Anyone change career/ start over again?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
alex123711

Anyone change career/ start over again?

Post by alex123711 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:05 pm

I am looking at going back to college for a totally different career and am looking for advice from anyone that has done/ is doing this, whether it worked out well or not and if you have any advice to share?

market timer

Re: Anyone change career/ start over again?

Post by market timer » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:11 pm

It would help to know the change you are considering, otherwise advice will be very generic.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:44 pm

Michael Jordan played baseball after retiring from basketball. Advice... Follow your passion, but don't expect to become an all-star in your new persuit right away... Could take a decade

alex123711

Post by alex123711 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:44 pm

I am currently in the military (Australia) and the job does not really come with the qualifications for good civilian careers

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:48 pm

Cycle wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:44 pm
Michael Jordan played baseball after retiring from basketball. Advice... Follow your passion, but don't expect to become an all-star in your new persuit right away... Could take a decade
Jordan failed at baseball and went back to the NBA where he won the last 3 of his 6 championship.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:01 pm

alex123711 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:44 pm
I am currently in the military (Australia) and the job does not really come with the qualifications for good civilian careers
Combat arms? Support? How many years service?

Have you visited the Australian Department of Veterans' Affairs website?

Also, RSL Defence Care

You might consider changing the title of this thread to something like "Australian military member considering career change" to attract other members with more specific information.

[Edit] You were thinking of accounting or IT in your thread from July 2018: "Any Accountants here?".

Are you still considering those fields?
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

John88

Post by John88 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:55 pm

Alex I was also in the Military (USMC Infantry) and when I left I started to study Administration of Justice in hopes of a federal position like ATF, Customs, etc. I finished a two year program and was about to transfer to a four year college when I changed to a real estate career where I spent the next 25 years. I took a couple of years off in 2008 and when I decided to get back to work I attended career counseling classes. The classes consist of many questions and counseling that end up pointing you in the direction of potential careers that fit your skill set and personality. For example I found I valued consistent hours and pay, no evenings and weekend work, good benefits, and working with people in a helping way. This led me to potential careers in nonprofits or government jobs. I am now with our county Social Services where I feel is an excellent fit for me right now and very different from what I did earlier in my life. I am off every day at 4pm and working out or hiking by 4:20. The work life balance is very valuable to me.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:08 pm

If you haven't already, you may want to do some research on career changes. When I was 40 I left my corporate job which I hated to go into my own business. It wasn't for me so I went back to my old industry and tried to take the bad with the good. I hung in there with a series of downsizings, mergers, freelance jobs. Finally retired in my early 60s. I learned a lot about myself along the way and grew up a lot. I did not want to have any regrets which I don't.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

alex123711

Post by alex123711 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:37 pm

Raymond wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:01 pm
alex123711 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:44 pm
Combat arms? Support? How many years service?

Have you visited the Australian Department of Veterans' Affairs website?

Also, RSL Defence Care

You might consider changing the title of this thread to something like "Australian military member considering career change" to attract other members with more specific information.

[Edit] You were thinking of accounting or IT in your thread from July 2018: "Any Accountants here?".

Are you still considering those fields?
Yes still considering those, however the employment prospects are pretty off putting, the pay isn't great either (in Australia) but that's ok, I'm mainly worried about getting a job.