IRS Issues

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
btenny

IRS Issues

Post by btenny » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:17 pm

Well I guess I goofed again. Back in July I found out I had not withdrawn enough from my wife's inherited IRA. I did the math wrong by a little so I needed to take out about $130 more for three previous years, 2015-2017. So I filled out forms 5329 but used the 2017 form with the date crossed out above and put both our names at the top. Then I sent the forms in with a letter.

So this week I get a letter from the IRS that says I needed to redo the whole thing and resend the forms within 30 days. They want me to use the exact 2015-2017 forms (with the date at the top even though the form has not changed) and redo the data and put only my wife's name on them as it was her inherited IRA.

Well I cannot do this as all my tax files are put away at my Tahoe home and I am in Phoenix for the winter. So in order to do new forms I need the data I already calculated and sent. So I want to log onto the IRS site for my return and print the forms and my tax data. But when I tried to set up and log on the IRS wanted to run a credit check against my credit cards before letting me get the data. But I have my credit locked and some other issues. Is unlocking my credit like this the only way to get my tax data from the IRS?

Any suggestions?

clydewolf

Re: IRS Issues

Post by clydewolf » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:00 pm

Call the IRS and explain that you need more than 30 days to retrieve the data, and suggest the amount of time you need.
Make the trip to Tahoe get your data. Then redo the whole thing as the IRS requests.

cas

Post by cas » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:01 pm

btenny wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:17 pm
So I want to log onto the IRS site for my return and print the forms and my tax data. But when I tried to set up and log on the IRS wanted to run a credit check against my credit cards before letting me get the data. But I have my credit locked and some other issues. Is unlocking my credit like this the only way to get my tax data from the IRS?
If what you want is the tax return transcript (and I don't know whether that is sufficient for your needs or not), there are several ways to get it without it going through the whole credit-card/cell-phone-on-a-contract/thawed-credit security process:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/how-to-get ... om-the-irs
(if you follow the actual link, there are hyperlinks that got washed out when I quoted it.)
To get a transcript, people can:

Order online. Use the ‘Get Transcript ’ tool available on IRS.gov. There is a link to it under the red TOOLS bar on the front page. Those who use it must authenticate their identity using the Secure Access process.

Order by phone. The number to call is 800-908-9946.

Order by mail. Complete and send either Form 4506-T or Form 4506T-EZ to the IRS to get one by mail. Use Form 4506-T to request other tax records: tax account transcript, record of account, wage and income and verification of non-filing. These forms are available on the Forms & Pubs page on IRS.gov

. . .

Delivery times for online and phone orders typically take five to 10 days from the time the IRS receives the request. You should allow 30 days to receive a transcript ordered by mail and 75 days for copies of your tax return.
Note that there are 2 ways to "order online." One lets you order online and receive the transcript online immediately. But this way method requires the extra security process involving the whole credit-card-in-your-name, mobile-phone-with-a-contract, thawed credit, etc, etc, etc process.

The other is to *order* it online but *receive* it by snail mail, which does not go through the extra security process. The catch is that they will send it to the address listed on your most recent 1040 return, so if that is Tahoe (not Phoenix), you've still got a problem. I'm going to guess that the phone method sends it to the address listed on your most recent 1040 as well.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:44 am

From what I've heard, unless you do it online, you will never get those tax returns in time to get this done in 30 days. Is there someone that can get them from your Tahoe home and email/fax/mail them? Otherwise, I would unlock the credit and do it that way.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:07 pm

cas wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:01 pm
The other is to *order* it online but *receive* it by snail mail, which does not go through the extra security process. The catch is that they will send it to the address listed on your most recent 1040 return, so if that is Tahoe (not Phoenix), you've still got a problem. I'm going to guess that the phone method sends it to the address listed on your most recent 1040 as well.
This could be the solution. I'm guessing since this poster got the notice, then there is a way this poster is getting mail from the home address.

btenny

Post by btenny » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:45 pm

Thanks for the advice. I looked around at my travel files and found copies of the stuff I sent the IRS. So now all I need to do is figure out what to send in. After more reading of the instructions I think I need to do a 1040X for each year plus a form 5329. One form of each for each year I goofed up. So a ton of paper for a three $40 errors.

Anyone else done this?