Fidelity atm/debit card - can’t handle multiple accounts?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
JohnSmith123

Fidelity atm/debit card - can’t handle multiple accounts?

Post by JohnSmith123 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:22 am

Opened 2 checking accounts with fidelity, same name everything —- and they send me 2 different atm cards.
I ask if I could have 1 card access both accounts — they say it is not possible?

Is this correct? I have never heard of any bank that can not handle a single card with multiple accounts?

Spirit Rider

Re: Fidelity atm/debit card - can’t handle multiple accounts?

Post by Spirit Rider » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:49 am

Fidelity is not a bank. They do not really have checking or savings accounts. Their Cash Management Account is in fact a brokerage account with certain banking features provided by third party banks. The core account is a sweep account that is swept daily from/to one - five FDIC banks. So it is not surprising that you can not link two brokerage accounts to a single ATM card.
Last edited by Spirit Rider on Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:49 am

They probably want to eliminate any possibility of your regular debit card withdrawing money from your HSA for regular purchases.

tfb

Post by tfb » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:34 am

JohnSmith123 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:22 am
I have never heard of any bank that can not handle a single card with multiple accounts?
I have never heard of any single card that can access multiple [checking] accounts. When you use the card to buy something, which account does the money come out of? At the ATM you can choose checking or saving but never checking1 or checking2.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

Generator515

Post by Generator515 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:01 am

JohnSmith123 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:22 am
Opened 2 checking accounts with fidelity, same name everything —- and they send me 2 different atm cards.
I ask if I could have 1 card access both accounts — they say it is not possible?

Is this correct? I have never heard of any bank that can not handle a single card with multiple accounts?
I made the same inquiry the other week and was told the same thing. Multiple people can have an ATM to the same account but can not have multiple accounts on the same card. Really is unfortunate

euroswiss

Post by euroswiss » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:35 am

I’m not sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish. Maybe you can elaborate?
On its face, it seems you are asking for something impossible. If you have one card serving checking 1 and checking 2 and you make a debit purchase (most bank cards are debit cards these days), say, pump $10 dollars worth of gas: how is the bank supposed to know which account you want the $10 deducted from.
Again, maybe it helps if you tell us what you are trying to achieve. Are you just trying to minimize the number of cards you have to carry? Or is there a deeper purpose?

Topic Author
JohnSmith123

Post by JohnSmith123 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:45 am

Pretty easy at what I am trying to accomplish.
I have multiple checking accounts with fidelity. One for everyday usage. One for my rental property income and expenses. One for my actual investments.

Like any other bank (I also have Wells Fargo), i can See all my accounts when I go to the atm to either deposit or withdraw money.

If I use it as a debit card, the one designated checking is defaulted as the place it comes from.

So it is a real pain to have 3 cards, instead of one.

euroswiss wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:35 am
I’m not sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish. Maybe you can elaborate?
On its face, it seems you are asking for something impossible. If you have one card serving checking 1 and checking 2 and you make a debit purchase (most bank cards are debit cards these days), say, pump $10 dollars worth of gas: how is the bank supposed to know which account you want the $10 deducted from.
Again, maybe it helps if you tell us what you are trying to achieve. Are you just trying to minimize the number of cards you have to carry? Or is there a deeper purpose?

euroswiss

Post by euroswiss » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:57 am

Ok thanks. Sounds like you’d be ok with accessing ONE account (the default) but want to be able to “see” the status other accounts at ATM by using the same card.
I solve this problem by using online banking on my smartphone in conjunction with one card. I can look at all my accounts online anytime and make instant transfer from one account to the other. I then use my ATM card to make the actual withdrawal from the one account.
Of course, this doesn’t work if you don’t have smartphone access to the internet or don’t WANT to conduct online banking business.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:10 am

tfb wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:34 am
I have never heard of any single card that can access multiple [checking] accounts. When you use the card to buy something, which account does the money come out of? At the ATM you can choose checking or saving but never checking1 or checking2.
My TD Bank debit card is linked to two checking accounts. Their ATMs ask me which account I want to withdraw from. I seldom use non-TD ATMs, but the few that I've used over the years have not given me a choice. They've always defaulted to the first account shown on the TD ATMs.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

tfb

Post by tfb » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:36 pm

JohnSmith123 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:45 am
Like any other bank (I also have Wells Fargo), i can See all my accounts when I go to the atm to either deposit or withdraw money.
Their own bank's ATM may show you additional checking accounts but remember when you use a Fidelity debit card you are not going to any Fidelity ATMs. You are always using someone else's ATM. If you go to someone else's ATM with your Wells Fargo debit card, you can't see a second checking account there either.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.