Limited Care FSA outside the US

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
SlowMovingInvestor

Limited Care FSA outside the US

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:29 pm

Can expenses incurred on dental care outside the US be paid for with a limited care FSA ?

I think I have used an FSA to pay for dental care outside the USA before. That time I had an FSA card, and I just used that. I later provided receipts to the FSA administrator.

SlowMovingInvestor

Re: Limited Care FSA outside the US

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:19 am

Reupping this -- anyone know the answer to this or know who might be able to answer (my FSA administrator ? ) ?

No reason limited care FSA can't be used outside the US for properly documened dental and vision expenses, but I'm not sure. As I said, I have used FSAs for this in prior years.

Spirit Rider

Re: Limited Care FSA outside the US

Post by Spirit Rider » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:47 am

The rules for reimbursement of a Limited Purpose FSA is not any different than a General Purpose FSA. The only difference is what qualifies as eligible medical expenses, not where they occur. The same rules would apply to any Medicines and Drugs used in the dental procedures. From the FSA reimbursement "Bible" IRS Publication 502, Medical and Dental Expenses.

Medicines and Drugs From Other Countries
In general, you can't include in your medical expenses the cost of a prescribed drug brought in (or ordered shipped) from another country. You can only include the cost of a drug that was imported legally. For example, you can include the cost of a prescribed drug the Food and Drug Administration announces can be legally imported by individuals. You can include the cost of a prescribed drug you purchase and consume in another country if the drug is legal in both the other country and the United States.