Kids Inheritance - Lump Sum or SWR?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Kids Inheritance - Lump Sum or SWR?

Post by ThankYouJack »

How's your will / trust set up to transfer your estate to your kids? I know lump sums are common, but I wonder if a SWR say 4% would be better for young adults
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Re: Kids Inheritance - Lump Sum or SWR?

Post by Sandtrap »

Subtrusts.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Tal-

Post by Tal- »

In my (limited) experience, lump sums are actually less common than large chunks. For example, our kids will get two or three large chunks of money between the ages of 18 and 30 (I actually don't remember the specifics, but it's something like that).

I've never heard of anyone doing a % of assets per year over a longer period, such as 4%/year from the ages of 18 to 30. Doing so would put a bit of a strain on the trustee, but it also does some things that I really like, such as teaching a 20-something to get interested in the market.

Also, note that this would be separate trusts, one for each kid/beneficiary.
Debt is to personal finance as a knife is to cooking.
delamer

Post by delamer »

Withdrawals at trustee’s discretion at any time, such as for the downpayment on a home.

Plus percentage of assets distributed at various age milestones until liquidated.

I may change this so that the kids become their own trustees at some milestone rather the trusts being liquidated, based in bsteiner’s comments.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

5 Distributions, One at 90 days, at one year, at two years, at three years, and at five years(skip four years). 20 % per distribution.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Children's inheritances given in trusts, which hopefully will stay in trust, to protect. Their trusts will not have any age requirements for withdrawals as they are around 40ish at the present. If they haven't learned to manage their finances by now, they will never learn. They can deplete their trusts at any time, trusts are theirs to manage. Fortunately they seem to be doing very well.

For grandchildren, trusts with XX-age to withdraw. Their basic college tuition is paid already, but if they go private route might need some for expenses. At whatever time they are able to withdraw, they will have free rein. Hopefully they will be smart and make the money grow. But it is their burden, not mine.

One half estate to DDs, one half estate to grandchildren. Works for me.

Of course there is a chance DW or I or both of us consume the estate via health issues. Hopefully that won't be the case, but one never knows.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Jon H

Post by Jon H »

Two questions:

1. What are you doing to cover state estate taxes, if any?

2. What do you think about a “see through” conduit trust for tax deferred accounts with spendthrift clause?
Consider gain and loss, but never be greedy and everything will be alright (fortune cookie)
JustDumb

Post by JustDumb »

ThankYouJack wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:55 pm How's your will / trust set up to transfer your estate to your kids? I know lump sums are common, but I wonder if a SWR say 4% would be better for young adults
Leave a plan.
Have the executor pay the tax, then give it to the kids if they are over 18.
Teach them how to handle money while you are with them.
Don't try to control everything after you are gone.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

my kids are nearing 30, so they get it immediately. But no will/trust as all assets, including home, will be in ToD/PoD.
Dale_G

Post by Dale_G »

The kids are in their 50s - so lump sums. If they are not adults now, they never will be.

I confess however, that it has been the same way for the last 30 years.

Dale
Volatility is my friend
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

If you do SWR, the most common result will be that the kids end up with more money than they started with and they won't be able to touch most of it. If you want to ensure that the money lasts their lifetime, VPW would be a better option.

Personally, I would do a lump sum unless my kids were drug addicts, in which case I would give it all to charity.
Last edited by aristotelian on Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
denovo

Post by denovo »

ThankYouJack wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:55 pm How's your will / trust set up to transfer your estate to your kids? I know lump sums are common, but I wonder if a SWR say 4% would be better for young adults
I assume age would be relevant. 20 v 30 v 40, etc.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

My 3 kids are all in their 30's. Lump Sum, equal amounts.

Grand-kids: UTMA at age 21.
Iorek

Post by Iorek »

In the will I think it's a lump sum at 25 and one at 30, with maybe a smaller bank account POD? However, the goal would be to do it more SWR-like while alive, by helping with a downpayment, or annual gifts, or grandkid 529s...