Best free online tax return predictor?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
turkey1234

Best free online tax return predictor?

Post by turkey1234 »

I'm looking for a good website to estimate our tax return for next year...suggestions?
CyclingDuo

Re: Best free online tax return predictor?

Post by CyclingDuo »

"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
retired early&luv it

Post by retired early&luv it »

I used to use Turbo Tax Taxcaster web based on line calculator on my computer. But for the past couple years I found that I got more information when I used the Android Taxcaster app instead of using their web based on line calculator.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... r&hl=en_US

They have not updated it yet for this year, but as of last spring they were saying you could put your last year numbers in to see how they would compare to the new tax law. So, maybe that would be good enough for you? But instead I am just waiting for them to release a new version for this year. I won't have reliable dividend numbers until mid December, so for now I am being patient and plan to run the numbers next month.

I had to take a few short cuts, for example they did not have a way for me to enter a dollar value for converting an IRA to a Roth, that is taxable at full tax rate. So, I instead entered those dollars as if they were bank interest to force it to run my actual numbers. In the past it gave me pretty good results.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

AFAIK the personal finance toolbox spreadsheet calculates more credits, phaseouts, etc., than any of the already-mentioned tools. It also includes ACA premium tax credit and IRMAA calculations.

Depends on what one needs....
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

I've been using this one for years. Serves its purpose for me:

http://www.taxvisor.com/taxes/index.html
Chris K Jones

Post by Chris K Jones »

I used this one about a month ago as recomended by another Boglehead to guesstimate my 2018 taxes. It is (or was) much more complete than any other one I found for 2018 taxes.
willyd123

Post by willyd123 »

I've used dinkytown.net for a while and think it's pretty good. Would be interested to know what others think...
vtMaps

Post by vtMaps »

willyd123 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:27 am I've used dinkytown.net for a while and think it's pretty good. Would be interested to know what others think...
As far as I can tell, the dinkytown calculator does not incorporate the 20% pass through deduction for self-employed sole proprietors.

--vtMaps
"Truly, whoever can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" --Voltaire, as translated by Norman Lewis Torrey
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

I use a home grown spreadsheet that I tweak from year to year as tax brackets and circumstances change.
Carson

Post by Carson »

SRenaeP wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:26 pm I use a home grown spreadsheet that I tweak from year to year as tax brackets and circumstances change.
I do too, but it was really validating to see the Mortgage Calculator was spot-on to my spreadsheet.
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe »

When you use these tools, it is always a good idea to double check with another tool or two to confirm your answer.
I just recently discovered the olt calculator above. However I found some significant differences when I checked with other calculators like the hr block and the mortgage calculator 1040 aka Dinkytown.......a bit tricky since with some situations the answers were the same. I will have to give olt an A+ for response to feedback.........within a few hrs they had fixed the problems.