st, 2019 which is the day after my 62nd birthday :)

Ron

Post by Ron » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:13 am

When my job BS bucket overflowed, at the age of 59.

That was over 11 years ago, and have yet to have any regret of my decision to do so even though my original plan was to go at age 66 (my SS FRA).

- Ron

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:17 am

I was 52 when i found BH’s & Early Retirement forums

Read & studied up

Now 59 and plan to go to pasture end of 2019

Very appreciative of all the good advice

prairieman

Post by prairieman » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:46 am

For me it happened suddenly at age 55 during an employee meeting where managers were trying to assess work climate. The question was asked, “Who in this room thinks it is possible that they will retire in the next five years?” Somehow, my hand went up. Yes, it was possible, I thought and maybe it would put pressure on the managers to improve the work climate for our group.

Three years later, the work climate declined due to a horrible supervisor and we were ending a major three year project period. I could leave with a clear conscience and announced. They tried to keep me with a generous offer, including promoting me to avoid the bad supervisor. It was far too late.

retiresoon222

Post by retiresoon222 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:14 pm

I got it when my sister was diagnosed (FOR THE SECOND TIME) with Cancer. Then an ex-colleague died suddenly. Then an old friend (not that old 46 or so) just got diagnosed with a brain tumor.

I think all these things keep me thinking that I need to live each day like there is no tomorrow. In that theme, I do not want to work longer than I NEED to.

So now it's a balance of planning for healthcare and managing cost of living and other fixed expenses so that we can RE.

In summary, I HAVE THE ITCH. Now I need to execute on our plan.

ReadyToRetire

Post by ReadyToRetire » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:25 pm

I had always had the plan to retire from a regular job and do something on my own by 55. When I was 44, my wife was hit with a very serious illness that caused nearly a month of hospitalization. Fortunately she fully recovered but during the time we spent in her room alone just talking, we re-formulated our plan for as early an exit as possible. Health scares do tend to show you what is important in life. My wife pulled the trigger a few weeks ago and has been enjoying her retirement so far. I announced to the CEO my plans to leave and we agreed that I would stick around through the 1st quarter until he could bring a replacement on board. So 55 became 50. And our plans for next year sure look like fun!

I do agree with other posters on questions similar to this. Formulate a plan, test the plan and then take the leap of faith. You will know when you are ready.

All the best