Expensive car accident | Watching our for insurance

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
PlayingLife

Expensive car accident | Watching our for insurance

Post by PlayingLife » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:09 pm

Hi BH's,

My mother was in a car accident with her brand new Camry, where she luckily was not injured, but damages are estimated at 75% of the vehicle. Liberty Mutual has sent an adjuster who personally met with the auto center doing the repairs. My mother is now awaiting feedback from the adjuster and I'm afraid she's really going to get ripped off in the deal.

The accident is a cut and dry situation - a deer hit her while she was following traffic laws. Airbags deployed, door was severely damaged, and the repairs are estimated at 55 hours. Other than the link below I have not dealt with these sort of things and am wondering if there is specific/general advice we should follow.

One specific question I have - do I have to worry about the mechanic not using manufacturer recommended parts in lieu of cheaper parts, a) to better themselves, and/or b) to appease the adjuster? I want to get on the phone and get written confirmation before they do work that they will list in writing the source of the parts they will purchase.

Thanks for any advice...again I have little experience here and appreciate the help.

https://accident-law.freeadvice.com/acc ... usters.htm

Gill

Re: Expensive car accident | Watching our for insurance

Post by Gill » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:42 pm

I would push to have the vehicle declared totaled with damage that extensive.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:44 am

Gill wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:42 pm
I would push to have the vehicle declared totaled with damage that extensive.
Gill
+1 I would be shocked if any insurance carrier allow you to fix damages for 75% of the value. They will total it for sure.

I remember when I was in my 20s, my brand new Acura got hit head on. Damage ran 40% of the value and they almost totaled that. It also was in the shop for nearly a month, so I'd bet your 55 hour time estimate is low.

Boats day

Post by Boats day » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:47 am

Plus 2 on previous comments. The insurance company will TOTAL the vehicle

Boat

Scrapr

Post by Scrapr » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:01 am

We have Liberty Mutual for our Business truck insurance. They have been very good to us. No sign of any shortcuts being taken. I agree that they will almost certainly total the car. The issue that might arise on a new car that is on a loan is the payout is less than the loan value. And if no loan then the payout is less than she would need to purchase an equivalent car

Our boy totaled a Honda Accord. We were very happy with the payout from Liberty Mutual. No shenanigans with an initial low ball offer

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:28 am

The collision center will use whatever parts the insurance company authorizes. What does your mother's insurance policy say about the use of OEM parts in these circumstances? I wouldn't count on the car being totaled.

masonstone

Post by masonstone » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:23 am

PlayingLife wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:09 pm
Hi BH's,

My mother was in a car accident with her brand new Camry, where she luckily was not injured, but damages are estimated at 75% of the vehicle. Liberty Mutual has sent an adjuster who personally met with the auto center doing the repairs. My mother is now awaiting feedback from the adjuster and I'm afraid she's really going to get ripped off in the deal.

The accident is a cut and dry situation - a deer hit her while she was following traffic laws. Airbags deployed, door was severely damaged, and the repairs are estimated at 55 hours. Other than the link below I have not dealt with these sort of things and am wondering if there is specific/general advice we should follow.

One specific question I have - do I have to worry about the mechanic not using manufacturer recommended parts in lieu of cheaper parts, a) to better themselves, and/or b) to appease the adjuster? I want to get on the phone and get written confirmation before they do work that they will list in writing the source of the parts they will purchase.

Thanks for any advice...again I have little experience here and appreciate the help.

https://accident-law.freeadvice.com/acc ... usters.htm

Do you mean she hit a deer? I can’t imagine a dear going fast enough to cause that much damage!

user5027

Post by user5027 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:37 am

masonstone wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:23 am
Do you mean she hit a deer? I can’t imagine a dear going fast enough to cause that much damage!
I've had 3 deer hits - all the deer ran into the side or fender. One was totaled. It was to be repaired, mechanic saw more damage after starting and pushed it over the line to totaled.

sport

Post by sport » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:45 am

Rupert wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:28 am
The collision center will use whatever parts the insurance company authorizes.
This is true only if the shop is honest. I can remember two instances over the years when dealer body shops did not use the OEM parts promised and paid for. These were both instances where my car was hit by another vehicle and their liability insurance was footing the bill.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:58 am

sport wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:45 am
Rupert wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:28 am
The collision center will use whatever parts the insurance company authorizes.
This is true only if the shop is honest. I can remember two instances over the years when dealer body shops did not use the OEM parts promised and paid for. These were both instances where my car was hit by another vehicle and their liability insurance was footing the bill.
This is true. Fraud is rampant in the industry. Unfortunately, it's often difficult to near impossible for an average person to ascertain whether OEM parts were used, and many insurance companies won't pay for OEM parts anyway, including many of the biggest insurance companies (I'm looking at you, USAA, with whom I had a fairly negative experience recently).

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:21 am

masonstone wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:23 am
[...]
True incident. Which of the following is more plausible to you? :oops:

"Two decades ago, as I drove on the left lane of I-5, I hit a deer out for a stroll."
OR
"Two decades ago, as I drove on the left lane of I-5, a deer jumped on my car."

masonstone

Post by masonstone » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:51 am

Either way it was you hitting the deer.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:23 am

The poor animal is always at fault in these types of accidents. When we hit a deer and totaled our car (lower value than a new Camry), our insurance agent said it would not affect our rates as it is not considered an at fault event.

Many states have a set threshold for when a car must be considered totaled. 75% is very common:

https://www.carinsurance.com/Articles/t ... holds.aspx

btenny

Post by btenny » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:23 pm

Also beware that in some states the title my say "restored" or "salvage" or similar word since the air bags deployed and it was severely damaged. So the car will have permanent depreciation of value even if it is repaired.

https://www.thoughtco.com/how-to-unders ... es-3308457

Topic Author
PlayingLife

Post by PlayingLife » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:25 pm

Scrapr wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:01 am
We have Liberty Mutual for our Business truck insurance. They have been very good to us. No sign of any shortcuts being taken. I agree that they will almost certainly total the car. The issue that might arise on a new car that is on a loan is the payout is less than the loan value. And if no loan then the payout is less than she would need to purchase an equivalent car

Our boy totaled a Honda Accord. We were very happy with the payout from Liberty Mutual. No shenanigans with an initial low ball offer
I just wanted to address the facts and not complain in my original post, but this is likely quite a disaster. They just had to drain significant funds for a new septic and new roof and the car was $26K newly purchased in May. The adjuster first mentioned 75% value of the car was about $14K.

No loan exists but now I could see a totalled payout being much less than what's needed for the vehicle she is losing. I have a call in with the mechanic to check the status on their end and am calling the adjuster now. Thank you for the relative comments.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:14 pm

If they total it, they have to reimburse you for the full value of the car, not 75% of the value. Do some research of your own on current model year used Camrys and make a counter offer. You should be able to replace the car with the insurance payout. Don’t settle for less.

suemarkp

Post by suemarkp » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:11 pm

Yes, but it still sucks when you just bought a new car. When you drive it off the lot it depreciates a lot. So she should get 100% fair market value, but if it was financed, the fair market value may not even pay off the loan. This was the absolute worst time to get a car totaled. Having you determine the fair market value and what the insurance things it is can be a problem to reconcile. If you convince them to increase the fair market value to what it should be, that raises the threshold for where a "total" occurs. I would not want a new car fixed that had a repair cost of 70% fair market value. They are never the same after being hit.
Mark | Kent, WA