Free Credit Monitoring - Need All 3 Credit Bureaus Included

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
CaptainMarvel

Free Credit Monitoring - Need All 3 Credit Bureaus Included

Post by CaptainMarvel » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:39 pm

Is anyone aware of a combination of free credit monitoring services I could sign up for that would cover all 3 credit bureaus? For example, Credit Karma only includes 2 credit bureaus (Transunion and Equifax) but not Experian. I'd like to cancel my subscription to a monthly fee credit monitoring service and instead just sign up for 2-3 free services. However, I'd like to ensure all 3 credit bureaus are covered.

Thank you.

wolf359

Re: Free Credit Monitoring - Need All 3 Credit Bureaus Included

Post by wolf359 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:46 pm

Just lock all 3 credit bureaus. It's free, and much more effective than a monitoring agency. It's also very easy.

CaptainMarvel

Post by CaptainMarvel » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:17 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, however, I'd prefer not to freeze the credit since I might apply for a new credit card from time to time.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:47 pm

CaptainMarvel wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:17 pm
Thanks for the suggestion, however, I'd prefer not to freeze the credit since I might apply for a new credit card from time to time.
You can temporarily unfreeze your credit to apply for credit cards. Should be done in less than an hour and for free.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/finance ... ur-credit/
Last edited by mervinj7 on Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:57 pm

Freecreditscore.com for Experian provided by Experian itself.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:29 pm

mervinj7 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:47 pm
CaptainMarvel wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:17 pm
You can temporarily unfreeze your credit to apply for credit cards. Should be done in less than an hour and for free.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/finance ... ur-credit/
+1000

Monitoring is useless, freeze everything to prevent misuse in the first place. Remember an once of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

So with monitoring you get to find out your ID has been stolen and they have open seven or eight accounts in your SSN. Now you get to spend hours contacting these agencies, faxing, mailing notarized paperwork to them to clean things up. When this happened to my wife we were still dealing with issues 5 years out.

Or you could just freeze your credit files and avoid the ID theft in the first place.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:03 am

Agree with the uselessness of credit monitoring. No reason not to freeze now that it is free. First sighn up for a credit karma account that shows 2 of the 3 fake scores, and a mysocialsecurity account, then freeze.

Trism

Post by Trism » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:57 am

mhalley wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:03 am
Agree with the uselessness of credit monitoring. No reason not to freeze now that it is free. First sighn up for a credit karma account that shows 2 of the 3 fake scores, and a mysocialsecurity account, then freeze.
Why would you sign up for Credit Karma if credit monitoring is useless? Credit Karma alerts me every time there's an inquiry on TU or Equifax.

The skores are definitely worthless, but the free monitoring is nice.