H&R Block Deluxs 2018 doesn't include Schedule D?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
IowaFarmBoy

H&R Block Deluxs 2018 doesn't include Schedule D?

Post by IowaFarmBoy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:25 am

I've used H&R Block software for several years. Last year I purchased the Deluxe version and it included Schedule D for capital gains. From what I see this year, it looks like I will need to buy the Premium version to get a Schedule D. Can anyone confirm this or correct me?

walmart.com had a pretty good price earlier in the week but I missed it because I wasn't sure which version to buy.

edited to add Deluxe to the title
Last edited by IowaFarmBoy on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Silk McCue

Re: H&R Block 2018 doesn't include Schedule D?

Post by Silk McCue » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 am

The website side by side functionality display shows that Premium is required for Schedule D. I also pulled up a PDF listing all forms available in Deluxe and Schedule D is not listed.

Seems to me it's more Mediocre than Deluxe.

Cheers

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:56 am

from the product description on their web site
Investment Income Reporting

We’ll guide you through your sale of stocks, bonds and mutual funds, and help report income from your retirement plan and rollovers, payments from your IRAs, 401(k)s and more. (Schedule D)
https://www.hrblock.com/tax-software/de ... -software/
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:22 am

Their website lists schedule D under deluxe for 2018, and the full list of supported forms is not yet available

IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:31 am

op here.
Thanks silk and jeb. That is the problem- the really explicit sections that silk found indicate I need Premium this year. But jeb's link shows Schedule D mentioned for Deluxe but it feels like they may have forgotten to update a webpage.

I've posted a question to them via Facebook. I'll post back if/when I hear something.
Last edited by IowaFarmBoy on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:36 am

IowaFarmBoy wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:31 am
op here.
Thanks silk and jeb. That is the problem- the really explicit sections that silk found indicate I need Premium this year. But jeb's link shows Schedule D mentioned for Deluxe but it feels like they may have forgotten to update a webpad.

I've posted a question to them via Facebook. I'll post back if/when I hear something.
It is clear that H&R Blocks website is as clear as mud.

It will be interesting to get your feedback on what they say.

Cheers

IowaFarmBoy

Re: H&R Block Deluxs 2018 doesn't include Schedule D?

Post by IowaFarmBoy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:40 am

op here
I may have just found the answer on their website. At least it might explain the conflicting info. They offer both online and downloadable options. The online appears to not include the Schedule D.
https://www.hrblock.com/online-tax-filing/
The downloadable version appears to include it. I have always bought the downloadable versions.
https://www.hrblock.com/tax-software/

I'll post back if I hear from them

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:41 am

The Mac application version I downloaded a couple of days ago includes Schedule D in "deluxe." I would hope they have parity across platforms with regard to what is in "deluxe." If not, shame on them. This is the exact version:

The Schedule D is listed and it's really there, but I notice that everything says "final expected 1/16/2019"

I think it goes without saying that due to the huge... changes... in the tax code, and the haste with which they were implemented (giving the tax prep companies little time to prepare), that this year we are going to be in for a lot of problems, glitches, bugs, missed deadlines and delayed availability of software components, IRS nastygrams informing us of incorrect preparation despite using software, etc.
Last edited by nisiprius on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:46 am

I agree with Nisiprius that we will have to be patient this tax season.

The tax code change is HUGE and there will be many glitches until at least April 15. For this reason, I will set up my own calculations and will verify the software calculations with mine.

IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:54 am

I heard back from H&R Block. Nobody knows nothing....

Response:
"Good morning, we apologize for any inconvenience. It looks like we're in the process of updating some information for the next tax season. Currently, we don't have a list of supported forms for each product. The web site will go live for 2019 tax season on November 30, 2018."

At this point, I think that the downloadable Deluxe will have what I need- it did in the past and it looks like they intend to support that same functionality for 2018.

Thanks all!

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:14 am

It's too soon to be complaining about tax software. None of the vendors have a finished product yet.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:21 am

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:14 am
It's too soon to be complaining about tax software. None of the vendors have a finished product yet.
I don't see anyone complaining about tax software, just looking for clarification and the specifics of a particular package. You don't have to "have a finished product yet" to have a website that reflects the broad capabilities of your product offerings. Those are established well in advance.

Cheers

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:25 am

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:14 am
I remember Ye Olde Days when I had a slowish internet connection, so I didn't want to deal with downloading anything too big. These were the days of modems with voice phone lines, and in addition to it just taking a long time, downloads taking more than half an hour or so would often error out and need to be re-done. In order to avoid a long download, I once bought tax software in a store, shrink-wrapped in a box, on a CD. And when I installed it from the CD, it wouldn't let me do anything at all except download an "update" that was actually a complete copy of the entire software package. In effect, the CD didn't really have "the software" on it, at all, it was just an access key that enabled you to download the software...
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

b0B

Post by b0B » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:55 am

HueyLD wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:46 am
I agree with Nisiprius that we will have to be patient this tax season.

The tax code change is HUGE and there will be many glitches until at least April 15. For this reason, I will set up my own calculations and will verify the software calculations with mine.
That appears to be an entirely separate issue from the standard every year practice of tax software sellers' calculated vagueness about their product levels to induce people to by a more expensive product than they need (or alternatively to entice them in at a cheaper level, then trap them into an upgrade).

EagleI

Post by EagleI » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:49 am

I downloaded the H&R Block Deluxe 2018 version a few days ago. It has schedule D and related worksheets.